Sign in to follow this  
jeza

Aliens: Colonial Marines (At Last!)

Im afraid it will turn into a story driven tunnel of FPS.. I want a more open dynamic situation. 3rd level, invasion, in AvsP gold is the best so far from all alien games.

The amount of xenos jumping at you gives it a taste of cheap cash-in version.The xenos are supposed to be fearsome predators,not some fodder material for your pulse rifle.

Between the terrifying atmosphere of AvP1 and the latest derp incarnations of the Aliens universe,Colonial Marines looks to be in the second category.

New MP trailer out, not so sure how this is how it will always play out online ;)

The amount of xenos jumping at you gives it a taste of cheap cash-in version.The xenos are supposed to be fearsome predators,not some fodder material for your pulse rifle.

Between the terrifying atmosphere of AvP1 and the latest derp incarnations of the Aliens universe,Colonial Marines looks to be in the second category.

I don't know if you've seen the movie Aliens, but they were pulse rifle fodder the majority of the time.

Yes I've seen the movie Aliens(quite)plenty of times and I remember that with the exception of the sentry guns in the holed up hq scene where they mow down plenty of xenos the rest of the movie the marines are busy dying.In fact the first combat scene with xenos almost half of the marine team gets whacked.So far(at least from trailers) this game promotes a whack-a-mole type of gameplay where you're Baron McGun Space Rambo killing 20 xenos and the most you get is a bad bruise.I'm pretty sure that in the past games if you had a few of those xenos up-close you'll get owned...pretty bad.Heck even one was enough in AvsP1 to get you to half health especially if you had the bad luck blasting him near you.

So far Colonial Marines looks like "Xeno number 194 please enter the scene" than the tensioned atmosphere of the past games.

Yeah, but the marines kill hundreds every time they're engaged. Regardless of whether or not the marines 'got owned' up close, the majority of the xenomorphs did not even make it up close. And it seemed like more marines died in accidents or by acid splatter than by actual xenomorph activity. In fact, Vasquez didn't seem to 'get owned' by a xenomorph. She was wounded by acid exposure when she stomped an alien's head and shot holes in its brain. She was the only marine to be engaged in non-ambush close quarters scenario. So you could say in the movie, the marines bested aliens in CQC 100% of the time when they weren't caught by surprise.

Edited by Max Power

..... when they weren't caught by surprise.

This is the key phrase and it's basically the main feature of xenomorph,since they don't use weapons they're lurking predators,moving very fast in the dark,ambushing the prey.When they do get close it's pretty much game over.This is taken from wiki:

-Apone taken by an xeno and impregnated later(ambush)

-Burke attacked from behind(ambush)

-Crowe indeed killed by explosion

-Cynthia taken by an xeno and impregnated(ambush)

-Drake killed by xeno blood when Vasquez shot one xeno near him

-Spunkmeyer and Ferro(dropship pilots) killed by sneaky alien(again ambush)

-Frost accidental death

-Gorman and Vasquez being trapped decide to have one awesome death:p

-Hudson taken by an alien through a floor grating (ambush)

-Wierzbowski barely seen on the screen,attacked or killed by alien

So 6 deaths(without including Wierzbowski) are specifically from aliens getting close and ambushing the marines,seems pretty "owned" to me.I wouldn't say they bested the aliens 100% in CQC at all but it's your opinion.I would even say in close quarters like buildings the only effective weapon is the smartgun.Also I doubt the marines kill hundreds in every combat scene,the only exception is like I said earlier the hq scene with sentry guns.

Now of course the marines kill more than being killed by xenos,it's pretty logical too otherwise if the ratio was 1/1 we would have had a 10 min movie.My original point was that xenos are a fearsome enemy and Colonial Marines shouldn't be a Cod in space where you advance a room and 20 xenos jump at you,advance the next room another 20 pop up and so on.It takes out the fear and tension.One of the praised points in the classic AvsP 1 was exactly this feeling,that basically as a lone marine you'll have brown pants when the motion tracker starts to "beep beep".More than 2 aliens coming at you at the same time you would have been in trouble with only your pulse rifle due to their speed and fast movement on the walls.

Edited by Krycek

5 days or so now, this also popping out, regardless of the game adored the original and this version of the trailer.

Looking more and more like a pathetic attempt to cash in on the franchise - DLC announced before the game even releases and some people who got it early are saying it's not very good at all.

If it is as bad as some are saying it is, Gearbox are definitely going down a few notches in my book.

There is no excuse here - 6 years in development, lots of money etc and delayed several times because they were supposedly 'making it the best experience it could possibly be'.

Personally, when I started seeing Aliens with yellow bits on their heads and giant Aliens that rammed things - my "suck" radar was already starting to hum.

If the devs are such big fans of the franchise, why alter it and add stuff that has nothing to do with it (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).

I'll make a final judgment based on my own experience but it's not looking so good at this point.

This thread has a lot of links and opinions:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=47082.0

Edit: Some Console reviews are in and it actually does not seem that bad, definitely not GOTY material by the looks of things but better than average:

http://setinstonegaming.tumblr.com/post/42753536156/danxios-review-of-aliens-colonial-marines

Edit 2:

Played for about 2 hours and I'm enjoying it. It's fun and on "Ultimate Badass" it is far from easy.

As has been commented upon, the textures are not so great but it's not going to kill your enjoyment.

They've nailed the feeling of the Aliens universe imho and as much as many complain about the WeyYu soldiers, I like them. They have surprised the bejeezus out of me more than once.

Not going to write a whole review but minus the textures and a bit of cheesy dialogue, it's pretty good.

I haven't tried the MP yet, I'll give that a go at some point today.

I guess if you really want to nitpick, you will find reasons to rag on it (like the majority of the people on Metacritic), but it is not a 1/10. From my own experience and based on the almost 2 hours I have played, I'd give it a solid 7.5 - 8.0.

JM2C

Oh and PS - You'll see some people saying that AvP 2010 was a way better game (undoubtedly the same jagovs that were hating on it when it was released).

I have to categorically disagree with these people. AvP 2010 was and is, imho, the worst game based on either (or both) franchises.

Edited by BangTail
Links to reviews

Have similar thoughts to bangtail so far, so we'll see what's what later on, as they kept mentioning its the first game to be a direct sequel to the films I am hoping the campaign picks up soon as it has been in dev for many years.

Been playing for an hour Completed the first level, not sure can comment yet, but did grab a rather tasty Screen: -> Screenshot

Edited by Jeza

Rofl it's getting hammered by.....everyone?I'm surprised because it's been awhile since I saw the gaming press actually agree with the regular users.Especially the ones who slap 7,8,9s on every turd,yes I'm looking at you IGN.

Fail of the year??Don't think so,but it might be a strong contender.If you wanna laugh it seems even the console crowd hates it.

So anyone went guinea and actually bought it?

Personally, I'm loving it - the more I play it - the more I like it.

I almost cancelled my Steam preorder based on the early negativity but man am I glad I didn't.

I'm not sure why so many people are so angry - especially console players (although I can't imagine this game is very much fun with a PS3 or Xbox controller).

I was playing Halo 4 with my nephew and I don't understand how people play FPS with those things (I guess if you've never used keyboard/mouse you don't know what you are missing).

Played a bit of MP (as an Alien) before, was a f**king blast :D

Edited by BangTail

Recorded 10mins of a few levels here:

;2294378']Just found this.... http://i.imgur.com/RJgDSY5.jpg say it aint' true :(

In terms of gameplay, atmosphere, ambience etc, CM blows AvP2010 out of the water.

Yep, the textures are not great but most of the game is so dark that it doesn't really matter. Still, a high res texture pack would not be a bad idea.

I'm not stopping in every room to shine my flashlight on textures ;)

I've had so many 'OMFG' moments playing CM compared to the 'yawn' moments of AvP 2010.

I'm near the end now and I've been playing solidly all day. These days, very few games have kept me glued to my screen the way CM has.

Edited by BangTail

Sounds interdasting, I'll pick it up eventually, I'll wait a month or so till it's fully patched. Is there any news on a SDK being released? or is Sega another company who say the pc modding community no longer exists.

Yah, good plan - still some pathfinding issues etc but nothing that will ruin your enjoyment. I'm sure they'll hammer those out fairly quickly.

Not sure on the SDK but I would not be surprised if we see a high res texture pack.

Just fired up AvP 2010 to take a look at the graphics again - not a bad looking game but within 2 or 3 minutes I remembered why I don't care for it.

IIRC, The Predator's shoulder 'caster' is not a 3 shot weapon and his 'cloak' is not time limited by energy. The pathetic attempts at 'balance' in that game are hideous.

The Predator is supposed to be a kick ass hunter, not some intergalactic gimp.

Edited by BangTail

Just been playing for the last half hour. Am not feeling it. AVP Classic 2000 was the best, the speed and feeling of movement was perfect. Aliens seem slow and clunky like AVP 2010. Am not impressed at all. :(

Just been playing for the last half hour. Am not feeling it. AVP Classic 2000 was the best, the speed and feeling of movement was perfect. Aliens seem slow and clunky like AVP 2010. Am not impressed at all. :(

Nothing is going to beat that game - they should just remake it (changing nothing) on a newer engine (Nudge - Unreal 4).

I still maintain that CM is a good game but the original AvP was epic :D

The Marine campaign was so intense that I would have to stop periodically to lower my heart rate!

Edited by BangTail

When I can build my own levels I will buy this asap (usermade tools or SDK), until then I stick to AvP Gold from -99.

J....Ju...Just watch it. FPDR Edited by Smurf

That video is so true - someone or some studio basicly removed cool looking unreal 3 style lighting/shadows and the final game looks so empty and "ugly"

Even Doom 3 looks nicer than this final version of A:CM

When I can build my own levels I will buy this asap (usermade tools or SDK), until then I stick to AvP Gold from -99.

I really can't see them doing anything for the PC community with this however, would be happy to be proved wrong in the future but I don't see it coming.

Came across this on Gearbox forums feedback thread, made me chuckle

played it for 10 minutes and then RANKUP!!!!!!!SUPER UNLOCK 500000XP BONUS UPGRADE1!!!1!!CALLENGECOMPLETED NEW WEAPON AVAILABLE MUTHER F*CKER YEAAHHAHAH AMERICA!!!!!!

uninstalled.