Sign in to follow this  
Fireball

Insurgency

Hello everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that I've adopted Insurgency, kindly put to disposal by pogoman, as my project.

Currently I have a project space set up at DevHeaven and will start taking feature requests and bug tickets there.

Current version Arma 3: 0.90 A3

Current version Arma 2 OA: 1.50

Legacy version Arma 2: 1.00

- Fireball & Kol9yN

--------

Project Details

Mission available at

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/insurgency/files

(scroll to the bottom for A3 version)

For improvements and fixes, please see the roadmap at:

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/insurgency/roadmap

Please feel free to post your suggestions here or, better even, file a ticket on DevHeaven in the project issue tracker.

As you can see, it took me quite a while to get ahead, but with the major problems (in terms of code) fixed, I can move on to improve the overall mission and take upon feature requests.

Next major step will aim at portability towards other maps. I will try to single out code, which applies to specific maps, so that the mission is easily ported.

If anyone is a good banner designer:

The project needs a catchy banner for the project home and for anyone to put into their signature who love Insurgency!

Insurgency Project Home

Edited by Fireball

Nice mate. There are a few others doing the same as well. Should be nice to see the different flavors of insurgency coming out soon.

Insurgencies are "it" nowadays. It is very rare that standing armies fight each other anymore, which is probably a good thing (from the standpoint of many wars being of lower-intensity as a result). Plus it is so much more cost-effective to fight wars by proxy - fund a bunch of rag-tags to bog down your enemies.

Edited by MissionCreep

Great to hear that! Thank you for taking over of this excellent mission made by pogoman and investing your knowledge and work. :yay:

i am probably going to look stupid in saying this, but is this the one based on ofp "tonal insurgency?" Damn i loved that campaign, for me it was the only time in operation flashpoint where i felt it was a completely different game.

Edited by Archamedes

Insurgency is based off the gamemode created by the Project Reality team.

Original Thread HERE

Thanks Fireball

Good news, I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

There's several Insurgency variations with different names, version numbers and bug-fixes after 0.72 already, some apparently unpublished, so it'll be interesting to see how they all play out. Big fan of Insurgency though and appreciate any more work on this mission or variations. Cheers Fireball.

FYI (for development context), here is an Insurgency Guide I published this morning.

Edited by Swedge
Added link to Insurgency Guide

Just out of interest do you have any plans to figure out why it seems not to be working with ACE (I am assuming it works without ACE, I haven't had much time to test, it did seem to stop working after the latest ArmA patch was released)?

AI inf seems to fail to spawn which is a shame as its a great mission, and was really fun to play with all the stuff ACE adds for the brief period of time it worked.

Just out of interest do you have any plans to figure out why it seems not to be working with ACE (I am assuming it works without ACE, I haven't had much time to test, it did seem to stop working after the latest ArmA patch was released)?

AI inf seems to fail to spawn which is a shame as its a great mission, and was really fun to play with all the stuff ACE adds for the brief period of time it worked.

It still works with ACE. If you let me know which map you want, I can send you a version of ACE Insurgency that works.

Interesting, every time I have tried with ACE so far no AI has spawned. (At first I thought my modifications to add the ACE weapons were causing it, so I tried without any modifications and it still didn't work :\)

If you do have a working version of it, the Zagarbad and Takistan versions would be great to have.

Edit:

I just had a thought, I think I might have been running Zeus AI as well. I'll have to check later.

Edited by Jsmuk

could you make it so that any progress in the mission is saveable?

me and a mate play it on our own and would love to be able to save our progress

cheers

Yes, I'm aware, that there are many versions about and many of them just lying around on some server or even kept private. All of them don't really help and don't contribute to improvement over-all, because they're mostly tweaking around stuff in the ugly code it already is - expanding that code doesn't make it readable or makes it even less possible to support it further.

I just got to read the many replies now, as I just became father during the last two days. I assumed there is still time for me to do what I intended, but only time will show if I was true about it. :bounce3:

I already cleared up quite some code, i.e. move global variables to one place, try to replace some of it with local variables and/or passing arguments to functions, but I'm not done there and will try to replace things from the "main loops", which will require a lot of coding which may change absolute NOTHING to game play.

Of course I already started to look at major issues, which are comparably easy to fix, like e.g. the freezing controls at the end.

Congrats on fatherhood Fireball !

Spend some of your sleepless nights coding :)

Good luck on the project!

I noticed the same thing recently and have been doing some tests with 1 human Blufor (myself).

Start vanilla Insurgency (ie with no ACE). Go to the closest red grid-squares. About 90% of the time these will contain at least 2 or more Insurgents. The action kicks off quickly and in no time you are in the thick of it and collecting briefcases.

