Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- DISCUSSION

PS3 i heard was one other platform of gaming console other than pc

PS3 i heard was one other platform of gaming console other than pc

Seems like not something from the wishlist or ideas thread. Please post appropriately. Non-related discussions within a thread are considered spam.

Essentially, he wants the ability to be able to select multiple units at the same time and just hit playable once to make them all playable.

What is the purpose of this, is it for multiplayer missions?

What is the purpose of this, is it for multiplayer missions?

or certain versions of singelplayer missions. It's good simple suggestion.

or certain versions of singelplayer missions. It's good simple suggestion.

I don't understand why we have the option to make multiple infantry units playable in the editor, is it possible to 'switch' infantry avatars ingame?

I don't understand why we have the option to make multiple infantry units playable in the editor, is it possible to 'switch' infantry avatars ingame?

Yes, it is possible to switch (try T and Y, I believe?). Besides making 80+ slots playable is a pain (As myself and im certain others will have to do for MP missions as well). I would really love it if they put that ability in. Will safe a lot of mouse clicks! Or, if you copy a playable unit it becomes also playable.

Yes, it is possible to switch (try T and Y, I believe?).

I am soooo blown away by this man! Been playing arma for years and years and always aborted my missions when I wanted to play as a different infantry unit, I feel like such a dumbass now. Thanks for your reply.

It's main purpose is to specify which units will be available to choose from in the multiplay lobby.

The ability to lock on to and engage multiple targets at the same time. Like multiple Jdam targets or multiple Hellfire strikes.

would love to see this :)

On the point of more color saturation, it would be nice if BIS added a Color saturation slider to the video options.

Along the lines of what Grand Theft auto 4 and Red Dead Redemption do would appeal to the people who enjoy more rich colors.

I made some edited Pictures [http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?125819-ArmA-3-Community-wishes-amp-ideas-NO-DISCUSSION&p=2144130&viewfull=1#post2144130] (they are a bit too much saturated, it was made just to show off what I mean).

I think the whole HDR System of Arma II needs an overhaul. It was too much. It gave sometimes nice pictures but also it made some unrealistic things.

To make optional features or scalable effects is always the best method. HDR (H stands for High, and not for Low ;) ) means of course that our eyes dont have this effect of cameras with that white blend. A little of it is nice but too much feels you are living through a camera not your eyes.

And the colours need less yellow more blue and squishy green. (at least in the old official screenshots, maybe the weather for the Engine was rainy or sth.)

Edited by tremanarch

ArmA needs an action key,

A key to perfom moves and actions, open doors, use ladders, pick up weapons from the ground etc i don't understand why it has to be used through the action menu, the weakest point of ArmA and the drawback of the gameplay.

ArmA needs an action key,

A key to perfom moves and actions, open doors, use ladders, pick up weapons from the ground etc i don't understand why it has to be used through the action menu, the weakest point of ArmA and the drawback of the gameplay.

If you just press the middle mouse button you already perform the action as shown by the icon, you only really need to use the action menu if you want to do a different action.

I made some edited Pictures [http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?125819-ArmA-3-Community-wishes-amp-ideas-NO-DISCUSSION&p=2144130&viewfull=1#post2144130] (they are a bit too much saturated, it was made just to show off what I mean).

I think the whole HDR System of Arma II needs an overhaul. It was too much. It gave sometimes nice pictures but also it made some unrealistic things.

To make optional features or scalable effects is always the best method. HDR (H stands for High, and not for Low ;) ) means of course that our eyes dont have this effect of cameras with that white blend. A little of it is nice but too much feels you are living through a camera not your eyes.

And the colours need less yellow more blue and squishy green. (at least in the old official screenshots, maybe the weather for the Engine was rainy or sth.)

Some of that desaturation might actually be your computer's saturation settings. I upped the saturation on my screen (saturation is colorfulness, desaturation is how uncolorful something is). And, the ArmA3 screens and ArmA2 look much better. Your pics look too saturated to me. In all, I think that ArmA3's saturation levels are fine. Try to see if you can find a way to up your computer's saturation. Chances are, your video settings may be too desaturated. I've got a dell, so there's an easy way to change that. Nvidia has their own settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. Pretty sure AMD has some kind of setting as well.

I have an IPS Dell with really good colours.. I think better than avergage gamers, as they all use TN Panels. My guess is, your screen is maybe oversaturated?

And the two Arma Screens are too brown/green. One can clearly see that. My guess is, that its maybe in the evening time and rainy too.. but even then..

this is a RL Picture: http://www.go-greece-vacations.com/images/limnos.jpg

in your eyes that is oversaturated? well tell nature then ;) or wear yellow sunglasses.

in arma it would look like that: http://s1.directupload.net/images/120504/ffuhcqo6.jpg

"arma-esque " lets call it ;) not being sarcastic, i like arma, but sometimes I think they overdid it slightly.

Nowadays it is modern to recolour everything artificial. You see that with these kind of blue-orange movies (http://www.slashfilm.com/orangeblue-contrast-in-movie-posters/). Or in TV Advertisements (http://data.motor-talk.de/data/galleries/0/62/3360/32304551/bmw-werbung-1532257075114382983.jpg <-> http://s7.directupload.net/images/120504/luwc4b8a.jpg). But it is not real. Easy minded people think it looks cool, or great or professional or something.

Edited by tremanarch

Tremanarch's edited screens look better than the originals to me. I like me some proper saturation.

I dont want to disturb BIS. A game is like art, and its their art direction. WHo am I to interfere. And at least I like their style since i first played the Operation Flashpoint demo in 2001?or 2002..

It was just a little wake up call. They should not overdo it, or we end up playing in Sepia ^^ (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/Astrid_Princess_of_Sweden.jpg)

Dont get me wrong I __DONT__ mean it should look like that: http://s14.directupload.net/images/120504/2y7kweoz.jpg

*Cough* BF3 *Cough*

Edited by tremanarch

Good morning tremanarch - what if those screenshots are made with A3 "ambient/film filter" module? Such filters are already in A2OA.... :rolleyes:

could be, as I said, I dont know for sure what causes this (Weather conditions? Post FX? something else?), but the colour seems for normal Reality too wrong. And as they exist to showcase their new engine, without any explanation, one can assume that is taken from the gameplay and not a special FX Scene which doesnt show the full potential. One could assume that they used then maybe Film Grain or sth. to show that.

ANd I repeat: I like the colorless Picture overall, and there are some screenshots they look so fine, one cant easily say if that is a game or a real life photography. Just some of these pictures stuck out in my eyes - so I had to make a little test in my Video Software, and what it showed, I liked to post in the forums. Thats all. Just a suggestion.

Edited by tremanarch

I have an IPS Dell with really good colours.. I think better than avergage gamers, as they all use TN Panels. My guess is, your screen is maybe oversaturated?

And the two Arma Screens are too brown/green. One can clearly see that. My guess is, that its maybe in the evening time and rainy too.. but even then..

this is a RL Picture: http://www.go-greece-vacations.com/images/limnos.jpg

in your eyes that is oversaturated? well tell nature then ;) or wear yellow sunglasses.

in arma it would look like that: http://s1.directupload.net/images/120504/ffuhcqo6.jpg

"arma-esque " lets call it ;) not being sarcastic, i like arma, but sometimes I think they overdid it slightly.

Nowadays it is modern to recolour everything artificial. You see that with these kind of blue-orange movies (http://www.slashfilm.com/orangeblue-contrast-in-movie-posters/). Or in TV Advertisements (http://data.motor-talk.de/data/galleries/0/62/3360/32304551/bmw-werbung-1532257075114382983.jpg <-> http://s7.directupload.net/images/120504/luwc4b8a.jpg). But it is not real. Easy minded people think it looks cool, or great or professional or something.

Actually, yeah, that pic does look oversaturated on my screen. But it's cuz I've turned my saturation up. And, I did that because the colors on my PC screen didn't look vibrant enough. Like the blue and the reds, for example, looked too desaturated on my screen. But, I've basically done what you did to the image, I just applied that to EVERYTHING by changing my computer's saturation levels instead of editing just another image. But, most real pics on the internet don't look oversaturated on my screen. And the ArmA3 screens on my screen look perfect. Because I did the same thing at first (increased saturation on the ArmA3 screens). Once I changed my computer's saturation levels, I had to go back and desaturate the ArmA3 screens.

Like, for example, does this look too desaturated to you?

myrina-map.jpg

Because, it looks pretty good on my screen. Most images of Lemnos look fine on my screen, a lot less saturation than that pic you put up. So, idk.

Edited by antoineflemming

I wanna point this out and i'm sorry if someone beat me to it on this very page but....using photographic examples of what real life colors would definitively look like is a BAD idea. Photographs, just like any image rendered can have the colors adjusted to the photographer's liking via digitally or chemically as well as other factors in place when the image was taken. It is the single most subjective subject to any discussion and should always be left in the end, to the user itself. If you think colors in a game are dull, you have a saturation setting on your monitor of graphics settings that can fix that, same for vice versa. If ArmA should strive for anything in this subject, it would be a happy medium.

If you think colors in a game are dull, you have a saturation setting on your monitor of graphics settings that can fix that, same for vice versa. If ArmA should strive for anything in this subject, it would be a happy medium.

In addition to that, there are in-game post processing modules such as "movie-day", movie-night" etc which change exactly this and will most likely be in Arma 3 as well :)

All this argument is going no where. The colours are a bit off. Thats the point. And adjusting Monitor Levels or NVidia settings is not gonna work. I wont do that and you shouldnt either. Monitors are calibrated for a reason.

And adding colour via post rendering is not clever. You cant polish a turdle. When there is lack of colour, saturation will just add distortion. The more of these posteffects are rendered the more information is lost and the more distortion is added.

They could just add an option like: sunglasses: blue, yellow, green, orange, non...

In real life earth has less colours only when it gets dark. And therefore its okay. but the world has colour and that gives lot of information. Of course colour is hard to work with, cause it looks artificial when done wrong. Its easier to desaturate than to have right colours. But it wont be more realistic with less colours it just doesnt look so wrong in the first place.

Edited by tremanarch

And adding colour via post rendering is not clever.

No, it isn't, but that's not what people are talking about.

The postprocessing modules in Arma2 generally desaturate the colors (mostly used in the campaigns and missions), so it is possible that (some of) the Arma3 screens are showing similar modules in use. The vanilla game (without postprocessing modules) might have more vibrant and natural colors, as seen in some of the positive screenshots you linked to. It's all speculation at this moment though.