Sign in to follow this  
tpw

TPW FALL: realistic infantry falling system

Hello TPW, been testing 1.08 and I don't see any ragdolling unless the unit is shot dead. I am sure I am using the right config. It seems like units just fall as they did before. I donno maybe its just to seemless and i cant "Tell/notice" the ragdolling.

EDIT: after time and time again of getting shot I think i notice the ragdoll..

Edited by Lordprimate

TPW FALL v1.08 test 3: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_FALL_108.zip

Changes:

• Ragdoll is now optional - make sure you use the new config
  • Ragdoll transitions have been refined but are still not seamless. Disable ragdoll if they annoy you too much because there's not much else I can do.
  • Ragdoll units are only considered "dead" by enemy AI for the 0.5 - 1 sec they are falling. Once on the ground, they are fair game again.

Just to state it again: I am not going to make changes to shot units' health or behaviour beyond the few seconds they are prone. I prefer to let the engine and/or decent AI behaviour scripts take over beyond this point.

Barring any show stoppers, I will make this an official release tomorrow.

Look forward to checking this out tomorrow

cheers

Hello TPW, been testing 1.08 and I don't see any ragdolling unless the unit is shot dead. I am sure I am using the right config. It seems like units just fall as they did before. I donno maybe its just to seemless and i cant "Tell/notice" the ragdolling.

EDIT: after time and time again of getting shot I think i notice the ragdoll..

LP, the ragdolling does not apply to the player, only to other AI. The ragdolling is actually done by a temporary replace of the shot unit with a dead body. This looks very weird in first person!

LP, the ragdolling does not apply to the player, only to other AI. The ragdolling is actually done by a temporary replace of the shot unit with a dead body. This looks very weird in first person!

Hmm, should just glue my palm to my face.....

Hmm, should just glue my palm to my face.....

Make sure it's reversible, you won't be able to play A3 otherwise

1) I support the fact you took time and effort into making this

2) However, the video I watched seemed to be a pain in the ass. Being in the military myself I know for a fact I can jump off a 2foot high rock without falling.

3) The AI seemed to trip over...the ground?

I do like the idea of a heavy caliber weapon or explosive knocking you over in that manner. I dont think I am necessarily a fan of falling left or right every time I hit a tiny ledge. Understandibly, the values can probably be changed.

Video was outdated most likely. You fall to the prone stance only when falling from 2m+ very much now.

1) I support the fact you took time and effort into making this

2) However, the video I watched seemed to be a pain in the ass. Being in the military myself I know for a fact I can jump off a 2foot high rock without falling.

3) The AI seemed to trip over...the ground?

I do like the idea of a heavy caliber weapon or explosive knocking you over in that manner. I dont think I am necessarily a fan of falling left or right every time I hit a tiny ledge. Understandibly, the values can probably be changed.

Thanks for the feedback, but I'd really prefer it if people actually used the addon before passing judgement on it. The videos are definitely outdated*. I totally rewrote the falling code so that units no longer trip, and in fact need to drop ~ 1m before they'll kneel, and ~2m before they'll fall to ground. And yes, the values can be changed.

* No offense to McLupo, thanks for your efforts!

TPW FALL v1.08: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_FALL_108.zip

Changes:

• Optional ragdoll falling implemented for live units.
  • Skills are reduced for the duration of a fall.
  • High falls will no longer trigger hit fall animations.

This is the full release, essentially the same as the recent test releases with a few small code cleanups.

Changes:

This is the full release, essentially the same as the recent test releases with a few small code cleanups.

Thanks again mate

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Changes:

May i ask how you did that?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it :)

Edited by mantls

I just tried the 1.08 and it's awesome ! :) I really like your job there, ragdoll is now being used to full effect. Very good job !

When Arma 3 alpha was out, I anticipated popular mods from Arma 2 but I'm totally excited by the next gen mod that you guys have created (jump, fall, and weapon switch on the move, etc.) that allows a whole new level of freedom of movement that Arma has never known ! Thank you.

Great!

In particular the visual effect when soldiers get hit increases immersion considerably. Thanks a lot for the mod! :bounce3:

Why don't you put out a new video? You put a lot of work into this, so putting out a new video would help people decide to try it. Right now, the video looks like it's more of a drunk mod, and I see why negative feedback. Arma 3 has a pretty good fall system now. Units are changing into different positions in the air. The higher the fall the lower they land. I can't see wanting to fall down in the game but as long as you are putting so much work into it you might as well make it realistic. I would be curious to see ragdoll implementation with this, cause falling onto your side when you are moving forward isn't realistic either. Maybe as you get further in, you can create some falling animations (if ragdoll doesn't do that already).

Getting shot makes sense to fall. How about a controlled roll. A soldier coming down from a higher obstacle would most likely do a controlled roll, more than falling. I would keep your falls to accidental things. I can't imagine the mess that comes with AI being affected by this mod. It's hard to keep them in your group together enough as it is. AI will be messy-although they seem to walk through rocks and everything else.

keep up the good work though.

bla...I can't imagine the mess that comes with AI being affected by this mod....bla

why rely on your imagination, if you can just try it. i'm pretty sure tpW actually tested a lot and made it reasonable.

and seriously. i don't get posts like this. there are obviously people who like this mod/script. and even, if that wasn't the case, it's still very well executed and seems to be what tpW wants. he was just kind enough to share it with people.

so maybe keep your uneducated modding advice to yourself. you obviously have no idea about it. suggesting him to "just" make some anims. believe me. it's more work than you think despite the fact that this here started as an addon free script.

would you go over to a painter who made a painting that doesn't fit your personal taste and tell him "just letting you know, i don't like what you are doing here, but keep it up"? nope. only on the internet where everyone thinks his opinion is pure gold.

so putting out a new video would help people decide to try it.

that might be true but what makes you think he gives a fuck? he's not getting paid and trying to gather customers.

