Sign in to follow this  
drebin052

Next DLC and Expansion Speculation

Which DLC do you like the most?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which DLC do you like the most?

• Helicopter DLC
    • Marksmen DLC

The Seattle maps level of detail isn't suitable for a ground based game. With it's size, populating it with objects to the level of Altis/Stratis/Chernarus would take ages, and even if they did, it would make the Altis performance problems seem insignificant.

I shudder to think how AI would fight properly building to building; there'd be more AI dead from falling off rooftops than there would be dead from bullets. And picture the AI problems with driving in Kavala magnified by x10.

I expect some nice features from the Marksman DLC.

Weapon resting should be mandatory considering that most sniper rifles have Bipods and I expect it to work as well as it does in community made mods (resting of bipods and rifles without bipods on horizontal structures; supporting your rifle on vertical structures like house corners and trees.)

^ This, AND proper animations for hands and bipods!

It'd be nice to see an option on the NATO stealth (supposedly) helicopters to retract weapons and actually go stealth. On the Ghosthawk, it would be to pull the miniguns in and close the hatches, while with the Blackfoot, the weapon bays would be closed. While the main gun would not be able to be retracted, it should still greatly reduce the radar cross-section.

Two ways of going about 'stealth' would be to have a (somewhat) realistic radar, which would have revolutions and would show larger objects as larger blips, and smaller objects as smaller blips. However, this would be very difficult to implement, just for a DLC, so maybe have it that the Comanche can only be detected by radar once it is close enough, say a kilometre or two. The Ghosthawk would of course be invisible on radar with the weapons retracted, which would make it very cool, and would encourage people to use it in different ways.

Plus, OPFOR needs a stealth-ish helicopter if this is to be implemented.

Only all of the wepaons are opticaly guided or IR guided. Not to menstion passive dedcstion sytems are all ready becoming aviabel. SA test one that can pick up a cessna 120km away. These sytems do not give of a indecastion they on like normal radar and do not care what stealth shap and matrial you made of. This is current tech that will be common by 2035.

In short stealth is dead. Not to menstion weather radars can pick up stealth objects. How do you think the F117 was shot down.

No nato and AAF need proper attack choppers.

AAF can get tigers or rooivalk type thing. NATO can get some mean tilt roter gunship or one of the proto typs that is out there.

I am for a V22 for Nato with a gunship verstion.

Csat needs a light chopper like the pawnee and hellcat and a big lifter.

Adding Mil/MOA 'click' zeroing (elevation and windage) to the appropriate scopes instead of the basic 300, 400, 500... meter elevation "zeroing" that we use now, would be nice. Artillery weapons in the game sort of already do this for the main gun elevation.

Also I'm very very hopeful that BIS have reviewed this ticket as a consequence of the Marksman DLC and want to implement it, since it'll add some flexibility to simulating internal ballistics (which would be appropriate given the theme of the DLC):

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12125

As I've said before, the MagazineCoef parameters were at their core a great idea, and someone at BIS did the hard work of coding the beck-end for the feature already. However, that work is just sitting idle and unused at the moment because it was kind of incorrectly applied to suppressors only (incorrectly in as much that BIS removed the values from their suppressor configs in subsequent patches because the community didn't like this behaviour on suppressors), when it could have applied to the weapon as a whole and been an utterly wonderful feature to apply to the short and long barrelled variants of the game's weapons.

First-focal plane reticles that scale with variable magnification scopes would be nicer than doing it with discretefov and a whole bunch of additional modelOptics[] that results in "stepped" magnification. I think someone at BIS that I spoke to a long time ago said they'd like to try and implement it some day (I think it was Dan Musil some time before he left).

Something like a Vectronix MOSKITO, target location unit would be interesting too:

http://www.vectronix.com/userupload/557_MOSKITO_brochure.pdf

It's more functional in terms of target spotting than a simple laser range finder since it can store information on the azimuth, elevation, range and relative y,z position of an initial target that it lases, then can tell you the relative distance between that original target point, and a newly designated point.

Edited by da12thMonkey

Adding Mil/MOA 'click' zeroing (elevation and windage) to the appropriate scopes instead of the basic 300, 400, 500... meter elevation "zeroing" that we use now, would be nice. Artillery weapons in the game sort of already do this for the main gun elevation.

