krazikilla

ArmA3 Wishlist and Ideas

I havent read all 10 pages but

Realistic fast roping from helos and ladder extractions etc

AI Medic needs improvments.

Goggles that can be put on or off

AI pilots needs improvments

Improve command system

Yes, the medical system, wounding system and hit locations all need work.

I want a more authentic tactical experience, particularly when it comes to the authentic relationships of combined arms. I want to have a mechanized infantry platoon where the infantry deploys from their APCs in a realistic manner then moves down a road around the armored vehicle in an authentic way... I want platoon and company and brigade level command structures that work in the AI when I'm playing alone.

For the campaign game i want less corny dialogue and more realistic technical detail in the way an army operates.

I want this particularly when calling in airstrikes, and artillery and transport. No jokes no wisecracks, just strict adherence to the manuals and doctrines that officers must learn by heart.

I think this game this sim should be like a living textbook that teaches you what is really going on in military thinking, whether it's historical, contemporary or projections of future military tactical doctrine.

There are other shootemups for younger guys. I want to understand how the military works at the ground level even if it makes the game a lot less exciting or satisfying to the run and gun crowd. I want more of a sim even if it means going on patrols and nothing happens.

And that means that I want AIs that are grounded more in the military doctrines of foreign countries or specific arms of the military, be it Marines, Taliban, Russian troops Australian troops whatever...then i can play a whole evening and feel when I'm done that I didn't just waste my time on a silly toy. I want to walk away and feel like I learned somethign. I want to choose where I am in that learning experience...whether as a grunt or as a captain or whatever. But I want to be immersed in it, even if it means squatting behind a wall waiting while some unit is moved into position...

Basically I want VBS with a super steroid AI.

Oh yeah and bring in James Dunnigan as your technical advisor.

http://jimdunnigan.com/bio.htm

jfdphoto.jpg

Edited by Cadmium77

What I dont like in Arma 2 is when your driving a tank and it gets hit you dont even know it befor you see the healt bar on the left. There should be better impackt sound for the shells that hit.

Shooting from vehicles is a must. Joint Operations: Typhoon rising had this 8 years ago and implemented awesomely!

BF vietnam had it on the jeeps, was very simple. shouldnt really be that hard with arma i think.

What I dont like in Arma 2 is when your driving a tank and it gets hit you dont even know it befor you see the healt bar on the left. There should be better impackt sound for the shells that hit.

Good call!!

Brian :)

BF vietnam had it on the jeeps, was very simple. shouldnt really be that hard with arma i think.

Never played the game tbh but if it does come into Arma 3 it needs to be realistic thats for sure.

That Arma 2 troops and islands work seamlessly in Arma 3. Obviously Arma 3 will have an up graded troop, vehicle and island formats, but being able to use both formats in the same system would be very cool.

Just thought of another one.

If the Island in game is based from imagery of Lemnos please, please do not split the Island.

I want to get lost in 477^km of beautiful Greek countryside. Or even worse only having half the Island to play with in the first instance...

Will Arma 3 be 64-bit only? If it is not it won't be able to do islands any bigger than the current islands. But I doubt Arma3 will be 64-bit, because not everyone will be 64-bit by 2012. Arma 2 works much better on 64-bit than 32-bit OSs. 64-bit would allow many more troops and much bigger environments, more types of buildings, and have memory more better AI etc.

Full implementation of High command with much fuller control (just like COC/CEX for arma1)

Implemention of high command should not be just module based, it should be hardcoded into the control system for any mission. Anyone who has used CENTS HCS Addon in which you can select whoever and whatever from unit(s) from you team and up them to a Hi command slot instantly and back again as you require.

So in effect Hi command becomes a fixed addition to control system.

Also in addition to this High command should also feature ability to view selected team with a camera view (RTS style) if you have set this option. High command is so powerful if its integrated better, so to fully flesh it out with more hold/stack up/get in vehicle fluent GUI and integrated into the system without Modular "on" switch would be superb.

Also taking into account save game issues where groups assigned would lose the HC control, joining a game, recruited units etc all being able to "pick where dead leader left off or if I switch" fluently with the HC system.

(I would prefer this to happen in Arma2/OA but if nothing else deff in Arma3)

Edited by mrcash2009

DomZ, Arma 2 works on 32 bit. This has been stated numerous times before and there are links to the Dev posts about it on these very forums.

ACE 2 features like flashlighst AND lasers at the same time, weapon resting and bipods, weapon overheating and jams (overheating means increased dispurtion and muzzle smoke no call of duty pverheating where weapon stops working :D) and vehicle armour simulation. Body armour simulation is a must, simply add "body armour damage" value to config and edit the damage formula to use that damage value against body armour and make it effected by veloicty. Allow body armour to shatter and lose effectivness. Armour piercing, ball, hollow point, match, explosive ammunition etc.

