Sign in to follow this  
idhronphant

Third person mode & realism

Some of you guys have said I should use the ALT key to see my character when in 1st person view.

If you mean the 'freelook' key, this is what it gives me in 1st person and I can't see much of my character, or am I doing it wrong?-

1st person front-

AA3-first1_zps3afc8350.jpg~original

1st person right-

AA3-first2_zps1fdd9cc3.jpg~original

1st person left-

AA3-first3_zps553c0889.jpg~original

1st person down-

AA3-irst4_zps2fcf5cd5.jpg~original

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Yes, you can change it. Or use the zoom out command even easier. That’s why I consider field of view to be a small component of 3rd-person.

I would use 3rd-person to have a wider, higher field of view and to sense what I'm doing with my own body easier.

Some of you guys have said I should use the ALT key to see my character when in 1st person view.

If you mean the 'freelook' key, this is what it gives me in 1st person and I can't see much of my character, or am I doing it wrong?-

1st person front-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos4-newPB/AA3-first1_zps3afc8350.jpg~original

1st person right-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos4-newPB/AA3-first2_zps1fdd9cc3.jpg~original

1st person left-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos4-newPB/AA3-first3_zps553c0889.jpg~original

1st person down-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Photos4-newPB/AA3-irst4_zps2fcf5cd5.jpg~original

Well, the final two images are basically 50% filled with your guy :p

But it's very inconvenient compared to 3rd-person because of how small your field of view cone is.

Edited by Sneakson

I have a camera in real life, floating around a little higher than me, around a metre or so to the rear of my head. Just to make sure I’m moving o.k. also handy for showing me the back of my head, back & arse (not a pretty site), which of course is all perfectly natural, need to see all that to know your there.

Silly! Yes, but have you read some of these comments…………………:rolleyes: ;).. 3rd person more realistic! :rolleyes:, nearly fell off my chair, which would have been done in 1st person, but the camera would have caught it for one of those shows '£250' not to be barked at.:D

Hey to get an interesting idea of who plays what, how do we put up a poll asking which we prefer?-

a:- mostly 1st person

b:- mix of both

c:- mostly 3rd person

Hey to get an interesting idea of who plays what, how do we put up a poll asking which we prefer?-

a:- mostly 1st person

b:- mix of both

c:- mostly 3rd person

It's a non-issue to the topic and a very dead horse. What we're trying to get at is what's closest to the real thing, not what's preferable to the majority.

1st person from a realism standpoint is the obvious one. I don't have a constant out of body experience that allows me to view around corners and over things without exposure.

3rd person is super exploitable. It's all pros with no cons. It's crutchy and casual.

Anyway, the game allows for both and enjoyment can be had with either.

It really is disingenuous to call this a 'realism' issue when we have cars that explode from wheel damage. I know that fans of the series seem to take some kind of pride in this video game having a higher learning curve than most, but seriously - it's a video game.. get over yourselves.

..but seriously - it's a video game.. get over yourselves.

Hmm i've heard that conspiracy theory before but don't subscribe to it myself. People say stuff to me like- "you play too much wargaming, get a life!" to which I answer- "But wargaming IS life, what on earth else is there??"

Returning to topic, here are another few profound observations to throw into the playpen-

This is a tank drivers typical 1st person view (Slammer), and if 3rd person is not allowed, you have to spend the whole game looking through this boring slit..

AA3-driv2_zpsf54cad56.jpg~original

Yet the Slammer (like many tanks) has 3 separate drivers vision blocks which should allow you to see in a near 180 degree arc!

AA3-driv-view_zps51016205.jpg~original

But if 3rd person is allowed, you can hop to views like this to look around instead of being permanently cooped up in the drivers seat.

This allows you as driver to simulate the near-180 degree frontal view through your vision blocks.

(Incidentally even in 3rd person you as driver can't look backwards, which is realistic)

AA3-driv3_zps5a43696e.jpg~original

Regarding infantry, here's your 1st person view as a sniper; all you can see is your rifle..

