Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Nope. Either you're for or against BIS's decision...... it really is that simple. Time is the factor. Patients is the key element.

That is a matter of opinion, not of education. Claiming you are educating the masses is just a delusion.

Stop acting like you know people. No, I dont "know that arma3 is a great milsim", arma3 is not even close to being a milsim in this current state. Even the devs themselfes deny that its a milsim, and with all the simplifying going on I dont consider this a worthy arma sequel (in this state), again I dont give a shit about your "gorgeous island" if other game elements are not finished or simplified (especcially since some of them are gamebreakers to me and many others). With patient for 3 years I mean all the negative things that happened to the development of arma3, first release date being delayed, then silence from the devs for about half of 2012 then all the axed/simplified features, now campaign and other content being delayed/split into DLCs. With patience I dont mean that we had to wait 3 years till we can get our hands on arma3, I mean patience till we lose our optimism.

BlaBlabla...

When we see all the games who don't have beta, the boring free to play, we can't really rage against Arma series. It's not perfect ok, but it's better than to have only Battlefield :)

When we see the massacre of CodeMasters with the original Operation Flashpoint ...

After, Dev's were serious and when he spoke about the delay of that and that, i think that was normal, just to see our opinions and have Blablabla... comments.

For all the players who love sim, sorry we are so less in compare to all players who plays MMO, sports and cars, for this reason, if BI lost players with the new accessibility why not but a bagback don't save you when you are a noob, you died, died and died vs the other players and that, whatever the game, that's not change :)

Why does one need to have a facebook account to be able to see the Arma3 page? Isn't this supposed to be advertising?

Why does one need to have a facebook account to be able to see the Arma3 page? Isn't this supposed to be advertising?
There is nothing to see anyway, I just wanted to post the release date.

Oh and by the way, there will be another livestream this Saturday, August 10 - 17:00 UTC

Live from Bohemia Interactive HQ, the Arma 3 devteam welcomes you to their next livestream hangout. As our splendid Alpha and Beta development journey is slowly coming to an end, this official broadcast presents a sneak peek at Arma 3's release package - and kick-starts the countdown to launch!

http://www.twitch.tv/arma3official

https://www.facebook.com/events/280398018769881/

Nope. Either you're for or against BIS's decision...... it really is that simple. Time is the factor. Patients is the key element.

From a former mindless fanboi . . . now retired mindless fanboi I agree with you on that . . . it is really simple.

I stopped supporting BIS the moment the Steam exclusive distribution was announced.

Patience is a virtue but she won't always wait. I would have expected that AI issues dating back from OFP times would get addressed. AI driving - AI shooting rockets on infantry and so on. You know how many years have gone by?

BIS went from 2001 OFP CWC release + 30 mission campaign to ArmA 3 no campaign at release date.

I'm not discussing the reasons what had let to that decision. I'm stating simply a fact here.

A general trend in gaming has become "less content for money". IMO BIS is no exception anymore.

Also, you realize that the company went through hell over the past year and you want to give them a chance.....right?

Let me tell you what . . . If I would have been responsable for scrapping a project after 2 years in development and start nearly from scratch. My boss would get my ass fired in a Detroit second. The fact that you scrape something means that you have not a clear vision of what you are supposed to do. You do not stop development due to 2 members going missing for months due to an unfortunate circumstance. You tap the situation and keep going on with the project.

In my opinion . . . bad decisions have been taken and releasing the game in the current status is really questionable at least. BIS has set their deadlines of the release and they are willing to release an "unfinished" game?

Well I don't support that. :rolleyes:

That "arbitrary label" is what some people use as an indication as to when it is safe to buy. (...)

A: Note that I was talking specifically about how the beta / official release affects us, as in the people who have (mostly) already bought the game. Not about potential buyers or reviewers.

B: I also explicitly said objective difference.

I'll ignore the rest of the post because it completely missed my point, and I'm also not particularly keen on participating in this hostile discussion.

I think you're falling into the same trap I fell into...and that so many others have on this board: "Your Expectation's Are Way Too High." We need to re-read what Joris wrote and how the company has gone through a meat grinder over the past year....and we must remember how complicated this Mil Sim really is in the end. Also, I'm still holding out hope that they will put more stuff (weapons, vehicles, etc) in the game in the near future.

