Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: Private Military Company 1.00 released

I've only played the first few missions so far, but we've been side by side and back to back the whole time. Part of the same fire team doing the same thing.

Thanks, thats good news at least for the first 2 missions.

Wondering if anyone has gone further in coop?

I, for one, was pleasantly surprised by the PMC campaign, where originally I bought the preorder bundle for the sake of getting BAF, with PMC as a discounted side bonus. Thought I was gonna rip right through PMC, then jump to BAF main course (which I will), but the PMC stands on its own as a good experience. It presents a new perspective of armed conflict (the seedier and cynical side, which to me is always a part of any armed conflict), as well as put you in situations where as an individual you have less control, and have to make the most of whatever role you are stuck with (you can't just push the other dude aside to be the driver whenever the heck you want, for example). There are some mission design ideas that are new compared to past campaigns, while still requiring one to be tactical to stay alive. Even if it does pull a "CoD" (which I don't think it did), it don't matter, cuz that would only be one of many ways Arma 2 can be played. I don't think PMC is there to represent entire Arma 2, but it is there to showcase one aspect of it. So while the open-ended style of Harvest Red is still my favorite, its good to see that Arma 2 can also deliver a much different experience if it chooses to.

While I'm not going to discount your opinions - they're certainly yours to express - I think you cannot come to a considered judgement until after you play the campaign - the central plank of this DLC. This is, of course, notwithstanding the 'new dubbing' (scottish, american and australian protocol), vehicles, weapons, environment, and, ofcourse, the lite version.

It offers the the same number of missions as the totality of BAF playable content. Its also much more challenging to make a thought-through campaign, with real improvements to character-depth, voice-acting, and story at the heart of our content.

Furthermore, it has been designed in such a way that makes each mission as atomic as possible, offering replay-value to players without the heavier-weight narrative exposition (moved to the skipable cut-scenes whereever possible).

I hope you continue to explore what is on offer, and keep an open mind in terms of the content on offer. ;)

Well I forgot to say that hopefully the campaign will make up for the rest of the contents. I just didn't have the time to play with that yet. Of course opinions are opinions and can be changed, my opinion is still it's a quite good DLC for the price compared to other games' DLCs, and I don't regret I bought it. But compared to BAF, it just couldn't catch up with that, but contentwise, never worse than PMC DLC. Hopefully after I can play the campaign, my opinion will change.

I've got a really weird problem with this campaign. First I couldn't load a save point using ACE, so I took off my addons and only used a sound addon, but now when I start the campaign I can hear everything but the AI speaking.

I don't even get any text from them?

What's going on?

Like to use the new GPS you'd use:

["[color="Red"]ca\missions_pmc\data\ui_gps_ca.paa[/color]",-0.05,0.16] call bis_fnc_customGPS;

or to use a loading screen from the main campaign you'd use:

#define LOADSCREEN "[color="Red"]\CA\Missions_e\campaign\missions\CE6_EyeOfTheHurricane.Zargabad\img\loading07_co.paa[/color]"

So we'll have to find some way of getting the paths right, but you can reference main game files without having them in the mission file itself.

Haven't tried the GPS, or using defines, but yes, I use graphic elements from other parts of the game all the time without hazzle. But I haven't been able to reference in sound files from other parts of the game. I assume it's because sound files can't be used directly (no playsound "path\file.ogg" command, which wouldn't be helpful to me anyway since I want to control volume of it), but we have to create classes for them in description.ext.

I've got a really weird problem with this campaign. First I couldn't load a save point using ACE, so I took off my addons and only used a sound addon, but now when I start the campaign I can hear everything but the AI speaking.

I don't even get any text from them?

What's going on?

We have known issues caused by mods; more analysis is in progress by 'top men'.

At this stage, I'd suggest vanilla arma is your best bet, until we have more information about (the unsurprisingly large) number of potential conflicts.

RiE

Is it just me or does every single unit have a freaking balaclava? It so bad looking...

Is it just me or does every single unit have a freaking balaclava? It so bad looking...

I haven't seen any unless I'm totally confused by what a balaclava is?

We have known issues caused by mods; more analysis is in progress by 'top men'.

At this stage, I'd suggest vanilla arma is your best bet, until we have more information about (the unsurprisingly large) number of potential conflicts.

RiE

Thanks for your reply.

Right, now I'm using purely Vanilla ARMA2 PLC and there are still no voices or text in the missions? :confused:

What the hell.

Every single unit, even special units have balaclavas.

Balaclavas are black face masks for those confused.

What the hell.

Every single unit, even special units have balaclavas.

Balaclavas are black face masks for those confused.

disable your @ninja_outfits modfolder.

Wut u smokin? Try just loading PMC, otherwise I'd say you put some PBOs in your default ArmA2 addon folder XD

Do you happen to mean the Takistani "Special Forces", Enad? In which case they are indeed covering their faces, but with black shemaghs, not balaclavas. :p

Enad what about supply screenshot ? so we understood it ...

way better than tons of words :)

I smell a troll.

Btw, nice easteregg in PMC05, guess we gonna see more Combat in the southern Parts of Proving Grounds ;)

I'm not trolling.

They all have masks.

arma2oa_2010_12_03_12_57_26_47.jpg

That's just 4 of them. The closest to me is Tanny....a special character.

I'm not trolling.

They all have masks.

arma2oa_2010_12_03_12_57_26_47.jpg

That's just 4 of them. The closest to me is Tanny....a special character.

lool thats must be somekind addon conflicting - try only clean game run - without any mod

Addon conflicting with official DLC...Fail.

Not like I have that many addons anyways.