Jump to content

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Sniperwolf572 said:

 

Because it doesn't work the way you are imagining it. The only "blow" to anyone is this time, because from then on, steam workshop acts as RHS updater, except faster and cheaper.

Workshop:
Pros:
Partial downloads (good if you've got shitty internet plan), fast, no cost to RHS
Cons: -

 

 

Even more: SW provides actual delta patching. So only those bits are replaced that are actually changed. Plus, Steam offeres compression....

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the usage of SW for maintainers of dedicated servers is way more effort than any of the other mentioned methods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, J.ONeill said:

 

And that has what to do with the fact that for those with really bad internet service providers, this is a huge blow to them, and an issue for server owners as wells. I'd rather not log into my steam account on a third party server just to update the mod.

 

Okay, yeah, it cost money in server fees to upload it onto their own server. Why not upload it to a Torrent site where  they don't have to pay server fees?

Why should they have to give up their free time to make a mod for you and then have to pay for it too? If downloading is such a major problem for you that's no ones problem but yours.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, J.ONeill said:

Actually, for Torrents, full downloads aren't a con. As long as the mod retains the same structure, you can point a torrent at an already existing directory, and it will scan that directory and download/replace anything that has changed. Same as workshop, same as RHS updater. Partial downloads are entirely possible.

 

Edit: At least, it has always worked like this for me with uTorrent. Maybe other torrent clients are different.

 

If you want to use your torrent client in ways that it was not intended to be used and it works for you, that's your risk to take, but I wouldn't trust it. Chances are, even if it works, you're going to download more anyway depending on the chunk size compared to a tool meant for the job.

 

12 minutes ago, Redphoenix said:

Even more: SW provides actual delta patching. So only those bits are replaced that are actually changed. Plus, Steam offeres compression....

 

Yup, it's what I meant by partial downloads, I did not want to go in depth. Besides, I'm sure it also gives you guys more confidence to release smaller hotfixes and whatnot without too much of a fuss.

Thumbs up for the move anyway, I'm glad the pros finally outweighed the cons of "workshop is evil and will take our souls" general attitude of yesteryear.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice job on the release guys, the serbian stuff is really cool and i love the new US atv. Happy its on the workshop now too :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PuFu said:

________________________________________

I have created and i am seeding these torrent files until friday at most. I am on a 500/100MB connection so initial speed is not an issue.

 

That said, do seed further please
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0TurMckbx-bR0VVNEJsbFdWNjA

 

Thank you again for the Torrents. I was able to update our server much more quickly this way.

 

Will continue seeding until it reaches a 1:3 ratio.

 

I apologize if I came off as demanding or demeaning of your work. I was merely voicing a concern as a victim of poor ISP (yay for 375kbps download speeds) as wells as being one responsible for updating my unit's server mods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sniperwolf572 said:

Thumbs up for the move anyway, I'm glad the pros finally outweighed the cons of "workshop is evil and will take our souls" general attitude of yesteryear.

we said this n times now: we had to acquire an agreement from everyone that has even the smallest bolt done and available in the current releases...and that takes a bit of an effort and time to do, especially with the people that are not really about the arma community anymore. no one here said that steam is the enemy, quite the contrary.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Sniperwolf572 said:

Torrents:
Pros: Fast if there are good seeders, no cost to RHS
Cons: No partial downloads (bad if you've got shitty internet plan), slow if there are bad seeders

 

18 minutes ago, J.ONeill said:

Actually, for Torrents, full downloads aren't a con. As long as the mod retains the same structure, you can point a torrent at an already existing directory, and it will scan that directory and download/replace anything that has changed. Same as workshop, same as RHS updater. Partial downloads are entirely possible.

 

Edit: At least, it has always worked like this for me with uTorrent. Maybe other torrent clients are different.

 

5 minutes ago, Sniperwolf572 said:

If you want to use your torrent client in ways that it was not intended to be used and it works for you, that's your risk to take, but I wouldn't trust it. Chances are, you're going to download more depending on the chunk size.

