Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA release candidate build 78473

Animation changes opinions  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Animation changes opinions

• Like the animation changes?
    • Dislike the animation changes? (post which, why please)

The game needs this in my opinion, the animations have been clunky since release, good job.

The game needs this in my opinion, the animations have been clunky since release, good job.

The so called "reality" is clunky, so why should the simulation of it not be?

The so called "reality is slower too, so why should the so called Simulation be faster?

I can onlyx remeber the handling of military gear as clunky as hell...medium MG and AT Launchers are far from handy and reloading both of them is a cumbersom thing you CAN NOT DO while running or in just 3 seconds. Both kinds of weapons are support weapons and need time for preparation to be used to effect.

Switching to a secondary weapons like a laucher and back in 1,5 seconds is pure fiction...you better accompany this to a nice and futuristic switching sound.

Edited by Beagle

If there is anything that needs to be fixed animation-wise, as others have said, it's with transitions and being able to cancel animations. Also things like being able to move past a dead AI. Currently if you kill an AI, his body becomes a solid barrier you can't move past for a few seconds. Annoying if he was in a doorway or something and you can't get by him.

There is also a bug sometimes when you stand up or crouch while holding an AT launcher. You hit the stand up or crouch key and your character first switches back to his rifle, performs the up/down movement, then re-equips the launcher. Dangerous, to say the least.

Although some animations do require speeding up, such as drawing a pistol and throwing a grenade with pistol drawn.

Couple of things I thought I would just throw in as this is nearing release ..

Is it normal to have your team is safe mode weapons down on patrol, and if you as the leader start to run, they dont run with you? I noticed (I have to say the is the beta before this one) that I started to run only to find my team way behind, taking ages to understand to run with me. Can anyone simply test that and see if its wrong still, just set all team to safe, walk for a while then just start running, do they stay back and not run?

Also, something I always noticed, if your lower your weapon (for me double tap CTRL) and then crouch, when you raise your weapon (again CTRL double tap) I move to standing position, then I have to do it again and then the weapon raises, I dont have anything else assigned, but as of now if I lower weapon and raise it in a crouched position I will always stand up first (which is dodgy if I have spotted enemy crouched with cover and just want to raise weapon to use scope).

Can anyone clarify that at all?

This is great.The best what could happen to this game for the PVP scene.

Checked it out last night and it isnt so much faster than many people are saying.Good job.

the game has lost a lot player because of its bad animation since Arma.

And why not implement it into the main menu of the game ??everybody can choose it for himself.or it will be adjusted on the server..

I absolutely dislike the new animation speed. It's like commanding ants and spiders. It's looks absolutely unhuman and displaced. Im suddently alienated by the ArmA world just by lookingn at A.I. or my player character. And I find no real benefit in the fast anim speed exept that changing stance or weapons is faster, but looks extremely robotic and absolutely unreal.

This seems to be aimed at "speed gamer" that doe not care for a natural look of the virtuel world in, where just speeds counts. It was o.k. as it was, just my opinion.

It's a real step back in the animations department.

+1 :);)

EDIT: To add my humble opinion. Instead of mis-tweaking something that was "Ok" in the first place, how about fixing the countless and countless well documented Animation-Bugs in the engine or the countless of other lame things in the engine since OFP? Just look at the Dev-Heaven Community-Issue-Tracker ;-) I'd rather have spent time on these bugs instead wasting it for something literally no-one wants to have. ;-)

Edited by mr.g-c

Judging from the videos,I would rather not see these new animations in the official 1.58 cause AIs movement looks more clumsy.

Or at least see them significantly toned down.

These clumsy animations are in fact old animations (which many of people who replied here do not consider them as such). They are only speeded up.

+1 :);)

EDIT: To add my humble opinion. Instead of mis-tweaking something that was "Ok" in the first place, how about fixing the countless and countless well documented Animation-Bugs in the engine or the countless of other lame things in the engine since OFP? Just look at the Dev-Heaven Community-Issue-Tracker ;-) I'd rather have spent time on these bugs instead wasting it for something literally no-one wants to have. ;-)

So the PVP scene and all those that play this game in any other mode than against AI/NPCs are "literally no-one"? Thats quite insulting bud.

It was those same PVP players that kept the original OFP afloat cos that was a game that satisfied everyone.

I agree that bugs need fixed but it seems that the PVP community (small as it is) is being misrepresented in here by those that cant seem to handle the pace that a real player can offer and prefer to shoot at predictable (and quite frankly useless) AI.

This new update has both improved animations and better AI. Should you guys not welcome this?

Cuddles

DM

Dedicated PVP player

And of aye, I also play some COD and BF (never competitively) however, neither come close to what OFP and Arma2 offer

The animations aren't improved, they're just sped up. They're the same animations as before.

