bad benson

midrange terrain texture replacement

Is this fix still working well for everyone?

what fix? just use the latest version and you'll be fine since it only replaces the texture path and nothing else.

Hi,

you have not the latest version in the first post. Altis update is missing there. So that is propably the reason that MacScottie has problem to run it correctly. I found the latest version here - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19524&highlight=TERRAIN%2BTEXTURE

Anyway, Bad Benson thanks for this mod, I use sharp3 and Altis now looks really great!

Bad Benson, thank you so much for this, buddy, the island wouldn't look half as good if it wasn't for your mod :)

Strong definitely looks good for me on Altis - great stuff BB!!! More or less fixes my biggest bug bear with this game!!

Hello, Bad Benson, thank you for this great addon. But is there any fix for this:

h_t_t_p://funkyimg.com/i/GhvQ.jpg

Sorry for this trick with link, limitations of the new registered account.

Edited by freewood
Corrected link

Hello, I would also kindly like to ask for a fix for that mentioned above from freewood. Thank you.

Hello im new to A3, and im ust trying to find a good visibility setting. This i think will help as sometimes on aournd 2000 you get some ugly distance hills etc..

WIll this do the trick.. DOes this add any FPS as well? WIll the different versions heavily differ in FPS.?

cheers

Edited by msportdan

Is this still used by people, or is it now defunct? If the latter is true, is there a successor modification?

I'm confused since this thread hasn't been updated in a year, but the mid-range textures still look horrible in vanilla A3

Is this still used by people, or is it now defunct? If the latter is true, is there a successor modification?

I'm confused since this thread hasn't been updated in a year, but the mid-range textures still look horrible in vanilla A3

what exactly is the problem? are te links broken? iirc i uploaded this to the workshop too, so there's an alternative if that's the case. although i'm pretty much sure that the armaholic links should work fine.

anyways. there will be a re-release once i have a new pc so people can download this plus the signature and server key files from the workshop too. my old one broke though so i'm writing from a very old mac laptop at the moment. means i can't really do anything to the files for a while. need to save some money for a new machine first.

the reason the thread is quiet though is due to there being nothing else to say. the addon was finished quite a while ago. and there's only so much you can discuss about a simple texture replacement addon like this ;)

what exactly is the problem? are te links broken? iirc i uploaded this to the workshop too, so there's an alternative if that's the case. although i'm pretty much sure that the armaholic links should work fine.

anyways. there will be a re-release once i have a new pc so people can download this plus the signature and server key files from the workshop too. my old one broke though so i'm writing from a very old mac laptop at the moment. means i can't really do anything to the files for a while. need to save some money for a new machine first.

the reason the thread is quiet though is due to there being nothing else to say. the addon was finished quite a while ago. and there's only so much you can discuss about a simple texture replacement addon like this ;)

Oh sorry, I guess I could have just tried it first before asking. I just thought if one feature wasn't working properly or what ever (due to an update or something), having not used it before, I wouldn't know if it was right or not.

But yeah, sorry, should of just tried it. It's still on Armaholic and I've even downloaded (just not had time to install or play) before asking :p

---------- Post added at 15:12 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------

Woo it's amazing :yay:

i cant get it to work. ive installed that one from armaholic. set it to:

mainfolder:

@BaBe_midTex --> addons

@BaBe_midTex --> keys

@BaBe_midTex --> addons --> babe_altis_midtex_sharp2.pbo

@BaBe_midTex --> addons --> babe_altis_midtex_sharp2.pbo.badbenson.bisign

@BaBe_midTex --> addons --> off (folder)

@BaBe_midTex --> keys --> badbenson.bikey

When i enter my server, the server told me. babe_altis_midtex_sharp2.pbo is not a verified / signed.

after click *okay* i get kicked. any idea what happs?

Keys (*.bikey) need to go in Arma3\Keys\ (not in Arma3\@MOD\Keys\).

This is such a great mod that when I accidentally disabled it I thought that someone had installed retro landscape mod, with flashback to OFP (it burns my eyes!)

Seriously, I'm confused about which version I should be running:

A) Babe_midTex_April29 = 4.9 MB

B) BaBe_midTex_27_08_13 = 9.9 MB

The reason is that option B seems more recent and its the one hosted on Armaholic but its not the one mentioned in the first post...

Any ideas?

Edited by domokun

hm. you can use whatever you like as long as you're in SP or on a server that allows it :p

but if i remember correctly, updated just means more versions. i can't recall having changed a texture without keeping the old one. that's why there are so many options in the addon because some people really like the darker high contrast ones while i personally like the more subtle stuff.

so there shouldn't be anything you miss out on from an older version if you use the newest version.

i guess i should update the first page. i mainly posted these sendspace links for foxhound so he can get the files and upload them to armaholic. with Enhanced Movement i sent him PMs to avoid this kind of confusion.

in short: use the armaholic version to make sure to be able to play MP.

Edited by Bad Benson

I was just checking-is this mod okay at the moment.I want to start using it,but you know how updates can break things :D and this thread seems to have gone quite.Perhaps because it is perfect and needs no more said about it?

It works perfect, try it.

Great-thanks mate.I'll grab it now :)

BaBe: are you planning to update the textures once the dust settles around the new visual system?

I really love this tweak of yours, but it doesn't seem right with the new lightning. 

Thanks man.

Edit: actually the lite looks quite good. But it's lite. :)

• Like 2

Got little problem with newest versions of game - terrain in about 150M from me is darker, and moving resoult making terrain getting brighter on this distance ( < 150M ). Specially noticeable with vehicles.

i'll take a look as soon as possible. thx for heads up.

Are you by any chance going to work with the mid range textures on Tanoa? They look really ugly to be honest you are the one that saved Altis for me , so I hope you can do something similar on Tanoa as well. And believe me I'm not the only one hoping for a miracle here :)

• Like 4

hm. yea i can do some experiments. thing is, while i appreciate the hype, i don't think a simple replacement of a single texture is a magic bullet to solve all the causes of arma distant terrain display being suboptimal. a big part of it is also proper sat texture treatment.

i don't want to be a party pooper though. i'll definately do some texture experiments with some of my old versions. honestly kind of wondering what is needed here. basically an updated version that includes Tanoa configs?

i also gave, i think it was sqb-sma, permission to use anything from this addon to create his own version. so i'm extending this to everyone too now. the more people messing with this the higher the likelihood to get that one texture that looks perfect for Tanoa, although that's pretty subjective.

anyways. remember this is one texture, so all old problems remain and i don't plan on banging my head against an indestructable wall trying to come up with stuff that should be done on the engine side. so for now i'll just make a simple Tanoa config for what i had, sicne i made a shitload of versions to choose from anyways.

might have to summon the mighty LordPrimate for the sigs and keys since my tools still hate me.

• Like 4

Nice of you bad benson! Anything will be an improvement over the current textures IMO at least.
I don't have the skills to help you but hopefully you can find one or two more lads that can assist your work.