Sign in to follow this  
dunk

Advanced DX11 and PHYSX features

I doubt DX9-only GPU could even play Arma 3. As for super uber ultra features I hope they fix particle aliasing artifacts and add some blurring/dithering to shadows.

There is no point in keeping DirectX 9 support. The only reason would be Windows XP, but since most people have migrated to Windows 7 even that argument is not valid anymore.

DirectX 11 is newer and rebuilt for use on modern multicore systems, the newer Windows kernel and basically a code sweep of all legacy API's.

I doubt DX9-only GPU could even play Arma 3. As for super uber ultra features I hope they fix particle aliasing artifacts and add some blurring/dithering to shadows.

Arma II runs on DX9 cards.

Because A2 is Dx9, unlike A3 that wil be Dx11 only.

on dx9 exclusive cards? which ones? 8800 is the first dx10 card released. if you saing a2 runs ok on ati1850xt and or nvidia 7900 cards, then i want some of the shit you're on as well

DX11

11 is bigger than 9

That obviously means better performance in Arma 3!!!!!!!!!!

Could probably run at 5k resolution with a single dx11 GPU!!11

LOL

DirectX 11 is not some kind of magical thing that makes games run with better performance...or visuals...

DirectX 11 is not some kind of magical thing that makes games run with better performance...or visuals...

You're not invited to the DirectX 11 Party with that kind of attitude. That's to bad, we're giving out tessellation gift bags.

well, countrary to said, it actually does, in fact. as well as OpenGL 4.3 does, for reference.

generally i would welcome switching from purly-visuals-targeted Direct3D to DirectComput and OpenCL, respectively for anything, including graphics, itself.

boost in performance and scalability would be PHENOMENAL.

with little help of AVX 1.1 code, too.

In my age it was up to the application developers and how (well) they implemented the DirectX API into their code that determined performance and the graphical fidelity of screen output, but yeah - nowadays you just add some fancy acronym to your feature list and your software instantly turns into pure awesomeness.

/irony

In my age it was up to the application developers and how (well) they implemented the DirectX API into their code that determined performance and the graphical fidelity of screen output, but yeah - nowadays you just add some fancy acronym to your feature list and your software instantly turns into pure awesomeness.

/irony

yeah, true.

but thats not context/Subj, luckily :)

but quite opposite - "generalised "invent weel"-alike-features, streamlined/cleaned/generalised by you Operating system[and very probably software development tools too]supplier, boosted[bright side of dark decision;] by tighter OS intergration and heavily profiled/debuged/tuned for speed AND security" now become included in you new OS/API, shiny new !!".

jesus, i just invented/created new advertisement for Redmond :[

/me grabs cup of coffee, frustrated.

watch for WDDM 1.2/DirectX11.1 drivers/model impact on preformance, scalability, introduced in 12.8 drivers by AMD, aswell as Windows 8 support, recently for example.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/br259098.aspx

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=360237

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5630/indepth-with-the-windows-8-consumer-preview/14

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalystSoftwareSuiteVersion128ReleaseNotes.aspx

and there also WDDM 2.0 and WDDM 2.1 updates, long-awaited by Gamedev software developers.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/b/9/5b97017b-e28a-4bae-ba48-174cf47d23cd/PRI103_WH06.ppt

hope they won't delay much, cuz their development/devilvery severely bootlenecking gamedev advance on PC/Windows, presently, as stated by both Epic, CT teams and many rest famous gamedev gus, including WS, for example.

Edited by BasileyOne

Here's a little something about PhysX integration etc. that I found interesting : http://physxinfo.com/news/7165/getting-gpu-physx-effects-into-games-interview-with-nvidia-content-team/

(once again thanx to the Project Cars forums as their PhysX 3 move is a hot topic as well!)

any kind of propietary/locked-down/subs-standard things/monstrosities will matter NOT.

Only OpenCL/DirectCompute math ! only pure WIN !!! *waves UEF flag*

Here's a little something about PhysX integration etc. that I found interesting : http://physxinfo.com/news/7165/getting-gpu-physx-effects-into-games-interview-with-nvidia-content-team/

(once again thanx to the Project Cars forums as their PhysX 3 move is a hot topic as well!)

