Sign in to follow this  
jeza

Aliens: Colonial Marines (At Last!)

If they pull the usual "let's-resurrect-every-line-from-the-original-even-when-unwarranted" shtick I'm going to mail my fist to that developer's home address.

(

You keep away from them you BITCH! *Ripley voice* :yay: :D

Edited by jblackrupert

I was interested in this but it just looks like Duke Nukem decorated with Aliens theme.

I didn't like the alien anims as they run to you and that on screen blood splatter was very poor, I guess im biased becuase its that genre type I suppose.

I love how much attention they obviously put on details, if you've seen ALIENS the movie you instantly recognise the architecture of the corridors and special rooms like command HQ or med lab. Its plain GORGEOUS :D

A game like this will never really be good unless it's built primarily for PC. To be honest, the aliens looked way too easy in the gameplay video. No tension or suspense that you get with the original alien or colonial marines movie. At one part a xenomorph was attacking the guy for about 5 seconds and nothing much happened... He should have been torn to shreds, but he just get scratched a bit then i presume some health regen bulllshit kicked in which shouldn't be in a survival game.

My dream game would be:

A whole massive map of LV-426 complex would be pretty awesome.

16 marines vs 48 aliens / 8 vs 24 etc PvP multiplayer.

or/and 2-16 player co-op with different kinds of missions. holding areas, clearing areas or reaching a certain point.. but you can choose whichever routes you want with dynamic alien attacks or no attacks if you get lucky... Go through the hive or take ventilation etc. Once you start shooting, the aliens become more aware of your presence. :) Difficulty would depend on the amounts of ammos you have, the distance you have to travel through the complex and the amount of aliens present. Two types of difficulty settings for the aliens soft/hard changing their damage dealt and health amount.

... Started to rant a little. But it just sounded awesome in my head.

Edited by Dead3yez

I hate how every new FPS has to be showcased on a console!

I was interested in this but it just looks like Duke Nukem decorated with Aliens theme.
This so much.

Game looks awful IMO.

Crappy FOV, crappy movement, crappy gfx [models, textures, everything], crappy planned scenes and all looks so slow and... crap.

Gosh I miss AvP 2 and Natural Selection.

If this is a true follow up to camerons aliens then yes yes goddamit yes. Howevever if the developers decide they want to try and be clever and start adding super human aliens that can hack doorcodes, fly and marines are running around in human tank suits with antimatter bfg guns then sorry but im off. keep it simple, keep it original and dont try to prove something by adding something new because the alien fans will not be impressed.

Call Of Duty is at least fast :| the whole game (the aliens, humans, guns) seems to be in slowmo :|

Call Of Duty is at least fast :| the whole game (the aliens, humans, guns) seems to be in slowmo :|

in all fairness so was the aliens films. if you are talking about the speed of the aliens in the game im glad they slowed them down a bit. both avp pc games and the recent avp 360 game the aliens were way too fast and playing as the marines wasnt enjoyable

in all fairness so was the aliens films. if you are talking about the speed of the aliens in the game im glad they slowed them down a bit. both avp pc games and the recent avp 360 game the aliens were way too fast and playing as the marines wasnt enjoyable
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH7VOATPCYv1nojNoW8GU-dUw12wXKaKRNAVpwV7m8fX-HCWIG

[speaking about PC's AvP1 and AvP2] All the people I talked to thought the Marine part was the best and most epic... also because You weren't really the king of the battlefield, AND THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. They ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FAST, damnit! And so they were, and it was good.

Even with that I painted many walls with them...

Edited by JonPL

speaking about PC's AvP1 and AvP2] All the people I talked to thought the Marine part was the best and most epic... also because You weren't really the king of the battlefield, AND THAT'S WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT. They ARE SUPPOSED TO BE FAST, damnit! And so they were, and it was good.

Agreed. :D

Being the marine is all about going against unfair odds. If anyone thought that was not enjoyable then they have really bad taste.