Start Insurgency with ACE mods (but no changes to any of the Insurgency mission code). Go to the closest red grid-squares. Only about 20% of the time you will find any Insurgents. The rest of the time you can sometimes stroll through an entire town without seeing or being shot at by any Insurgents (except for the usual fixed-position crew-served-weapons on rooftops). With ACE, the starting 1 human blufor player at start will quickly get bored and have little to do. So the server often wont get the momentum needed to start getting players joining and the server filling up.

There are other ACE bugs but none of them seem as important to me as this one, so if anyone has any ideas or solutions I'm happy to assist with testing etc. Thank you.

I noticed the same thing recently and have been doing some tests with 1 human Blufor (myself).

Start vanilla Insurgency (ie with no ACE). Go to the closest red grid-squares. About 90% of the time these will contain at least 2 or more Insurgents. The action kicks off quickly and in no time you are in the thick of it and collecting briefcases.

Start Insurgency with ACE mods (but no changes to any of the Insurgency mission code). Go to the closest red grid-squares. Only about 20% of the time you will find any Insurgents. The rest of the time you can sometimes stroll through an entire town without seeing or being shot at by any Insurgents (except for the usual fixed-position crew-served-weapons on rooftops). With ACE, the starting 1 human blufor player at start will quickly get bored and have little to do. So the server often wont get the momentum needed to start getting players joining and the server filling up.

There are other ACE bugs but none of them seem as important to me as this one, so if anyone has any ideas or solutions I'm happy to assist with testing etc. Thank you.

Start it in debugging mode and you should see all the AI, AI Static Weapons and Cache's spawning. I can confirm it works with ACE, or at least on the one we play. We also use Zues AI so that may be causing us not to see the change you see.

If you are playing on the newer Fallujah map, some of the houses changed and their not spawning from one of the major houses used in the city and appear to be "thin" in some areas.

**Edit**

Sorry I forgot to look, but our AI Spawned per player is different than vanilla Insurgency. I think that may be the reason ours doesn't look like what you are seeing.

After further testing, you are right, Takistan spawns zero AI. Lingor, ToraBora, and Fallujah all test ok for me and ACE.

Edited by sowens

Start it in debugging mode and you should see all the AI, AI Static Weapons and Cache's spawning. I can confirm it works with ACE, or at least on the one we play. We also use Zues AI so that may be causing us not to see the change you see.

If you are playing on the newer Fallujah map, some of the houses changed and their not spawning from one of the major houses used in the city and appear to be "thin" in some areas.

**Edit**

Sorry I forgot to look, but our AI Spawned per player is different than vanilla Insurgency. I think that may be the reason ours doesn't look like what you are seeing.

After further testing, you are right, Takistan spawns zero AI. Lingor, ToraBora, and Fallujah all test ok for me and ACE.

Thanks Sowens.

Is there somewhere I could download ACE Insurgency versions for ToraBora and Fallujah?

For future reference, how do I start it in debugging mode? I Googled it but couldn't figure it out.

Thank you for your time.

sowens/pogoman: any chance to update Lingor Insurgency with Lingor Units?

edit: oops, sorry.

Edited by IceBreakr

sowens/pogoman: any chance to update Lingor Insurgency with Lingor Units?

This isn't my thread :D but yes.

Howdy,

I'm interested in implementing similar AI to what this mission has, but I'm unsure how it operates - you use UPS in some way? How are the insurgents placed in the buildings, yet some still attack as normal? It's very efficient and lovely :p

I've voted Insurgency for the Community Awards. Reason? Because it cut down a bit of the Domination-domination ;)

I've voted Insurgency for the Community Awards. Reason? Because it cut down a bit of the Domination-domination ;)

After playing it for the first time last week, and many times since then, I would have to agree with you.

Howdy,

I'm interested in implementing similar AI to what this mission has, but I'm unsure how it operates - you use UPS in some way? How are the insurgents placed in the buildings, yet some still attack as normal? It's very efficient and lovely :p

I just analyzed now placement works in the mission and roughly put, it checks for buildings which can be entered e.g. those with X or more spawn positions are applicable.

Then it uses some randomization to decide when an AI gets spawned (based on players within a radius) and it makes sure the building currently can't be seen by the player, so the player doesn't see AIs popping up. Then it also gives the AIs some order to move, so they "look alive". It also makes sure by radius checks, that they don't stack within the same house/spot.

Then, when the player goes out of range, then the AI despawns.

Been playing this game mode and I'm loving it. I never liked the Domination maps or any of those. I really like the smaller coop missions.