AA3-driv5_zpsb36277a3.jpg~original

But if 3rd person is allowed you can go to this view to see how good you look to local village girls..

AA3-driv4_zps713e0599.jpg~original

..and even zoom in to check out your snazzy gun..

AA3-driv7_zpsdf94fc3f.jpg~original

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Never used 3rd person. Never needed it.

My favorite videos from some of the 'realism' groups out there show their members using 3rd person to look over walls or around door frames and buildings - an obvious cheat. One was a group that had a guy running around looking behind himself in 3rd person and he ran into a tree! Fell off my chair laughing at that 'realism' unit. 3rd person is arcadish, and should never have been in the game except maybe for passengers - and then limited to a non-moving view so that you can't scan around the vehicle.

As to using 1st person in a vehicle - if you can't see out, then turn out and look around. Turn in when your taking fire and learn to drive without the 'training wheels'. Geez.

Well, if do singleplayer missions, I'm used to 3rd person view, which could let me see my character's cool animation. If coop missions with friends, only 1st person view.

But I don't like the memory point of head camera in 1st person, a little bit forward. Would be better if bis could adjust it a little backwards, so that I can see most parts of rifle. BF3 and COD did a good job on this.

1st person all the way but have to disable it to avoid the temptation to use it :)

Though driving anything that has the letterbox view sucks big time.

It's a non-issue to the topic and a very dead horse. What we're trying to get at is what's closest to the real thing, not what's preferable to the majority.

1st person from a realism standpoint is the obvious one. I don't have a constant out of body experience that allows me to view around corners and over things without exposure.

3rd person is super exploitable. It's all pros with no cons. It's crutchy and casual.

Anyway, the game allows for both and enjoyment can be had with either.

This pretty much sums it up.

..As to using 1st person in a vehicle - if you can't see out, then turn out and look around. Turn in when your taking fire and learn to drive without the 'training wheels'. Geez.

If you mean unbutton and stick your head out you'll soon lose it. If you mean get out of the tank that's even worse because you'll lose your goolies as well..:)

Another thing:- in 3rd person games your opponent is far more deadlier because he can peek over walls and get good overall situational awareness, so you can't afford to give him an inch, and you must be on the very top of your game every second to stay alive, real exciting bloodcurdling gaming!

By comparison a 1st person player is half blind and therefore far less dangerous.

In 10 years of playing the Combat Mission series, opponents used to say to me before the start- "What rules and restrictions do you want to use?", to which I'd always reply:- "None, there are no rules in a knife fight, so play exactly how you like and do your damndest to kill me, and I'll do my damndest to kill you, it'll be fun!"

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter"

-Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

"I have a high art, I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me"

-Archilocus (Greek mercenary 650 BC)

"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it"

-Gen Douglas MacArthur

"At my signal, unleash hell"

-Maximus in 'Gladiator'

"We need to destroy, not attack, not damage, not surround. I want to destroy the Republican Guard"

-General H. Norman Schwarzkopf

"Kill anything with more than two legs"

-Lt Rasczak, Starship Troopers

"Take arrows in your forehead not your back"

-Samurai maxim

"Morality ends where a gun begins." - Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

"War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over"

-William Tecumseh Sherman

"Inflict the maximum amount of wound, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." -Gen George Patton

Oops sorry, was i ranting?

I'd be so happy if BIS removed 3rd person completely and was only available as a mod.....a mod for training wheels.

Speaking off training wheels driving an offroad around Altis in 3rd person is very cool these days, more of that please BIS, could we also get a little sideways on those corners :bounce3:

..As to using 1st person in a vehicle - if you can't see out, then turn out and look around. Turn in when your taking fire and learn to drive without the 'training wheels'. Geez.

You can't turn out on a lot of heavy vehicles...If we could at least do that I would probably force 1st person for everything.

I've watched youtube vids of trackir but don't think I'd like it because it's unnatural and I'd probably get motion sickness.

