Sign in to follow this  
Fanatic72

DLC for ArmA 3: A2 units

So because BIS have gone off the track with their crazy sci-fi units and equipment in this incredibly anticipated game. I wonder if they ever considered the possibilty to release a DLC containing all the regular armies from the present era that are in Arma 2 and arrowhead + dlcs.

The shame is that they know that all of us will buy ArmA 3 only for all the cool changes in engine. Because we all know that the awesome community this game has will make all that stuff again. Probably...

I think that putting away all those super nice models which do really exist and makes the real milsim isnt the right thing to do. Why should modders remake all those USMC, Army, Russian, British, Mercenary, Insurgent units themselves if BIS can do it much more easily and get paid for it?

What do you think about this idea of a decently priced DLC with all the A2 armies and weapons...(at least those that exist in RL)?? So we will have all this great realistic stuff made for A2 in the new shiny game. :yay:

If they made A2 content available to A3 via DLC, I would buy it.

I think there is already a topic who speak about dlc's if not refer to this topic.

Anyway, like MadDogX, I'll buy it for sure too.

Or even better a full size expansion (like Arrowhead) featuring the Green Sea conflict sequel set after PMC (something like 2014 if i'm not wrong)

Leave A2/OA imports to the community, let BIS concentrate on actually new content (and engine improvements) please :)

Edited by Sickboy

The shame is that they know that all of us will buy ArmA 3 only for all the cool changes in engine. Because we all know that the awesome community this game has will make all that stuff again. Probably...

First of all please don't generalize :). I am also buying ArmA 3 for the new content and setting. I am genuinely curious on BIS's approach of near future military gear. Ivan mentioned that they are thinking of adding eastern naval infantry. I could only guess that if added, they will be based on Russian naval infantry units. What protection gear will they be wearing? What camo pattern? What weapons will they be using? Same thing goes for the British special forces. Will they still be using today's gear? I doubt. :)

The new engine features and the new gameplay possibilities they bring are the most important thing for me, but the new unpredictable setting also has me quite excited.

What do you think about this idea of a decently priced DLC with all the A2 armies and weapons...(at least those that exist in RL)?? So we will have all this great realistic stuff made for A2 in the new shiny game. :yay:

I would yes, but I would much rather go for a pre World War 3 expansion pack, showing of the state of technology before the war. As we all know, technology advances much more faster during war time.

Edited by Maio

So because BIS have gone off the track with their crazy sci-fi units and equipment in this incredibly anticipated game.

Did i miss something ?

Not really. People are still upset about the near-future choice, and I'm sure they'll remain that way until release and beyond (I'm not one of them).

Please keep away these ideas. We should be able to put ArmA 2 addons into A3 without extra problems, not through DLC. I know we should support the company, but we will be buying their games, and if we need to pay more - I'd like to pay for some NEW content, not the one I already brought.

Leave A2/OA imports to the community, let BIS concentrate on actually new content (and engine improvements) please :)

this.

The community will be in warp speed once A3 is out, several hundreds of community members will spit out ready to use A2 content in A3 within a very short timeline after release.

And come on!! stop crying about sci fi!! it is near future, it has todays armor, some experimental helis no lasers or terminators have been confirmed....

We don't even know what all units and vehicles will be in the game. Already we do know:

There will be customizable uniforms. This means that you can model your character after almost any uniform in the world to simulate current military.

The MATV is one of the main vehicles already in the game. For those of you that don't know, the MATV has ALREADY replaced the HMMWV as the main armored vehicle for off base operations. So that is technically already current also.

Lets wait to see what they put in the game before saying that no modern current equipment will be there. I'm guessing you'll be able to make a 2011 style military with the tools already present in A3, and the things not present will be added or ported by modders.

I think A1 and A2 DLC content would sell :) isn't that enough incentive? (Not my opinion, but profit for small (relatively) amount of work.)

I'd like to pay for some NEW content, not the one I already brought.
Not everyone has bought the old content though, but still totally agreed :)

Yeah screw that, I say just make A2 addons compatible out of the box with A3. Plus I've already paid for the content myself.

Not everyone has bought the old content though, but still totally agreed :)

Not everyone has bought ArmA1 as well - somehow BIS didn't crash and burn when Kju did CAA1 - but people who did buy AA1 didn't feel ripped off

The idea behind this is to have those units reworked for A3. Everyone knows that ported units from older game arent the same quality. Thats what i would pay for cuz its basically new content on the same quality level as 2025 units from A3. Whats the matter if you had them in A2? I always wanted all of the older units in the newest engine. Im not asking anyone to make A2 units compatible...thats not the point of this. Besides Im sure they will be ;)

Where can I find A2 models (units, vehicles, and objects - complete set) that are fully updated to OA standards (IR map, backpacks etc)? Also, when was this made?

I believe it was mentioned somewhere that after the A3 release, BIS will release the majority of A2 MLODs for community use (a la what happened for A1).

I believe it was mentioned somewhere that after the A3 release, BIS will release the majority of A2 MLODs for community use (a la what happened for A1).

But ArmA 1 mlods came out 1 year before ArmA 2 - so am hoping to see them soon and not after A3 release :/

Edited by RobertHammer

This would be an interesting thing to read if there was a post you might of heard it from. Hopefully you'll find where you heard it from.

Do you remember if it was coming from a community member or BIS developer?

This would be an interesting thing to read if there was a post you might of heard it from. Hopefully you'll find where you heard it from.

I heard/read it too and it came from a dev.

agree. but also for BIS to hopefully provide timely know how to community on how to update old content to new standards.

agree. but also for BIS to hopefully provide timely know how to community on how to update old content to new standards.
I think thats covered well in the part 3 of Ivan interview (well one of the parts of the three).

Wednesday, 22 June 2011 00:00

Written by Marek Španěl

[...]Similarly, as with Arma 1 content, we are going to release Arma 2 content in source form to make it easy to create and distribute various user based addons for our games based on it.[...]

from Dev Blog

Edited by PuFu