bad benson

midrange terrain texture replacement

I think this is what NordKindchens suggestion will fix - so that we can have Bad Benson quality all over the island. Everyone should vote it up: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=4635

:)

OP

That's correct, this issue could be solved with logic maps for mid range textures, and that would be pretty darn awesome.

Hey Bad Benson - I am trying to alter the texture myself so I can make a mesh up with different mid range textures and show how my "sophisticated midrange system" would probably look like.

Therefore I will be placing soldiers in the editor and make screenshots on identical positions with different mid range textures and will create a mash up of the different versions via Photoshop.

Long story short - I need to make my own addon for that purpose. Sadly this doesnt go as easy as I thought. I am now 3 days in a row working on getting anything to work.

Since you have allready completed a mod I wanted to ask you for some advice.

If you could help me in any kind I would greatly appreciate it!

Greetings.

this is not the "make your own midrange addon -workshop" thread. as stated before and inside the readme. use the addon as you wish for personal use but don't modify my textures and don't release it with the same pbo name.

about your "question": all you did was tell me that you can't get it to work. so since i guess you don't expect me to do it for you i suggest you send me specific questions in a PM. in general i have to say. this addon is as easy as an addon can get. just unpbo it replace the texture and the path in the config. voila

Kinda harsh response, where did that come from? Do you have bad experiences with people stealing your stuff?

-snip- nvm......i'm not good at "PR" and i don't care about it. so yea i feel bad now...happy? ;)

Edited by Bad Benson

LOL guys. BB can do whate he likes. He has already opened the whole thing up. I'm sure there are (or will be!) other talented addon makers out there that can help NordKindchen.

Just to put that clear: I was not even aiming at releasing an addon based on BBs files.

I simply need to understand how to work with these and how to create own addons to better visualize my ideas for my "Sophisticated considerations on how to get rid of the blurry mid range textures"

When I am able to do my own texture addons I can create a 100% accurate rebuild of what my system would look like.

@Kremator: And its not "that easy" to get help from addon makers =/ I asked for help regarding particle editing two weeks ago. Do you think I got even one answer?(and thats not even the only unanswered topic I made regarding editing) Thats the reason why I now went for posting in topics that dont belong to editing even though I basically feel bad about doing so.

On the other hand: Yes Badbenson is absolutely right to do what he wants;)

Best regards

I think the thing to keep in mind is that BB created this addon and Nord created his thread/ticket because you both saw the same flaw and wanted to resolve it. You should help each other out to achieve the win. :)

Looks awesome. Arma 3 devs u f***** up again))))
trollololol infraction!! Bwahaha :) Be nice to the devs, boss!! They're doing some great things. I've already managed to utilize Arma 3 (Arma noob!!) to design some RL scenarios to train the boys in my platoon. For instance, reacting to an attack helicopter, prior they'd look at me like I had some genitalia growing out of my forehead when I'd ask them. BTW in RL, don't try to shoot the pilot, I promise you that 90% of the time the glass is bullet resistent. I need to figure out how to script that without breaking all windows into near invincibility, I don't want an enemy overwatch / target BOLO being impossible to kill in a house.

Back on topic, great job with the midrange textures! Most firefights are 100 - 300 meters, if farther you need to get into closer range asap to bridge any gap and prevent their use of danger close IDF and most hazardous of all, snipers while bounding. The greater the range, the easier it is for a Sniper to pick you off, the closer the range, the magnification of his scope requires much more movement to fire and by the time he has you partially lined up, you're behind cover or concealment. Remember that in MP, he's nearly useless in CQB.

For the record, this creates a fairly seamless environment where enemies actually blend in and are much harder to spot within the specified ranges. As they say in Russia СпаÑибо!! (Thank you!!)

****Edit: I feel I have to make a point of noting that I purchased a few copies to run guys through scenarios.

Edited by DavidLasher

This mod will need to be remade for when the next dev patch goes live, texture mods seem to be causing problems with the lighting.

confirmed... this addon causes the night sky to look like a "light bright" over exposed

using "babe_stratis_midtex_sharp2.pbo"

I have not tried any others.