As for expectations, many are unrealistic ........ and by a lot of people around here (Opinion = Perspective and is Subjective). Many gamer's (like myself) were hoping for something like the following: "I want a stealth fighter with Complicated Weapons Radar / Weather Radar. I want that plane to be undetected by Radar on the ground. BTW, I want Radar on the ground. Also, I want Lasers shooting down from Planes and Satellites. Also, I want Super Weapons of the future that use sonic sound waves to bust the AI's eardrums and cause their eyes to bleed..... all you have to do is send an AC 130 (or something new like it) over the battlefield with super sonic sound-waves coming out of some super secret starting point that will descend upon the AI and break their eardrums and cause their eyes to bleed. Oh, and how about an invisible uniform that goes undetected by the human eye. Come on BIS....get with the program." Nope, it ain't gonna happen.

If you read what Joris and Jay said the other day on one of the PC magazines websites (can't remember which one): Altis is the new flash point between a 'FAILING Economic' West v. an Aggressive East. It doesn't sound like the West (NATO) is putting a whole lot of investment in Altis, so maybe that is why we won't see to many "Super Secret" weapons at the start of the campaign.

Finally: What do you think those 70 dev's have been doing for the past 3 years? Goofing Off? No way. They have been working their butts off to give us Altis......lets reserve judgement until FINAL RELEASE.

So, your logic is that my expectation of a campaign that was talked up and a few more assets that were shown in the context of Arma 3 and "IN GAME" screenshots in addition to what is currently listed is unrealistic? Please.

I don't need to reread what they wrote, I told you what's going to be written there before they wrote it. I understand it, it does not mean I have to jump and praise them for saying that they will deliver something that was expected from final at some later date.

And please, stop painting people as "BI heretics" the moment some valid criticism is applied. Supporting someone goes beyond telling them "Yes dear, you did a good thing, keep up" no matter what they do. As a part of this 12 year long rollercoaster that's been BI forums, I think you can ease off your rhetoric.

GrgJiOY.jpg

Edit: I think I'm going to make myself a shirt to wear out of that. ^_^

Edited by Sniperwolf572

It is still worth waiting for further intel :icon_twisted:

SITREP for this week was replaced by the campaign blog - next week's will have quite some information, including statements on post-release content (e.g. fixed-wing status).

Yeah but at this point it looks like we will get planes (and other content maybe) post release, campaign post release, ToH flight model post release, Java post release, weapon resting/mantling/collisions post release, weapon bipods/tripods and similar adjustable parts post release, shooting from vehicles post release, MP GUI redesign and MP improvements post release (theres a chance some of this might appear before release) and basicly all other "axed features". These are all (not all, some are just features that we have been begging for for 10 years nothing special) stuff that got axed and they basicly said there might be a chance that these show up somewhere after release date.. I mean come on.. I personally dont believe they will pull that off, and even if they do it will probably show up in a paid DLC (I dont see how they can spend months working on all this for free) while most of this stuff was meant to be in vanilla (*note I said most, not all).

That is simply too much maybe. I guess not even half if that list will be made...

A: Note that I was talking specifically about how the beta / official release affects us, as in the people who have (mostly) already bought the game. Not about potential buyers or reviewers.

B: I also explicitly said objective difference.

I thought I said that? It affects us since the game legally gets out of beta status into release state, and anything after that point is post-release support. That also means that it is "optional" whether the game is patched/supported after that, so yes, I do think this quite positively affects us.

I'll ignore the rest of the post because it completely missed my point, and I'm also not particularly keen on participating in this hostile discussion.

I am not hostile, I am critical. That is quite a bit of difference.

ok. now you really lost me. let's not get too "tin foil hat" about it. i'm pretty sure the long developement time cost a lot of money, no matter who's fault it is, that it took so long.

There's nothing tin foil hat about it. BIS wanted us to find bugs in a version of a game that is buggy and lacks most of the content, thus they must give people incentive to do this and 50% price drop is what it was. If it was full price a lot less people would've done it.

When we see all the games who don't have beta, the boring free to play, we can't really rage against Arma series. It's not perfect ok, but it's better than to have only Battlefield :)

Sure you can say that - if all games you know apart from ArmA3 is Battlefield and free to play.

But thankfully the gaming is not that narrow and plus we also have ArmA2 Combined Operations which thus far is a superior game in almost every way.

Just because they release the Final, this does not mean that it is going to be "Golden" in your eyes....it's going to be a WIP for several months....

Final means there will be no changes gameplay-wise and bugs are not the problem with ArmA3. It's simplified and axed features that are. Past release date changing loadouts, changing AI, changing medic system WILL break the campaign and all missions that BIS has done thus far. You can repeat this mantra "give them more time" but I've heard it since alpha and it is never true.

