Delta Hawk

US Military Mod (80s 90s)

Looks really good, can't wait for this! I can imagine playing with these units on Everon or Saruago, that would be awesome!

Vilas was going to port his work to A3 but seems that's out of the question now.

I don't see how it would be out of the question.  The scope of his work is so much greater than mine with many different units, vehicles and nations.  I'm just doing the US Military.

Looks really good, can't wait for this! I can imagine playing with these units on Everon or Saruago, that would be awesome!

Or maybe...Tanoa ;)  ;) as a member of a certain Naval special forces unit ;)  ;)

• Like 3

I don't see how it would be out of the question.  The scope of his work is so much greater than mine with many different units, vehicles and nations.  I'm just doing the US Military.

Vilas stated before that he wasn't going to port or allow ports, is the problem. At least, that's the last info I remember. He's not been active on the A3 part of the forums in ages.

Definitely my favorite time period to play ARMA in. Thanks for all your work. Can't wait to make some missions with your duders.

Loved this mod in ArmA 2.

Great to hear you'll be using CUP. I hope by the time that you'll be releasing this, CUP has released their vehicles/units & updated their weapons so all is good.

In regards to vehicles, I guess since you're using CUP you can probably expect people to use CUP's M998 HMMVWs that they will release. And please, no radio mod requirements ^^.

Optional replacement configs written by you or community members are however always appreciated I imagine.

Kind regards,

Sanchez

@delta hawk

Are you going to add less formal dressed units, eg. with trousers outside the boots? RAID BDU/DCUs?

Great to hear you'll be using CUP. I hope by the time that you'll be releasing this, CUP has released their vehicles/units & updated their weapons so all is good.

In regards to vehicles, I guess since you're using CUP you can probably expect people to use CUP's M998 HMMVWs that they will release. And please, no radio mod requirements ^^.

I'm not going to require their vehicles.  Even though I feel that ArmA2's vehicles are of good quality, they are not as accurate as I would like.

@delta hawk

Are you going to add less formal dressed units, eg. with trousers outside the boots? RAID BDU/DCUs?

I'm not going to include those kinds of BDUs with the straight port, but afterwards if I do decide to continue public development, I will include what would be considered special forces BDUs for the 90s.

• Like 1

Personally I think releasing it using CUP weapons is pretty much a mistake because requiring us to use any optional PBOs will instantly introduce like 50 other things for a server owner to do, and try convincing members of a clan/group to sit there and move a few PBOs, alot harder then it sounds lol.

CUP is open source, so just port all the weapons from CUP that you need, and leave out the other ones (because frankly some are not the greatest), so we don't have to have the whole CUP arsenal cluttering our inventory. And, most of the western stuff wasn't too bad so, the quality should be ok. I would rather just use like, probably RHS and this mod (to represent older or newer time period), with no  dependencies, and if CUP is a dependency then thats a whole nother list of weapons to clog the arsenal, more then half of which won't be used by the mod.

I'm hype for the mod though, it was awesome in arma 2 :)

Edit:

Also yeah, as other people have said, lets hope that CUP updates, it could allievate some major concerns, would still be a quite a large dependency though.

Personally I think releasing it using CUP weapons is pretty much a mistake because requiring us to use any optional PBOs will instantly introduce like 50 other things for a server owner to do, and try convincing members of a clan/group to sit there and move a few PBOs, alot harder then it sounds lol.

I appreciate everyone's feedback on the CUP issue.  I'm listening to you guys and I'm trying to figure out a way to make it easier for people to use my mod.  How would you all feel if I made a weapon pack for my mod with assets donated by other community members?

• Like 1

I appreciate everyone's feedback on the CUP issue.  I'm listening to you guys and I'm trying to figure out a way to make it easier for people to use my mod.  How would you all feel if I made a weapon pack for my mod with assets donated by other community members?

I might be a bit crazy but if you will indulge me here is my suggestion. Firstly I will pre-face this by saying I recognize this is your mod and you are free to do whatever you want :)

I'd suggest defining the units in a separate pbo to the rest of the mod. Then in this separate pbo define all the units and make it use the CUP weapons. This way for those who want the units with CUP compatibility, they can just use that pbo. Those that prefer other weapon packs are then free to create their own pbos defining the units with whatever weapons they please.

I believe in theory this *might* be a good way to keep people happy, still allow the use of CUP and you wouldn't need to then create a weapon pack. Ultimately those who don't want the CUP dependancy are free to create their own unit config pbo. You might even get people to volunteer and donate unit pbos that require other weapons back.

I think alot of people would be pretty satisfied if you were able to get some mod makers to lend you their models. However, CUP does offer everything right off the bat, at the cost of mostly being low-end A2 ports.

I would prefer the former option, personally. I've PMed you some mod maker's work that you might be interested in trying to get.

Also, perhaps make an optional PBO only adding the gear? This would negate the weapon issue for a lot of people, and many groups distribute gear to players via an assignGear script. Just a thought.