For example if you turn your head left with TlR, you still have to keep your eyes swivelled right to see the monitor and vice versa, so your head would be twisting like a ventriloquists dummy but your eyes would have to stay locked on the screen.

And from what I can see of it, there's still no way to get a good look at your own character.

PS- maybe AA2/3 neds a new view option called something like "character view" which would place you a few feet behind your character at the touch of a key and then use the mouse to pan around him strictly horizontally to look him over.

Dude use the Alt & mouse to examine your body & look around, & you could look in a vehicle wing mirror to see if you have blood on your face or ask another player, its coop on servers is it not :).

Also If you lower the 3rd person & move it closer to player (as suggested) you will block your own view. Bis have it about right for those who need 3p. And for those who like it indisputably more realistic then go for those servers that only allow 1st person. There is plenty of both, & every body's happy:bounce3:

Edited by jgaz-uk

Oh, if only 3rd person would be optional and could be disabled in the settings and on servers so everyone could chose which way he wants to play.....oh, wait.

Somebody has probably already linked it but here it is all the same.

That aside I think it is also a matter or consensus as well, if people are playing a hardcore milsim style game within a community or such I'm quite sure that their members would be extremely supportive of such a rule. However, considering the existence of a portion of the realism community that likes to deny the existance of the non-realism community, not everyone in the ARMA universe is looking for a thoroughly realistic experience. To top that off, I really don't see why we should enforce or judge communities/servers for running third person. Admittedly, third person is exploitable and there is no denying that fact. However when player's are on equal terms I see the problem as negligible. Personally, I belong to the realism side of ARMA and other simulators and I absolutely love it. That's not to say that I don't mind jumping on a wasteland server with friends and flicking on third person and you can be sure that I'll use it to peep around corners.

EDIT: BI added a kick arse dress up simulator and I'll be damned if im not allowed to look. Edited by hades198

Thankyou lord Dslyecxi for teaching us how to play arma correctly, face palm. Looking at your character kitted out is cool and enjoyable, so do it, and enjoy the game. If pistol animation was added that would be extra cool too. To be honest the gun animations don't look as good as the character animations so can you blame people playing in third.

Myke;2696954']Oh' date=' if only 3rd person would be optional and could be disabled in the settings and on servers so everyone could chose which way he wants to play.....oh, wait.

Optional you say? Such lies!

The devs never made it optional! It is compulsory to use 3rd person...*ahem* [insert derogatory term here (bonus points if you mention CoD or BF)] mode to play!

Curse those shifty devs at BI for not giving us the option to disable it in the difficulty or parameter settings!

/sarcasm

Thankyou lord Dslyecxi for teaching us how to play arma correctly, face palm. Looking at your character kitted out is cool and enjoyable, so do it, and enjoy the game. If pistol animation was added that would be extra cool too. To be honest the gun animations don't look as good as the character animations so can you blame people playing in third.

I wouldn't change the interpretation of video like you did:He clearly says on the beggining: IS NOT THE ONLY WAY OF DO THINGS,

and is something HE FEELS PASSIONATE ABOUT AND IS WORTH CONSIDERING.

I just play on servers where 3rd person is disabled. Who am I to tell other people how to play their games

Optional you say? Such lies!

The devs never made it optional! It is compulsory to use 3rd person...*ahem* [insert derogatory term here (bonus points if you mention CoD or BF)] mode to play!

Curse those shifty devs at BI for not giving us the option to disable it in the difficulty or parameter settings!

/sarcasm

Well, i don't know what game you play, but i have this:

3rd_option.jpg

Also servers can be set to either allow or deny 3rd person through config file. Don't blame BI for server admins allowing 3rd person.

3rdPersonView=1; // This turns 3rd(third) person view and group leader view on or off. Please never talk of this as "3D view" - ArmA is not an arcade game !

Source: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.armaprofile

Better get informed before accusing someone of lying.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

So much sarcasm, peeps can't even spot the sarcasm through all the sarcasm...

So much sarcasm, peeps can't even spot the sarcasm through all the sarcasm...

Meh, that got lost in translation....my bad.