Sign in to follow this  
oo para oo

Voice Acting has got to go.

I know some of the audio chatter is our very own Bohimia Creative Director but come on please tell me the voices are getting replaced by actors.

I strongly hope that Jay Crowe's voice will stay in. I loved PMC's Tanny :)

Pretty much this, I suppose:

Also

Meh, just like that fucking firing from the hip bullshit, modern warfare 2 and 3 made a number of phrases practically mind grating.

I love the new radio style, could be a bit less 'hoorah' but I can deal, I did however shoot my team mate in the head for saying oscar mike.

Edited by NodUnit

I like the new voices. Much better, plus, I guess you get a "calm" version (ideally) for walking when in safe mode, and whispering for stealth mode.

This is a serious improvement over arma 2 already, and MUCH superior to the minimalistic voicework in Arma and OFP. Also, this is just the very first instance, and they only started testing this set of voicethings a short while ago according to the twitters. Instead of immediately wanting to scrap it, rather help with refining it and pointing it in a better direction.

Like I said, three "sets", ie -Combat-, -Calm- and -Stealth- would be nice.

ARMA 3 voices are significant improvement, how soon we forget ARMA 2.

Soldier....... at......... 3'oclock........... 1500meters...........I..........AM......THE......ROBOT

This right here is what made me cringe for ArmA 2. ArmA 3's voice is a vast improvement. Although, I feel like some of the Showcase mission voices are WAY to excited. It's like they're yelling at them.

Voices are fine and not game breaking in my opinion. Even if voice acting was redone, I am sure some of us would find something against the new ones.

i dont get the problem? this is Arma, a millitary simulation game, not "voice of the year awards", get over it already xD it doesnt impact the game whatsoever

i have to agree that some of the voice acting is overdone a bit. sure it's an improvement but mostly in fluidity not style. i like the new emotion in it but it's a bit over the top. it needs to sound more like an average guy than a clichee soldier. like more monotone as opposed to the melodic overacting but with more of a subtle undertone of urgency like you can hear it in real combat radio recordings. i don't know how to describe it better. but it should sound like the soldier is trying to keep it military style (organized and short) but you should hear some underlying tension. maybe even some "uh" and "uhm" to make it sound less like it's read from a script. or even some cursing mixed in.

also four other things would improve it overall for me. i know it's a future setting and everyone probably has those neck mics but it would be cool to have the radio sounds in "lower quality" so it feels more like heard through a radio rather than good speakers/mics. maybe mix in some background noise or something.

and it would be nice to be able to disable some aspects of the radio chatter. so you could only have "urgent" and atmospheric stuff like "under fire!" or "grenade!". i know the whole spotting thing is a gameplay feature but i usually turn it off since it's just too much. so some kind of slider for the radio or some check boxes for different aspects would be nice.

the third thing is a little detail that would do a lot for immersion for me personally. it would be great if the units would move their mouth when they use the radio and in addition it would be nice if you would hear them like they are talking normally when you are very close and with radio effect when they are further. hearing them with radio effect and normal when close would be ideal.

and another detail would be a calm and a mid firefight version for every radio message. it hate to be prone and observing with my team and then hear that energetic radio talk when a stealthy calm voice would fit much better.

i totally realize that i'm overthinking this and that some features i suggested would mean a lot of work. just brain storming :p

Voice acting has got to go? No... why would anyone want the old robotic voices back? Improved voice acting however, is welcome.

Saying it's better than arma 2 is not really any sign of improvement. They are robotic but overly dramatized. Gets very annoying within about 2 min. I instantly mute, never to be used again. Waste of CPU power, total fail.

On a side note to make it sound more realistic, the sound designers need to clip each word tighter, you do this by shortening the waveform in a wave editor on each end (mostly the tail end) by using a a very short fade out. This will reduce the robotic feel (attack...that...rifleman) to (attackthatrifleman)

Overall its just good to be rid of the robot but do agree that some small distortions and some more high pass filtering to give it a slightly less clear and faint effect could go a long way.