Also I'm very very hopeful that BIS have reviewed this ticket as a consequence of the Marksman DLC and want to implement it, since it'll add some flexibility to simulating internal ballistics (which would be appropriate given the theme of the DLC):

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=12125

As I've said before, the MagazineCoef parameters were at their core a great idea, and someone at BIS did the hard work of coding the beck-end for the feature already. However, that work is just sitting idle and unused at the moment because it was kind of incorrectly applied to suppressors only (incorrectly in as much that BIS removed the values from their suppressor configs in subsequent patches because the community didn't like this behaviour on suppressors), when it could have applied to the weapon as a whole and been an utterly wonderful feature to apply to the short and long barrelled variants of the game's weapons.

First-focal plane reticles that scale with variable magnification scopes would be nicer than doing it with discretefov and a whole bunch of additional modelOptics[] that results in "stepped" magnification. I think someone at BIS that I spoke to a long time ago said they'd like to try and implement it some day (I think it was Dan Musil some time before he left).

Something like a Vectronix MOSKITO, target location unit would be interesting too:

http://www.vectronix.com/userupload/557_MOSKITO_brochure.pdf

It's more functional in terms of target spotting than a simple laser range finder since it can store information on the azimuth, elevation, range and relative y,z position of an initial target that it lases, then can tell you the relative distance between that original target point, and a newly designated point.

I'm a Sergeant at my country army, did what is called "Curso de caçadores" or a scout sniper school, and i never dealt with stepped magnification scope, that when you zoom it goes directly to the next level, because we have a trick to hitting moving targets that is slightly reducing the zoom magnification to amplify the field of view and the distance between one mil to the other, this way reducing the mil lead of the target, one other thing i hope they change is, sure for regular weapons a 308 speed goes from 2600 fps to 2800 or even 2900, but there is a bullet load for every type of shooting, with my weapon i prefer to you a 3000 fps for shooting at longer ranges, and there is even special ammo that even make a 308 go up to 3500 fps

Merged all new DLC speculation threads with the original one. Please do not create any further DLC speculation threads. Thank you!

I've got high hopes that maybe BI will fix the copilots with the Helo DLChttp://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=17894, and hopefully give any new helo's some proper door and ramp guns. Not a big fan of how all the current transport helo's except the Ghost Hawk are toothless at the moment. Also really looking forward to the possibility of firing from vehicles( Hummingbird hunting parties and the car chase scene from act of valor are running through my mind right now:o)

I shudder to think how AI would fight properly building to building; there'd be more AI dead from falling off rooftops than there would be dead from bullets. And picture the AI problems with driving in Kavala magnified by x10.

Exactly why I'd like to see AI blockers similar to Mount & Blade's 3d editor. Basically invisible "walls" you can place around the edges of any structure which prevents the AI from banzai'ing off the edge but allows all projectiles thru.

Sweet baby Jesus, give us the new aiming from DayZ. Heavier the weapon the more slower it can be turned

I would understand the more slower it can be lift, but turned, you usually use you're whole upper body to do it, and training with specific weapon would make you to turn and lift if more normally, see the Brazilian Bope PT and you'll understand

Am I the only one hoping that BI continues with this vehicle/unit type DLC idea and does some more types later down the road, maybe give armor, naval and fixed wing assets a little love?

And I really wanna see snipers actually working the bolt on the bolt action rifles, its just a little detail but it can go a long way towards realism. Also hoping to see animated door gunners on helos sometime later on.

Edited by Odie0351

Am I the only one hoping that BI continues with this vehicle/unit type DLC idea and does some more types later down the road, maybe give armor, naval and fixed wing assets a little love?

And I really wanna see snipers actually working the bolt on the bolt action rifles, its just a little detail but it can go a long way towards realism. Also hoping to see animated door gunners on helos sometime later on.

Nope, but I think some of these might get their love (I'm hoping naval) in the expansion.

Considering that we have new underwater environments but really no assets to use with it, perhaps we DO need a naval expansion. *whistles to Gnat !

Proper 3d scopes using PiP have been assigned for Iceman today. Maybe a hint for the future Marksmen DLC?

I think they shouldn't use PiP for the scopes, it seems, illogical, PiP is used for exactly the things that it is used for now like functionals screens inside vehicles. It just seems unfit for scopes, scopes need to be accurate and not have a lower framerate and resolution than the rest of the world. The PiP feature as it is doesn't seem all that usefull. I don't know what they do in Red Orchestra 2, its definetly not PiP, but they should use that:

I mean hell, even Call of Duty uses it nowadays so how hard can it be anyway?

