Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Introducing Take On Helicopters by Bohemia Interactive

Well... OK. I think I'm going to stop posting suggestions, because they obviously have the situation well in hand.

Hehe, I thought exactly the same.

Thanks for news!

Well... OK. I think I'm going to stop posting suggestions, because they obviously have the situation well in hand.

but what we will then grin over :D:eek::bounce3:

Seeing how there's talk of implementing head movement, I'd suggest (if it isn't already the case) the simple solution of having the pilot move his head to the direction he's looking at: if you look left, your head will go with the ride, so that simply looking back will have your head stick to the glass or out of the cockpit to let you see what's behind you, and same thing when looking down.

Good translation, Deadfast!

never thought I'd see the day that I'd be so hyped for a helicopter game.

This. :D

Please, please BIS, do like Eagle Dynamics : release a beta version for those who will pre-purchase the game.

After 3 years you still often hear people saying ArmA is badly optimised and full of bugs. Most of those guys never actually played the game and are stuck with feedbacks other peoples made few years ago.

But this impression stick to ArmA. When you're browsing others games forums and see someone talking about ArmA people always answer : "ArmA ? tsss, this game is full of bugs and you need a NASA computer to play it"

And you can tell this is absolutely false, that many patches have released and so on, it's just too late, evil is done and in the mind of many people ArmA is just a bugfest.

Your luck with ArmA is the strong community backing it up and the lack of any serious competitor. TOH will be a new game and the entire ArmA community will probably not get it, you're also entering a new genre with more competitor and more experienced players so please BIS, don't do the same mistakes !

ps : sorry for the local english

Thanks for the translation, Deadfast!

Lots of nice sounding features in there, such as the advanced damage model, higher view distance and proper volumetric clouds. Also, there's this part:

The terrain detail of the Seattle map is two times less detailed than Chernarus from ArmA 2,

(...)

A higher amount of detail will be present only in the area surrounding your base where you can walk around.

Did I interpret this correctly? If so, it sounds like BIS have upgraded their terrain technology to enable variable terrain grid resolution in a single map. How awesome is that? Once again, I see great possibilities for a future successor to Arma2, with large open areas that have a low terrain resolution and some interspersed places with higher resolution.

Well, it is not clear in the original either. Could just mean that there are more trees, buildings, etc. placed there.

Picture in Picture (render to texture):

takeonhelicoptersscore3.jpg

:yay:

Thank you Deadfast, that article was very clarifier.

Thank you for this article :)

I'm very excited right now.

The helicopter models aren’t licensed but you will definitely be able to tell that they are based on real-life counterparts.

With this said, I think modders should start to work their model conversion pack now:p

Edited by 4 IN 1

Okay I'll start working on my 60K poly apache's.

Though on the subject I find myself wondering to what extent military helicopters could be of use in a game like this, in Arma2 it's worth it all and makes sense because all of the elements you need are at play.

But would an attack helicopter be as useful as say one in FSX? I know TOH isn't being made for that but the modability or including a basic feature of more than just infantry for an opposing force may not be a bad idea..

Flight simulator is one of the dominating flight sims, however military helicopters are just for show, they can't do anything.

Eagle Dynamics LOMAC and DCS games are great flight sims as well but they only take advantage of the military aspect.

Edited by NodUnit

but what we will then grin over :D:eek::bounce3:

You could always prod me with updates and then grin at my reaction.

Edited by nightsta1ker

From Take on Helicopters' facebook page http://www.facebook.com/TakeOnTheGame

Mirrors!

Today we configured working mirrors for one of our choppers, part of a number of improvements to the overall cockpit experience.

With luck, you should get a chance to see it see it in action soon! But, for now, content thy selves with a still image of our WIP cockpit...

p.s. Those pedals? That collective pitch control? They work too ;)

mirroru.jpg

original version http://takeonthegame.com/socialmedia/MIRROR.jpg

Nice! :)

Edited by BoboCZ

There is some bad low textures in that cockpit, will it be better?.

Not complaining but would like to see high res textures all inside.

There is some bad low textures in that cockpit, will it be better?.

Not complaining but would like to see high res textures all inside.

It's still WIP, we'll see.

... But, for now, content thy selves with a still image of our WIP cockpit...

I really hoped for working mirrors. BIS You rock!

Sam

This is looking very promising. BIS is accomplishing things the flight simulator community has not been able to due to limitations of the platform. This clean slate approach may be the best thing that has ever happened for the helicopter sim community. Also, depending on the level of success, a follow on full blown simulator might not just be possible, but plausible and marketable as well. One thing is certain, if BIS can accurately model helicopter flight physics, fixed wing will be easy. And the dynamic world of the ArmA series (which is obviously being carried over to TOH to some extent) gives all of this endless potential.

And by the time they try to make all the stuff into future ArmA X they will find that player will need a super computer to play that game:p

Low-res cockpits can mean only one thing - texture space is reserved for something else... like exploding tanks. Take On Copters appears to be some sort of covert development of new flight physics for ArmA. :cc:

New facebook post http://www.facebook.com/TakeOnTheGame

Memory!

Here's a sneaky peek of an image from an upcoming interview, which talks about modelling in a little more detail.

What you can see are 'memory points', which are an important part of linking together our animations with the in-game content.

...You might just be able to spot a selection of the actions that the memory points are linked too ;)

memorya.jpg

original image http://takeonthegame.com/socialmedia/MEMORY.jpg

I wonder more about animation. What kind of interview, BI one? I mean like developer's blog interview. If so, BI could ask them self or to clarify if animation will be "only" improved Arma animation (it will be ok for TOH), or something like in GTA4 or Mafia II (don't know name for it)?

Edited by BoboCZ

I can hardly beleive that I will be able to preflight the helicopter before going on a job. This is the real deal guys. Hopefully it will be optional and a quick affair though, for the non hardcore simmers. I sometimes spend more time looking over the aircraft than I do actually flying it. As they say, "Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory".

Some unexpected stuff in that memory LOD pic, for example references to oil temperature and pressure gauges. Btw. does anyone know what TOT could mean?