Make Love Not War

AttachToWithMovement: Walkable Vehicle Interriors and Exterirors

Until I find a way to override this animation the script cannot proceed (in regards to aircraft). Any help and/or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Maybe the very thing that hindered progress in A2 will help in A3 in this situation , A roadway Lod would return a Height of 0 no matter how high you were , so maybe set //attach a roadway Lod under the unit and test , i suspect the small clutter cutters should have a roadway lod if you want addon less test .

Maybe you can sent a PM to one of the developers to see if they can help you with that..

It's always an option, but we can't depend on it. I'm hoping the community might have some suggestions or ideas that I overlooked.

Dan;2588256']I am extremely excited with what you have managed to achieve. I could live with what we had so far to be honest' date=' but hopefully BIS can get you over that last hurdle.[/quote']

Thanks for the perspective, but ideally I'd love to make this solution as universal as possible.

Maybe the very thing that hindered progress in A2 will help in A3 in this situation , A roadway Lod would return a Height of 0 no matter how high you were , so maybe set //attach a roadway Lod under the unit and test , i suspect the small clutter cutters should have a roadway lod if you want addon less test .

Thanks Sealife! If roadway LODs really do return height 0 then that would probably be the fix I need. I actually played around with this idea yesterday, but it didn't seem to work. As I was trying out a variety of solutions, however, I ended up rushing through this one and it's quite likely I set things up wrong. I will most definitely investigate this further and report back. Thanks again.

Edit:

Don't worry about that showstopper for a first release.

Screw showstoppers, the show must go on! ;) Don't worry, I'll definitely release everything that I was able to get working and semi-working, so that even if the script isn't fully functional right now future generations might be able to make use of the knowledge gained. I mean, aircraft do work pretty much as expected provided they stay below 100m ATL.... just a wee limitation is all. :)

Edited by Make Love Not War

Ok, just tested the roadway LOD idea and I don't think it can be applied to this case. If the unit begins by standing on a roadway which is then moved upwards above the 100m ATL mark, then everything functions as normal with the unit able to walk around on the surface and so forth. So far, so good. If the unit becomes detached from the roadway in the slightest, however, he immediately goes into the freefall anim and becomes subsequently stuck there. More crucially from the standpoint of this script, all attempts to use any of the setPos commands on the unit while he is standing on the roadway and > 100m ATL immediately throw him into the freefall anim again. Seeing as all variations of this script are built around the ability to setPos the unit onEachFrame, this line of inquiry appears to be a bit of a dead end.

If the unit becomes detached from the roadway in the slightest

cant you attachto perframe , meaning use key press on WASD then use Switchmove to play the WalkForward left etc and match the releveant location ?

sounds easy in the above but i have done something similar in the past and BIS now include some good trig and other funcs in default to helpout .

I appreciate its all abit convoluted but im sure if a way is needed that would be the way .

the only other thing i can think of is a vehicle that is simply made of a Proxy and the Vehicle setposed whilst the player whilst inside the vehicle would assume the stance of the Driver or Cargo anim , this anim again could be changed if required and thus negate all this halo stuff.

cant you attachto perframe , meaning use key press on WASD then use Switchmove to play the WalkForward left etc and match the releveant location ?

sounds easy in the above but i have done something similar in the past and BIS now include some good trig and other funcs in default to helpout .

I appreciate its all abit convoluted but im sure if a way is needed that would be the way .

the only other thing i can think of is a vehicle that is simply made of a Proxy and the Vehicle setposed whilst the player whilst inside the vehicle would assume the stance of the Driver or Cargo anim , this anim again could be changed if required and thus negate all this halo stuff.

Problem with switchMove is that it switches to the start of the anim passed to the command. There does not appear to be a method to switchMove to a specified frame of an animation, so calling it per frame simply locks the character into the first frame of the passed animation. One has to use playMoveNow instead, but the freefall anim overrides that command. SwitchMove also locks the character's upper torso and prevents both aiming animations and freelook. AttachTo has pretty similar effects in that again it locks the character along with preventing freelook and weapon aiming. The is a problem introduced with Arma 3, as Dsylexci succesfully used AttachTo for his LittleBird addon in A2.

Yes, once the unit is attached to the vehicle object by either using attachTo in A2 or setPos'ing to match the vehicle's movement in A3, the next step is to use the keyDown and keyUp display eventhandlers to read keyboard inputs to displace and animate the character accordingly. Most of the trigonometry is trivial; you just have to add up a few vectors. This is how the truck part of the script works; it just fails with aircraft because we lose script control over the animations at altitude.

Yeah, the invisible proxy vehicle idea I have also thought of and played around with a bit, but it might be worth another shot. It might be possible to create an invisible proxy vehicle which allows the character to use the full spectrum of his usual animations while inside of it. From there one simply attaches the proxy vehicle to the vehicle being ridden and then steers the proxy around while playing corresponding character animations. I suggested pretty much this idea in a post somewhere on these forums more than a few months back.