Edited by CyclonicTuna

I think they shouldn't use PiP for the scopes, it seems, illogical, and unfit for scopes. The PiP feature as it is doesn't seem all that usefull. I don't know what they do in Rec Orchestra 2, its definetly not PiP, but they should use that

Of course that is PiP RTT.

Of course that is PiP RTT.

I'm pretty sure its not actually. I read in a devblog that the devs of Red Orchestra wanted to simulate lenses, that's why you have the image warping at the edges of the scope, it was something that was harder to achieve with PiP because PiP only allows for a direct image to be placed over the screen which would then accordingly need to be adjusted. The system they used works more like a lighting engine casting a dynamic shadow, only the shadow isn't a shadow but a dynamic warped image that partly covers the screen. This is much more flexible, and allows for features like the lens moving accordingly when the sniper turns his gun to reload a round and.

I could be wrong though, I'm not an expert on these things.

Edited by CyclonicTuna

I'm pretty sure its not actually. I read in a devblog that the devs of Red Orchestra wanted to simulate lenses, that's why you have the image warping at the edges of the scope, it was something that was harder to achieve with PiP because PiP only allows for a direct image to be placed over the screen which would then accordingly need to be adjusted. The system they used works more like a lighting engine casting a dynamic shadow, only the shadow isn't a shadow but a dynamic warped image that partly covers the screen. This is much more flexible, and allows for features like the lens moving accordingly when the sniper turns his gun to reload a round and.

I could be wrong though, I'm not an expert on these things.

that is a RTT just with their dymanic lense feature in their optics

that is a RTT just with their dymanic lense feature in their optics

It's incredibly obvious that it's RTT/PIP, with all the inherent sillines that comes from rendering it on the scope lens closer to the viewpoint. You can see a clear picture even when you shouldn't, like when you've just started to move the optic towards your eye or during the cocking of the rifle after a shot, and the target of the scope RTT remains fixed on the target and displays as a TV screen.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

It's incredibly obvious that it's RTT/PIP, with all the inherent sillines that comes from rendering it on the scope lens closer to the viewpoint. You can see a clear picture even when you shouldn't, like when you've just started to move the optic towards your eye or during the cocking of the rifle after a shot, and the target of the scope RTT remains fixed on the target and displays as a TV screen.

Ye but that can be tweaked

Ye but that can be tweaked

Of course, I was just supporting your point. :)

Of course, I was just supporting your point. :)

I find a disturbing lack of "Tacticool 3D scopes" in your signature picture. Please fix. Personally, I find it'd be nice if they fixed the whole sunshine-makes-aiming-impossible thing before moving on to implementing a PiP solution for scopes.

I get the impression that most of the DLC did not achieve critical success for Arma 2, and wasn't often purchased as much as perhaps it could have been. Some reviewers actually complained about the PMC expansion even though I quite liked it. I'll admit, the campaign wasn't the draw, but it was well made and immersive nonetheless.

I honestly think that while BI has made some truly classic moments in gaming with their singleplayer campaigns, I think BI could absolutely clean up if they started adding professional content expansion in the way of equipment, clothes, guns, vehicles, etc. I've noticed a lot of people complain about the dearth of Arma 3 addons, and some conceding that it is quite a bit more difficult to make certain addons (such as vehicles) for a multitude of reasons.

I personally would really like to see themed equipment expansions. I would REALLY like to see fictitious mercenary type equipment and ordinance.

I'm not talking about present day PMCs, but completely fictitious, in keeping with the near future theme, but with entirely contrived equipment. Garish uniform camo prints, for AI opfor (or players if they feel suicidal), heavy combat suits. Something you might see right out of another series (like army of two), just to add variety of play. Add themed weapons and vehicles with their signature print (kind of similar to the idea of the various squadrons that are featured in the series Ace Combat).

I would even pay for BI to play around with some of the more creative experiments in what the game is capable in terms of alternative game modes that are flexible, easy to set up, not terribly unlike what they already have, but... just more of them, professionally done.

I would pay a reasonable price for these things, however I don't know how large a market there is for story driven expansions, so much as there is simply expanding upon the repertoire of various ways the game can be played, be that with equipment, ordinance, and vehicles, game modes, etc.

It's something to consider, I've always bought BI's expansions ever since the days of the gold upgrade (even though later you got those things for free!). I'm just offering suggestions as to how better reach their customer base.

Edited by Pd3

In my opinion i think they should just stop producing more content and start finishing everything they have in the game instead.

But it´s more important to get your money obviously.