Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

i'd rather see a unified way for people to donate. like having a paypal button on your steam profile where you publish your mods (if that is gonna be possible) or having a form of "credits" on steam that can easily transfered into money on paypal or something. or something similar on the upcoming profile pages on armaholic.

if they want to outsource DLCs then they should just do that in a proper way instead of something like this.

another "idea" would be making the process of modding as easy as in other engines by providing proper tools (and better documentation) so people won't feel like they're actually working so much because they're struggling with the lacking tools. :p

I will certainly never pay for a mod. Sorry guys, i like some of your mods (even though most of the time I never play with any) and I can appreciate the effort put into them, but this will just kill the community.

It is already painful enough to find mods and keep them up to date to join servers (because there are no auto downloading when we join a server). I don't see myself paying for the assle on top of that.

I like the idea of adding some kind of Donate button on steam though.

Edited by nicolasroger

HUAHUHAUHAUHAA i'm laughing

Marek Spanel, instead to gives to us a date when the game will be finished and fixed , puts in our eyes the dust called "a2 veichles"...... i was cheated one time 2 times is too

Edited by Zukov

1. User makes quality content in his/hers spare time

2. The community enjoys the content

3. BI compensates the user for the quality content

4. The user is motivated to create more content while keeping his/hers job

5. BI gets a happy community (as far as content availability goes)

Wonderful statement by maionaze. Now lets get back to the main topic.

HUAHUHAUHAUHAA i'm laughing

Marek Spanel, instead to gives to us a date when the game will be finished and fixed , puts in our eyes the dust called "a2 veichles"...... i was cheated one time 2 times is too

i'm serisoly geting tired of your negative posts everywhere, and not only i'm i guess. Maybe it's not much required, to get out, breath a fresh air or something, and calm abit down?

i'm serisoly geting tired of your negative posts everywhere, and not only i'm i guess. Maybe it's not much required, to get out, breath a fresh air or something, and calm abit down?

So I'm not the only one :|

I am looking forward to Monday though, even if there will be large data xfers, it will be interesting to see what the devs have been up to during the time leading up to release (when they had their arms tied behind their backs to stop pushing work through to release)...

I think I might be fine with that, I need more info.
Pretty much what I'm thinking -- it's one thing if BI ends up cutting a deal with certain addon makers for their work to become (creator-compensated) paid DLC, but at this point in time it doesn't even sound so thought-through-by-Maruk to even be evaluated, as opposed to just his own "what could be" musings.

i'm sorry but that already happened ... you just don't see such posts and users around as our great mod team take care of those who violate the BIF rules ...people who will thank you will thank youpeople who would like support you will send you the money, one way or anotherpeople who want to hate and rage will do that too anyway all this is now distant future i may happen this or that way so no point to lose hairs over it

My own personal opinion is that I don't mind paying a reasonable price for a well made addon / mod. Because I understand that someone has spend his time working hard and deserves it. But I do believe that like in the Apple's AppStore there should be a quality filter to decide which addons/mods deserve to be sold.

Obviously people are gonna criticize, and as customers I do believe that they have their right ( as long as they are educated ). I guess that everyone that has worked with people, understands that it's what should be expected.

On the other hand, I also remember when I was a teenager, and I didn't had much money. So maybe some of the most successful addons could be patronized by BI and offered for free.

What about mission makers who spend weeks if not months or years making playable content that do the game and potentially those paid addons justice?

Wouldn't it be fair that in order to enjoy top-grade paid vehicles and weapons you'd also pay for good missions that actually put them to use?

Of course, there's the pesky problem of multiplayer missions copying over to clients when they play it on a server, making it easy to spread a mission without paying for it. Not to mention that the clients wouldn't have to pay to play the mission, or...?

Well i think people would certainly pay for a good campaign right now thats for sure and i agree if a mission is 100% fully written and coded by the prson rewarded why not ?

of course mission writers have a problem where they must not make money from using addons maybe but thats semantics right now and i woudnt want to diffrentiate between a person making a campaign or MMO or similar type mission and wanting some reward as i believe they deserve it.

negative post? neurofunker please open the editor and put a T100 with crew...... the first glass MBT in the entire history. with a cartoon blast effect, no recoil, no turret ring, if you go prone and below you are able to shoot to the crew! monday will be fixed it?

if yes i become positive if no i will feel cheated

Edited by Zukov

As someone who was part of an addon that many people said they would pay for and even encouraged mid development to not release for free, I have to wonder if in a community such as this just how many problems that would cause.

