tpM

Advanced Combat Sound Environment (A3) WiP Thread

also experimenting with how a grenade should sound when it explodes very close to a listener when he is behind cover.

sounds like an incredibly dangerous experiment!! Mod sounds great though, excellent work!

Very eager to try this one! After seeing the demo video I'm quite sure it will be replacing my other sound mod(s). My internets to you, good sir.

Will there be a release for A2:CO or are you just releasing for A3?

Hey Nou, first I want to wish you a happy new year. I hope you had some fun with fireworks :)

I was very glad to see your post on Reddit that ACE 3 and ACRE 2 are coming, I´m curious why you didn´t include ACSE? :p

I guess because ACSE was announced way back, so it's obvious. :P

I hope the player can have a good distance perception when shots are fired..

so will this override Mod gun sounds, because i think this would sound better than the JSRS sounds on Massis weapons and also Kiorys L85A2

Just wondered how it's coming along, tpM. Any newsy titbits to offer? Keep up the good work.

At the moment I'm thinking about changing the distance of which after the last step of distant sounds should kick in. So currently the distant sound modelling is divided into 5 "steps": 1st person (0-1m, you hear this when you fire your weapon or an other weapon gets fired next to your ear xD), close (1-25m), medium (25-50), far (150-600) and well, how should I call it? "Pop", which is from 600m to 3-4 kilometers. Now I'm thinking about raising this 600m to like 800 or even 1km, because 600 meters might be too close to percieve weapon fire like that. This type of sound 'm talking about:

Would be nice to get some advice from people who are more familiar with weapons and their sounds (IRL) than I am. :)

Edited by tpM

At the moment I'm thinking about changing the distance of which after the last step of distant sounds should kick in. So currently the distant sound modelling is divided into 5 "steps": 1st person (0-1m, you hear this when you fire your weapon or an other weapon gets fired next to your ear xD), close (1-25m), medium (25-50), far (150-600) and well, how should I call it? "Pop", which is from 600m to 3-4 kilometers. Now I'm thinking about raising this 600m to like 800 or even 1km, because 600 meters might be too close to percieve weapon fire like that. This type of sound 'm talking about:

Would be nice to get some advice from people who are more familiar with weapons and their sounds (IRL) than I am. :)

I'm not sure how far that is, in your test video. I'm not military but I live on a small peninsula with town occupying most of it. Shooting of firearms is not allowed in our town but on the edge of it is a popular area for duck hunting, perhaps 2km away from where I live. This means I hear shotgun blasts from a fairly standard distance (the area they can be shooting in is confined by city limits and water) and they are barely perceptible in my region of heavily wooded flatland. I've been within 500m of a shooting range as well here but they have berms designed to keep the sound from disturbing the residents, but that is very similar to what I hear in your video.

I would say, based on my very limited experience, that the sounds in your latest video are very close to being correct.

I am gonna be honest. i have more faith on SoS than ACSE. one of the main reasons is that some of your own features seems too hard like to be implemented and i guess SoS is using a dynamic way to make noise fade away, instead of ACSE having different parameters.

Same with terrain, while SoS has one universal terrain sound effect for everything, you try to make pre-made sound echoes for every terrain, i trust that SoS will make also a dynamic way to make the terrain reflect the sound. The problem with making pre-built sound reflections for the terrain is that unless a map is modified to be used with ACSE, that feature wont work (i dont think you can make the mod auto-detect the terrain in general and STILL be client-side-only mod).

That stated, i am interested in how this is a client-side-only mod. i am done with having to have exactly the same amount of addons the server has to be able to join them, it gets annoying (this did not happened on OFP as i remember).

I don't get what are you talking about. I'm not doing pre-made echoes for every terrain. That would be crazy. There are only 2 presets: woodland and desert, and compatibility-wise only thing we have to do is to include the map's name at a script (otherwise it will consider the terrain as "desert"), but that's not a big deal at all.

Yes, since SoS uses a seperate sound file as reverb, it can fade it dynamically, but the disadvantage of that is that you still getting the "base" sound, so you can't make the interior shots sound completely different as IRL.

I presume each sound system will have their strong points and weak points.But that's how it is and it's okay.

The videos sounds great to me, certainly. Personally, I reckon the complexity of ACSE potentially will allow a higher relative immersion than other sound mods, and the much higher variety of parameters will keep the sounds fresh and interesting. By nature no other mod as yet announced will come close in that respect, but it's a case of the core sounds being solid, as well. From what I have heard thus far, they do seem to be.

Also nice signature, tpM. Now I just want to know when ;) Joint release with ACSE, perhaps...?

Dunno exactly, but as I said before, you get those sounds after 600 meters...

Also nice signature, tpM. Now I just want to know when ;) Joint release with ACSE, perhaps...?

Seemless transition . . . . ;)

sounds great to my ears so far!

One thing though, there are parts that crackle, I like the "popcorn" effect for distance shooting, but I can hear this crackle? as if the sound is closer than it should be. It is either my speakers or the recording of the video??

This mod will be very nice i personally love sound mods they are the best kind of mods keep up the good work.

Dunno exactly, but as I said before, you get those sounds after 600 meters...

Ok, in that video IMO you shouldn't get those popping sounds yet, it's a surprisingly long distance after which gun fire becomes like that, especially in the open.

I am gonna be honest. i have more faith on SoS than ACSE. one of the main reasons is that some of your own features seems too hard like to be implemented and i guess SoS is using a dynamic way to make noise fade away, instead of ACSE having different parameters.

Same with terrain, while SoS has one universal terrain sound effect for everything, you try to make pre-made sound echoes for every terrain, i trust that SoS will make also a dynamic way to make the terrain reflect the sound. The problem with making pre-built sound reflections for the terrain is that unless a map is modified to be used with ACSE, that feature wont work (i dont think you can make the mod auto-detect the terrain in general and STILL be client-side-only mod).

That stated, i am interested in how this is a client-side-only mod. i am done with having to have exactly the same amount of addons the server has to be able to join them, it gets annoying (this did not happened on OFP as i remember).

As was stated by Jarhead the SoS mod is not that realistic and the sounds are not properly done... I'm down for pairing this ASCE with JSRS