Sign in to follow this  
danieljg

Headshot didn't kill an AI?

I was playing a defend this location challenge with the XM8 in the armoury mode. I shot an an enemy in a ghillie suit square in the head, clear as day, there was blood and everything, yet he didn't die. With a game like this that tries to be realistic and challenging surely shooting someone in the head should register correcty so as to not make an already frustrating game even worse?

Headshots do not always kill people. And it is possible you could have hit the ground around him and the ricochet hit him, that happens alot.

It just gets better. Was doing a nighttime steal the item mission with the CZ scoped rifle. There were four enemies guarding the item at a camp. I snuck up to one, couldn't have been more than 50m away from him, had his head exactly in my sights. Fired. Nothing. Didn't even flinch.

It just gets better. Was doing a nighttime steal the item mission with the CZ scoped rifle. There were four enemies guarding the item at a camp. I snuck up to one, couldn't have been more than 50m away from him, had his head exactly in my sights. Fired. Nothing. Didn't even flinch.
Having target in sight does'nt automatically mean you will hit...welcome to ArmAverse. Your shooting abilty depends on stance, stamina, breath hold and distance...or mabe you simply suffer from FADE beeing triggered.

With a decent full caliber (7,56x51 or 7,62x54R) rifle you should be able to do first shot kilks at 800m range, that works for me at least.

Edited by Ulanthorn

It could very well be that you weren't zeroed in on the distance he was at. If you're zeroed at 500m and he's at 50m you will not hit him. PageUp/Dwn is used to set the zeroing distance for sniper rifles

-OP

It could very well be that you weren't zeroed in on the distance he was at. If you're zeroed at 500m and he's at 50m you will not hit him. PageUp/Dwn is used to set the zeroing distance for sniper rifles

-OP

THIS.

sight_vs_bore_line_tmb.jpg

Having target in sight does'nt automatically mean you will hit...welcome to ArmAverse. Your shooting abilty depends on stance, stamina, breath hold and distance...or mabe you simply suffer from FADE beeing triggered.

With a decent full caliber (7,56x51 or 7,62x54R) rifle you should be able to do first shot kilks at 800m range, that works for me at least.

It isn't FADE, I'm using the Steam version.

-OP

PgUp/Down just changes my stance.

Maybe he was wearing a Kevlar helmet ;)

A bleeding kevelar helmet? He should have been out of the game, and not able to shoot back and kill me in an instant. Is there anywhere in the game where I can buy one of these helmets so I can stand a chance against these Terminators?

A bleeding kevelar helmet? He should have been out of the game, and not able to shoot back and kill me in an instant. Is there anywhere in the game where I can buy one of these helmets so I can stand a chance against these Terminators?
like in real life the power of a projectile is degrading very fast in ArmA2...thats why you might need 3 hits on a torso with small caliber rifles at range. If you hit some gear on the model it has no full effect. You can empty a full mag into a backback without a kill. the helmets dont really give much protection in ArmA.

Duh. It's a sniper rifle, meaning that the bullet is pitched well up to make it cross your sightline at long range. Your shot went high. If you were higher than your target it went even higher.

Headshots are always fatal in this game, unless there's some script lag that delays the death animation.

A problem with the blood spurt effect is more likely than a failure of the very simple hitpoint system.

I was playing a defend this location challenge with the XM8 in the armoury mode. I shot an an enemy in a ghillie suit square in the head, clear as day, there was blood and everything, yet he didn't die. With a game like this that tries to be realistic and challenging surely shooting someone in the head should register correcty so as to not make an already frustrating game even worse?

Hi danieljg

Please provide a video of what you are doing. Just set up the same situation in the editor and repeat what you did. There is a free-be version of FRAPS you can use to record your experiment. Then just post it on youtube.

Because frankly, like everyone else on the board, I am finding it hard to believe what you say is happening, as I, have shot thousands of ArmA AI and a few player avatars in the head, like all the others here have done and never experienced what you describe, and so think you are doing something wrong.

ArmA even models the Medulla Oblongata shot, where if you hit the base of the skull the target dies instantly and quietly; my prefered stealthy option with a suppressed pistol.

If you can show us what you mean we may be able to help you, or you may surprise us and show us something odd happening that we did not know existed.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Because frankly, like everyone else on the board, I am finding it hard to believe what you say is happening, as I, have shot thousands of ArmA AI and a few player avatars in the head, like all the others here have done and never experienced what you describe, and so think you are doing something wrong.

true. either that or a real bad shot that isn't hitting what they think they are.

I was playing a defend this location challenge with the XM8 in the armoury mode.
Although one small thing to point out the OP did mention running under "armoury" when doing this, so it might possibly be a bug in that mode? becuase the examples people are speaking of I bet arent based under armoury section.

