Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Just noticed a little detail in the stratis trailer, isn't the diver in the underwater scene swimming a bit too fast?

it was like that in the older E3 footage. Probably hasn't been updated much since then.

With it being circa 2035 perhaps advances in diving gear like flippers allow this sort of speed to be achieved. Either that or it is just waiting to be altered by BIS.

This is due to gameplay reasons. :)

Since the travelling distances are huge, it would be a real pain if sprinting/diving would be at true-to-life speeds.

Since the travelling distances are huge, it would be a real pain if sprinting/diving would be at true-to-life speeds.

I'd rather swim realistically and not like a dolphin :q:

i disagree.

if travelling distances are too far, you can always use a vehicle. Sprinting @ 30km/h is not something i find funny, neither is jogging @ around 20..

20km/h is jogging for you? Damn, I must get in shape... :p

IIRC 21km/h was the running speed in OFP (26 max sprint i think) and noone ever complained about that. Dont know about the ArmA speeds, though probably similar. Its not exactly realistic, but it works fine.

Was comparing to my real life (in)capabilities :) When I jog on a threadmill I'm typically only doing 10-12km/h (and not for long, lol). Game speeds are pretty decent as they are now. I would not want them to reflect my own real life speeds.

IIRC 21km/h was the running speed in OFP (26 max sprint i think) and noone ever complained about that. Dont know about the ArmA speeds, though probably similar. Its not exactly realistic, but it works fine.

Yeah, the values are more or less the same.

Thing is, there are ppl who are complaining about scale, or how you actually feel the scale of A2. If it feel smaller that it should, part of the reason is the average speed of your avatar, which is far higher than the RL average.

Was comparing to my real life (in)capabilities :) When I jog on a threadmill I'm typically only doing 10-12km/h (and not for long, lol). Game speeds are pretty decent as they are now. I would not want them to reflect my own real life speeds.

he he, i don't like treadmills, i usually run in the open, i find it a lot more relaxing for me. Plus, i've been trying to get me back into shape recently by ridding my bike instead of using the car on a daily basis, i average around 30-35 kms per day (going to work and back and everything in-between).

Yeah i dont really know why i quoted you, since it wasnt really aimed at you anyway. :p

Yeah, the values are more or less the same.

Thing is, there are ppl who are complaining about scale, or how you actually feel the scale of A2. If it feel smaller that it should, part of the reason is the average speed of your avatar, which is far higher than the RL average.

Another reason is the scale of the maps. For example, on the TOH maps, you won´t go anywhere on foot. Even driving at 80 kph will take you ages to cover ground. Meanwhile, on the arma and OA maps, you can basically walk from A to B no problem. The average running speeds are world class level, and I think they´re okay. OF:DR actually implemented realistic running speeds (4-5kph walk and 15 ish kph run) and it felt -way- too slow. Most arcade shooters have running speeds of 30 kph +. Someone did a calculation in a gaming mag around 2004 I believe, and he calculated that in early fps´s like doom the avatar was doing from 40 to nearly 70 kph.

So in the light of that, despite their astounding performance, the speed of the arma 2 avatars is alright, in my humble opinions :>

Another reason is the scale of the maps. For example, on the TOH maps, you won´t go anywhere on foot. Even driving at 80 kph will take you ages to cover ground. Meanwhile, on the arma and OA maps, you can basically walk from A to B no problem. The average running speeds are world class level, and I think they´re okay. OF:DR actually implemented realistic running speeds (4-5kph walk and 15 ish kph run) and it felt -way- too slow. Most arcade shooters have running speeds of 30 kph +. Someone did a calculation in a gaming mag around 2004 I believe, and he calculated that in early fps´s like doom the avatar was doing from 40 to nearly 70 kph.

So in the light of that, despite their astounding performance, the speed of the arma 2 avatars is alright, in my humble opinions :>

this is very well expressed. but i believe that arma2 does lose a feeling of immersion in landscape and suffers from toy soldier type of syndrome cause of the excessively fast run and walk speeds. vehicles are key to moving large distances but their usefulness is lessened hugely if we have Unreal type speeds in arma2. in fact i now use the TKOH rearmed exclusively for my arma2 fix as i can get huge realistic engagement distances with a sense of being in a big landscape that needs preplanning.

We will get a new info and gameplay I hope, in the next week, concretely on 5.5 in Czech Television series "GAME PAGE".

If you want to get it ASAP, check this website on 5.5. - 12:50 of CET (GMT +1) time.

Getting close now, does anyone have any more info about this, I can't find anything on the website.

Getting close now, does anyone have any more info about this, I can't find anything on the website.

Patience lad. They'll upload the episode immediately after television broadcast and you'll find it in "Videoarchiv" section on the site.

Patience lad. They'll upload the episode immediately after television broadcast and you'll find it in "Videoarchiv" section on the site.

Thanks. I don't want to get my hopes up but it would be great if they have some new info or screenshots or video or something, anything.

Like one small bottle of "Export Ouzo" for Alpha testers and a crate of "Finest Czech Premium Beer" for those who will find OFP/CWA bugs/"features"? :cool:

Found by BoboCz in this article, here are some new Arma 3 screenshots:

Nr1

Nr2

Nr3

I will edit this post with new stuff from the interview. (Reading atm^^)

Edited by PurePassion

A Merlin with an open ramp. The possibilities...

Found by BoboCz in this article, here are some new Arma 3 screenshots:

Nr1

Nr2

Nr3

I will edit this post with new stuff from the interview. (Reading atm^^)

Yeah post the highlights here, please.

Cheers PP

Yeah the Merlin with open ramp makes my mouth water.

Imagine HALO jumps by actually walking off the ramp of a c 130 *drools*

Stop embarrassing me BIS! :D

God i cant wait for E3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Allow me to be the fun police and say that the open ramp could very well be just a design choice, like the open ramp of the Chinook in Arrowhead.

>See Merlin with open ramp

>Assume that you can walk in vehicles now

>Community logic

BAF had open Merlin ramps via scripting. Nothin new here.