Sign in to follow this  
jblackrupert

Thief 4: Yet another console port turd

Thief is much much older than Dishonored.

Yah, the original Thief is much older than Dishonoured - we aren't talking about the original Thief here :rolleyes:

The original Thief (and Thief 2) are from a different time and are both classics.

And whether the new Thief was conceived before Dishonored or not makes no difference, Dishonored was first to market.

Thief 3 was a shitty dumbed down console port also.

It was much easier and faster to just run around attacking everyone with your sword in Thief 3

and the bow worked like a shotgun, you could kill people with ease from a meter away.

I liked Thief 3 "goes to hide".Sure I didn't liked that it was a port(the technical side) and had to stare at a loading screen every 20m,but the sandbox city where I broke into people homes and stole shiny things was very well done.The story imo was pretty good too with the whole Hag thing.

I actually missed some sort of sandbox in Thief 2 and was always wondering how nice will be to wander the streets of the city and just decide to brake into a random house or manor.

Thief 3 was a shitty dumbed down console port also.

It was much easier and faster to just run around attacking everyone with your sword in Thief 3

and the bow worked like a shotgun, you could kill people with ease from a meter away.

I didn't care much for T3 either, I'm hoping the new one is at least a little better than T3 (and I really don't have much hope tbh).

We will find out in fairly short order :D

Edited by BangTail

I've been looking at the new material now, and I have to admit that I enjoyed it more than I'd like to admit. The sound-design was good, the voice actor fits, the style is still boring-ew Victorian, but hey. Not really something in the Thief tradition, so I stand by my previous statement that they should have gone with an original name. Still, pessimism pays off, especially when things turn out better than my blackened soul would expect.

I've been looking at the new material now, and I have to admit that I enjoyed it more than I'd like to admit. The sound-design was good, the voice actor fits, the style is still boring-ew Victorian, but hey. Not really something in the Thief tradition, so I stand by my previous statement that they should have gone with an original name. Still, pessimism pays off, especially when things turn out better than my blackened soul would expect.

Same, looks better than I expected it would. My only real complaint is that it looks ridiculously easy, hopefully that was a sampling from a novice difficulty level.

If that video was representative of a 'hard' difficulty level, that won't be such good news.

That playthrough looked pretty enough, but that first encounter looked stupidly easy: douse the nearest fire then pick the pocket & sneak past as the guard stares at where the fire should be? I just seemed a bit meh to me. Maybe it was a fist encounter to introduce the gameplay... ?

Edited by DMarkwick

Again guys I wouldn´t believe anything they throw out pre release. Wait until some people have actually finished the game.

I liked the overall pace,the trailers before gave me a very negative vibe with too much action for this type of game.What I don't like is the new victorian influenced city though,the old one from Thief 1-3 was more mysterious and the different factions like the creepy Pagans or Hammerites added quite a lot to Thief world eeriness.

In other words,may the Builder smite them if this turns crap.

I liked the overall pace,the trailers before gave me a very negative vibe with too much action for this type of game.What I don't like is the new victorian influenced city though,the old one from Thief 1-3 was more mysterious and the different factions like the creepy Pagans or Hammerites added quite a lot to Thief world eeriness.

In other words,may the Builder smite them if this turns crap.

This times 1000.

Even if that was played on some super easy mode the whole Victorian city is just plain boring.

There was another video that hinted at zombies living under the city, no thanks.

Graphically it looks very good, not crysis or frostbite good though.

My impressions from the trailers would imply that this the game is detailed and meticulously produced, but uninspired for the most part. I don't care much for that swooping stealth roll that Garrett can apparently perform with great speed in any direction. I'll stick with The Dark Mod for now.

Some good parts,some bad parts and some in the middle.Can't say I'm 100% decided to put paper on it,apparently the city is very big and detailed but lacks character also the main story is weak but it has interesting side quests.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/24/thief-review/

Thinking the same... crappy story, bad script, but he seemed very enthusiastic about the gameplay and missions. I'm in the good position that neither me nor my system can afford/run that game. So, later in 2 to 3 years, when we know for sure if it's playable for Thief-fans, I'll start thinking about a purchase.

Take a look at this.

Might be a decent game after all

Total Biscuit is also a big COD player and likes Titanfall.

Other early reviews are saying it's just like Thief 3. faster and easier to go Rambo

there's someone who ripped through it in 6 hours and killed every single enemy.

Why do the games he might enjoy effect any merit for the review, did you watch the video or judge based upon those things?

He spoke of positive and negative things in the video, the game has its strengths and weaknesses.

Edited by NodUnit

Therefore his opinion is null and void. :j:

Other early reviews are saying it's just like Thief 3. faster and easier to go Rambo

there's someone who ripped through it in 6 hours and killed every single enemy.

So what?

Since I watched a few of his videos I can quite easily say where I disagree with him. Now If I watch a Review I listen to his critique and his arguments and compare them to my own piorities and to the stuff I see on screen. He makes really detailed reviews wich helps me to judge a game by comparing his critique and arguments to my own desires.

So what?

Since I watched a few of his videos I can quite easily say where I disagree with him. Now If I watch a Review I listen to his critique and his arguments and compare them to my own piorities and to the stuff I see on screen. He makes really detailed reviews wich helps me to judge a game by comparing his critique and arguments to my own desires.

Agreed, we shouldn't be judging people's opinions about one game based on the other games they play and whether we like them or not.

From what I have seen of TB, he is a fair and objective individual. I don't always agree with him, but he is very thorough in his analysis and honest in his critique.

I've played through 3 missions in Thief so far and I am enjoying it.

It is definitely not 'The Dark Project' but it is enjoyable in it's own right.

TotalBiscuit has a weakness for games with changeable FOV and lot's a options in Graphics/Video settings

even if the game sucks or takes a dump on a series he'll give it a pass so long as he gets to tinker in the settings

which is why he starts there in his videos.

Sorry but he likes it because it's dumbed down from the original since he admitted he hates sneakers

so the tiny maps and linear play won't bore him too easily.

Playthroughs show the enemies are easily wiped Rambo style just like Thief 3

reviews from veterans of Thief 1 and 2 all say it's the same crap thrown at us in Thief 3

and a heavy dose of trying hard to copy Dishonored.

The only positive reviews I see are from consolers and people who have never played the original thief

or like TotalBiscuit, tried it but hated it because it was too slow, tedious..etc.

reviews from veterans of Thief 1 and 2 all say it's the same crap thrown at us in Thief 3

As a Thief 1 and 2 veteran, I enjoyed Thief 3...

There are plenty of objectively written positive reviews - and from my own perspective, I loved Thief: TDP (one of my favorite games of all time) and I am enjoying this version just fine.

As I said before, it is certainly no Thief: The Dark Project (and isn't trying to be) but it is good fun and fairly challenging if you play it on 'Master'.

Therefore his opinion is null and void. :j:

I'm not saying his opinion is null and void, just it's not coming from someone who likes sneakers (by his own admission)

and he doesn't seem to care that the series has turned into a Dishonored copy. granted you can disable the special powers.

Total Biscuit's opinion of a game does get coloured by the settings menu, he's very forgiving when a game allows you to tinker

and has a FOV slider that goes up to at least 90.

The main reason I watch his videos is the fact that he starts in the settings menu first which is where every true PC gamer goes

before they do anything else.

Sidestrafe is someone who is pretty much on the same page as me when it comes to games

I got to play Thief for an hour, it's not bad really, it just ain't Thief, it's Dishonered.