Sign in to follow this  
idhronphant

Third person mode & realism

As I mentioned earlier, my beef is that you can't see yourself in 1st person; for example this is all you see..

..but hitting the 3rd person key shows you could be running around without any pants..:)

... or by looking down on your body... you know, like in real life

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

Myke;2698615']Play it the way it is "fun" for you and don't try to dictate what has to be "fun" for others.

It always amazes me who people jump to the conclusion that a personal preference is something that they want to enforce on others. Honestly, no disrespect intended, but NO ONE here wants to FORCE anyone to use first or third person. If every discussion will end up in people thinking that others want to enforce something on them, any discussion would be pointless.

It always amazes me who people jump to the conclusion that a personal preference is something that they want to enforce on others. Honestly, no disrespect intended, but NO ONE here wants to FORCE anyone to use first or third person. If every discussion will end up in people thinking that others want to enforce something on them, any discussion would be pointless.

Sorry, my bad. I thought to remember that several opinions stated that 3rd person even shouldn't be a option. Please accept my apologies. But then i don't see the point of this thread.

Hmm...

Never used 3rd person. Never needed it.

My favorite videos from some of the 'realism' groups out there show their members using 3rd person to look over walls or around door frames and buildings - an obvious cheat. One was a group that had a guy running around looking behind himself in 3rd person and he ran into a tree! Fell off my chair laughing at that 'realism' unit. 3rd person is arcadish, and should never have been in the game except maybe for passengers - and then limited to a non-moving view so that you can't scan around the vehicle.

As to using 1st person in a vehicle - if you can't see out, then turn out and look around. Turn in when your taking fire and learn to drive without the 'training wheels'. Geez.

I'd be so happy if BIS removed 3rd person completely and was only available as a mod.....a mod for training wheels.

Let's not forget demands that the defaults for the options be set as well so that only "noob" difficulty can have it toggled. In the meantime, Regular and Veteran must have it fixed on disabled so that people who like playing on higher difficulties but with TPV enabled can no longer have the option to do so.

Oh, and as a bonus you won't need to look far down the comments of Dslyecxi's video to find more "immersionists" that want it removed completely either.

At the very least I think we can both agree that the thread was pointless to begin with. But hey, no disrespect intended to you either.

I think the OP has had everyones opinion in triplicate now.

The only thing that keeps threads like this alive is, well like me here, posting again (3rd time I think, could be 4th):rolleyes:.

The fact is, its an option and we all like various ways of enjoying the option. To find his answer the OP simply needs to play the game and try out the options. He will then find the ideal for himself, its how most of us do it.

At least then this thread may close without incitement of a riot, or whatever..

Who really cares..;)

Hmm...

Let's not forget demands that the defaults for the options be set as well so that only "noob" difficulty can have it toggled. In the meantime, Regular and Veteran must have it fixed on disabled so that people who like playing on higher difficulties but with TPV enabled can no longer have the option to do so.

Oh, and as a bonus you won't need to look far down the comments of Dslyecxi's video to find more "immersionists" that want it removed completely either.

At the very least I think we can both agree that the thread was pointless to begin with. But hey, no disrespect intended to you either.

How are they forcing their opinion on you or anyone else?

"3rd person is arcadish, and should never have been in the game except maybe for passengers - and then limited to a non-moving view so that you can't scan around the vehicle."

Seems like an opinion to me.

"I'd be so happy if BIS removed 3rd person completely and was only available as a mod."

Again, seems like an opinion to me.

A note to clubs, clans and groups etc:-
When you do a post advertising your outfit and inviting new members, can you please make it absolutely clear in the post whether you play only 1st or 3rd person?
That way 3rd person junkies like me will be able to contact only the 3rd person outfits.. :)

Incidentally in the TV docu "Tankies:Tank Heroes of WW2" on Brit TV last week, one tanker told how his commander often used to stand on the turret roof to see what was on the other side of high Normandy bocage hedgerows, so there's a real-world example of 3rd-person view!
And as other people have said in this thread, real-world troops will stand on tiptoe to peek over walls, or have a couple of mates lift them up, or stand on a box, or use a mirror, periscope or even a miniature drone to give themselves 3rd person view, so 3rd-p is not so "unrealistic" as some people think..

