Sign in to follow this  
toysoldier

DLC Ads

Correct me, Almanzo, if I'm wrong, but the point that is being made here is : why buy the DLC since you will most likely not be able to enjoy it (especially when being part of a group), except maybe for a few SP missions?

I got the same idea from his post.

2 DLC related threads merged since both cover the same thing.

I got the same idea from his post.

2 DLC related threads merged since both cover the same thing.

That was my point, yes.

My concern is that the content I've payed for is something I would probably not get to use much, due to how it effects other players. I am not complaining about the cost, simply that it doesn't really make much sense for others in my community to buy the DLCs unless all of them does. We did use DLC content ones, and the general feedback was that it was to be avoided in the future. Others have talked about this as well, DLC content might not be used much in communities where some own and some don't.

I did voice this issue ahead of Heli DLC, but there has been no official recognition that this might be an issue for people. And if it is the case, that people are not buying this out of fear of not being able to use the content it might hurt sales significantly.

As I said here... Forum I don't mind adds ..but as it is at the moment it is very rough arround the edges. The thing is as BI tried out its carts DLC ..only people that joined carts servers would have noticed something back than, because ..carts are normally not used in WAR. But the helicopters are a totally different story. Helicopters are used more widely in scenarios. At some point your bound to come in contact with these new choppers ..and that is good because people should see it and maybe buy it if you like to fly it. Thats why they are locked to begin with. Problem or not is that you can fly as passenger with it ...what is logical because otherwise the concept of "We want not to split the community". But once you fly as passanger you start to get adds as well, and it gets more frequent the longer the flight. You'll see

a) adds popping in from the side..telling you something about some new content added

c) a semi transparent tiled rotor symbol appearing over your complete screen that goes away after a short time

d) an add directly in the middle of your screen

thats what I have seen ..and the last one is the worst in my opinion. Imagine shooting from the bench and than suddenly this adds appears..totally blocking your view. I find the others also distracting. If I would imagine other DLCs would be added in the same manner ..a chill goes through down my spine. Let's say there are 10 micro DLCs and you'd get an add for every DLC in some way or even worse a different way for each Micro DLC ... it will be very confusing ..especially for people that are new to arma. This is really bad in several ways marketing wise.

You play a shooting game ..thats where people are in a tense state of awareness, therefore its easy to put information through to people while having a maximum rememberance factor due to that. Problem so is that this can have reduced or even negative effect if the tension is to high. Like during a fire fight or if you are going to land in a hostile area shortly ..who cares about what DLC is used at that moment? Non ..its the worst possible moment to sell something!

Instead of forcing information on the player the high awareness factor should be used at the right moment. For example if you enter the passenger seat and you get an add that tells you "Great shopper, but its limited content.Want to know more?" As you might not have anything to do until you are near your destionation.. one might think...oh whats that .."click". Than you see somthing like an information page ..showing you what great things the DLC offers you, that you will be also supporting the Developer when buying it and it gives the possibility to check out what other DLCs there are to buy. So the next time you enter or if it should appear ..you see the information and you know whats going on. Either you click or you don't. Theoretically you could use the same icon and symbolic for any DLC that might be there, always allowing you to get more information about the specific DLC if you want to!! Also being done with the same apperance it is easier to distinguish from anything else that might pop up. Its not only wasted effort to tell people something that they might know already or don't want to know at the moment it's also what I would call straight down anyoing. And I am not an expert but I don't believe that you can sell something if you annoy people. No, you have to get peoples attention first and then give them the information about your products at the right time if they are willing to listen to you. ..

Edited by Kumeda

Others have talked about this as well, DLC content might not be used much in communities where some own and some don't.

It is your choice. In my opinion adding DLC content into the game and let the DLC owners use it in the restricted positions(pilot,gunner) not ruining the game of the non DLC owners. Non DLC owners could use passenger seats and enjoy the game. This is why the new DLC strategy is better then the previous. In our community we have dedicated pilots/gunners and these guys owns DLC, because they don't want any restrictions. I rather see detailed content in the game then low detailed.