Could the randomization of when an AI gets knocked down to when he gets back up be increased? Maybe from seconds to minutes? Or I should ask if the AI is in a down state are you able to make sure he's dead with a few rounds or is it that he's dead and cannot be finished of until he gets up again? Hope you get what I'm meaning.

I only ask as I'm not sure if I've actually killed a unit, and so have to wait and make sure he doesn't get back up, I really like that part, very immersive... if it's random up to say 5mins then that kind of creates a different scenario where I'll need to ensure he's actually dead, also it would create a bit of tension if that AI that was lying there 3mins ago is not there when looking/moving back.

Another thing Is that ive been knocked down a few times with explosions, it does feel a little gentle, I get your hesitation with fading to black but would be nice if you could get the connection somehow between violent explosion and knocked to the ground, personally I love blurring but get that's nearly as bad as saying COD these days :]... Anyway jus thoughts.

Edited by Katipo66

Could the randomization of when an AI gets knocked down to when he gets back up be increased? Maybe from seconds to minutes? Or I should ask if the AI is in a down state are you able to make sure he's dead with a few rounds or is it that he's dead and cannot be finished of until he gets up again? Hope you get what I'm meaning.

I only ask as I'm not sure if I've actually killed a unit, and so have to wait and make sure he doesn't get back up, I really like that part, very immersive... if it's random up to say 5mins then that kind of creates a different scenario where I'll need to ensure he's actually dead, also it would create a bit of tension if that AI that was lying there 3mins ago is not there when looking/moving back.

Another thing Ive been knocked down a few times with explosions, I've only experienced that in first person, it does feel a little gentle, I get your hesitation with fading to black but would be nice if you could get the connection somehow between violent explosion and knocked to the ground.

Hello there

I too would like a random time for AI to stay down/concussed/etc There was an older A1 mod which enabled wounding/stunned AI and it changed the dynamic of the battlefield as you could never be sure if anyone who is down is actually out of the battle.

Regardless, a great mod.

rgds

LoK

Hi guys. Currently the random time is different for the different aspects of the mod. So when a unit falls from a height he's back up in a second or so. When a unit is hit such that animated falls are triggered then it's random up to 5 sec, with the unit able to fire at reduced skill, to simulate being stunned but not incapacitated. When hit hard enough to trigger a ragdoll fall, then its currently up to 15 seconds, with the unit lying incapacitated and unable to move or fire. They all lie belly down and still move their heads though, so can usually be differentiated from the truly dead with their ragdoll poses. Apart from the 1 sec of actual ragdolling, you can kill any unit on the ground from a fall or hit.

I might spin the ragdoll fall ground time out to a config, so you can change it to whatever value suits.

PS thanks for the defence BadBenson!

Hi guys. Currently the random time is different for the different aspects of the mod. So when a unit falls from a height he's back up in a second or so. When a unit is hit such that animated falls are triggered then it's random up to 5 sec, with the unit able to fire at reduced skill, to simulate being stunned but not incapacitated. When hit hard enough to trigger a ragdoll fall, then its currently up to 15 seconds, with the unit lying incapacitated and unable to move or fire. Apart from the 1 sec of actual ragdolling, you can kill any unit on the ground from a fall or hit.

I might spin the ragdoll fall ground time out to a config, so you can change it to whatever value suits.

PS thanks for the defence BadBenson!

Sounds awesome, I haven't checked on this mod in a while and it's sure grown! Fantastic work!

@tpw: Might it be possible that this mod prevents to hit an AI with more than a single bullet in the first salvo?

Since the first bullet might trigger the ragdoll, which is then 'invulnerable' until the body is on the ground?

I could not positively confirm this with tests, but I suspect it might be like that...

Despite that, like I said before, the gain in immersion is incredible. It is absolutely stunning to sometimes see an enemy go down under fire and then return fire from the ground. I appreciate any randomness and surprises the game can give me. Please keep this mod going!

@tpw: Might it be possible that this mod prevents to hit an AI with more than a single bullet in the first salvo?

Since the first bullet might trigger the ragdoll, which is then 'invulnerable' until the body is on the ground?

I could not positively confirm this with tests, but I suspect it might be like that...

Despite that, like I said before, the gain in immersion is incredible. It is absolutely stunning to sometimes see an enemy go down under fire and then return fire from the ground. I appreciate any randomness and surprises the game can give me. Please keep this mod going!

You are right, but the problem only occurs when a unit ragdolls. I use hideobject so that the actual unit is hidden for the ~1 sec duration of the replacement dummy's ragdoll. The hidden unit no longer responds to damage. This is just another consequence of being forced to use hacks to implement ragdolls on live units.

You are right, but the problem only occurs when a unit ragdolls. I use hideobject so that the actual unit is hidden for the ~1 sec duration of the replacement dummy's ragdoll. The hidden unit no longer responds to damage. This is just another consequence of being forced to use hacks to implement ragdolls on live units.

So if you don't use the rag-doll option can a unit take damage on "the way down?" - I'll have to test tomorrow! Replaying the showcases with this makes me smile.... haven't seen a "twitch" for days;-)

I was playing a mission last night, got surprised and knocked down by an enemy bullet and was madly scrambling for cover as more shots flew by. It was awesome! Thanks tpw! As others have said, your mod adds a lot more immersion to the game. And unless I see an enemy's weapon fall, I keep shooting even when he's down, now.

I'm actually not sure if this is because I have an older build of TPW Fall, but when I do slightly hard landings in a chopper, the animation of falling plays...despite being in a chopper. Is this of an old build, or an issue yet to be addressed?