ArmA and Consoles

We'd just end up with tards going on the forums and posts like this:

"WTF this game doesnt have jump! unrealistic shit"

and

"u cant use a knife what kind of piece of crap is this"

and

"i shot a tank with a rocket and it didnt explode this is bs"

and

"WTF i cant hit stuff with my M4A1, i held the button until i ran out of ammo, not one hitmarker, im going back to cod"

Yay for a newer member, education :) ;)

Bohemia has already stated in a post that Arma has outgrown consoles and they would not be happy with the results if they tried.

Thats whats great about Bohemia. They care about their games.

unlike AAA developers who pump and dump titles like theres no tommorow.

I'm not against consoles but i say no, if they are to make a Arma 3 i would rather every bit of resource and time be spent on them making a great military simulator for the pc and not a game that is limited due to the consoles.

OFP-DR is ArmA2 on consoles isn't it, or have I missed something ...

OFP-DR is ArmA2 on consoles isn't it, or have I missed something ...

If that first part of your sentence wasn't just a bad joke, I'd say you've missed a lot...

Since consoles are PC gaming killers, they deserve this:

rz4EKv9HmsM

xKWoPAySVAs

so what you have seen, I'm against consoles.

P.S. soviets should have launched major invasion to exterminate all console manufacturers years ago...

This is such BS.. this 'i hate the console" community is getting on my nerves..

You 'PC-people' need to open your eyes and realise that developing games for the PC is getting harder and harder.. You all know that BIA will have to move/port their games eventually to the consoles in order to survive.. I denied this for a long time but I now realise that this is inevitable..

You people also know for a fact that a down-scaled version of Arma on the consoles would still be able to compete with COD, Dragon Rising/Red River or any of those arcade-ish shooters that are currently dominating the gaming industry on the consoles.. so my question to you people is why the hell not? I don't mind a down-scaled version.. as long as i can play CTF, TDM or even a normal DM with realism in its purest form, we former OFP players would be going out of their minds! And a down-scaled version would not necessarily mean the game would be worse.. Believe it or not many of us don't care about this modding stuff or having less controls..

...so my question to you people is why the hell not?

Because I for one don't want BIS to slow development on the PC (or the game overall), spend tons of money to re-develop/license the game, just to possibly sell a few hundred copies and not make any profit.

I highly doubt that this game, at its CORE, on the consoles, could compete with the major titles.

It's obvious, the majority of console owners want mindless destruction at the cost of realism...look at the sales

You people also know for a fact that a down-scaled version of Arma on the consoles would still be able to compete with COD, Dragon Rising/Red River or any of those arcade-ish shooters that are currently dominating the gaming industry on the consoles.

It will never compete one of the named games. Equally a Lamborghini would never compete with a Fiat.

as long as i can play CTF, TDM or even a normal DM

IMHO ArmA 2 never was well in these gametypes, it's strong point is Coop, preferably large scale. Removing this aspect would mean to remove one of the core competences of ArmA 2.

...we former OFP players...
Believe it or not many of us don't care about this modding stuff...

You do know that the main reason for OFP's longetivity was the "modding stuff"?

There were 2 attempts from a game devolper whichs name start with "C" to bring this experience to consoles, both failed epicly.

Believe it or not, sometimes there are things that just wont go together....ArmA 2 and consoles is such a case.

Because I for one don't want BIS to slow development on the PC (or the game overall), spend tons of money to re-develop/license the game, just to possibly sell a few hundred copies and not make any profit.

Fair point.. however! In order to grow you have to invest so actually money is irrelevant.. right?

I highly doubt that this game, at its CORE, on the consoles, could compete with the major titles.

Not necessarily. They have a brilliant COOP, which they have been expanding for years and this would do very VERY well on the console since COOP is highly demanded on the consoles.. max 12-16 players (console limit) is more then enough for this game..

It's obvious, the majority of console owners want mindless destruction at the cost of realism...look at the sales

True but this is mainly because the developers of (for instance) Call of Duty pushed their way into the gaming market with their arcade-style gameplay and by now we are used to it (especially on the consoles).. i honestly think there is plenty of room for ARMA on the consoles and with the proper tweaking here and there they would be easily able to compete with the rest..

