Sign in to follow this  
danieljg

Headshot didn't kill an AI?

Never happened to me once in 500 hours of SP, and I must have gotten every other glitch known to man with every combination of patches.

I want a video. Is it even on the bugtracker so we can see the technical details? Or is it all ricochets, distance and rumors?

Default answer is always it's FADE.

Issue was brought up a few times but got buried in other issues.

As I've said before. some bugs just don't materialize for a lot of people. add the "It must be FADE, buy the game" blah blah blah the issue gets ignored and lingers.

I'd make a video but my system isn't powerfull enough to run FRAPS at a decent rate to make them. The other issue is it doesn't happen all the time

and I play MP. I just happen to get it a few times when I'm diddling around in the editor.

I know what FADE looks like and the behavior I see is not FADE. it's a hit registry issue that appeared in 1.50.

Bullets passing through enemies and hitting the dirt behind them has been around since day 1.

Edited by jblackrupert

FADE is insideous and stealthy and designed to lul the pirate into a false sense of security, with effects sneakily increasing over time. FADE is also updated with every patch, its effects randomised and new lists of cheat programs and fake or re-vended keys added with each version.

The whole thing about the philosophy of FADE is that it is designed and based on a “policy of ambiguity†in order to create Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) in software pirates and those who run cheat programs, so that they are never sure if they have an effective cheat or working key gen.

In my opinion, this is really bad. We all know that no system is ever going to be 100% error proof. There are always going to be some instances in which FADE is going to affect people who have bought the game legally. So, to have an ambiguous system that negatively affects your gaming experience without you really being sure of what's going on is not good.

It will only make legal owners of the game stop playing it when their gaming experience suffers and they don't know that it's the copy protection system that has gone wrong.

Never had FADE triggering as far as I am aware, but the general idea of it is something I disagree with, if it's not communicated properly to be active. And with that said, the message "original games will not degrade" you see popping up for some players when connecting to servers is definitely not enough here.

At the end of the day it might be harmful for the game. Just imagine you are someone who downloaded the game to test it out (illegal I know, but still common practice). Now they will suffer from FADE without perhaps even knowing and will just move on and play something else after having a crappy game experience instead of maybe considering to buy it.

If there would be a properly strong FADE warning with detailed explanation, it might be more effective to discourage piracy and make people buy the original. I am sure that 99% of all BIS game pirates don't even know that something like FADE exists.

Sorry, but I absolutely disagree with the positive conclusions you draw from FADE being insideous and stealthy, walker.

...Sorry, but I absolutely disagree with the positive conclusions you draw from FADE being insideous and stealthy, walker.

Hi Nyles

Then we have difference of opinion, which is fine by me. :)

FADE triggers when you do something wrong.

If you have done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear.

If you think you may have accidentally triggered FADE just contact BIS with a PM to Placebo and proof of purchase and they will fix it.

Hi jblackrupert

Default answer is always it's FADE.

Issue was brought up a few times but got buried in other issues.

As I've said before. some bugs just don't materialize for a lot of people. add the "It must be FADE, buy the game" blah blah blah the issue gets ignored and lingers.

I'd make a video but my system isn't powerfull enough to run FRAPS at a decent rate to make them. The other issue is it doesn't happen all the time

and I play MP. I just happen to get it a few times when I'm diddling around in the editor.

I know what FADE looks like and the behavior I see is not FADE. it's a hit registry issue that appeared in 1.50.

Bullets passing through enemies and hitting the dirt behind them has been around since day 1.

I have not experienced the bug you describe, in the many thousand of hours of BIS's OFP and ArmA series I have played. Not once ever. As happens with 99.999... percent of people in the community. So for any one in the rest of the community to understand you; you need to show us what you mean! A picture is worth a thousand words and a video is worth a library of forum posts.

Any FRAPS video of the bug you say you experience will do! It does not have to be a masterpiece of cinematic camera work. Low res and 15 FPS would be way more than sufficient to prove your claim.

So if you cannot, in the editor on the Default island place:

1) A player avatar, with gun of your choice

2) One unarmed or neutral AI.

3) Press preview and shoot at the AI in the way you describe

4) Record it with the free version of FRAPS;

5) Stick it up on YouTube

6) Tell us where to find it in a post in the forums

7) Post it up in the Community Issue Tracker.

Then, in all honesty, I find it surprising to hear you can run ArmA II missions with hundreds of AI at all.

Along with the lack of a repeatable example experiment, it all prevents anyone one from helping you fix it and you make it impossible for anyone else to verify your claim.

As I said if you think you have accidentally triggered FADE then just contact BIS through a PM to Placebo with proof of purchase and BIS will fix it for you. BIS are very friendly about things like this.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

The thing about FADE is that my game works fine, yet I once got a message on my screen saying LEGAL COPIES WILL NOT DEGRADE.

It happened just once while I was flying a helicopter in the Steam version of Arma 2.

The game acted like a terminal cancer patient on that machine, so that may have had something to do with it.

Then, in all honesty, I find it surprising to hear you can run ArmA II missions with hundreds of AI at all.

I don't, I play PvP MP. (AAS) System requirements for that are quite low unless

the server is running a ton of scripts which the servers I do play on do not.

but maybe 1 out of 10 times when I diddle around in the editor usually on Utes on the runway I get the hits not registering.

Bullets don't land all over the place. they just don't kill like they should. blood apears

but it takes 5-8 shots to the head to kill.

The last issue I had months ago was Bullet lift instead of drop and a reinstall cured it so I never pursued it

yes the rille was zeroed correctly in fact that was before zeroing was introduced.. Target was 100m away

and bullets flew in a straight line OVER his head.

My current install is

1) Install Windows XP

2) patch windows

3) Install CO and patch.

There is no junk in the registry or leftover files from a previous install.

Edited by jblackrupert