Make Love Not War

AttachToWithMovement: Walkable Vehicle Interriors and Exterirors

So the fact it is onEachFrame, does that mean if you have 50 AI on deck then there will be a performance hit ? Would be worth testing that out :)

Well, as it stands at the moment we can only have relatively small ships so it might not be a problem, unless you want some kind of task force, you could use a hide command or enablesimulation false to remedy that maybe?

... if you would like to walk on a surface ensure that the part within the geo LoD is totally solid, ie no joins, now obviously that can be difficult especially if using split models but whenever feasible, go for a solid component block.

Can this be explained a little more, not sure I understand.

Have a trigger maybe that would delete all named ai, or hide them after a certain distance, could that be done?

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

Well on the frigate the helipad wasn't encompassed by one single component, it was split roughly in half. When the ship was at rest I could walk on one half but as soon as I crossed the line, I went for a swim, but I found that making the helipad from one continuous component in the geo LoD it sorted the issue. Ie Solid.

Gee I wish I had this script to test on a large physx based ship. ;)

Very cool stuff indeed. Keeping an eye on it for sure.

So the fact it is onEachFrame, does that mean if you have 50 AI on deck then there will be a performance hit ? Would be worth testing that out :)

Almost undoubtedly. Although they can stand in place on the moving vehicle, currently the AI aren't capable of moving around, so there's not much to test yet.

Have a trigger maybe that would delete all named ai, or hide them after a certain distance, could that be done?

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:30 ----------

Well on the frigate the helipad wasn't encompassed by one single component, it was split roughly in half. When the ship was at rest I could walk on one half but as soon as I crossed the line, I went for a swim, but I found that making the helipad from one continuous component in the geo LoD it sorted the issue. Ie Solid.

Wondering if that's the problem we're seeing with the LCS rear deck as well?

A quick update: was trying to move forward with this script last night by making it work with vanilla BIS vehicles lacking a proper roadway LOD. Got everything working just fine, except for animation problems. At times the RV engine is just too clever in regards to how it plays both character and vehicle animations and doesn't allow you to force or override certain anims when necessary. I'm not a happy camper today. This seems an all too common story for me with Arma editing: I can get so very close with a certain feature, only to be foiled by one, single misbehaving component and/or behaviour which sinks the entire thing. GRRRRR...

You'd think a nice BIS employee would chime in and help... Has anyone added this link to the Dev Heaven? (I would but I'm on m phone :S )

This seems an all too common story for me with Arma editing: I can get so very close with a certain feature, only to be foiled by one, single misbehaving component and/or behaviour which sinks the entire thing. GRRRRR...

QFT - I can say the same.

Wondering if that's the problem we're seeing with the LCS rear deck as well

Quite possibly, I'll run some tests, easy enough to sort out.

Quite possibly, I'll run some tests, easy enough to sort out.

Thank you! That would be very helpful if you could find a possible fix. As for the dev heaven link, do you mean this A3 feedback tracker ticket? Yeah, I'll post a link there, but honestly other than some dev posting a solitary "we thank you for your feedback" copypaste more than half a year back, not much suggests that BIS even read that thread. It's the holidays anyway, so we shouldn't expect to hear anything from BIS till after the new year.

@zooloo75: we could start an exclusive drinking club just for arma modders where we can gather around with several bottles of whiskey and retell all our war/sob stories about all those "mods that got away". ;)

@zooloo75: we could start an exclusive drinking club just for arma modders where we can gather around with several bottles of whiskey and retell all our war/sob stories about all those "mods that got away". ;)

My P:\ is obscene I've got so many unfinished projects I'd give Franz Kafka a run for his money.

Had a shot at the rear of the LCS but the whole geo lod will need looked at, I'll see what I can do over christmas.

Edited by farside

wow great job on this.. Would love to be able to "Man Battle stations !"

Great job

SJ

When I had a poke around the lcs if your talking about the lower deck when you get near the rear doors there is about 3 or 4 roadway pieces missing that is why you fall through the lower deck before reaching the doors top deck I have not fallen through yet.

