Sign in to follow this  
m1lkm8n

Sahrani for A3 by SMD

still look as good as the day I played arma 1 love this map and your teams work on this.

Really hope someone makes OG Evolution for Sahrani as some my fav arma experiences ever was playing Evolution on Sahrani.

It was like Domination only you would go town to town in sequence just like it was a real invasion liberating the oppressed Sahrani locals even if it meant leveling and nuking their whole town. Another cool thing was how if you accidentally went ahead to the next town before the other was taken it would still come to life with enemies. I thought that was a cool feature and from my experience it hardly caused much lag and from how arma 3 is running I think it would be a none issue unless your pc or bandwidth is low quality.

The Sharani-Island by SMD for Arma2 works fine with Arma3

Yes, and Caa1 Sahrani before that, and even A1 Sahrani with All in Arma also "work" in Arma 3.

Our goal is to bring the map up to much higher standards than was previously possible.

SMD_Sahrani_A2 was the 1st step in a multi-staged plan that we laid out in the beginning of the year.

I am currently on vacation, but when I return we should be releasing an updated SMD_Sahrani_A2 version with some more buildings and some fixes... Then the focus will shift towards getting a purpose built A3 addon version of the map finished so there is no need for AiA, and it will also be of significantly higher quality due to it being made specifically for A3.

Is there any news about this project?

Sorry for the lack of updates here.

M1lkm8n is working on a different project/terrain currently. So work on the terrain has effectively stopped for now.

I am getting more comfortable in picking up the modelling of the buildings, and once I've finished the 4 or so buildings I've started, I will place them on the terrain, and put out an update to the SMD_Sahrani_A2 terrain.

From there, I will start converting all the buildings M1lkm8n did, as well as my own to A3. I just need to add physx LOD to all of them. It will be time consuming, and I will still need to do all the signs, trees, bushes, and non-enterable buildings as well.

I can't gauge a timeline realistically at this point, I have a lot of other focuses that are taking priority, and all of it involves getting a good workflow setup and spending LOTS of tedious hours editing models... Even if I get aggressive with it, I don't see it happening in under 3-6 months.

Guys I to am sorry for taking so long to post this. but as Cifor has stated I have moved on to another project for now. It's not to say I wont get back to this to work with cifor but for the foreseeable future yes. After finishing up the bulk of the a2 sahrani mod we were preparing to move to a3 when I decided for now I had enough of other peoples terrains and wanted to get into my own terrain making. Our work on Sahrani has always been open so if someone wants to pick up the reigns the source is available and you can work with cifor.

I loved the A2 port of Sahrani, really looking forward to this!

Hello, is the project still alive? I guess not... It's sad, because with AiA and with this map, the old A1 campaign work well in A3! So for now I have to download it separately and place it manually, but I hope that you'll manage one day to make it!

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25897

Heya,

The project is on indefinite hold. M1lkm8n is working on another terrain, and I don't have the time to dedicate to it.

Currently, the very loose plan is as follows:

1. Take the SMD A2 buildings and convert them all for A3 use (partially complete)

2. Share those buildings with @CUP so they can be included and integrated into AiA with full A3 function

3. Loop back and start processing ALL the other objects.

4. Begin work on importing the terrain to Terrain Builder for full A3 functionality update

5. Add undersea ground textures so the ocean floor is properly populated with Coral Clutter

I can't provide any kind of timeline for any of it though. My guess is next year sometime.... but that's a fairly wild guess...

Ok thanks! But as it is usable like it is now, isn't it possible to officialy publish it to A3 in a version like 0.1 or something like that, so it could be downloaded normally for exemple through playwithSIX, and so your plan could be updates instead, isn't it possible? Thank you anyway!

Ok thanks! But as it is usable like it is now, isn't it possible to officialy publish it to A3 in a version like 0.1 or something like that, so it could be downloaded normally for exemple through playwithSIX, and so your plan could be updates instead, isn't it possible? Thank you anyway!

Yes, I've been meaning to put together an A3_Lite package that will just fix the map preview screens, the map tiling issues, and the intro scene errors.

I will try to get that done this month for sure.

So, I began work on getting the terrain into Terrain Builder and get the roads/tiling issues sorted out. It will initially depend on AiA as I haven't finished the work on the buildings for full A3 use as yet.

Hopefully I can get a working build together in the next few weeks, Terrain Builder is really slow and painful to work with, and I'm by no means experienced.

Thanks to Bushlurker for walking me through the steps and getting me this far!

HUGE thanks to Ian Banks for processing the roads into shapefiles!

By tiling issue do you mean that thing where arma 1 maps (and stuff like celle 2) get those glitches with the map texture and it gets all distorted like big lines of "pixels" and everything, like how Sahrani on AiA tp is for instance, or celle 2 when used on a3?

So, I began work on getting the terrain into Terrain Builder and get the roads/tiling issues sorted out. It will initially depend on AiA as I haven't finished the work on the buildings for full A3 use as yet.

Hopefully I can get a working build together in the next few weeks, Terrain Builder is really slow and painful to work with, and I'm by no means experienced.

We really appreciate your efforts :)

Thanks for doing this!

By tiling issue do you mean that thing where arma 1 maps (and stuff like celle 2) get those glitches with the map texture and it gets all distorted like big lines of "pixels" and everything, like how Sahrani on AiA tp is for instance, or celle 2 when used on a3?

Yeah, the "tiles" that make up the satellite image are arranged incorrectly in Arma 3, so when you look at the map in terrain view, or are in a heli/plane you see the ground beneath with grids misplaced.

Good news! Got the first attempt at a build packed... BAD NEWS lol, it's all screwy, it's likely going to take a LOT of fiddling to get the roads in correctly for A3. The ground textures are also giving me problems, not sure what that's about,

http://puu.sh/cSKcf/83d6b21a89.jpg (217 kB)

I'm also seeing if I can get some of the A3 fanciness built in.

I added in the A3 ambient life (sea creatures), and hopefully the fog as well, the lighting was really complicated at first glance, so I didn't even try that.

I also would like to look into getting the seafloor textures in place, since Sahrani already has ocean floor topography, although it might not play nice as there are a lot of shallows near land. I'll have to look into it a bit more in depth (lol), but I'd REALLY like for Sahrani to have a really cool ocean to play in. I'm a scuba diver, so that's been one of the most motivating aspects of A3 for me.

The opening/editing/packing process in terrain builder is enough to make you want to jump off a building... and I live on the 9th floor... so that's not a good thing.

For lighting, contact Fabio_chavez he is the guy who does all that great lighting for aia and everything

Do you think this could replace sahrani in aia tp, or is this probably gonna always stay separate?

Wow, that was NOT fun... but it sure felt amazing when it loaded right and worked.

Te70fZZl.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and edit the gas station, beef up the config to get as much of the Arma 3 goodness I can w/o creating delays in a release by tomorrow or the weekend.

If anyone else has any bugs they've noticed or features they're aware of that they want added feel free to comment.

• Like 1

Back to Sahrani, finally! This proper port will be awesome, just waiting to see all great missions that will be played on it! (maybe a remake of Queens Gambit using PG PMCs units ;D

Keep up the great work M1lkm8n and CiforDayZServer!

cheers!