That was my point, yes.

My concern is that the content I've payed for is something I would probably not get to use much, due to how it effects other players. I am not complaining about the cost, simply that it doesn't really make much sense for others in my community to buy the DLCs unless all of them does. We did use DLC content ones, and the general feedback was that it was to be avoided in the future. Others have talked about this as well, DLC content might not be used much in communities where some own and some don't.

I did voice this issue ahead of Heli DLC, but there has been no official recognition that this might be an issue for people. And if it is the case, that people are not buying this out of fear of not being able to use the content it might hurt sales significantly.

BI would have to show us some sale figures/metrics in order for us to get a clear picture of the new DLC policy impact on the community.

Actually my idea of a perfect system is a less immersion breaking but more harsh method, i.e. if you don't own the DLC then if you attempt to get in mid mission you just can't and get some line about not having a f*cking clue how to use this thing, you've not been trained (i.e. bought the DLC). I'd personally remove the ability to script into the driver seat, i.e. it works if you start a mission as the pilot but not if you use moveInDriver. With the marksman you'd be certain to get a "weapon jam" within your first couple of magazines and be unable to clear it without the "training".

Yes I'm quoting myself, but I always have been terribly narcissistic. :D

That's why that seems like a good idea, no irritating adverts but clear restrictions to using the DLC content, you're disadvantaged if you don't buy it but you can still use it either to try it out or in a pinch. Obviously it's more work to implement but it solves some of the problems people have.

It is horrible idea to sacrifice openness for Clear restrictions as you put it.

In another word Jona33 your friend has DLC content and you don't.He and you can't play together.

Let Electronic arts keep this model for their demographic, I'm glad that bohemia actually care about

us gamers.

It is horrible idea to sacrifice openness for Clear restrictions as you put it.

In another word Jona33 your friend has DLC content and you don't.He and you can't play together.

Let Electronic arts keep this model for their demographic, I'm glad that bohemia actually care about

us gamers.

What? That's not the point at all, the whole idea is that you can play together (I think you misinterpreted the "get in mid mission" line, that referred specifically to helicopters, so the same as now but a different presentation method). The basic idea is the same but presented in a different way that is less immersion breaking. Therefore there's limits on the DLC (i.e. an incentive because you can't be as effective since you can't get into helicopters mid mission) but there's an ingame reason behind it, i.e. no training.

True I misunderstood, thanks for correcting me.

So while playing Epoch mod. I get the intrusive ads. I have never touched the DLC content in any way but this is stupid. Specially at night when your entire screen gets covered in helmets. You cant see jack.

Crap like this would actually make me NOT buy just for screwing the experience over of a game I PAID for.

I get ads if you're actually USING the content without having bought the DLC. But this? Come on.

These ads come up every 5 minutes on the dot.

My friends who I play with do not have the DLC but they do not get the ads. So why is it I get this crap forced down my throat while not even trying to use DLC content?

BI needs to rethink this over because it's pissing a lot of people off. I can't play the game like this. It screws everything over and I have died many times thanks to the dead center ad.

Is there any way to remove the ads? Cause this is BS.

(I'll edit with screen shots after the 1 day restriction)

I haven't played Epoch, but that's not the behavior I'm getting in vanilla multiplayer. I would guess that it's not intended behavior, either. You definitely shouldn't be getting the screen effects if you aren't using any DLC content. It might be something on Epoch's end?

My guess is that he's using the starter pistol.

maybe..many people think that starter pistol and racing uniform is free lol..@peylix screenshot ur inventory too..if ur not using any its not supposed to appear

So while playing Epoch mod. I get the intrusive ads. I have never touched the DLC content in any way but this is stupid. Specially at night when your entire screen gets covered in helmets. You cant see jack.

