Sign in to follow this  
toysoldier

DLC Ads

Likewise, at its worst being spammed is nothing more than an annoyance, whereas being kicked is literally stopping me from being able to play with friends.

Remember it was worse in Arma 2 - not being able to join servers or play missions due to some ACR asset being required.

What? No? You could easily join a server with DLC content, the content would just be lowres

What? No? You could easily join a server with DLC content, the content would just be lowres

There was no ACR Lite.

Yeah, you're in the gunner seat. The gunner seat is a crew seat and thus triggers the ads. You shouldn't experience that if you are just sitting in a cargo position. I'm curious as to how you are even getting in those seats, since they are locked and display a message if you try to get in them without scripting/setting the seat as the player in the editor. Ignore this. I am dumb, you're clearly in the pilot seat. Although the point remains, you clearly aren't intended to be flying the helicopters during normal gameplay if you haven't purchased the DLC.

I am of the opinion that door gunner seats shouldn't trigger ads, but they do, so there you go. I also don't really think they need to delay your disconnecting from a server in addition to having in-game ads. It just seems over the top in terms of advertising. If there wasn't a special keybind for bringing up the Steam Store page for purchasing the DLC in game, then it might be okay to have the additional ad on disconnect, but as it is, no one is going to not notice the huge icon in the corner of their screen prompting them to hit a key combination (without description of what it does) that takes control of the game to open up the Steam overlay and bring them to a store page, and also need to be reminded again when they disconnect from the server. It would be nice if BIS would just pick one of the methods (preferably a method that doesn't bring up the Steam Store from within a game session).

I understand that the Lite version of the DLC may not have worked as well as they wanted, but BIS really seems to have taken it to the other extreme with advertising for DLC within the game.

To BIS's credit, though, the in-game ads seem to have been toned down quite a bit from their initial implementation in Karts. The animated overlays used to pop up after about 2 minutes and then animate on your screen continuously. Now it seems to take up to 15 minutes of usage for the overlays to appear and it's just a quick screen wipe that goes away within a few seconds.

Edited by roshnak

Yeah, you're in the gunner seat. The gunner seat is a crew seat and thus triggers the ads. You shouldn't experience that if you are just sitting in a cargo position. I'm curious as to how you are even getting in those seats, since they are locked and display a message if you try to get in them without scripting/setting the seat as the player in the editor. Ignore this. I am dumb, you're clearly in the pilot seat. Although the point remains, you clearly aren't intended to be flying the helicopters during normal gameplay if you haven't purchased the DLC.

The ads are the same like in the pictures when you are in the passenger seats.

I get ads when pressing P now, which is a pain in the rear as I was using shift-p, ctrl-p, alt-p to open the radios in TFAR and now I have to remap and relearn those keys :(

And like you clearly show in those pictures you where in a helicopter that you didn't pay for. i bet that if you didn't go into that helicopter you would have been able to just disconnect whitout a problem. its purly base on if you used DLC content or not

The loading screed images only appear when you are loading a mission that contains DLC assets that you don't own. Besides promoting the DLC, they serve as an early warning that user might encounter some non-owned content in the mission.

Yes the loading screen ads and the pilot seat ads are normal for my opinions, they informing about the DLC. That's why i dont post it as a screenshot. But all other ads are too much.

Sorry, what I meant was that it wasn't automatic, and many didn't bother.

Yes thanks that's what I meant. We saw server population drop in half when the mission rotation switched to one with ACR assets.

We need a Ad-Blocker mod :p

You joke but I can see this kind of thing in a few years (forced game ads) :p

Could you add an explanation why the ads are showing? Many people here and also on the steam forums are confused and think this is shitty forced advertising on BI's part. With a simple "You are using DLC content you have not paid for. Purchase the DLC or stop using the content to get rid of these ads" message, this confusion could be avoided.

The ads are not all the same in passenger seats, as far as I am aware. I believe that you only get the icon in the bottom corner of the screen when in the passenger seats, not the full screen overlays.