So probably best to copy what hes doing and see if you can get some headshots in, if so, user error, if not .. bug report time! :)

BTW are you using mods? Run it clean vanilla and see, also .. what patch and version are you using?

Edited by mrcash2009

YEAH, me too!!! :D

Haha :D This video is EPIC!

Just as its background. ;)

Sorry for OT...

I am still new to the Operation Arrowhead.

I play in the Armoury and nowhere else.

I play on the Recruit level.

I need to be hit multiple times before I am killed.

I often see my rounds striking the enemy and blood going everywhere and they don't go down. Why is that?

-

I am still new to the Operation Arrowhead.

I play in the Armoury and nowhere else.

I play on the Recruit level.

I need to be hit multiple times before I am killed.

I often see my rounds striking the enemy and blood going everywhere and they don't go down. Why is that?

-

This is recruit level, you can fix this by switching to veteran or Profi. There is something called "extended armor" in recruit.

Armory is not the main game mode, try editor for testing units and making your own simple scenarios and try out how the higher difficulty settings work for you. It is easy and rewarding after a few hours of learning by doing.

Hits dont kill you or A.I. instantly all the time, it depends where you got hit and how much energy the projectile still has when it hits you.

Keep in mind there is a ballistic and penetration model, a simplified but working one.

Edited by Ulanthorn

This is recruit level, you can fix this by switching to veteran or Profi. There is something called "extended armor" in recruit.

Armory is not the main game mode, try editor for testing units and making your own simple scenarios and try out how the higher difficulty settings work for you. It is easy and rewarding after a few hours of learning by doing.

Hits dont kill you or A.I. instantly all the time, it depends where you got hit and how much energy the projectile still has when it hits you.

Keep in mind there is a ballistic and penetration model, a simplified but working one.

Exactly. Also, I think ballistics seem "weak" at far distances because animations for impacts are non existent. Getting hit with a lead bullet moving just a few hundred feet/second would still stun most people for at least a little while, even if it didn't draw blood; but unfortunately the game doesn't model that :(

In this game, a 7.62 x 54mm projectile almost always kills in one shot, 7.62 x 51mm mostly kill in one shot at most ranges because they retain a lot of energy. The assault rifle calibre bullets are stranger. The 5.56 and 5.45 mm calibre bullets start off strong but lose energy due to drag quite quickly because they are light weight. At close range, it is unlikely that a enemy soldier survives one or two hits. At range, you can pepper them and 4 or 5 before they go down.

The pistol calibre bullets are somewhat weaker, though their killing power seems to be more consistent out to their effective range. Subsonic bullets are especially weak at any range, with a long flight time, high arc, and marginal power.

Exactly. Also, I think ballistics seem "weak" at far distances because animations for impacts are non existent. Getting hit with a lead bullet moving just a few hundred feet/second would still stun most people for at least a little while, even if it didn't draw blood; but unfortunately the game doesn't model that :(

A 9mm bullet at the muzzle has the equivalent power of a one pound weight being dropped from a height of six feet. I verily doubt that would stun anyone. You hear or read stories all the time about people being shot and not even realizing it. Beyond the actual physical effects of the cavity a bullet creates, how a person reacts depends quite a lot on his own mental state... they can fall over (by their own causing, not the bullets causing), run away, become angry, instantly surrender, etc. Consistently stunning people with bullets flying so slow they can't make it through their vest would not be a great choice.

Edited by Max Power

You know, there's a simple solution... shoot him again. :j:

If a headshot doesn't kill em, it certainly puts them on the brink of death.

-

You'd be surprised how much of your torso you can cover with your arms. Bullets in this game don't go through extremities (and if they did, the ballistics models would likely slow them to statistically nonfatal velocities), so dropping an AI that is facing you with one shot can be challenging.

However, hitting an AI makes them very reluctant to fire. If they do shoot at you, they while fire single rounds at a slow pace, and their accuracy will be terrible.

I noticed the head and bodyshots doing next to nothing damage a lot since the 1.50 patch

It's ok in MP but in the editor i could shoot people point blank 5-8 times in the head and body and nothing happens until the 6th or 9th shot regardless of the weapon used.

Blood appears though.

The sweetspot does appear to be the upper forehead.

I noticed the head and bodyshots doing next to nothing damage a lot since the 1.50 patch

It's ok in MP but in the editor i could shoot people point blank 5-8 times in the head and body and nothing happens until the 6th or 9th shot regardless of the weapon used.

Blood appears though.

Again...if you hit parts of the models GEAR (rifle, launcher, backpack, upper or side part of helmet) it will show the blood spray, but won't do any harm to the unit itself...and some units have lot of gear. Alternatively you can shoot into the foot 9 times. A hit into torso is safest and fastest way. Military usually does not train for "headshots"...you're trained to aim at the largest body part. Edited by Ulanthorn

Blood appears though.

Sounds like a bug or mod conflict.