CUP

Community Upgrade Project - CUP

RedPhoenix made some nice textures for AK-47

6U3uTt4m.jpg

(Click for high res)

Beautiful! Are more textures of this quality planned?

If they are possible without remodeling the whole gun - Yes.

The M4/M16 series is going to be VERY difficult, as the models themselves are pretty bad.

I wanted to write in here and say thanks for bringing this pack to life guys.

I downloaded it just before I was supposed to go to bed and spent most of the night shooting things with your mod :)

The quality's really good and I'm looking forward to playing about with it more. I really like the texture style, very gritty and cool.

If they are possible without remodeling the whole gun - Yes.

The M4/M16 series is going to be VERY difficult, as the models themselves are pretty bad.

For anyone wondering why, apparently they're just retouched models from ArmA 1, which released almost a decade ago... how could they have possibly held up versus from-scratch models?

How about weapon sounds, I was thinking that it'd be good to use those from the ACE SM. Those IMO were much better than the old JSRS ones. Just a suggestion.

A complete rework of all weapon sounds is in progress, including tail sounds. I am working the sounds from the scratch so no sounds from previous mods or vanilla arma will be included.

Haha. It looks like that almost all team members of CUP are German :D

Haha. It looks like that almost all team members of CUP are German :D

As I said to Kllrt when he brought it up. It takes efficiency to complete a project like this.

A complete rework of all weapon sounds is in progress, including tail sounds. I am working the sounds from the scratch so no sounds from previous mods or vanilla arma will be included.

Any plans to release an optional compatibility patch so JSRS/SOS will be able to overwrite the sounds? I'm sure your audio will be great, however I prefer there to be unification with sounds/quality rather than having 2 or 3 of the same weapons that all sound different. Also are you making custom sounds based off of what you believe sounds right? Or are you making sounds to replicate the real-world counterpart?

Any plans to release an optional compatibility patch so JSRS/SOS will be able to overwrite the sounds? I'm sure your audio will be great, however I prefer there to be unification with sounds/quality rather than having 2 or 3 of the same weapons that all sound different. Also are you making custom sounds based off of what you believe sounds right? Or are you making sounds to replicate the real-world counterpart?

My goal is to stay as close as possible to the real world. But what is the real world anyway? Everybody hears it different. It also depends on the distance and angle to the soundsource.

Here two videos to show what i mean:

So here is what i do:

I take a variation of different real sound samples and mix them together until it "sounds good", but not in a Michael Bay way. I can't stand an AK sounding like a 20mm autocanon or a 7.62mm DMR like a M1 Abrams MBT main canon...

About combatibility to JSRS/SOS, this will come later on. First is to get the sounds for CUP done.

Thanks for the quick reply, and glad to hear that is what you guys are doing, which I personally believe is the best way. I definitely agree with your statement, everybody hears differently. Also different recording devices output drastic differences in sound. Glad to hear you're doing it the way you are, absolutely can't wait for more additions to CUP. I do wish it was easier to follow such as ACE. CUP honestly can break the RHS/AIATP monopoly on everything A3 if done correctly which I really hope happens.

Thx for your interest. But what do you mean with "RHS/AIATP monopoly"?

Yeah that's just a throw away statement I think.... they all offer different things.. All brilliant in their own way.

SJ

He means that there is a very large amount of communities/users that use RHS and AllInArmATerrainPack because of lack of proper alternatives.

In AiA TP's case the only alternative was A3MP, which was essentially a derivative of AiA TP and was quickly outdated. Now that AiA TP is abandoned and will soon be outdated, CUP takes over, meaning a lot of communities/users will likely abandon AiA_TP and go for CUP_Terrains (newer tends to be better, aye?)

RHS (in conjunction with LOP) adds a lot of 'modern' vehicles, weapons, uniforms, vests, factions similar to what CUP will do, there aren't many mods do this (talking large scale here). Not to say the mods are incompatible, but if you were to use the full version of CUP(excl. terrains) with both RHS mods, you'd end up with a lot of duplicate-typed content such as AKs, M16/M4s, Humvees, AH-1, Blackhawks, etc. So it's not weird at all that CUP and RHS are to be compared.

I personally love the fact that CUP will be splitting their mod unlike RHS, in seperate vehicle, units and weapon packages.

If I had time I would've loved to help you guys out ;)

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Sanchez

PhonicStudios just about says it best. As is, a good handful of skilled addon makers left the BI Community from A2 when A3 was released mostly due to development side decisions which turned away long time modders. Now RHS stayed and made true quality content (on the Russian side). However the community, filled with mostly Westerners clamored for Western type equipment and RHS scrambled to get content ready, which is evident with the 95% ported work of RHSUSF in comparison to the RHSAFRF which is gorgeously done and seems to be mostly from scratch. Theres a huge quality gap between the two, however they have a firm grip on the modding community because they simply have the most content and even their ported worth is higher quality than most. However it is a turn off because they refuse to work with ACE and add compatibility to their weapons and instead opt into doing their own system for nearly anything. So it's difficult to use other mods in conjunction with theirs as they have their own unique system for damage, weight, loads, inventory space etc. So we are forced to use their total modification. I just want to see more competitors making quality work which can stand up to RHS because honestly I would like to get away from it. I love their addon, I just don't like their work model as far as driving users into using basically 'all-or-nothing' rather than opting for compatibility with long time addons such as ACE.

VTN is the same way as RHS but theyre 20x worse.