Could you add an explanation why the ads are showing? Many people here and also on the steam forums are confused and think this is shitty forced advertising on BI's part. With a simple "You are using DLC content you have not paid for. Purchase the DLC or stop using the content to get rid of these ads" message, this confusion could be avoided.

What confusion? It is forced advertising. I doubt that there are very many people who don't understand that purchasing the DLC will get rid of the prompts to buy the DLC.

The ad system is just ridiculous in my opinion.

I would rather have back the good old lite system.

If you go to a random server you never know if the mission maker has included some dlc content.

And if they have used some dlc content, you get ads ingame. loading screen ads. "Ads if you start the mission in a one of the helis etc".

So you never know if you will get these damn ads when you join a server.

Futher more i would not call the current system in Arma3 for DLC. "Downloadable content"

This is nothing you can choose to download & buy.

You get forced to download these content if you like it or not.

They force them upon you, but you can only use them if you pay.

I understand that they dont want to split the community.

Its like. lets all play together even tho you didnt buy the DLC. Which in my opinion is wrong.

I would rather see a proper DLC system.

If the server youre trying to connect to runs some DLC content and you dont have it you should not be able to join it.

But i guess Bis dont like that since it would mean no ads. "loss of possible income"

Im not going to whine to much more about the ads as i dont care that much about them.

Nor am i going to buy the DLC's as i dont care much about Arma3 either. I prefere Ad free games ;)

Edited by nuxil

What confusion? It is forced advertising. I doubt that there are very many people who don't understand that purchasing the DLC will get rid of the prompts to buy the DLC.

Yes, of course, but there are a lot of people (as seen in this thread) who don't understand that the ads aren't forced to them for no reason, but because they were using DLC content. Many people just think their gameplay is interrupted for no reason, which is wrong.

. "loss of possible income"

Not to be insulting but....Bro, do you even Brain?

This is a fair questions, since BIS just released 80% of the DLC for Free!

I mean seriously, ýou can use these helis even if you didn't buy it and you just get adds(!) ingame!

If BIS really wanted to be greedy, then they could release all the features and content under the paywall and everytime you would join a server which has Firing from Vehicles, Sling loading, AFM, Helicopters and the MP "Support" Mode, you would just simply be kicked.

Not to be insulting but....Bro, do you even Brain?

Dont call me Bro. i aint your bro or mate...

Not to be insulting but i probably "brain" more than you do.

I mean seriously, ýou can use these helis even if you didn't buy it and you just get adds(!) ingame!

No you cant. By default you can not enter the vehicles. You need to bypass this with scripts.

Or is something wrong with my arma? so unless you have scripting knowlege you cant use them.

If BIS really wanted to be greedy, then they could release all the features and content under the paywall and everytime you would join a server which has Firing from Vehicles, Sling loading, AFM, Helicopters and the MP "Support" Mode, you would just simply be kicked.

Yep thats how i wouldl like it instead of a game full of ads. but thats my optinion.

If i wanted extra features i would gladly buy them as a seperate addon/"Dlc"

But i have no interest in them, as it is now i get these things forced down my throat if i like it or not.

I would gladly stay away from servers utilizing the content if i could. but i have no way of knowing if the server im joining is using DLC content or not.

Edited by nuxil

The ads are not all the same in passenger seats, as far as I am aware. I believe that you only get the icon in the bottom corner of the screen when in the passenger seats, not the full screen overlays.

Thats wrong...

No you cant. By default you can not enter the vehicles. You need to bypass this with scripts.

Or is something wrong with my arma? so unless you have scripting knowlege you cant use them.

You can enter them as passengers and as Pilots if you spawn in them or if the script command is added.

So there are multiple ways to use them even as a non-owner.

What they should have done is gone with really low end models like basic shapes with colors or something.

BIS already siad a lot of times, that they won't do something like in Arma 2 with lite versions, since it is making too much work.