Sounds to me like a great idea, specially if you release all together in one pack (if anyone else wants to use and other weapon pack can write a config for it).  :)

I suppose you could organise it like this:

1. Main .pbo addon that just adds the uniform objects etc.
  2. Secondary config addon that provides editor-placeable units, with a weapon pack dependency

Since the Virtual Arsenal became a thing, I think a lot of individuals and groups in the multiplayer environment make their own customised "loadouts" anyway. Separating out the editor units with set weapons can cater to the people who just want to mix and match weapon packs and uniforms, while scenario editors can use the proper unit config and demand users to install it when they play that scenario.

• Like 1

I really look forward to this mod, it will be a great addition to my community's play set up. I am sure the quality will be outstanding yet again.
I think that is why it is important not to impose the limitations of addon requirements. My community is exactly what was described above by da12thMonkey and given how many mods we have/are willing to have, if CUP is an unavoidable requirement of this mod my community will unfortunately not use it. I also don't favor the solution of including your own weapons developed from another source, especially if they are there just so the uniforms have a weapon to carry around; thus not of good playing standard quality. And even if you sourced HLC or RH AR-15s, for example, well, my community like many others already uses those mods, so it would be wasteful. This would also be an issue for other communities if you source from a different weapon pack.

Hence I agree entirely with da12thMonkey. My community, on the rare times we use BLUFOR AI, only ever uses vanilla NATO blufor AI with init commands to give them the gear we want (the idea being to make the mission.sqm versatile). Given how easy it is to export custom loadouts in the arsenal, I am sure we are not alone in this.

And even with modded AI we use commonly, I went into the relevant server .pbo a long time ago to customize their loadouts, since that is handled serverside. 

So I beg that you include no weapons or weapon mod requirements. Thank you very much.

• Like 1

I agree with what Snippers and da12thMonkey suggested. It would be more convenient for me.

The mod looks really promising. Can't wait to see where you take this!

I agree with what Snippers and da12thMonkey suggested. It would be more convenient for me.

The mod looks really promising. Can't wait to see where you take this!

+1; however, as for what weapons you actually use, here are some things to consider.

In my opinion, your initial decision to rely on CUP was a sound one. Some have suggested utilising mods like RH's M4/M16 pack, HLC's weapon packs, and even RHS (which makes no sense to me, seeing as RHS deals with a completely different time period) for understandable reasons, but as soon as you start mixing different, unrelated authors into your dependencies, you're introducing functional and aesthetic inconsistencies into your mod which you, not being the author, have limited control over.

Obviously, including CUP weapons would be the logical solution to easily arming your units in a consistent (and not to mention much more complete) fashion. I'm sure this is the conclusion you first came to when creating this thread. Just as obviously, though, is that there are no doubt going to be grumbles if you decide to go down this path, and indeed some are grumbling already at the prospect! Either way, if you choose to separate your item configs and assets from your unit configs, you're then giving people the freedom to make up their own minds as to what weapons they'll use while still providing a complete solution that's both easy for you and the end-user to implement.

CUP seems like the easy option, then, and might pay off greatly depending on how high the CUP team manages to raise the standard of their ports. If quality is still a concern, however, then the other option I see - which has already been suggested - is relying on donations from other modders. The way I see it, this would be done so that you could orchestrate the unification of the quality of those assets yourself: sound, configuration, animation, etc, all in alignment, and all appropriately tuned to the 80s 90s setting. That would mean a lot more work for you, though, and from what I've read I can't quite decide whether or not I think you'd even consider it (it would also hinge on getting those asset donations in the first place, mind).

Honestly, in an ideal world I'd just ring up toadie2k myself and offer him a large sum of money for if he'd make all the period-accurate weapons you needed (yes, I am that keen for some good 80s 90s units). Unfortunately, I have neither toadie2k's number, nor a large sum of money, but that's the way the cookie crumbles  :P

As for the suggestion that you should simply cherry pick what you need from whatever mod/s and then smoosh it all into your own addon, I say bollocks to that. For example, what if you were using half of CUP's stuff but some people wanted to use the other half too? Duplicates. Duplicates everywhere. Bollocks!  :D

Anyway, obvious from the fact that it's now past 2am and I'm still sitting up thinking and writing about all this is that I'm very excited for this mod, and so I wish you all the success you deserve. One closing question: do you have in mind any particular enemies for your units? Or will you be leaving that question open to other modders?

• Like 2

+1 for donated weapons pack with only the needed guns (and optional configs for CUP and possibly other smaller size weapons pack later down the road)?

I like the idea of a donated weapons pack, or maybe even how one guy suggested just not having any weapons in the pack, so we can use whatever weapons and stuff we want with the uniforms

I would defintley suggest not going the route of mutiple PBOs where you can delete PBOs or anything. I think dicking around with PBO files presents too much of a hassle when getting other people to download the mod or clan/group stuff.

Just use CUP, they have AT weaponry (AT4, Javelin, etc...) It really comes down to that. I don't think most people understand the difficulty of handpicking the best M16-A2 then the best 1st gen 249 etc. CUP is also ACE compatible.

• Like 3

At the end of the day, do what you believe is the best decision. Its your addon/mod at the end of the day ;)

• Like 3

Looks good, can't wait. I'll finally have a reason to play A3 now!

• Like 2

At the end of the day, do what you believe is the best decision. Its your addon/mod at the end of the day ;)

QFT

• Like 1