So the PVP scene and all those that play this game in any other mode than against AI/NPCs are "literally no-one"? Thats quite insulting bud.

It was those same PVP players that kept the original OFP afloat cos that was a game that satisfied everyone.

I agree that bugs need fixed but it seems that the PVP community (small as it is) is being misrepresented in here by those that cant seem to handle the pace that a real player can offer and prefer to shoot at predictable (and quite frankly useless) AI.

This new update has both improved animations and better AI. Should you guys not welcome this?

Cuddles

DM

Dedicated PVP player

And of aye, I also play some COD and BF (never competitively) however, neither come close to what OFP and Arma2 offer

A misimplemented "fix" is not helping anyone. Like it has been stated, the problem never was the animation speeds (maybe there were a few specific animations that were slightly too slow), but buggy or incomplete transition states. Speeding them up doesn't fix the problem it just makes it seem slightly less severe.

And btw, the PvP community is not soley responsible for OFP's longevity. Were it not for the diligent mod comminity a lot of people would probably have moved on.

Edited by Big Dawg KS

I don't like the new animations. Yes, current animations are really clunky and movement feels so stiff like the games from 90's, but ArmA 2 is based on current animations. Speeding them up 2x after 2 years from release is a really amateur solution. It looks ridiculous.

Either introduce a better animation system with an expansion, or save the "improvements" for the next game.

I dont think that its cost-efficient for BIS to make + replace current animations/transitions with some better + more authentic ones in a new patch.

I just guess that BIS simply tried to please some avid pvp players and now A2OA RC is screwed up for the rest.

Solution A: get back to latest speed which was ok for most players and release a new RC (to test other things in the wild)

Solution B: adjust and tune the settings again + release another RC to test them again

Solution C: don't do anything but announce a new + authentic milsim in the next days or week.

Or ...

BIS make a "PVP Anim speed setting" server option which dynamicly switches the speed options under PVP modes, but im guessing that cannot be done, so ....

Take note of this for future updates or even new engine ideas ... then leave it how it is and PVP (or anyone liking different settings) will have to use addons "for now" :) Maybe BIS could back an addon to be packaged as "PVP Speed MOD" to distribute to those servers :)

I think to speed up animations for every scenario this game uses only to have maximum effect for 1 game style of MP mode isn't the best way at all, it should only be switch-able and never fixed.

Edited by mrcash2009

I don't like the new animations. Yes, current animations are really clunky and movement feels so stiff like the games from 90's, but ArmA 2 is based on current animations. Speeding them up 2x after 2 years from release is a really amateur solution. It looks ridiculous.

Either introduce a better animation system with an expansion, or save the "improvements" for the next game.

I agree! That said, I think like mentioned several times, it is fine to speed up a few selected animations, but in general don't mess with the speeds within the current system. It will create more annoyance than help.

Instead of spending all this energy on animations, why not look into some of the more gameplay related bugs and game balance issues that persist to this day? There are some real gems out there that would also make PvP players really happy, if they would get fixed!

Some starters:

Prevent locking obscured targets at extreme distances

All SACLOS missile range too short

Certain missiles lack manual guidance

Takistan: Some cars can drive faster off-road than on roads

Bullets lose too much damage over distance

Aircraft countermeasures too effective

AI warping over distance

Implement single use AT weapons

Hard/impossible to suppress AI fire and movement

Unable to traverse turret with engine off

Improve AI rules of engagement to include more sanity

All weapons with thermal scopes should be treated as heavy weapons, preventing to equip AT launchers alongside

Always require to reload AT weapons first after selecting them (very important in case those animations remain sped up!!!)

Some animation specific ones:

Player movement/collision issues

Player cannot "lower" handgun/launchers

Also:

Add more unit variety for all factions with texture variants of existing assets (perhaps as DLC?)

To be honest, we have been dragggin some of that stuff around with us for far too long and there are plenty more examples in the bug tracker that deserve attention as well!

Edited by Nyles

I would change completely redo all the animations, all new and more faster :)

And btw, the PvP community is not solely responsible for OFP's longevity. Were it not for the diligent mod community a lot of people would probably have moved on.

Sorry bud, poor choice of words, didnt mean we were the only folk keeping the flame alive, we just deserve more recognition than we seem to be given here.

One thing to consider if investigating the use of mods, as soon as you add mods to PVP servers, all our cheat and hack checks needs to be much better which given the proliferation of cheating bastids around is not an optimal solution.

As for a server setting for the new anims for PVP play, I heard someone say this is not possible, can we get confirmation of that please? Cos if we did have such a "switch" to flick, all parties would be happy (relatively speaking that is).

As for a server setting for the new anims for PVP play, I heard someone say this is not possible, can we get confirmation of that please? Cos if we did have such a "switch" to flick, all parties would be happy (relatively speaking that is).