Edited by metalcraze

35 days to go! Launch is September 12, with a livestream this Saturday at 5 pm / 1700 UTC. :)

Dare I say it, but with only 35 days left in ArmA 3's development I'm actually kinda worried a little... :confused:

There are still tons of bugs/issues to be fixed, and compared to the rate of which work seems to get done this is clearly a "rushed" release IMHO.

BI has really step'd up their QA game for A3, but you're still not up to par yet guys! I really appreciate the improvement/efforts made though BI! ;)

*The SP Campaign being incremental future DLC decision = A new industry low! (I'm really disappoint with this son!)*

^Sadly it's something that is bound to become a new industry trend :(

The fact that you scrape something means that you have not a clear vision of what you are supposed to do.

We've tried to make clear in the blog; the project was indeed going in a very different direction to being with; in many ways, it was quite experimental.

A change was made, and Arma 3 ended up with new project leadership, alongside a new sandbox design lead, playable content lead, audio lead, two new programming leads, mastering lead, and marketing communications lead. Perhaps more importantly, the rest of the team doubled in size, adding many great new designers, programmers and more.

The project pivoted towards what we would expect from an Arma sequel. It was during this period of transition that several unexpected external events also hit us, which, as we've in the past explained, made the situation much more difficult. But now the studios are unified is pursuing one singular vision of Arma 3 and the team's long, hard work has resulted in a consistently positive reception in the alpha and beta testing phases. No, not everything is perfect, no, not everything that everyone would like will make it into the launch, but, most certainly yes, the team is in a strong position to deliver Arma 3 now and support it in the future. I see team members busting their arses daily to get things right.

We believe the Arma 3 launch is - set beside comparable products out there - a huge and rewarding package of content together with a legitimate set of engine advancements. Due to the Arma 3 Alpha and Beta, with your support, the game will be our most solid release, by far, and we're committed to supporting the platform long term. Next week, Joris will make further announcements and clarifications about our future content plans, which answer some of the outstanding questions.

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile

Is it possible that the info on how ArmA3 originally was planned to be will be revealed someday?

Just to compare the vision back then and now.

Is it possible that the info on how ArmA3 originally was planned to be will be revealed someday?

Just to compare the vision back then and now.

Ah, metalcraze with a non-abusive post! :P j/k

I too would love to see this, as I'm rather intrigued by what it was before that appears so radical in change.

Next week, Joris will make further announcements and clarifications about our future content plans, which answer some of the outstanding questions.

Looking forward to this.

I too would love to see this, as I'm rather intrigued by what it was before that appears so radical in change.

This +1.

Edited by -Ghost-TF

~ Good Stuff ~

I read what you have written and in all honesty (and I think I am saying this for the majority of the community, please do not think I am be presumptuous) we think that what you have done with the game and the new iteration being A3 is simply beautiful.

None of us have any issues with the quality of the game (apart from the AI but I know that that is getting a lot of loving). The lighting engine, animations, sounds and overall graphically the game is wonderful. Such a step up from A2.

The only thing and by god it is a big thing that the community are extremely pissed off about is the lack of content. This includes vehicles, objects, weapons and last but not least the campaign. I will not mention the campaign again because BIS has explained the whys and what fors regarding this.

Maybe we were spoilt with the amount of content that was in A2 / A2 OA etc but for me A3 is missing a massive amount of object material. If the game had (or someone promises it will have in the future) the same or near enough the same amount of content as in previous games I think a lot of the community would be a hell of a lot happier.

Maybe we were spoilt with the amount of content that was in A2 / A2 OA etc but for me A3 is missing a massive amount of object material. If the game had (or someone promises it will have in the future) the same or near enough the same amount of content as in previous games I think a lot of the community would be a hell of a lot happier.

Agreed. While I don't think the game in its present state (or the state announced on the countdown page) is in any way "final," MDX is correct that it effectively is an arbitrary label and I for one would be quite happy if content plans were announced to bring it up to par with previous games. (I'd then consider the "release" to be a content pack for the beta, and consider the content package to be the actual "release.")

We've tried to make clear in the blog; the project was indeed going in a very different direction to being with; in many ways, it was quite experimental.

snip

I maybe "we?" Understand that. I frankly don't care about your reasoning's. I simply express my disappointments and things that make me happy. I do not care what comparable products are out there. I only care about arma. The only reason I support and will hopefully continue supporting the company is because I have some modicum of faith in the company and faith in the community. To be extremely clear, I would consider myself a educated consumer. The things you have pulled, that I have witnessed happening are not things I want to become the norm. These are things I would have abandoned most other companies long ago for. Ive abandoned other companies for less. As it stands you are among the lasts that I am willing to put up with. I get it I'm only one person and you most likely dont care either.