- I want a easy to use 3D Editor. It should be work exactly the same like 2D Editor... Just in 3D. Im tired of grouping units with these tons of weird logic points in order to get them working.

- In the matter of editor. Play / Stop / rewind option would be nice too. I mean - its nice to put units, waypoints in real time (without grouping them with logic points) and preview in real time how its work, and then rewind, make some changes in some point and play again without necessarily to return to editing mode and then to preview mode again (these loadings...). Its really annoying when i have to change something small and i have to preview this for thousand times just for be sure that some unit are in place where i need.

- Preview Player Camera (or something like this). Enough with putting player unit just for run to fence in order to check whether it is properly placed.

- Some simple way of scripting. Scripting in Operation Flashpoint was nice. Simple commands and expected effects. There are some difficult (for me) too but after some time it is to understand. In ArmA2 are new scripts system. Some sort of C# like? I don't know, maybe its jus me, but its really hard to learn for newbies and for someone who has no contact with advanced programming.

For example (its just an example). In order to add weapon we have to do in

OperationFlashopint: SomeUnit AddWeapon "M4A1"

Arma: SomeUnit AddWeapon "M4A1_ACOG"

Arma2: SomeUnit AddWeapon "M4A1_ACOG_CAMO_SLNCR_LSRPNTR" (old way)

Arma2: Blah blah ? = # %(@ = M4A1_ACOG_CAMO_SLNCR_LSRPNTR $@* True. (new way, i know that looks ridiculous, i don't remember that weird new way of scripting but there are somthing like this)

Also way of naming references links to weapon is just... Jesus... Long, weird, hard to remember (and u have to write exactly the same name with just one difference to get Acog instead of Scope). I want something simple, for example i have soldier, and i want to give him M4 with camo and dotsight or scope and grenade launcher. I want to write simple commands like

In Activation Field:

Instead of

This AddWeapons M4A1_Acog_Desert_grlaunch_blahblahblah_pink whale_pink zombie_blah blah; or This $@9 True Weapoin @#^!&!@ = Pink Whale.

I want

Weapon = M4A1 with {ACOG/Dotsight/Scope, Camo [Desert, 1/2/3 (for variants)], Grenade launcher, blah blah, Pink Whale on barrel}

The same simple way should be with spawning new units.

Just: Spawn T72 with {AA Gun, Camo [winter, 2], blah blah, something more} on SomePosition.

Not: This CreateUnit Setpos getpos setgetpost 12389032740932 true false blah blah blah blah blah blah.

And also... The same simple way can be with changing soldier uniform, equipment, giving a possibility in-game (in mission) changes to player unit for player disposition or whatever you want.

That unforgettable nightmares with description.ext, arggh.

- Active pause. And possibility (for mission maker) to give that option in singleplayer mission or not (it should work in editor preview too). It can be very helpfull, especially for screenmakers. It shouldn't be in multiplayer.

- Pos Checker. Enough with alt tabbing in order to check camera.txt for pos numbers.

My personal Wishlist is

- Better Ai, that is able to dig in and use cover well.

- Better optimized game

- Make it so all those mods for Arma 2 work out of the box with A3, so we don't have to wait years to get our WW2, Italian, French, German,Polish etc armies remade.

-Realistic AFV penetration system

How about a full time map on a secondary monitor (or 4th monitor if using triplehead). Since A3 is set in the "future" a heads up display with map position overlay now becomes realistic.

Along with that the complete customizability of hud elements and locations. So if I run triplehead I can keep all my AI related stuff on the far left and personal hud ammo health etc on the right leaving my main screen without distraction.

Sniper rifle scope should be 3D and not take over the entire view not even on a single display. On triplehead the side monitors should be left unaffected when transitioning into scope view.

TOUCH SCREEN SUPPORT... So I can order my AI without fondling my F keys. Talk about a futuristic interface. Like ordering up from an ATM of death!

Edited by ZeosPantera

Better AI and more realistic voices.

I still don't understand how even in this day and age the voices still sound like robots.

I have not thought much about what I want from ARMA 3 yet, but if I where to point out one thing then for me it is I hope they optimize the game properly and that it will have a fluid feel to it when aiming.

For me there is nothing more annoying when playing a FPS game that the aiming feels sluggish and almost "delayed".

How about grass that can flatten so you can track your enemy's last known position?

And the ability to steal classified maps, etc from off your quarry?

Better AI command set. More options, like different spread out intervals, etc... and when you tell them to hold fire, they actually do it this time.

Better AI spotting, etc

Sensible AI you actually feel safe driving with, and won't run you into a tree or something...

melee mode

The ability to command AI to fire a grenade or use a weapon I tell them to.

Edited by coder4crack

AI that's more alert to sounds and dead bodies, and will actually investigate suspicious activity.

Yes dead bodies alert AI.

Remove external HUD off aircraft, give them interactive cockpits and instrumentation for a more realistic flight experience. More realistic flight model and targeting system.