Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Yep, everything seems nearly perfect, but..... the underwater part is a bit "unrealistic". The scene is missing cavitation and air bubbles. The Mk 8 is just floating around without interaction with the water.

Example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation

+1 for that! Tough I can imagine it might be one of the things that follows a bit later. But you have to be careful because the SDV is specifically designed to not emit too much bubbles and cavitation. Some subtle particles here and there would be perfect.

and +1 for the scopes. The broad use of RtT sources (2 in the SDV, 5 in the M-ATV etc) suggests the performance impact has been somewhat improved. If that's the case, 3D scopes à la RO2 would be splendid and very 2012! :D

Edited by PurePassion

Don't want to come across as a rivet counter but watching that girl running into the water made me realise why the civilian unarmd run looks so strange. One thing is that most people tend to run with shortened arms with the elbow flexed closer to 90 degree angle and hand semi closed while these arms are almost extended with flat palm facing backwards. More so then that - her forearms and hands are huge!! Freeze it 0:49 and you'll see almost orangutan like limbs lookin at you :p

Yep, everything seems nearly perfect, but..... the underwater part is a bit "unrealistic". The scene is missing cavitation and air bubbles. The Mk 8 is just floating around without interaction with the water.

Example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation

I have never been scuba diving before so I don't know anything about cavitation but in the diver propulsion videos on youtube there is no cavitation bubbles

koXb_BSmONg&feature=relmfu

Well there is not so much of ingame interaction to see and some parts like walking/running bikini girl still look ermmm.... unrealistic + clunky. Btw aren't modern/future submarines/SDVs equipped with something like photonic/optronic mast? As for weapon scope views there is yet to find a good solution for a pc game/screen - focusing on a target through a telescopic sight with high magnification wont show you crystal clear view on other things (around the scope).

That Bikini Girl uses old arma 2 running animations if you guys not noticed :D

I hope the running animation is an old one, because I don't see any difference between it and what ARMA 2 had.

I hope so too. We will see.

That Bikini Girl uses old arma 2 running animations if you guys not noticed :D

Actually, that's not the old animations. In the old animations, the arms were straight, and the running was jagged, almost robot-like. What we're seeing are the new unnarmed animations. Not to mention the walking animation there is also new.

very ugly animations.chapped soldiers. the transition between animations is still robotics

very ugly animations.chapped soldiers. the transition between animations is still robotics

its clearly not finished...

its clearly not finished...

Yep, its just alpha. Planty of things can change.

Actually, that's not the old animations. In the old animations, the arms were straight, and the running was jagged, almost robot-like. What we're seeing are the new unnarmed animations. Not to mention the walking animation there is also new.

Are you really sure about that? i see the arma 2 animations on that girl - try in arma2 , run with woman and walk - exact same

Lets hope its not finished. The animations are not better then the ones in Arma2. On the other side the island looks very nice and much more detailed ground textures from high above.

Yep, its just alpha. Planty of things can change.

its the fact some people dont think of that annoys me...."OMG sounds are the same! they run the same!"... can you not see that the game is still being made?

So in ArmA3 the headbobbing is like in ArmA1? That's disappointing. In ArmA2 it felt real, now it seems like soldier jumps up and down as he runs all over again.

The rest in that new video is cool though (also are those sharks?). But damn it stutters as hell.

That girl gave me creeps.... holy cow! One more of those ETs that have been shoot previously? :rolleyes:

Transitions between animations still look to abrupt - hope thats not final.

You guys pointed at increased shadow draw distance (Couldn´t see it, low res video don´t help for such thing); Didn´t look so in the "scope" section of the video. But that may be the game configuration, ingame time setting or those little walls were to far away.

Mouse scroll menus are still there! :eek:

@periscope: is that a "locked" view that we need so much for UAVs and stuff? Hope so.

@terrain: Underwater seems very detailed and irregular = improved grid maps, so we can have huge maps with that "micro terrain" setting without a huge performace loss?

Other than that, the game really looks fabolous. Those parts with the Mi-48 looks incredible.

Are you really sure about that? i see the arma 2 animations on that girl - try in arma2 , run with woman and walk - exact same

Naw, not the exact same. It's really similar, but not exactly the same. The running in ArmA2 is more like a damsel in distress kinda of run. The elbows are tucked in more. The hands cross the body. In the animations we see in this video, the elbows are away from the body, and yet the hands don't cross the chest as much. This run is much more like a runner than the animations in ArmA2. They are similar, but these animations in this video are definitely new. And, yeah, I did just run and walk around with a woman character in ArmA2. But, I actually don't think the ArmA2 female animations were that bad. It's the male animations that are terrible.

As promised, here is the youtube video :)

Subtitles are available :)

Edited by PurePassion

Yup the woman's anims are definitely new. Just tested in Arma2 to make sure. :)

The running animation wasn't all that good, but I liked the new walking anim when she (bikini girl) was in the water. Overall BIS seems to have almost nailed the walking anims already (as seen on the soldiers in the Stratis teaser), but the new running animations we've seen are all still quite robotic and really stick out like a sore thumb. I hope these get improved.

This is what I mean -the left arm is too long and the palm backward looks strange for her small boned frame. Also the forearm appears to have more girth then the upper arm which shouldn't be unless she's an arm wrestler.

running1.jpg

Bikini girl is using WIP male animations since female version isnt finished yet (that said i am not responsible for unarmed cycles - just a headsup before u stone me publically :)). And as for headbob looking like in arma1 - headbob is a matter of tweaking mostly.

Edited by Smookie

that said i am not responsible for unarmed cycles - just a headsup before u stone me publically :))

Well maybe you should be given the difference in quality between armed and unarmed animations is just ridiculous.

Plus that bikini girl 3D model should be scrapped. BIS start over.

Smookie - i hope you will do some great pistol animations - unlike those in arma2 , where he is running with pistol like a "retard" :D

Well maybe you should be given the difference in quality between armed and unarmed animations is just ridiculous.

Plus that bikini girl 3D model should be scrapped. BIS start over.

i shall repeat myself, the animations are NOT done...

Smookie - i hope you will do some great pistol animations - unlike those in arma2 , where he is running with pistol like a "retard" :D

its already fixed:)