Most important part:

PhysXInfo.com: Users are often complaining that extra PhysX effects are not optimized properly for CPU execution (not using multiple cores, for example). What is the reason behind this?

David Schoemehl: This is a legacy issue regarding PhysX versions prior to 2.8.4. With proper setup it is possible to achieve some threading on PhysX 2.8.4, for instance running multiple cloth simulations in parallel. However, the overall threading performance issues have been addressed in PhysX 3, which is available today. With PhysX 3 we have improved the rigid body, clothing, and particle pipelines to take better advantage of multiple CPU cores.

Does anyone know of any other games that use version 3.x of the PhysX API, apart from Project Cars?

Most important part:

PhysXInfo.com: Users are often complaining that extra PhysX effects are not optimized properly for CPU execution (not using multiple cores, for example). What is the reason behind this?

David Schoemehl: This is a legacy issue regarding PhysX versions prior to 2.8.4. With proper setup it is possible to achieve some threading on PhysX 2.8.4, for instance running multiple cloth simulations in parallel. However, the overall threading performance issues have been addressed in PhysX 3, which is available today. With PhysX 3 we have improved the rigid body, clothing, and particle pipelines to take better advantage of multiple CPU cores.

Just couple days ago I've read somewhere that Nvidia deliberately cripples extended physX so that they can sell more of their GPU HW. Don't ask me where though, for the life of me I can't remember but I'm sure google can come up with something.

- Apart of pCARS ..no idea maddox ( Mass effect 2?)

I believe Planetside 2 also uses PhysX 3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX#PhysX_in_video_games

The number of games having "particle, fluid and debris detail simulation" in their respective "PhysX Effects" warms me from the inside. :p ArmA 3 is on the list, as is Planetside 2, which has "Gravity on players and bullets, weather, dynamic fog and clouds, vehicle simulation." in its "effects" description.

BIS, what are you hiding! (J*O*)J

Just couple days ago I've read somewhere that Nvidia deliberately cripples extended physX so that they can sell more of their GPU HW. Don't ask me where though, for the life of me I can't remember but I'm sure google can come up with something.

- Apart of pCARS ..no idea maddox ( Mass effect 2?)

they were not crippling it, just not making much of an effort to improve performance by using sse or something, just running the legacy x87 aegia code.

but physx 3 looks promising for cpu performance.

they were not crippling it, just not making much of an effort to improve performance by using sse or something, just running the legacy x87 aegia code.

but physx 3 looks promising for cpu performance.

you probably mistake Nvidia with Microsoft[DirectX binaries and system core "in general"] and Intel[iCC and related dev's stuff].

instead, Nvidia just normalised binaries, to they can run without issues on PC's without similar to examples above[enforcing IEE754 FP math on "unwanted" vendors CPU's], issues.

I found this gem, very detailed demonstrations of PhysX in VBS2, most of the vehicles tested have fully articulated suspension, http://www.myvideo.de/watch/5527428/VBS2_Humvee_aufladen In this demo, a Humvee is being forklifted onto a truck, then driven around the base. The added weight of the Humvee, requires the user to use more torque, which is simulated by the engine, tyres also leave deep tracks in the sand (could be a nothingburger, though).

More here: http://hx3.de/203341-beitrag163.html

YouTube version (different), classic ArmAverse civilian car being forklifted,

pmJlHPM1mKc

tS8mTRqHj40

Disregard the boxes, Humvee has full suspension, Stryker at the end of the video simulates independent shock absorbers, similar to Tatra truck. All of the above is from VBS2. Here's something you won't see there,

GebXTjMDh-o

This could become a logical conclusion -

(LAV-25 RL mobility trials, some with 4 out of 8 wheels missing) :)

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

3D Editor, physics goodness, loading an M1 onto a HEMTT platform, walking in transport helicopters - full freedom... watch your step,

CEAT8cMuhYY

HEMT truck confirmed for ArmA III. :)

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

There's a rule under which your post falls under, but I digress, enough "spamming" about features nobody gives a fuck about.

Enjoy the life in the 3D Editor and underground bunkers.