How does one define the the holder of the addon exactly? Lets say addon A uses a few scripts from addon B with permission from its creator, do they split a percentage for services? What happens when user C uses user B's code WITHOUT permission and charges anyway. What happens where in cases of charity, you decide to donate your model to a project to someone whose not yet fully experienced or just for a time saver, does the original creator see any return for what is technically their work one way or another?

Who sets the standards for quality, is it by visuals, functionality, authenticity, performance, all of the above?

What is deemed as sellable and what is not? When you have a community that doesn't mess with models and textures a lone and ventures well beyond standard scripting of an aircraft you push into new territories that require even more serious thinking.

What about newcommers to the scene, will they feel even more discouraged to even bother creating something when they know it will not only be judged against others that are better but even worse when they by comparison get nothing for it?

Will there be some kind of user filtering system so we don't end up with a group of thieving bastards like this? (who blatantly stole the AH-64 cockpit from Operation Arrowhead)

http://www.pcaviator.com.au/store/images/D/0004%20-%20Area51_AH-64D_Apache_Longbow-01.jpg

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2010/06/arma-ii-operation-arrowhead-review/0.jpg

Now I'm not going to lie, having some form of compensation would certainly encourage me to take more time out of my day to make more things but this definately needs some serious consideration on how it would be done.

Edited by NodUnit

I think that any form of "common reward" is impossible except fully supporting donations. The community will fragment. But mainly because of tons of legal issues: scams, collaborations, conflict resolution, ... scams, scams again.

And beause nobody is going to pay for shitty content, to be clear. Nobody is going to pay for an addon that adds some fancy hats, not this community, maybe The Sims, but not this.

If BI has an initiative to keep some people "happy", well, it is easy: Choose the people or teams that you consider highly skilled and hire them as freelance to generate massive content of all kind, doing jobs that are not in the development timeline ... advanced medical system, grenades, porting content, making new assets, texturing.

Don't want to hire?, offer rewards to the mentioned people. Do you think that the creators of ACE deserve incentives?, then go on.

Maybe even they are already doing this for some time.

But please, please leave off the table any try to build an addon market.

Edited by VanZant

I don't like the idea of having to pay for mods. Especially if it means i would have to pay for a mod i don't necessarily want because servers are running it and without it i wouldn't be able to join. But basically if BI start allowing that then they need to step up their shit and provide a A LOT more content. Currently im not fussed with the amount of content in arma because i know there will be great mods made by the community to make the game better, if i had to start paying for that then i would expect much more from BI since the community makes up for arma's shortcomings.

Already hard enough to get people to download free addons, but now you have to convince people to buy them as well? (Lite versions will be REQUIRED in my opinion)

Indeed, this would very likely fragment the playerbase much worse than A2's addon handling.

What we need is for Modders to create all of VBS's wonderful feature in Arma 3 and then BIS to include that in the full game.

---------- Post added at 04:26 ---------- Previous post was at 04:25 ----------

Indeed, this would very likely fragment the playerbase much worse than A2's addon handling.

Indoubt it would be I that sense, Arma 2 forced the download of multiplayer compatibility patches for dlc. Arma 3 would likely do the same.

---------- Post added at 04:28 ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 ----------

I think that any form of "common reward" is impossible except fully supporting donations. The community will fragment. But mainly because of tons of legal issues: scams, collaborations, conflict resolution, ... scams, scams again.

And beause nobody is going to pay for shitty content, to be clear. Nobody is going to pay for an addon that adds some fancy hats, not this community, maybe The Sims, but not this.

If BI has an initiative to keep some people "happy", well, it is easy: Choose the people or teams that you consider highly skilled and hire them as freelance to generate massive content of all kind, doing jobs that are not in the development timeline ... advanced medical system, grenades, porting content, making new assets, texturing.

Don't want to hire?, offer rewards to the mentioned people. Do you think that the creators of ACE deserve incentives?, then go on.