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Myke;1904369']IMHO ArmA 2 never was well in these gametypes' date=' it's strong point is Coop, preferably large scale. Removing this aspect would mean to remove one of the core competences of ArmA 2.[/quote']

Back in the days this was the only thing the community was playing and yes the modding stuff added alot to the game but this modding community started after a few years which automatically extended the longetivity of the game. Coop is fun but you are forgetting that there's also a huge community that only wants to play PvP and the original OFP was one of the best in 2001-2004 with the CTF mode.

Myke;1904369']You do know that the main reason for OFP's longetivity was the "modding stuff"?

Also true but this is not helping BIA in the future getting back at the top will it?

Myke;1904369']There were 2 attempts from a game devolper whichs name start with "C" to bring this experience to consoles' date=' both failed epicly. Believe it or not, sometimes there are things that just wont go together....ArmA 2 and consoles is such a case.[/quote']

If BIA will continue with this theory they will eventually have to only develop games like VBS which is used by the actual Army? (and yes those games you refer to failed miserably)

Dust yourself off and try again!

The gameplay style wouldn't catch on. Most (notice I say most) console gamers are simple-minded kids, they will not want to spend time planning out how they will approach the mission, etc.

Most of them just want to turn on their Xbox/PS3 and kill stuff. CoD appeals to them because it gives them just that.

Codemasters failed so hard because they thought they could get gamers to adapt to their games. That's not the case. The gaming community decides what it wants to play, with the exception of some truly revolutionary games, all attempts by game developers to change the community have been failures.

The gameplay style wouldn't catch on. Most (notice I say most) console gamers are simple-minded kids

Where can we find the stats for that? And from what I know kids are not simple.

I just brought a PS3 and it cost me $670 bucks, but what a great little entertainment system, I could never play fps on consoles from day one but now Im thinking with a keyboard & mouse support it's probably a nice option.

Anyway I think most games for consoles are everything but shooters, lots of sports/racing and god of war type gaming

Where can we find the stats for that? And from what I know kids are not simple.

I just brought a PS3 and it cost me $670 bucks, but what a great little entertainment system, I could never play fps on consoles from day one but now Im thinking with a keyboard & mouse support it's probably a nice option.

Anyway I think most games for consoles are everything but shooters, lots of sports/racing and god of war type gaming

A teenage kid (typical console player) lacks the attention span to do an ArmA 2 mission. Which is why CoD is so appealing to him, most multiplayer maps aren't bigger than Chernogorsk and the single player campaign leads you by the hand. It's what people want, which is why it sells.

TBH, ArmA 2 would do better with the RPG/MMO crowd than FPS fans. The RPG aspects such as Warfare Mode and the multi-ending campaign would be embraced by people who play such games most.

Not by kids who just want to do this:

pVrF4ArZ4qM

a down-scaled version would not necessarily mean the game would be worse.. Believe it or not many of us don't care about this modding stuff or having less controls..

Bohemia stated months ago that they would not be satisfied with the results

if they did.

Thats the difference between Bohemia and most of the AAA studios

Bohemia wants to create a work of art they can be proud of and not just

pump out some stripped down, gutted junk to make a few sales.

The fact is that if BIS ported it over to consoles and kept the core elements (ballistics, recoil, movement, etc.) it's still a niche market; then look how many of those survive on consoles. I mean on the first day, just think of how many threads about "this game doesn't have physics/ragdoll!!" there would be.

I'm all for BIS making some extra money, and if they think they can pull off a decent port, then more power to them. But BIS is a small company, and I don't want them to delay further development on the PC.

The fact is that if BIS ported it over to consoles and kept the core elements (ballistics, recoil, movement, etc.) it's still a niche market; then look how many of those survive on consoles. I mean on the first day, just think of how many threads about "this game doesn't have physics/ragdoll!!" there would be.

I'm all for BIS making some extra money, and if they think they can pull off a decent port, then more power to them. But BIS is a small company, and I don't want them to delay further development on the PC.

how I understand your point of view:

if BI actually made "lite"/Full/Full moddable armaverse versions on consoles, this for sure would bring money in, expand overall gamer interests, but what will be the downside of this?