However the community, filled with mostly Westerners clamored for Western type equipment and RHS scrambled to get content ready, which is evident with the 95% ported work of RHSUSF in comparison to the RHSAFRF which is gorgeously done and seems to be mostly from scratch. Theres a huge quality gap between the two, however they have a firm grip on the modding community because they simply have the most content and even their ported worth is higher quality than most.

Hahaha! Did you intend on asking anyone how RHSUSF developed or do you enjoy your false narrative that much? RHS never "scrambled" to make western content to form some monopoly or whatever you are pushing, it grew out of several different mods originally made for ArmA 2 and coalesced around Sabre, Reyhard and I, with some help from Soul_Assassin. That's right, the initial release was made principally by three people! God forbid we use placeholders in a mod that was almost restarted from scratch in order to balance out a Russian faction that has had 5+ years of back development! Things are even being replaced in every patch with higher-quality examples (which, again, is being developed by a rather small team!) I regret having to use this aggressive tone with any person, but I think it's very disrespectful to us when we worked so hard to create something that is hand waved away as a "inferior quality" by someone who has made no attempt to better understand the situation. That being said, I have no intent of discouraging your opinions about our work and I just wanted to bring in more information to the discussion.

which is evident with the 95% ported work of RHSUSF in comparison to the RHSAFRF which is gorgeously done and seems to be mostly from scratch.

Uhm, I'm afraid that's not true.

Let's see...

Vehicles

M1A1 - Modeled from scratch

M1A2 - Modeled from scratch

M109A6 - Modeled from scratch

M113A3 - Ported from A2 (It will be replaced in the new patch by a new model)

M2A2/A3 - Highly modified port from A2 (I'd say is more an evolution due to all the modifications in the 3D model)

M1025 - Modeled from scratch

M1123 - Modeled from scratch

M1097A2 - Modeled from scratch

M1078A1 LMTV - Modeled from scratch

M1083A1 FMTV - Modeled from scratch

RG-33 Modeled from scratch

UH-1Y - Ported from A2

AH-1Z - Ported from A2

UH-60 - Ported from A2

AH-64 - Ported from A2

CH-47 - Ported from A2

A-10A - Ported from A2

C-130 - Ported from A2

Weapons

FGM-148 - Ported from A2

FIM-92F - Ported from A2

M136 - Ported from A2

M16A4 - Modeled from scratch

M2010 ESR - Modeled from scratch

M240 - Modeled from scratch

M249 - Modeled from scratch

M4 - Modeled from scratch

Mk14 EBR - Modeled from scratch

SR-25 - Modeled from scratch

M1911 - Modeled from scratch

Glock 17 - Modeled from scratch

M32 - Modeled from scratch

All the handgrenades - Modeled from scratch

All the launcher grenades - Modeled from scratch

Edited by MistyRonin

However the community, filled with mostly Westerners clamored for Western type equipment and RHS scrambled to get content ready, which is evident with the 95% ported work of RHSUSF

Out of curiosity, do you know specifically what's ported?

However it is a turn off because they refuse to work with ACE and add compatibility to their weapons and instead opt into doing their own system for nearly anything.

We don't refuse to work with anyone... What we refuse is being bullied into having a dependency on another mod we simply don't need, nor wish to use, just because another mod wants a content pack...

So it's difficult to use other mods in conjunction with theirs as they have their own unique system for damage, weight, loads, inventory space etc. So we are forced to use their total modification.

Such is life when you create a total modification.

To be honest, the only system that really differs from the default (and thereby creates incompatibilities) is the armor system. We took the route that we did because the default Arma damage system leaves a lot to be desired, and we had the capabilities to make it better for our own models. Unfortunately, since our system is model based, it's not possible to ensure compatibility unless we A) have the Arma 3 mlods and B) try to force other modders to abide by our "standard" (which we consider to be a "dick move").

I love their addon, I just don't like their work model as far as driving users into using basically 'all-or-nothing' rather than opting for compatibility with long time addons such as ACE.

Sorry, it's not intentional... Also you might want to check your "long time addon" timeline. :cool:

with long time addons such as ACE

ACE3 was announced March this year. A full 2 years after RHS mod started working on Arma 3. And now we have to scramble to make compatibility? No thank you. If you think it is so easy why don't you contribute to the compatibility addon? We also will never become dependent on other mods. Our aim is to be standalone but not hamper anyone if they would like to be compatible.

I just don't like their work model as far as driving users into using basically 'all-or-nothing' rather than opting for compatibility with long time addons such as ACE.

Oh look, an 'ideas guy', never releases anything himself but imagines everybody should produce content according to his roadmap.

I don't see why anyone needs to try to change the CUP teams goals, they have clearly been working very hard for quite a long time, and my hat is off to them for the great content they are bringing back to ArmA 3.

Personally, I am someone who would love to use both CUP and RHS togheter (both are great mods which i enjoy), so hopefully there is a compatibility patch made by the community, or maybe if BI fixes magazineclasses and such, then these sorts of things could become much more easily feasible without extra workload. ( joint mags mod anyone ?)

But overall, not particularly sure why anyone is clamoring over ACE compatibility for that matter (ace was kinda a let down anyways) but anyone is free to make their own compatibility patches, so no need to mandate more work for anyone, including the cup team. If you want some compatibility, try to make it yourself, but quite honestly I am sure the community will make some.

Lastly, congrats to the cup team on their upcoming mods, I'm hype :cool: