Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

BIS 3D scope is a small zoom - thats why it looks weird and yes this method of zooming 3D view has own cons

wondering if i ever use the new 3D scope because ranges on those reticles won't be working as they were on 2D , unless they have small zoom - so more work to do etc

BIS 3D scope is a small zoom - thats why it looks weird and yes this method of zooming 3D view has own cons

wondering if i ever use the new 3D scope because ranges on those reticles won't be working as they were on 2D , unless they have small zoom - so more work to do etc

Can you explain why wouldn't they? If I understand correctly you set the memory point for the view in your optic for the camera distance/positioning from scope and then set the zoom factor in the config. You also have control over the sight reticle you're making so you can scale it. With those three you can control every aspect of scale and FOV for the scope. Once the player is zoomed in, his view is fixed.

I haven't checked yet, but I'm sure BI has considered this for their scopes.

Can you explain why wouldn't they? If I understand correctly you set the memory point for the view in your optic for the camera distance/positioning from scope and then set the zoom factor in the config. You also have control over the sight reticle you're making so you can scale it. With those three you can control every aspect of scale and FOV for the scope. Once the player is zoomed in, his view is fixed.

I haven't checked yet, but I'm sure BI has considered this for their scopes.

There many things that it can be done but also it is more "complicated" to make it work as it should - like working proper ranges in the scope , proper zoom value etc - these small problems are since arma 1 (where some mods did first 3D zoom scopes ) and it is not reliable as 2D scope view which has proper everything

oh well - time to do more experiments with 3D zoom scopes ...

There many things that it can be done but also it is more "complicated" to make it work as it should - like working proper ranges in the scope , proper zoom value etc - these small problems are since arma 1 (where some mods did first 3D zoom scopes ) and it is not reliable as 2D scope view which has proper everything

oh well - time to do more experiments with 3D zoom scopes ...

Well, yeah I agree, it's going to be more complicated since it involves more things than a config value and the 2D optic model. :)

I just tested out the marks on BI scopes. RCO, ARCO and MRCO (400, 600 and 800 marks) and they all work as intended as far as bullets hitting the marks at advertised distances. Tho I've no clue how to determine/judge the zoom factor considering we've got multiple things to work with (configs/real life equivalents/tooltips).

Edit: I just tried out the MRCO at it's "no-zoom" setting, the marks still worked as intended at all ranges, but it was kinda hard to align the marks and the target since they were both just a couple of pixels in dimensions without zoom at 1920x1080.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

I just noticed another quite rubbish part about the "3D" scopes: Aside from dirt and glare making it ridiculously hard to actually see things through them, using them with TrackIR is nothing but a pain in the behind. For starters, since your view isn't locked, you get 4x zoom everywhere, meaning you can bring up the sights and get zoom in a damn near 360 degree circle around you without having to move the scope. And second, since your view isn't locked, and you've just zoomed in 4x, it's nothing but a small hell trying to aim, since you have to keep your head extremelly still, due to even small movements causing you to lose sight of your scope. So in essence:

Please, just bin these awful "3D" scopes or make them an option!

I just tested out the marks on BI scopes. RCO, ARCO and MRCO (400, 600 and 800 marks) and they all work as intended as far as bullets hitting the marks at advertised distances. Tho I've no clue how to determine/judge the zoom factor considering we've got multiple things to work with (configs/real life equivalents/tooltips).

Since we had few broken sights/crosshairs all the way through vanilla Arma 2/OA (G36 fiasco anyone?), please do check them throuroughly while tickets can still be made : ) Do the mildots on the sniper scope work correctly? I am still a bit confused that you can mount the SOS on a plain MX rifle, and zero all the way up to 2200m. Haven't tested if that works correctly though (although obviously the bullet probably falls to ground much before that).

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 14:11 ----------

"3D" scopes: using them with TrackIR is nothing but a pain in the behind. For starters, since your view isn't locked, you get 4x zoom everywhere, meaning you can bring up the sights and get zoom in a damn near 360 degree circle around you without having to move the scope. [/b]

Why not just lock them when using TrackIR? Should be pretty easy for BIS to do, since they are already locked when you try ALT freelook when in scoped view (well, your view changes but with the scope aligned to the view, and only in a small arc, and it snaps back to previous position when you release freelook). Ticket yet on TrackIR & Scopes?

Since we had few broken sights/crosshairs all the way through vanilla Arma 2/OA (G36 fiasco anyone?), please do check them throuroughly while tickets can still be made : ) Do the mildots on the sniper scope work correctly? I am still a bit confused that you can mount the SOS on a plain MX rifle, and zero all the way up to 2200m. Haven't tested if that works correctly though (although obviously the bullet probably falls to ground much before that).

Mildots are working properly only with sniper rifles - aka M320 or Lynx on all ranges , on ABR (EBR) it only works from 500-800m then the bullet goes down so i think the MXM does the same max to 800m or less

Mildots are working properly only with sniper rifles - aka M320 or Lynx on all ranges , on ABR (EBR) it only works from 500-800m then the bullet goes down so i think the MXM does the same max to 800m or less

Considering how zeroing works in Arma and the SOS itself being zeroed in 100m increments up to 2.3km I find it very easy to ignore mildots on SOS. At 1800+ zeroings firing from window a with low powered weapons will in most cases result in the bullet hitting the window frame or the wall above it, and at 2300m zeroing the bullet hits the ceiling, weaker the weapon, the sillier the effect looks. Try putting the SOS on Vermin, range it at 2300 and fire inside a house or point blank at a 2 story building. :D

Oh my.... i see what you did there ;]. I don't know about the names, but i'm sure it won't be a problem.

Is the full game going to have real vehicle/weapon names, because it seems like in the beta they've renamed a few vehicles and weapons that had real names. (RAH-66 Comanche to Blackfoot, KA-60 to PO-30 Orca)

i suppose its copyright???

for example... GTA IV

Edited by tyl3r99
addition to post

I hope they will add much more civillian vehicles and civillian air transport

Yes please.

Also, looked back through field manual and it seems incindiery ammo is missing from arty list now. Walked back?

Landing on moving ships is possible, I have just discovered it!!

BIS, you are the best!!!!

Landing on moving ships is possible, I have just discovered it!!

BIS, you are the best!!!!

Please elaborate!

You can also drive a HEMTT with its back in the water, drive a boat into it and then transport the boat :)

PhysX :cool:

Please elaborate!

I have modded a ship that uses PHYSX and you can land choppers on it and continue moving with the choppers not falling

If so is possible then great! Now if we could put the units and vehicles in editor on bigger ships without need of "moveInCargo" syntax... Im blown away then!

I have modded a ship that uses PHYSX and you can land choppers on it and continue moving with the choppers not falling
Would this be a ship with a helicopter deck? I am admittedly interested in hearing just how such PhysX implementation is done... as whether this also made this moving ship walkable.

Good stuff, guys. I think it will be good oder so...

Nice a C130 would be epic to have now.

load it up with a jeep and dropit out the back attacthed to a parachute :)

Do the ship sinks a little bit due the helo weight?

Nice anyway.

You can also drive a HEMTT with its back in the water, drive a boat into it and then transport the boat :)

PhysX :cool:

you can drop an assault boat on altitude 2.5m above the cargopart of the HEMTT and it will stay there too. :)

Doesn't work for players though.. Yes I had to try. :p