Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: Private Military Company (ARMA 2: PMC) DLC

I currently work for a large British PMC in Iraq and have done since 2004, there's those that will hate what we do, and those that support what we do, and there's no reason that the PMC characters cannot be used as Tier 1 guys who perform the same duties as I do , as in PSD , Karzai himself was protected by DEVGRU at one stage, as was several Iraqi High Profile Ministers..

The BAF DLC was excellent, there's no reason why this can't be either, but a nice Sig552 as a weapon would go down a treat ;)

In my role in a PSD team I wear either civvy attire, from a full suit, to 5.11's to any civis, low profile vest/Ops kit and full flight suit and full PPE such as Overt Rig, and Helmets so there's plenty of scope to choose from..

Vehicles, a Toyota Land cruiser and Excursions, Yukons and F35/550 would also be a welcome addition

One thing I'd like to see in ArmA2 is the ability to create individual units from within the mission editor like you can in VBS2, chosing the base character, and adding the weapons and loadouts, and renaming it to whatever you choose, rather than waiting for Addons to be created specifically

Nice post. I agree, a Sig552 would be much better than XM8. When would you guys ever get to use an XM8?

Anyway, the side these PMCs will be is Independent side, so mission makers will be able to pretend for missions they're friendly PMCs, Special Forces in plain-clothes or bad guy mercs smuggling drugs.

Hmm the ability to modify units without having to type in a load in initialization.

Nice post. I agree, a Sig552 would be much better than XM8. When would you guys ever get to use an XM8?

Its the Armaverse. XM8 is too cool to not include it. Why would BIS need to replicate reality to the smallest detail?

Maybe because some like it realistic and would like to see armies use correct weapons and not cancelled stuff or stuff that isnt used by them in realitity.

US Army with Scars instead of M4s?

Russian Army with AK-107 instead of AK74Ms?

There many things where i think realism in ArmA2 shouldnt be overdone but when it comes to weapons it should be realistic.

But as these PMC guys here even have Kasatkas ( that desnt look like the latest Kasatka shown at MAKS and instead more like the first prototypes from years ago as far as i could see ) i guess realism is overboard already.

Yet i still buy it if the campaign is good.

So I wonder, do we have to pay for the XM8 when we already have an outdated one (from Arma2 content), will the old XM8 be replaced with one with horrible textures and useless sights (like BAF lite), or will we (those with A2 content, or maybe all) get it as a freebie in the next full OA patch?

When would you guys ever get to use an XM8?

If I had a full working complementary set of gun alternatives, I could use it as a difficulty option in a mission: What weapon family is available? M4/M16 - SCAR - G36 - HK - XM. I think it would be nice to have such options in a mission instead of the usual where everything is available. When you have missions where ammo isn't flowing wildly, it is very nice if you can enforce (almost) everyone to share the same kind of ammo.

The current problems (excluding A2 content due to not updated to proper NVG usage):

M4/M16 - Almost no guns available at all, and I would need a full set of both.

SCAR - No issues. Everything dandy.

G36 - No GL. Makes it hard to use same platoon setup. Also exploitable mags makes it (to me) very hard to use.

HK - Doesn't exist.

XM - If A2 content was updated, we would still have exploitable mags, no non-scoped/aimpoint variants, and errors in the sights.

So, I guess I'm stuck with SCARs...

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Maybe because some like it realistic and would like to see armies use correct weapons and not cancelled stuff or stuff that isnt used by them in realitity.

There many things where i think realism in ArmA2 shouldnt be overdone but when it comes to weapons it should be realistic.

But as these PMC guys here even have Kasatkas ( that desnt look like the latest Kasatka shown at MAKS and instead more like the first prototypes from years ago as far as i could see ) i guess realism is overboard already.

Yet i still buy it if the campaign is good.

this.

You can already change the loadouts and weapons of individual units.

without using scripting techniques as in "ThisAdd" etc?

VBS2 uses a drop down menu, so much easier for the non scriptive biffs like me ;)

Can you also rename the edited unit to show up in the Unit menu as well?

or create new groups? without scripting... I've not seen it anywhere else other than VBS2 which I'm sure is very possible to do within ArmA2 seeing as they're made by the same people ;)

Maybe because some like it realistic and would like to see armies use correct weapons and not canceled stuff or stuff that isn't used by them in reality.

You could always replace the "fictional" weapons the vanila units have with the real ones ...