The first AvP was great, I wasn't a huge fan of the second one and the third one was a load of crap (Rebellion really dropped the ball). The AvP movies let the side down as well, very disappointing.

Personally, I like what I see so far. The only thing I don't like is the constant showcasing new games on consoles (as someone else mentioned).

A co-op Aliens game with a story that follows on from the film suits me fine and until I actually play it, I'm going to reserve judgement on whether it sucks or not :)

And as far as crrapy GFX goes, that was on a console and I guess we were watching a different movie because the graphics looked pretty good to me and the attention to detail was excellent.

I'm not sure if Gearbox is doing a direct port (and it would be a shame if they were) but I'm guessing the PC version will look much better, just the higher resolutions alone will make a huge difference.

Edited by BangTail

Looked fine to me. I remember in the original AVP you'd get the occasional xeno jumping right over you at 5,000kph. :D

...before my pulse grenade met it at its LZ.

:/

Yeah, it really looks like they're using the body designs from ADI. The head is still biomechanical, and they did a good job of the mouth. The bodies are reminiscent of the company that David Fincher gave the contract to after giving HR Giger the shaft. They do have a biomechanical texture, though. As aliens fans, I would have thought they would have looked more at the Giger designs than the designs that came later.

The alien's implied life cycle was really cool in the first movie. In aliens it was cool too, throwing in a queen. They had to do this because the monster had been seen in the first movie, and was no longer scary. Moving genres to an action movie and making a big bad to increase the stakes is the only thing Cameron could do with it. The third movie reinforced the concept of the alien getting traits from its host organism (but sadly did away with the signature biomechanical look)... and it all went down hill from there. ADI further made the things fleshy looking ostensibly because they weren't really aliens but some kind of weird hybrid caused by some error in the cloning process. They put the large ridges on the tails to make them look like they could swim. The same aliens appeared in AVP, and then in AVP 2, ADI lost the plot completely with the very lazy head ridges. For some reason, every alien after alien 3 had dog legs, and plump lips, and every alien after resurrection was fleshy and weird.

In my opinion, for this game, they should have dialed back the design. But then again, I am just a Giger fan... you know, the guy who won an oscar for his design, that's all. It does tickle me a bit that the recent video game designs are actually closer than the recent movie designs, though.

...but 'crusher alien'? Are Gearbox getting their design queues from McFarlane Toys from the late 90s? That flies in the face of everything that's interesting about this creature as an idea... and the design is boring. The biggest problem is that they are billing this as a sequel to aliens. Aliens was quite a serious movie, and didn't have all that kiddy stuff in it.

Edited by Max Power

..but 'crusher alien'? Are Gearbox getting their design queues from McFarlane Toys from the late 90s? That flies in the face of everything that's interesting about this creature as an idea... and the design is boring. The biggest problem is that they are billing this as a sequel to aliens. Aliens was quite a serious movie, and didn't have all that kiddy stuff in it.

I actually still have the Bull Alien and flying Queen, funnily enough. :D They're classics now. I used to have the Queen Facehugger and the one that exploded (Scorpion Alien?) too. :D

Now I liked this trailer came out yesterday , game has been put back, but when has it not, take as long as they need to bring out a good experience I hope is their thinking.

EfOOOAN9e9w

I can`t wait to see what the general concensus will be from PC gamers who love to play the Alien in the 1st person perspective..... when they are bounced

from a beautiful Marine 1st person view, to the Alien forced 3rd person view in mp. And what GearBoxes is answer will be as to why both 3rd AND 1st povs

were not implimented to cover all player styles. I know I`ll only be playing the sp campaign, and Co op....... mp won`t see any miliage from me.

sp campaign, and Co op....... mp won`t see any miliage from me.

Same here I imagine, wasnt to sure about the last 'kick-ass' trailer, I am starting to have a few reservations about it, however hopefully it all works out :p

That voice over is quite annoying. I feel bad saying that but it just doesn't seem to fit.