It is impossible to have a server settings which would allow to modify .cpp files located in .pbos.

BUT, it is more that possible to create a PVP mod that would change the speed of certain anims. With proper signed files, (and require it via mission) it is very easy to keep track of what its allowed and what not.

I am looking forward to seeing the stronger signed files in play

Sorry bud, poor choice of words, didnt mean we were the only folk keeping the flame alive, we just deserve more recognition than we seem to be given here.

I don't think anyone here even remotely has problems with those who play PvP. At the same time, a select group of people's needs should not drive how speeds are set in Arma 2 - this game is a simulation and movement should be as realistic as possible. As I said in an earlier post, some animations could use a bit of tweaking but these RC speeds are wrong. The solution would be to rework transitions and some of the animations to be closer to real-life movements.

If that's too expensive, I'd much rather just keep the old ones and have the BIS devs focus on more important things.

Instead of spending all this energy on animations, why not look into some of the more gameplay related bugs and game balance issues that persist to this day? There are some real gems out there that would also make PvP players really happy, if they would get fixed!

+1 fully agree

I really don't like this.

The animations have been in desperate need of work for a long time, certain ones in particular. I get that. But giving all the soldiers a dose of speed with their breakfast cereal is not the solution. The animations need to be more smooth and logical, not just faster. The worst offenders really ought to be binned and re-done rather than tweaked. I shouldn't be able to accidentally get locked in a long animation. I also agree with more than a few people above: if this isn't going to be done right, there are a lot of less labour intensive issues that could use fixing.

Oh dear me. The AT weapon switch should be SLOWER not faster. I can live with the pistol and grenade animations, but the stance changes should be slowed down 50% of the way to where it was.

the only thing i realy like about the redone animations is the slightly slower jogging and running in crouched stance :yay:

this 300% speed up of the other animations must be a early april joke i hope.

edit: whats so special about being a pvp player and why do you need faster animations? i play 50% pvp and 50% against ai (as most of the armaholics do i guess) and i can see no point why i should have 300% faster animations in pvp? especially a tank-commander will have a hard time in pvp with 1.58...

Edited by der.hannes

the only thing i realy like about the redone animations is the slightly slower jogging and running in crouched stance :yay:

this 300% speed up of the other animations must be a early april joke i hope.

edit: whats so special about being a pvp player and why do you need faster animations? i play 50% pvp and 50% against ai (as most of the armaholics do i guess) and i can see no point why i should have 300% faster animations in pvp? especially a tank-commander will have a hard time in pvp with 1.58...

There is nothing special about PVP players other than they like to play actual people not AI.

With AI, they tend to react in "known" ways, i.e. a shot to the front of a group is likely to send them either running forward a few yards or all go to ground. Due to this predictable behaviour it can be said that playing against AI can be easier to confirm tactics.

Playing against humans is much more unpredictable, each player plays differently and thus reacts differently to each set of circumstances.

Also, when playing humans, not only do you need to be able to react to the situations a bit quicker (cos the reactions are mostly unpredictable) you also have to be a quicker player. The animations of this game have seriously impaired the PVP community and its ability to get the most from this game and now we have a chance to get a long awaited improvement to the game, we are, needless to say, quite keen to see this implemented.

Now, one style of gameplay is NOT any better than another, there is no ONE TRUE style of playing this game, it can suit everyone.

Personally, I dont use 3rd person, EVER, so the way the animations "look" are pretty unimportant to me. What I look for is the correct speed and no glitches, ie getting caught in the step over animation causes you to glide, or leaning round a building causes you to slide out past the building into the open.

The animations as they are do need improving, the devs are unlikely to get it right 1st time, so there is likely that there will be a period of "bedding in" while fine tuning occurs.

I also agree that the new animations are not perfect, but they are better than we have at the moment and its good to see that the PVP community gets a long awaited fix implemented.

Well done BIS for taking the animations into account (even if this release isnt perfect)

Cuddles

DM

This is not (or should not be) about P-v-P or Co-op, I much prefer adversarial games myself but that doesn't mean I want to see authenticity or visual fidelity compromised in this fashion. And in the name of what? So you got caught dead to rights by an opponent who's playing within exactly the same parameters that you are, I guess he positioned himself with more forethought and vision or was working closer with his teammates, that happens in real life - more often than not. Advocates seem to want the opportunity to Action Man their way out of such trouble, there are plenty of shooters that ignore realism in pursuit of that type of forgiving gameplay, why does ArmA need to be one also? Simulation of the real world should be the only yardstick and the movement speeds were, for the most part, already too rapid. As said, fix the glitches, work on making anims more interruptible but don't undermine the veracity of the simulation, it's precisely why we're all here.