Sign in to follow this  
jblackrupert

Thief 4: Yet another console port turd

DX:HR was announced in 2007 and ended up a true sequel(well actually a prequel) to DX1,they had 4 years to make it.Now if I'm not mistaken I think a new Thief was announced around 2009 or earlier.So they had plenty of time to work on it and I doubt the merger with Square managed to change the direction of the game at that stage.

I also quite remember that they said the same thing with DX:HR with the whole "cater to a bigger audience",us Dx fans were already preparing the pitchforks and when it was released it wasn't streamlined or derpefied at all.

Unlike the new QTE-heavy Tomb Raider made by Crystal Dynamics or the linear Hitman from IO last year,the devs working on Thief 4 are Eidos Montreal(same guys that worked on Dx:Hr) so I have some faith in them.

Personally I'm an optimist so I'll always have hopes a game will turn out well (until we see otherwise), except of course for the new Walking Dead game which was obvious from day one it was going to be a turkey!

It's wait and see, then. They did a good job with Thief 3 (which managed to keep the good atmosphere, had some excellent surprise moments, a great soundscape, etc.), so I'm not counting on a disappointment.

It's wait and see, then. They did a good job with Thief 3 (which managed to keep the good atmosphere, had some excellent surprise moments, a great soundscape, etc.), so I'm not counting on a disappointment.

Good job??.. it was blatant console port and the best way to get through the levels was to charge through them slashing with your sword and shooting arrows like a semi-auto gun.

Sneaking wasn't even nesseary at all.

Well I have to agree with Lenyoga with the only exception that Thief 3 engine sucked with it's small levels and loading times(heritage from DX2).Other than that it had great atmosphere(the sunken city,keeper hq,cradle etc) and the fact they made The City sandbox between missions was a great addition.Also I remember that the guards were indeed a bit stupid but caused you quite a lot of damage.

Oh yeah,this too::rotfl:

(after 0:30 is more visible)

Sneaking wasn't even nesseary at all.

Hm... I never tried any non-sneaking approach there... And well, yeah, the engine felt clumsy.

Thief: The Dark Project was the best of at times and influenced later games in the genre. Sadly many reincarnations seem to be just in favor of the insta-action crowd incl. auto-regenaration/heal, aimbots and x-ray vision (aka wallhack).

No one on the team of Thi4f had anything to do with Thief 3. Thief 3 devs = Thief 1 & 2 devs incl. lead designer Randy Smith and sound lead Eric Brosius.

They even have AssCreed "AI" programmer on Thi4f's AI. It's doomed.

And they have AssCreed Revelations dude on sound. It's even more doomed.

Judging by how many former AssCreed devs they got on key positions - it may mean Eidos is aiming at making an AssCreed clone.

It almost makes you wish that it wouldn't be so easy nowadays to develop for multiple platforms. I sincerely hope it'll be a good game but by the looks of it, I think I'm passing on this one when it comes out.

Well they can add all the derpy shit they like as long as proper gamers can turn it all off again! :)

Well they can add all the derpy shit they like as long as proper gamers can turn it all off again! :)

Yeah, just like with Hitman. I simply played on a high difficulty and turned hat instinct crap off, problem solved.

They released a Trailer, damn that guy has moves...

They released a Trailer, damn that guy has moves...

For some reason that comment reminds of this scene.

That was the worst tease ever...

That trailer is terrible as I am sure the 'finished' product will be :rolleyes:

Edited by BangTail

If it looks like that and plays like the first Thief game I would buy it. So I wont.

At least the trailer didnt have dupstep. Fearing the worst, but still cant wait to see how good it will be. Its not coming for old consoles which is a superb thing.

Yup, can't bear sure just because of a teaser like that but I'm guessing it's a press A to win asscreed knockoff. Quite sad indeed. :-/

I had quite high hopes for this one but after this recent news my hopes just got shot down.After the excellent DX:HR now I'm not worrying only about T4 but also what kind of abomination the next Deus Ex could be.:sad_o:

Thief IV new cgi trailer.

If it will be like Deus Ex:HR then I'll be content but still I have doubts they will make a console turd for Sunday players.

Story behind new Thief explained by one of the devs

BTW

I noticed a huge similarity of making trailers.

DXHR

Thief 4

Almost the same trailer. Similar story with riots in the background and the same music. I'd not be surprised if Michael McCann is standing behind the music in Thief 4.

So it does indeed pick up the thread the ending of Deadly Shadows left for us. Good to see that they're at least making some sort of connection to the previous games. And also, the story actually does make sense the way they've developed it to explain all the stylistic differences.