I've tried 1st person servers myself but found it boring because the enemy too is restricted to unrealistic 1st person and he's therefore half blind.
Give me a lethal 3rd-p player anytime who has the killer attitude "No rules in a knife fight!" to get my adrenaline racing trying to stay alive against him.. :)

"In town you're the law, but out here it's me!"
out-here-its-meB_zps0854adc8.jpg~origina

Edited by pooroldspike

A note to clubs, clans and groups etc:-

When you do a post advertising your outfit and inviting new members, can you please make it absolutely clear in the post whether you play only 1st or 3rd person?

That way 3rd person junkies like me will be able to contact only the 3rd person outfits..:)

Incidentally in the TV docu "Tankies:Tank Heroes of WW2" on Brit TV last week, one tanker told how his commander often used to stand on the turret roof to see what was on the other side of high Normandy bocage hedgerows, so there's a real-world example of 3rd-person view!

And as other people have said in this thread, real-world troops will stand on tiptoe to peek over walls, or have a couple of mates lift them up, or stand on a box, or use a mirror, periscope or even a miniature drone to give themselves 3rd person view, so 3rd p is not so "unrealistic" as some people think..:)

I've tried 1st-person servers myself but found it boring because the enemy too is restricted to 1st person and he's therefore half blind and not very dangerous.

Give me a lethal 3rd-p player anytime with the attitude "No rules in a knife fight!" to get my adrenaline racing trying to stay alive against him..:)

"In town you're the law, but out here it's me!"

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/out-here-its-meB_zps0854adc8.jpg~original

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pyjfw/features/markurbanintroduction

You forgot one thing.

While standing on the tank the tank commander exposed himself to fire. If you stay tiptoe to peak over a wall you again expose yourself to fire etc.

The Arma 3rd person view allows you to see everything while still beeing in full cover and invisible to your enemy. That is the reason why it gets abused 99% of the time it is enabled. And that is why I prefer to play in 1st person only, especially in MP.

Tonci mate, You forgot one thing:- BOTH players are using 3rd-p, so that makes them both equally dangerous..:)

"Commander, PoorOldSpike is on an interception course in 3rd person mode!"

"Then quickly, engage our own 3rd person scanning array or we shall not see the stars of home again!"

STBalofTerror.jpg

Oh come on Spike, this is a serious discussion about realism, the Starship Enterprise had no such Scanning array although maybe the Klingons were working on some technology to access all equipment through the letter "I"!!??

You forgot one thing.

While standing on the tank the tank commander exposed himself to fire. If you stay tiptoe to peak over a wall you again expose yourself to fire etc.

The Arma 3rd person view allows you to see everything while still beeing in full cover and invisible to your enemy. That is the reason why it gets abused 99% of the time it is enabled. And that is why I prefer to play in 1st person only, especially in MP.

Here is an excellent example which shows much or less the same thing.

User preference!

Right..:) I prefer ruthless opponents who play 3rd person because that makes them a-

Danger_Man_zps90c29f89.jpg~original

Oh boy, Ok.. You got me with that one :)

Which made me think that not so far of in the future third person will actually be possible with personal UAV units, similar to the cheap toys you can get from any toyshop with camera attached, they probably already testing this stuff, so each squad leader has a drone set to follow and he can check through his Google glasses lol.

Done and dusted, they would probably have zoom included complete with night vision, damn I guess something like the darter but much smaller and no drama of back pack or terminal, it'll be automated.

Meh - this discussuion is kind of moot. BI won't remove 3rd person as they'd lose most of the arcade playerbase.

