Sign in to follow this  
gonk

ARMA 2: OA beta build 87105

Cheerio Jedra - please confirm with a 1.59 beta build if reproducable ;) (Details in the ticket)

Edited by Sickboy

It's pointless to fantasize about the reasoning IMO (Why THIS, but not THAT).

It depends on several things, including how trivial it is to fix something, and how trivial the effects are of the fix/change to existing missions, and also severity etc.

Furthermore features for other games like TKOH/A3 could be merged back to A2 (or introduced in A2, for testing, in preparation for implementation in TKOH/A3), otherwise there's probably Mood and other concerns.

Implementing ground effect for aircraft was a straightforward uncomplicated work which took less then 1 hour including some basic testing, and there is little risk it could break something else, as the effect is quite isolated. Compared to this, fixing pathfinding issues tend to be difficult and complex, and it is easy to break something with the fix. Definitely not something to be done just before release if the issue is not really making the game completely unplayable.

Busy for too long in the plebeian task of improving MP, he had to create something new that sparked his interest

Yes, this also affects the decision. Developers are still - at least partially ;) - weak human beings. :)

Ah yes, the human angle, often thought to be non existent in "programmers" (which actually means Programming Machines... right?) :D

It's pointless to fantasize about the reasoning IMO (Why THIS, but not THAT).

It depends on several things, including how trivial it is to fix something, and how trivial the effects are of the fix/change to existing missions, and also severity etc.

Furthermore features for other games like TKOH/A3 could be merged back to A2 (or introduced in A2, for testing, in preparation for implementation in TKOH/A3), otherwise there's probably Mood and other concerns.

Yep, I figured that this inclusion had something to do with ToH and/or A3 testing, among other things. I tested flying the light heli and Apache in A2/OA and couldn't see any difference regarding the ground effect. Tried hovering with autohover on and off at <10m alt, and could see no profound ground effect. Haven't seen any issues with AI flying, either.

Gentle reminders about profound, long-standing issues are never pointless, even though none of us were even fantasizing about such AI pathfinding being addressed in 1.60. 1.61 perhaps? :)

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Definitely not something to be done just before release if the issue is not really making the game completely unplayable.

Amen.

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

Yes, this also affects the decision. Developers are still - at least partially ;) - weak human beings. :)

Butterflies rule. Sparkles of creativity like them are what put BIS games over the top for me.

As reported there is a problem with thw A10 also not landing at Utes and Chernarus at the larger runways but the short dirt strip to the North it was fine.

Seems to happen in the last three patches, I can't load patches older than 86873

Edited by F2k Sel

... and there is little risk it could break something else, as the effect is quite isolated.

From testing so far, it appears that the ground effect changes are well done and unlikely to have any deleterious effects, as they are subtle, and don't seem to effect AI.

So whats this new feature do exatcly...and yes I did read the link in the first post but I am still no better off hahahaha :P

+1 for BIS

great work

ps: did this change are include in 1.60 final or only for beta 1.61 ?

So whats this new feature do exatcly...and yes I did read the link in the first post but I am still no better off hahahaha :P

In a nutshell, ground effect translates to helicopters requiring less power to hover when close to the ground, and planes, specially those with low wings, seeing reduced drag, which increases lift, when close to the ground.

It's Suma! It has to be. :D

Btw. nice to see features like that making it into Arma2.

very impressed to see features like these in arma2.thanks to the culprit (the Scarlet Pimpernel of BIS)

:don 15:

While the ground effect implementation is very cool (assuming it doesn't break anything), it is surprising to some, not just Maruk, that it made it into a 1.60 beta when a fix for this vital issue:

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/25642

did not. Just sayin'...

I was only kidding really. Sorry if it was not clear enough. I am always happy for any such improvements in the game, planned or spontaneous (the later is more fun and often leads into even better results). It may not seem important, it definitelly was not planned, but still it is cool step towards realism (as are insects, animals, real star constellations).

Tomorrow, another beta with fix for A10 landing bug found, ground effect for helicopters will be improved to be more realistic (means stronger) than now.

And despite it is completely different (much more realistic) flight model, ground effect in Take On is also receiving treatment for the next patch.

Awww, what, we are not actually planning to strap him to a chair and punish him?? :D

Nice fixes, keep em coming ;-)

Seeing Devs going creative this Way is really nice. Nice Improvement! :)

And despite it is completely different (much more realistic) flight model, ground effect in Take On is also receiving treatment for the next patch.

Yeah - make it like the Arma one so I can actually sling load those bloody crates ;-)

I would be weary of making the ground effect stronger. The take on helicopters ground effect is extremely frustrating at times. I go bouncing up in the air and then lurching off center when I'm trying to land.

Also, the new autohover is awesome! It's great to not bounce around annoyingly.

Edited by WhiskeyTango

[87077] New: Ground effect computed for airplanes (0-10% depending on height)

[87075] New: Ground effect computed for helicopters (based on

Awesome!

/KC

I would be weary of making the ground effect stronger. The take on helicopters ground effect is extremely frustrating at times. I go bouncing up in the air and then lurching off center when I'm trying to land.

Also, the new autohover is awesome! It's great to not bounce around annoyingly.

At least ground effect is there in the form that a Helo settles at a given height now with the same power setting...thats good enough, also it provides a extra cushion for landing with analog input.

Really good idea to introduce the features from TKOH to arma. More realistic when I'm driving the helicopter, hope sometimes the drawdistance function in TKOH as well as its more detailed controling system can be introduced to arma too.

okay, here I wanna to talk something which has no relavation with ground effect. Still the simple first aid module, it works good except when I'm hurt but can still move around, ai will ignore me so I can't get the medic care until I was killed.

I was only kidding really. Sorry if it was not clear enough. I am always happy for any such improvements in the game, planned or spontaneous (the later is more fun and often leads into even better results). It may not seem important, it definitelly was not planned, but still it is cool step towards realism (as are insects, animals, real star constellations).

Tomorrow, another beta with fix for A10 landing bug found, ground effect for helicopters will be improved to be more realistic (means stronger) than now.

I knew you were just kidding. :) Your playfulness and enthusiasm for Suma's work were quite apparent (an enthusiasm shared by everyone in this thread, I'm sure). Even though a change may not seem important at first glance, if you and other BIS devs think something is important enough to include in a patch, then it is important, period. Most users (e.g. me) are unfortunately not privy to the big BIS picture, and often see things from a narrower, less informed, and more selfish perspective. After a year playing BIS games, reading these forums, and watching amazing new features and fixes continually roll out, I have learned that second-guessing BIS devs is most often a foolish waste of time. Unplanned, surprising new features are the best!

A special moment from Takistan MP a few months ago:

e43723163551941.jpg

Thanks for the upcoming fixes, especially the changes to the ToH ground effect. I think that focusing on that one issue for now will yield maximal flight model improvement and user satisfaction for minimum work.

Constellations? I think I heard them mentioned once, but haven't seen them. Are they in OA, ToH, or both? I want to check them out NOW! :D

Constellations? I think I heard them mentioned once, but haven't seen them. Are they in OA, ToH, or both? I want to check them out NOW! :D

Remember that mission in OpF where you gotta check out the pole star to find your way home...:D