Sign in to follow this  
Maio

Arma 3: Confirmed features | info & discussion

Those were supposed to be the Greek resistance on Lemnos, who were led by Nikos or at least helped/supplied by Nikos. And I think the AAF replaced them as a more organized force. The Iranians were supposed to be conducting COIN operations against the Limnos resistance. I will try to see if I can find the E3 2012 banner that shows the factions.

http://imageshack.us/a/img442/4343/webfactionsartwork.jpg

The 1st, 2nd, and third from the left are NATO, Iran, and the Greek resistance (AAF). The 4th is the Limnos civilians.

EDIT: So now it'd be NATO, CSAT, AAF, and FIA.

Edited by antoineflemming

A "fixed wing demonstration" is mentioned in the AAF showcase, so they must be there.

Though it is weird that they are not listed among the vehicles.

Here is a list of new vehicles together with their new revealed names.

• T-100 Varsuk tank - Varsuk could be a derivative of Barsuk, the russian word for badger
  • AFV-4 Gorgon wheeled APC - A gorgon is a horrific female creature in greek mythology
  • 2S9 Sochor self-propelled artillery
  • AR-2 Skylark quadrotor UAV
  • MQ4A Greyhawk attack/recon UAV
  • UGV Stomper attack/recon UGV
  • K-40 Ababil-3 attack/recon UAV - The ababil is a race of birds depicted in the Quran that protected Mecca from the Yemen army by dropping red clay bricks on the Yemen elephants as they approached.
  • Tayran AR-2 quadrotor UAV
  • UGV Saif attack/recon UGV
  • SUV

A "fixed wing demonstration" is mentioned in the AAF showcase, so they must be there.

Though it is weird that they are not listed among the vehicles.

It is kind of worrying even though I don't fly myself, I die a lot :(

The weapon and vehicle list seems quite short, I hope it's a mistake because it looks like many things were cut:

No shotguns of any kind(according to the thread, there were supposed to be a M1014 and Kel-tec KSG)

No XM 25 grenade launcher

Only one jet, the 143 Buzzard jet fighter. (I thought we would have at least 2 jet fighters, the f-35 and the L-159 Alca)

No MV-22 Osprey

Also, no OPFOR equivalent to the MLRS(might be some truck variant though), no independent tank(might be a variant of an existing tank though), no independent attack helicopter, no cargoplane like the C-130 from A2

The weapon and vehicle list seems quite short, I hope it's a mistake because it looks like many things were cut

I really hope so too...

^I agree...WTF!? :confused:

I've SEEN screenshots of the other jets years ago! Now you tell me there's 1 single jet in the FULL game?

This can't be right?

No A-10? What is the point of releasing the game then?

:D

I thought a while back one of the devs at E3 or some place said there was still some experimental surprises headed our way... Maybe they're just not revealing 'till full release?

The weapon and vehicle list seems quite short, I hope it's a mistake because it looks like many things were cut:

No shotguns of any kind(according to the thread, there were supposed to be a M1014 and Kel-tec KSG)

Only one jet, the 143 Buzzard jet fighter. (I thought we would have at least 2 jet fighters, the f-35 and the L-159 Alca)

No MV-22 Osprey

Also, no OPFOR equivalent to the MLRS(might be some truck variant though), no independent tank(might be a variant of an existing tank though), no independent attack helicopter, no cargoplane like the C-130 from A2

The M1014 has only been seen in 2011 screenshots from before the 2012 revamp, so I'm not counting that. Also, it appears that based on some files-digging-up, the 143 Buzzard may actually be a renamed L-159 Alca, though of course this leaves the question of where the "F35f" went. There's also mention of a "C130j" in the "extended alpha" list.
No A-10? What is the point of releasing the game then?
Well, an A-10 was never implied for this game. :p Although conversely, neither was a dedicated fixed-wing ground attack jet at all...

M1014 also appeared in one of the trade show builds when game journalists played a shooting gallery at one of the camps.