-VRCRaptor

thank you guys for pointing that out. the reason for this is most likely that i use the whole stratis config which contains a lot of useless stuff. that also means that any update BI does on it will be overwritten by mine.

it's an easy fix though. i will update the addon very soon. probably in about an hour. thanks again for letting me know.

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

@Mods: excuse the double post. just making sure people see the update so i can get early feedback to avoid broken downloads or other issues.

ok i updated all files with a smaller config that only replaces the texture path. i also renamed the _1024 version to _orig2 to avoid confusion about the resolution of the textures (all versions should have the same resolution). please give me some feedback if the issue is fixed for you. i made a quick test at night and didn't notice anything weird.

download ---> http://www.sendspace.com/file/iz8n5o

thanks for the update! little feedback:

with strong version in addons folder I have no stars at all.

with sharp2 version in off folder all perfect.

hm. are you sure you have overwritten all files? i just checked again and the strong version has the exact same config as the others. maybe the starts thing isn't even related to my addon. all i do now is replace the texture path.

i also tested the strong pbo from the download link here and i have stars at night using it. no idea what else you are running but my addon doesn't seem to be the cause. please test again and report back. it might just be the alpha/dev build acting up. i use the dev build. are you using it too?

EDIT: ok. to be absolutely sure i just redownloaded the addon and ran it with the exact folder structure it provides (i just extracted it to my arma 3 folder). i have always stars and no lighting issues at all. please make sure you test with vanilla before reporting issues so i can be sure it's my addon causing the problem.

if you still have issues please report back. if not please do so too so i can put this to rest ;)

Edited by Bad Benson

completly mysterious......after restarting my pc I tried exactly the same.....and.....now it works. Sorry :-P

no problem at all. i really appreciate you testing it and reporting so quickly. stuff can get messy and i want to avoid providing downloads that are broken or don't solve the problem. so thanks again! glad it works for you too now;)

i have same problem with textures , but on developer beta edition seems to be fine

Affirmative BB, I have the new version and I can see the stars and not the "light bright" :) Great job and super fast response.

WORKS AWESOME!!!

-VRCRaptor

[DEV] version here...

i have same problem with textures , but on developer beta edition seems to be fine

dymo4 please use the update anyways since it has a much smaller config. as i said before the old version was using the whole stratis config from when i first released this. so all changes BIS made to the stratis config were overwritten by my config.

even if it works for you the way the addon was set up wasn't very optimal. i had it that way because it started as a personal test addon and i still use bigger configs to play with other settings of stratis. now it's much more fitting for a public release.

it will work fine with all future versions of the alpha unless BIS make drastic changes to the whole terrain texture system, which is unlikely.

dymo4 please use the update anyways since it has a much smaller config. as i said before the old version was using the whole stratis config from when i first released this. so all changes BIS made to the stratis config were overwritten by my config.

even if it works for you the way the addon was set up wasn't very optimal. i had it that way because it started as a personal test addon and i still use bigger configs to play with other settings of stratis. now it's much more fitting for a public release.

it will work fine with all future versions of the alpha unless BIS make drastic changes to the whole terrain texture system, which is unlikely.

Jeez, looking at the new (awful) night-time effect... I think we need someone to mod in a proper sky, lighting, bloom and fog colouring system. Everything looks graphically impressive, but the colours need so much work and this dev patch, well I thought it was a bug, but it seems to be official.

i think we shouldn't go too overboard on modding everything yet. they are constantly making changes. and i really trust them with lighting. i think getting too obsessive with certain "flaws" during alpha/beta isn't good. let's give them some time to find something they call final. let's not forget that we are in the testing phase. jumping the gun can make addons obsolete later which is never fun.

I am having problems with the server keys. Using the latest version (pbo, bisign and bikey), but the server still kicks me.

Does anyone else have problems?

ok. with the help of Predator.v2 i could solve the problem. so thanks to him for letting me use his server for testing.

this update contains new signatures and a new server key so it is relevant for admins AND clients. so everyone please update your files.

download ---> http://www.sendspace.com/file/jinfa1