Maybe even they are already doing this for some time.

But please, please leave off the table any try to build an addon market.

Don't forget large naval ships, aircraft carrier and large submarines which Modders are creating which can be driven on and walked on while another player is driving.

As someone who was part of an addon that many people said they would pay for and even encouraged mid development to not release for free, I have to wonder if in a community such as this just how many problems that would cause.

How does one define the the holder of the addon exactly? Lets say addon A uses a few scripts from addon B with permission from its creator, do they split a percentage for services? What happens when user C uses user B's code WITHOUT permission and charges anyway. What happens where in cases of charity, you decide to donate your model to a project to someone whose not yet fully experienced or just for a time saver, does the original creator see any return for what is technically their work one way or another?

Heck, what about the mods that are based on other IP:

Star Trek: Road to the Stars mod (A3)

Full Metal Panic Addon (A2)

Terminator T800 (A1)

I am not a lawyer, but assuming a 3rd party IP got monetized, wouldn't that open up BI for being sued by the original IP holder? Even the hint that they COULD be monetized might be enough for those companies to clamp down on it, and that's the last thing any of us wants.

I suspect that the IP issue is part of the reason why there's still no mod support for Steam Workshop as opposed to missions.

---------- Post added at 01:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

Don't forget large naval ships, aircraft carrier and large submarines which Modders are creating which can be driven on and walked on while another player is driving.
We're still not yet at that level though... the walkability part anyway. Gnat and mankyle at least managed to get helicopter landings to work, but driving a wheeled vehicle on a moving ship can be... inconsistent.

Thing is, I don't know how many people are willing to settle for "landable but not walkable"... :p

I suspect that the IP issue is part of the reason why there's still no mod support for Steam Workshop as opposed to missions.

Perhaps, although I think I read on Marek's Report In that he hoped to enable mod support in future... if so, then thank the lord. That would be amazing!

Thing is, I don't know how many people are willing to settle for "landable but not walkable"... :p

I already see something like "Why you no make it walkable if its already landable??? How hard can it be??? Grab your lazy ass and do it NAO!!!" Especially if this addon gonna be monetized one way or another.

Perhaps, although I think I read on Marek's Report In that he hoped to enable mod support in future... if so, then thank the lord. That would be amazing!
Ehhh, there were apparently technical issues as well preventing mod support at the time, but a CEO's hope is only that: hope.
I already see something like "Why you no make it walkable if its already landable??? How hard can it be??? Grab your lazy ass and do it NAO!!!" Especially if this addon gonna be monetized one way or another.
Pffft yeah... and admittedly I suspect that the continued lack of "proper" engine support for "walkable and landable while moving" -- and DnA and RiE probably not being naval fans -- is part of why there's no "big naval ships" in Arma 3 from BI. They already have so many complaints about Arma 3, can you imagine if they left in big ships (like USS Khe Sanh from Arma 2) and made them drivable but not walkable or landable? :p
I know Arma3 has it's future setting and all that, but I would have liked to see the content from the old games ported over. Seems a waste really, surely it wouldn't take too much work to polish them up a little and throw them in?
The thing is, the visual difference compared to the vanilla Arma 3 vehicles is really stark, even moreso when using All in Arma to view the Arma 2 vehicles in Arma 3; seems that as far as Maruk was concerned, it's such a gaping chasm of difference as to require a graphics overhaul as well or maybe even starting from scratch on the model.

negative post? neurofunker please open the editor and put a T100 with crew...... the first glass MBT in the entire history. with a cartoon blast effect, no recoil, no turret ring, if you go prone and below you are able to shoot to the crew! monday will be fixed it?

if yes i become positive if no i will feel cheated

yes, they will fix it, happy?

the faith that you have on BIS is amazing ;)

Is there a reason NOT to have it? Did you play alpha version? Did you play arma 2 from release day?

yes both and armed assault too, but never i enjoyed in the MP, and often i play with BF2

yes both and armed assault too, but never i enjoyed in the MP, and often i play with BF2

Then go back to BF and leave us guy's that actually like all the Arma series to get on with it, god I'm sick of people complaining, try helping instead, (IT'S A GAME).

There, I said it, Feel so much better now... :)

Edited by pillpopper123