The M1014 has only been seen in 2011 screenshots from before the 2012 revamp, so I'm not counting that. Also, it appears that based on some files-digging-up, the 143 Buzzard may actually be a renamed L-159 Alca, though of course this leaves the question of where the "F35f" went. There's also mention of a "C130j" in the "extended alpha" list.Well, an A-10 was never implied for this game. :p Although conversely, neither was a dedicated fixed-wing ground attack jet at all...

What has been shown in previous screenshots, videos, and art on the webpage were 2 fixed wing aircraft across 3 factions: F-35F for NATO, L-159 Alca for Iran and the Greek resistance on Limnos. The AAF Alca/Buzzard can be seen at around 10:37 in the video on this page:

http://www.pcgames.de/Arma-3-PC-236876/News/Arma-3-Vorschau-Teil-1-Szenarien-KI-Missionen-1081313/

So the fixed-wing aircraft are NOT being cut from the game.

Edited by antoineflemming

I also only recall seeing the F-35 in 2011 footage and maybe a 2012 screenshot or two, but I agree that the PCGames.de video included a view of the L-159 (or "A-143 Buzzard") in what appeared to be digital camouflage of the AAF variety.

Indeed, the idea here guys is not that we haven't seen those jets/vehicles before, but the fact that because the campaign has been axed from release, people are wondering if these vehicles have.

I mean, in 2011/2012, everyone thought it would be on release, right?

I also only recall seeing the F-35 in 2011 footage and maybe a 2012 screenshot or two, but I agree that the PCGames.de video included a view of the L-159 (or "A-143 Buzzard") in what appeared to be digital camouflage of the AAF variety.

Weren't there two F-35s at the very end of the Stratis reveal video last year?

Not sure about that.....but this Jet is in the list they revealed today:

A 143 Buzzard jet fighter

Not sure what it is, but that is a strange name for a jet.

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

What has been shown in previous screenshots, videos, and art on the webpage were 2 fixed wing aircraft across 3 factions: F-35F for NATO, L-159 Alca for Iran and the Greek resistance on Limnos. The AAF Alca/Buzzard can be seen at around 10:37 in the video on this page:

http://www.pcgames.de/Arma-3-PC-236876/News/Arma-3-Vorschau-Teil-1-Szenarien-KI-Missionen-1081313/

So the fixed-wing aircraft are NOT being cut from the game.

Yes, I saw that as well..... mean looking jet, btw. I'm sure the list they put up today is not the full list. Since it is 2035, they've got to have some stuff we've never heard of.....Scientific Stuff for the future.

Yeah, the "143 Buzzard" is consistent with the reading through language_f.pbo where people got the idea that the A-143 Buzzard is the in-game renaming (or, if Field Manual entries are anything to go by, a knockoff or a licensed copy) of the L-159 Alca.

No MV-22 Osprey

Yea, same here, I want more rifle varieties especially since we're going to have a good 5 militarized factions (+ civis) and it would be weird to see them all use the same gun (but then again, look at how many real life armies use the AK as their main service rifle). I can see the AAF and the FIA using the Mk.20, with the FIA using the non-camo version but the thing I really want to see are more machine guns, at least more general purpose machine guns. I want more 7.62 and 50 cal machine guns for use in a weapons squad, etc. I mean, if in the end, we're just going to have to rely on mods for variety then so be it, but I'd rather use BI made weapons. Though, with all that said, this may be all resolved in future DLC and Expansions (which is a little annoying but what can you do...).

Based on a Field Manual entry, it appears that the FIA (then "GREEN Guerillas") was set to be using the TRG series as their service rifle.

I am away from home dealing with some family issues and I'm writing this of a very old PC (AMD Athlon 1800+ w00t w00t)

Since this thread was primeraly intended to provide scraps of information to the community prior to A3 release, I am considering closing it or switching it to content only, even though the content will be posted on the A3 website which would be the main landing spot for people interested in finding out more about the game.

I should be back home by Friday and I'll deal with it then. Until then, please take note of the disclaimer on the first post.