#1 and most important, it would do quite a LARGE damage to allready desperatly low PC gaming(in any point of view), since armaverse is the kind of those "1 in a life time with quantum leap in everything", that's why it would do large damage.

#2 another important is - THE ATTITUDE to serious games, does console guys have it?

#3 the effort to degrade product("lite"/full non modable versions) would cause some really unpleasant fights between PC(full modable)-console(limited versions) players, wait, what about controls too? how to map all those keys to your console controler? whaaaat? another "lite" version just to control your yet to be rookie character? so there we have another troublesome point of PC vs. console players.

#4 consoles, really? not enough hdd space, focus on mainly GPUs (thx to the tendency of shooter games), consoles would need at least HUGE leap in driver updates (PC too), but most probably new consoles built just for arma CPU verse :P

#5 as i have fallen for OFP back in the day when i played it's demo and saw what PC gaming is all about, now my major concern is to keep PC gaming alive ( since you guys, got your ofp:elite, saw how amazing it is/was and now want the same with arma, but sadly, you don't care about PCs... )

Is it worth it? Make your decision...

I made mine long ago, even before i started hating consoles.

EDIT

OFP:ELITE is the best version of ofp you can play today.

you wish... best version of ofp was released on 2001 and called CWC; later on 2003 best expansion for best version of ofp was released, both on PC and going strong with new names.

and also, date yourself back to those days, think of the "maschines" and "rival" games involved in those periouds. jizz in ma pants...

P.S. just few thoughts about this.

Edited by Gedis

Also, Disk space must be considered for the 360, ArmA2 and OA would not fit on one disk, so you'd have to split it to 2 or more disks.

:yeahthat:

and consoles are crappy wanna-be computers

would be no mods/addons

smaller online games

if it had a mission editor it would not be as easy as the pc one

graphics would suck

and if it was on console more of those damned cod kids would buy it and then complain cos' they got killed when the got shot 50 times and there's no killstreaks

i hate consoles

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

no, cwc

Edited by ArmAriffic

no, cwc

Nope, Elite, own both and played both to hell.

CWC has the advantage of mods but the vanilla game Elite all the way.

Its a shame they never ported Elite back to PC, now that would be awesome.

Nope, Elite, own both and played both to hell.

CWC has the advantage of mods but the vanilla game Elite all the way.

Its a shame they never ported Elite back to PC, now that would be awesome.

Just curious why? Never played and think it's interesting that a BI game would play out better on a console.

Just curious why? Never played and think it's interesting that a BI game would play out better on a console.

Elite was kinda CWC 1.5 (forget the fact CWC was patched to 1.9 something lol)

Better graphics (bar the draw distance)

Better models

Better AI

Some other changes like refinments to the maps.

I think it was running on the ARMA engine too.

The only thing that let it down was the crappy resolution image from the standard definition era and the crappy draw distance. Both those things would be fixed if it was ported back to PC.

From what I remember (can be wrong):

Armed assault was from the beginning a project to port Elite to PC as OFP 1.5 while we were waiting for arma2. Then that project took off and it came a game of its own.

* What do you all think of the idea of porting a version of ArmA to the consoles, much like what happened with OFP:Elite, Do you think it would be a good thing. Or not worth the time/effort?

* Can anyone see any problems with having a version of ArmA ported to a console version? (Hardware, Gameplay, or other problems)

* If ArmA did get released for PS3 or XBOX, would you buy it?

ad 1 ) Arma on console ? but sense of Arma for some people are addons, mission editor

if someone play on MP with default stuff maybe... but many love mods (it differs BIS products from rest, like Mission Editor too)

ad 2 ) i am not coder, i have no idea but i cannot imagine BIS games without Mission Editor and addons

ad 3) i don't have console, i like PC games because they are more complicated

Arma on console will lost half of it's power - mods , addons, custom missions, your own missions in editor

look at good old RTCW, Max Payne1 , how much mods it had, how much custom maps, missions etc.

Tbh, the OP mentioned somewhere before that he doesn't have a good PC to play ArmA on which is why he plays consoles.

So I guess, instead of getting a better PC, he's trying to get Bohemia to make a console version.