Here is a teaser video showcasing the script being used on the HEMTT truck while I shoot at targets along the road:

Development Update

ProGamer just kindly posted a short video of a little showcase he put together demo'ing the latest version of the script being used to move around and shoot from the back of a HEMTT truck. Yeah, I managed to sort out those animation issues I was having last week and created a method for being able to move/shoot around while riding vehicles that don't have a roadway LOD in the model p3d (ie., BIS vanilla vehicles). Seems to work pretty well, although there's a lot more work that needs to be done before this is ready for any sort of wider release.

A few more notes: there's still some annoying jitter present which is particularly visible when the truck goes up slopes, but I'm fairly sure that can be fixed. Also, after the success of this test, I'm now confident that - by hook or by crook - it should be possible to script shooting from the interior of vehicles. The biggest obstacle to a solid implementation are animations. I imagine that shooting a rifle from the inside of a car is somewhat of an awkward proposition at best IRL. Trying to replicate that in-game so that it's functional yet still looks and feels realistic is going to be a difficult task, particularly animation-wise.

Anyway, don't want to get too bogged down into the details just yet, so for now I'm going to leave the HEMTT and other ground vehicles and move onto testing an implementation for aircraft. Think I'll start with seeing what can be donw with Littlebirds. :)

Amazing how far we came in all these years isnt it

Great work hope you can find the old code from ofp that allowed fuill working leaning etc , i miss that so much keep it up

@Gnat: Good observation; always much appreciated whenever people let me know that they see something weird or otherwise "fishy". Good news regarding the reloads, however. I just tested it and the reloads work without a hitch. Seems like ProGamer just hit reload and started moving backwards during the animation

. See anything else that looks strange or unexpected?

@Sealife: Leaning - the 'Q' and 'E' keys - is in and works flawlessly. Should have showed that off, huh? :) Stance adjusts, prone and weapon switching are some of the big ones that are not in yet, however. It's mostly a question of sitting down and going through all the animations and adding them to the code, although there will still be a few extra technical issues to sort out such as re-working the collision detection for the prone animations.

The other big thing left to implement here is mount and dismount code. I'll release somethig for everybody to play with in a week or two, but there's still so much missing right now that there's no point in wider scale testing yet. Nevertheless, things are looking really good again (inb4 I come back tomorrow with more rage posts crying about why SQF won't let me do this or that :mad:). Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Edited by Make Love Not War

Great news about the leaning , miss it trenedously ,altho video isnt mine i remember offtimes grom units and the ole script , wish i can remember the chaps name .

I guess the collisiongeom used by activated anim isnt accessible or returnable maybe or you reffer to collision between unit and vehicle ? ? its a config entry so maybe config value can be returned and a default arry used thereafter ?

again with mount dismount cofig entry for memoryPointsGetInCargoPrecise from vehicle can be returned and abused by configentry maybe ?

Here is a teaser video showcasing the script being used on the HEMTT truck while I shoot at targets along the road:

Finally, shooting from vehicles. Well done MLNW ! A guru coder amongst men !

@OP

You don't have idea how much -some of us- think this thread is of utmost importance

Aircraft

Regretfully, moving or shooting while onboard aircraft does not appear possible in A3 using the same or similar techniques that I applied to ground vehicles and ships. Using the script with aircraft works as expected without significant problems except for one complete showstopper of a bug. Namely, the game is hardcoded so that any unit which is above 100m ATL and not seated inside of a vehicle (as a proxy) is automatically forced into the freefall animation on every frame. Until I find a way to override this animation the script cannot proceed (in regards to aircraft). Any help and/or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Maybe you can sent a PM to one of the developers to see if they can help you with that..

Aircraft

Regretfully, moving or shooting while onboard aircraft does not appear possible in A3 using the same or similar techniques that I applied to ground vehicles and ships. Using the script with aircraft works as expected without significant problems except for one complete showstopper of a bug. Namely, the game is hardcoded so that any unit which is above 100m ATL and not seated inside of a vehicle (as a proxy) is automatically forced into the freefall animation on every frame. Until I find a way to override this animation the script cannot proceed (in regards to aircraft). Any help and/or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

I am extremely excited with what you have managed to achieve. I could live with what we had so far to be honest, but hopefully BIS can get you over that last hurdle.