Crap like this would actually make me NOT buy just for screwing the experience over of a game I PAID for.

I get ads if you're actually USING the content without having bought the DLC. But this? Come on.

These ads come up every 5 minutes on the dot.

My friends who I play with do not have the DLC but they do not get the ads. So why is it I get this crap forced down my throat while not even trying to use DLC content?

BI needs to rethink this over because it's pissing a lot of people off. I can't play the game like this. It screws everything over and I have died many times thanks to the dead center ad.

Is there any way to remove the ads? Cause this is BS.

(I'll edit with screen shots after the 1 day restriction)

You have at some point during that session used content that you have not paid for. End of story.

You have at some point during that session used content that you have not paid for. End of story.

This is such a bullshit excuse. That content shouldn't be given to me at all if its not what I paid for. Instead it is forced on me in nearly ALL hosted servers now. And whether I like it or not, the ads show up on my screen. I don't want to use the starter pistol, I dont want to use the new helicopters, but on every multiplayer server they are on there now. So what I shouldn't play multiplayer at all? No I guess the answer is I should pay 15$ for content I don't want, just to get rid of annoying ads on my screen.

Seriously the fact that you are not allowed to drive the helicopters is enough of a premium content incentive. A really poor image move from Bohemia that a high incentive to buy the DLC is to just get rid of ads on your screen.

This is such a bullshit excuse. That content shouldn't be given to me at all if its not what I paid for. Instead it is forced on me in nearly ALL hosted servers now. And whether I like it or not, the ads show up on my screen. I don't want to use the starter pistol, I dont want to use the new helicopters, but on every multiplayer server they are on there now.

Every server is forcing you to pick up the starter pistol or get in a DLC chopper?

So, in my experience it is confirmed what I expected from this new DLC strategy. I have yet to see a Coop Mission I play use any of the DLC stuff because mission authors don´t want to spoil the experience for the non owners. Glad I didn´t buy yet because it would have been money wasted.

But still you get adds on loading screens....

BIS has received a lot of concerned feedback both through the forum and through the survey they did, and yet they didn´t change fuck all, they made it worse. If you really get adds in the middle of the screen if you are a passenger in a DLC helicopter.... that is just too much.

If you really get adds in the middle of the screen if you are a passenger in a DLC helicopter.... that is just too much.

Why is that? You're using paid content for free, right? Ads are perfectly reasonable then, in my opinion.

Why is that? You're using paid content for free, right? Ads are perfectly reasonable then, in my opinion.

FFV, observing the sourroundings for threats, etc. all not possible if that really happens.

And why do I get adds in loading screens?

FFV, observing the sourroundings for threats, etc. all not possible if that really happens.

And why do I get adds in loading screens?

My point exactly; you can't effectively use the content you didn't pay for. Sounds fair.

I don't know about the loading screen ads, but that sounds like the least intrusive way to advertise.

I didn´t buy a full game to be annoyed by advertisements.

And my other point still stands. Most communities don´t use the DLC content at all because of the restrictions. If I were to buy the helicopters now I would propably never use them. The BAF stuff at least got used from time to time...

If I were to buy the helicopters now I would propably never use them.

I have a problem understanding this - you don't like ads so you must use helis right?

Remember it was worse in Arma 2 - not being able to join servers or play missions due to some ACR asset being required.

Remember it was worse in Arma 2 - not being able to join servers or play missions due to some ACR asset being required.

Well, wich is the worse : being kicked because you don't have the DLC, or join a server and realize that, oh! the mission maker decided to use a DLC and you won't see a damn thing while being transported/using a gun?

If I had a choice, I would prefer being kicked; better that than being spammed.

Well, wich is the worse : being kicked because you don't have the DLC, or join a server and realize that, oh! the mission maker decided to use a DLC and you won't see a damn thing while being transported/using a gun?

If I had a choice, I would prefer being kicked; better that than being spammed.

Opinions, opinions... Exactly the oppisite for me.