 

These actual .torrent files we use right now provided by PuFu are made from mod directory, so yeah, partial download is possible. Rehash on update is one of intended BT uses. BT also guarantees bitwise identity of data when finished. So no risk unless you accidentally mess with destination directory and overwrite old one which is still in use.

In case of RHS 0.4.2 you could get this numbers just by rehashing 0.4.1.1 directories: 724.0 / 4088.8 for @RHSAFRF and 648.0 / 3935.7 for @RHSUSAF. Not that much as if with delta patching (which is indeed the most effective way) but still something.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PuFu said:

we said this n times now: we had to acquire an agreement from everyone that has even the smallest bolt done and available in the current releases...and that takes a bit of an effort and time to do, especially with the people that are not really about the arma community anymore. no one here said that steam is the enemy, quite the contrary.

I fully get it, it's not meant to be a critique or a stab towards you guys, I'm just summarizing ye olden threads on the forums regarding the topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I probably wouldn't have seen the 6B43 was added unless I had looked at the changelog. Its awesome, even without pouches! Of course this is only a small highlight of the many other equally amazing things your team has delivered and refined here today. I'm not sure there's much else I could possibly ask for from you at this point. Thank you for everything thus far. Great update.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was gonna gorge myself on RHS as soon as it released anyway, but it's nice it came after my tests :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sniperwolf572 said:

 

Because it doesn't work the way you are imagining it. The only "blow" to anyone is this time, because from then on, steam workshop acts as RHS updater, except faster and cheaper.

 

RHS updater:
Pros: Partial downloads (good if you've got shitty internet plan)
Cons: Slow, high cost to RHS

Torrents:
Pros: Fast if there are good seeders, no cost to RHS
Cons: No partial downloads (bad if you've got shitty internet plan), slow if there are bad seeders

Workshop:
Pros:
Partial downloads (good if you've got shitty internet plan), fast, no cost to RHS
Cons: -

The con for the workshop is that you can't choose where to install the mod, which is a massive pain on small SSD's

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After a bit of testing (I still have a lot to discover in the new update... :satisfied:) I must say: job well done, thank you very much! :smile_o: I especially appreciate that you added tons of stuff that will be useful for add-ons depending on your mod. For example, I already equipped my Caucasian rebels with the new Serbian vests:

 

xNDPCcW.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone having any issues with ACE Compatibility? Checking here before I update my dedicated server's mods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J.ONeill said:

Is anyone having any issues with ACE Compatibility? Checking here before I update my dedicated server's mods.

ACE3 maintains compatibility so wait for them to update, where needed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jastreb said:

ACE3 maintains compatibility so wait for them to update, where needed.

Oh, I know it's up to ACE to update their stuff. Just wondering if anyone who has updated has come across compatibility issues with current version that would negatively affect people who join my server. If so, am going to wait to update. :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, J.ONeill said:

Oh, I know it's up to ACE to update their stuff. Just wondering if anyone who has updated has come across compatibility issues with current version that would negatively affect people who join my server. If so, am going to wait to update. :).

All i can suggest it test it yourself, or just be patient. The ACE team will need time before they go and release an update. After all addon making is a hobby, its not a job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, R0adki11 said:

All i can suggest it test it yourself, or just be patient. The ACE team will need time before they go and release an update. After all addon making is a hobby, its not a job.

I can't, though. That's why I'm asking others. I can update my server remotely, but I am still downloading the RHS update for myself and that won't be done for a few hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J.ONeill said:

I can't, though. That's why I'm asking others. I can update my server remotely, but I am still downloading the RHS update for myself and that won't be done for a few hours.

Well RHS Update was only released today, its far too early to say if it works or doesn't. But so far no one has posted anything, so it probably all works.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, succo said:

The con for the workshop is that you can't choose where to install the mod, which is a massive pain on small SSD's

 

You can though, the function is a little hidden but I remember that I set up a custom mod directory a while ago

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×