Please MLNW..

If you believe a *ticket related to the problem should be open..i m sure most guys here will gladly support you :/

Yeah, the invisible proxy vehicle idea I have also thought of and played around with a bit, but it might be worth another shot. It might be possible to create an invisible proxy vehicle which allows the character to use the full spectrum of his usual animations while inside of it. From there one simply attaches the proxy vehicle to the vehicle being ridden and then steers the proxy around while playing corresponding character animations. I suggested pretty much this idea in a post somewhere on these forums more than a few months back.

I think thats the way forward ( or backward considering how it was done this way since OFP including solus carry wounded soldier) , good luck with your project , i will look forward to testing when you have it ready , if you struggle with vehicle let me know i can help a little when i have time.

Still no word from BIS yet? :(

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Every time I see a post in this thread, I get overexcited :) Must .... be ..... calm!

Indeed, it's the holidays and the devs deserve a break. Either way, first I want to take a day or two to investigate this idea of using a proxy vehicle. If that fails, I'm thinking the wisest course of action will be to release a working version of the script implemented to the maximum of my abilities, evaluate the specific engine changes needed to allow the script complete functionality and then present all of this to the devs as one package. I think making requests of them to re-write portions of the game code whilst demonstrating an almost fully functional script solution will make for a much more powerful statement than going at them in a more ad-hoc manner. Another quick thought: although A3 is problematic ATM, I'm pretty confident that a version of this script could be adapted to work in A2 with relative ease. Any interest in such an attempt?

Ed: Also, thanks for stopping by, Krem. Yeah, this is pretty exciting. :)

Helicopters, as differing from all other vehicles including "man", has been made by BI to "stick" to moving Geometry.

This clearly says to me they can do it, just they haven't done it for anything else other than Helicopter class ..... yet.

My hope is, they will finish (soon) for all vehicles ..........

I have compared all lines between class helicopter and class air and I haven't seen anything that could remotely enable the correct behaviour of the helicopter class in other classes.

Has anybody had more luck?

That's an interesting find, Gnat. Probably some sort of material property setting within the .p3d itself? I recall reports from months ago regarding the helicopters sticking to all surfaces in an unrealistic manner as if super-glued, so I'm thinking heli wheels and skids are simply given some silly high friction co-efficient. Has anyone looked within the model configs? Didn't have any time for Arma this past week, BTW, so no further progress on any of this was made from my end, but I'll be back at it shortly.

Ed: Just looked inside one of the helicopter model configs and nothing about friction or physx.

Edited by Make Love Not War

So has anyone had any joy when applying this script to aircraft?

Aircraft

Regretfully, moving or shooting while onboard aircraft does not appear possible in A3 using the same or similar techniques that I applied to ground vehicles and ships. Using the script with aircraft works as expected without significant problems except for one complete showstopper of a bug. Namely, the game is hardcoded so that any unit which is above 100m ATL and not seated inside of a vehicle (as a proxy) is automatically forced into the freefall animation on every frame. Until I find a way to override this animation the script cannot proceed (in regards to aircraft). Any help and/or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

I recently had to work around this issue, I had a mission on a skyscraper that was higher than 100 meters. I'll see if I can dig it up in some of my old files.

Of course this was a stationary platform, having it move may complicate things.

Edit: I found it in my halo mission I made recently, in the units init:

[this,"STAND","FULL",{(player distance _this) < 5}] call BIS_fnc_ambientAnimCombat;

Edited by IndoorBradster
I found the line

AWESOME, now if i only knew how to apply the script to the airframe i want to add to it. Great job.

Enjoyed the video :)

"Permission to shoot you in the face?"

"Permission granted".

Hmm is this all we need then for walking and shooting in aircraft?

Hmm is this all we need then for walking and shooting in aircraft?

I've been messing around with the mission that Make Love Not War had created, and you can stand in a c130, however there is still issues such as the plane rolling causes the player to lose contact with the floor, the player will weigh down the aircraft with their weight, and changing altitude rapidly causes glitching with the player, sometimes being ejected out of the plane. I can try with helicopters but I think I will get the same reaction.

I've been messing around with the mission that Make Love Not War had created, and you can stand in a c130, however there is still issues such as the plane rolling causes the player to lose contact with the floor, the player will weigh down the aircraft with their weight, and changing altitude rapidly causes glitching with the player, sometimes being ejected out of the plane. I can try with helicopters but I think I will get the same reaction.

The player losing contact and being ejected out of a sharply moving aircraft seems quite realistic. Just have to make a script that makes the player sit down while in the aircraft cargo.

That command you posted what does that do exactly, it seems complex

[this,"STAND","FULL",{(player distance _this) < 5}] call BIS_fnc_ambientAnimCombat;

I was mocking around with shooting out of vehicles quite some time ago. I made it work but when the car moved the player turned in freefall. This might solve that. Have no idea how i did it though, spent too much time in configs and it all seems just a blur now >.<

Edited by defk0n_NL