Those claiming that it's just a matter of personal preference neglect the fact that on servers allowing third person, it's a gamechanging advantage close to a wallhack, so not using it at least in certain situations is a crippling disadvantage.

Depending on the setup (e.g. a 15" 3:4 CRT) 1st person may be unrealistically limiting the FOV, but with a proper widescreen solution and a headtracking device, this can easily be solved. Personally, I use 3 1080p 24" screens and headtrack IR, so limited FOV isn't an issue.

Still, I exclusively play on hardcore servers as I don't want to play in 3rd person and still lack the ability to magically peek above walls and around corners without leaving cover, which presumably everyone on the server constantly does. Just a pity there are so few of them.

I'm sure this was posted but it's being posted again. I hate third person. It completely ruins my experience because in COOP missions I can easily see enemies before they see me so it eliminated any feeling of danger or adrenaline. In PVP it's not even a shooter game anymore, it becomes 'who can see who behind the fence/wall/bush/mountain first'.

This threads done, maybe you guys should read the thread before posting the same arguments repeated on every page and wasting internets... rinse repeat rinse repeat rinse repeat rinse repeat.

but its an optional?? rinse repeat rinse repeat, but its not realism hardcore yo rinse repeat rinse beam me up scottie!

It's not even a matter of realism. It's a matter of fun.

Do you enjoy playing a meta-meta-game? With 3rd person enabled it's a game of who can abuse the hover-camera better to get eyes on his enemy first. Without 3rd person you might end up lying in a ditch for 10 minutes without knowing what the hell is going on.

The problem is that 3rd person has been in the game for so long and the casuals can't not use it so removing it will be a mess. RIP in piss game. :(

It's not even a matter of realism. It's a matter of fun.

Do you enjoy playing a meta-meta-game? With 3rd person enabled it's a game of who can abuse the hover-camera better to get eyes on his enemy first. Without 3rd person you might end up lying in a ditch for 10 minutes without knowing what the hell is going on.

The problem is that 3rd person has been in the game for so long and the casuals can't not use it so removing it will be a mess. RIP in piss game. :(

Don't like it ? Don't play with it in SP, find a server that disables it in MP, stop patronizing people who use it. Period.

Edited by ProfTournesol

Myke;2698143']I don't see the use of a poll. It is an option that can be set by player and server owner. IMHO this could be end of discussion (personal opinion).

Well the use of a poll will the same of this written debate- to become aware of somebody's else's preferences and the reasons behind those preferences. It's not like the poll will determine anything for anyone.

And regardless of the poll, I see no harm debating aspects that are later left to anyone's configuration, that's a major part of these forums.

Well the use of a poll will the same of this written debate- to become aware of somebody's else's preferences and the reasons behind those preferences. It's not like the poll will determine anything for anyone.

And regardless of the poll, I see no harm debating aspects that are later left to anyone's configuration, that's a major part of these forums.

Aye, fair enough. Didn't meant to offend.

The 3rd person camera is an optional setting, server admins/owners can set it as they and their players prefer. There are many servers with it on and less but still a lot with it off.

If you dont like 3rd person, only play on 1st person only servers. Problem solved.

Why do the 1st person players feel they have the need, or even the right, to dictate to all the rest of us? If they have the option and opportunity to play on servers that cater to their playstyle, why does how someone else, on some other server plays concern them at all?

The 3rd person camera is an optional setting, server admins/owners can set it as they and their players prefer. There are many servers with it on and less but still a lot with it off.

If you dont like 3rd person, only play on 1st person only servers. Problem solved.

Why do the 1st person players feel they have the need, or even the right, to dictate to all the rest of us? If they have the option and opportunity to play on servers that cater to their playstyle, why does how someone else, on some other server plays concern them at all?

sure it will be a 1st person player that will express his opinion about 3rd person option

but please dont generalize his opinion to all 1st person players

Haha I guess they will study human behaviour in a few thousand years from unlocked forums discovered in cyberspace and decipher threads like these and... scratch their heads in bewilderment :)