I don't like the cheesy voice of the guy who's also in Carrier Command ("Mun down"), the others are OK. Improvement to A2 anyway. All in all a bit too strong breeze of Hollywood.

I hope the Iranian side has Iranian voice actors in Beta... strange hearing them have generic "American military" accents.

I'm not a fan of this voice actors voice, but I don't think he did a bad job, it could have been much worse... e.g. The beginning of ArmA2 "Trial By Fire"

if anything, "negat" needs to go. i can deal with the other somewhat cliché phrases but "negat" is just dumb. no one would say that :plain:

Jeremy Clarkson should be a voice over for a British solider :cool:

They are better than any other ARMA but they need to sound like they are coming over a radio. Love the beeps too.

"Clarkson Report in!"

"Some would say, there is a Man at 4'oclock. Others would say he's at 300 meters. All I know is, he's got the biggest gun I've ever seen..... in the world".

I like the improvements to the Radio Protocol and brevet. Sound much more natural. I even like the upgraded Voice acting for Narration-type Radio messages. On any individual level, I think the voice acting is pretty good. Where I think the problem lies is in the integration of the individual lines of dialogue into scripted exchanges. It's like each voice actor recorded all of their lines separately and on different days without the benefit of the other actors to essentially play off of. so what you end up getting is a stitch-work of dialogue being played together in what should be a seemless exchange of conversation ... but the voices are at different emotional tempo's and pitches. One guy sounds subdued, the other guy has too much excitement in his voice... a third guy sounds like he's experiencing a entirely different set of circumstances... When the actors deliver their lines, they are not adapting too and playing off the energy and emotional state of the other actor.

The only other thing that stands out of the Compass Indicator HUD that pops up when an AI gives a call out for a direction.... the AI use Cardinal Directions (North/South ect)... but the Como HUD is using a Clock display (12'oclock, 6'oclocke ect). So... during the Infantry Showcase an AI would call out "Enemy Man! West at 200m".... but I'd look up and see a Clock Direction..... so, is 3'oclock west?.... ect ect

Edited by Spamurai

Haven't got the alpha yet, but surely you can bring out a compass? Anyway, West would be 9 o'clock (unless the clock is more where the squad is heading, but let's not go there) Compass callouts are a major improvement as I hear from the videos

-OP

I don't know which specific role it is, but one of the guys you hear on the radio sounds like Johnny Bravo to my girlfriend hahaha. Every time she hears him she's like "that freakin Johnny Bravo trying to be a soldier" it's hilarious.

But I will say, compared to past Arma games the radio chatter is significantly improved. Much less robotic like.

Haven't got the alpha yet, but surely you can bring out a compass? Anyway, West would be 9 o'clock (unless the clock is more where the squad is heading, but let's not go there) Compass callouts are a major improvement as I hear from the videos

-OP

Yes. I hear what you are saying... the old protocol had the AI call out a clock position. The Como HUD was then intuitive and made more sense because the AI would say "Man at 1'oclock!" and you would look at the HUD and pan to "1'oclock" and there he was. Mixing the vocal cardinal direction with the visual clock position is less intuitive. Not to mention less accurate. 1'oclock is not "East" but not North.... and NE isn't precisely correct either.... Now the AI say "Man, 300m North!.... but he's not north he's at 1'oclock... 15 degrees to the right of "North".

Edited by Spamurai

...Duke Nukem...

If John St. John did all the voiceovers for Arma 3 I couldn't be happier.

Ballz of steel. :cool:

if anything, "negat" needs to go. i can deal with the other somewhat cliché phrases but "negat" is just dumb. no one would say that :plain:

Yolo, super serial, terribad, to name a bit of the stupid shit people sadly do say...haven't heard "negat" yet but I'll probably put a bullet through the AI's head at the time.