Well they are airborne ... they aren't exactly conventional . Plus we got the SCAR's so ...

New weapon model , better then a re-skin of the AK 74 . How many " It's just a re-skin ! BIS is sucking our money ! BOO " would that have generated ?

Overdone ? Did the weapons in Arma 2 fire doomrays and I didn't notice ? They exist in real life thus they are real and viable for adoption by the worlds armed forces :cool:

Regarding the PMC's weapons choice .... I'm not against the XM 8 and it's new variants . Working on an already existent model is more viable $ wise . But some triked out AK's would have been nice :) .

Or maybe we are getting that in a future OPFOR DLC :D ?

My 2 cents

Well they are airborne ... they aren't exactly conventional . Plus we got the SCAR's so ...

Uh, the Airborne is conventional in the US Army.

Hopefully they add hookers like what they did in Arma 2. Makes me happy.

yes plz.

-

Also, I too hate this trend of futuristic guns. Sure it's easy enough to change loadouts, but it's silly including guns that were cancelled/never going to be used/don't make sense.

well i think the reason that us army has scars is because OA takes place in the near future, and not long ago it seemed that the next weapon for the us army would be the scar.

So I wonder, do we have to pay for the XM8 when we already have an outdated one (from Arma2 content), will the old XM8 be replaced with one with horrible textures and useless sights (like BAF lite), or will we (those with A2 content, or maybe all) get it as a freebie in the next full OA patch?..

Hopefully not as long as I'm paying for it. (Coz I will)

without using scripting techniques as in "ThisAdd" etc?

VBS2 uses a drop down menu, so much easier for the non scriptive biffs like me ;)

Can you also rename the edited unit to show up in the Unit menu as well?

or create new groups? without scripting... I've not seen it anywhere else other than VBS2 which I'm sure is very possible to do within ArmA2 seeing as they're made by the same people ;)

I think most good mission makers can get around the scripting stuff easily however anything to make it easier and more accessible has to be a good thing.

well i think the reason that us army has scars is because OA takes place in the near future, and not long ago it seemed that the next weapon for the us army would be the scar.

And somehow, I'm not used to SCARs. Somehow I felt BIS is following the successful MW2 trend.

Where does it say that opfor gets new tech ? :confused:

This passages from the interview:

... PMC faction is set as Independent, which means in the editor, you can make it either friendly to or enemy of NATO forces ...
Introducing another OPFOR to Takistan really was something that we looked closely at doing, with several interesting concepts drafted. Right now, though, PMC offered us the best way to provide interesting content and expand upon the scope and depth of the ‘Armaversum’, supporting our ongoing development of engine features, stability improvements and optimisations.

Interview:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/10/14/bis-on-private-military-company-for-arma-2/

And somehow, I'm not used to SCARs. Somehow I felt BIS is following the successful MW2 trend.

So MW2 is the only game that can use SCARs now ?

Looks like BIS can't win, If they add new weapons people cry, If they don't add new weapons people cry :icon_rolleyes:, We should be happy that they are still adding content to the game.

I think some of you guys forget this is a game, Is realistic but it's still a GAME.

Looks like BIS can't win, If they add new weapons people cry, If they don't add new weapons people cry :icon_rolleyes:

That's always the case, no matter what a game developer does. You can't ever please everyone.

Very true indeed. Personally I don't care, I can use unit reskins to make them look like whatever force (even imaginary) I want, and having other options in weaponry allows that just fine.

I think the intent was giving us new equipment. That part worked well. Also that we was supposed to use A2 content if we wanted more realistic guns (M4/M16). That didn't turn out that successful because they aren't updated to new features. I'm not talking about IR texture, but how they can be used with NVGoggles. I would use the A2 M4/M16s if they were updated to handle same NVG compatibility.

The new guns rocks! I was tired of always using M4/M16 as the only option, and it would have been a pity if M4/M16 was the only guns OA offered. I'm still using A2 M16s for "old school" missions with no NVGs though.

Hopefully not as long as I'm paying for it. (Coz I will)

Hopefully not what? Get it for free? As I see it, I already paid for the XM8's by buying A2. I would buy a Gold version or whatever, anything in a box. I'm just not supporting any kind of DLC, for any game I might add (I just hate the term). We're already getting any new tech included. Why not the content we already have? I'm not talking about unique content to the DLC, or voices or campaign. Why should you worry that some parts are covered as part of the patch? Free content has been the trade of the past. Is it now "I paid for it so you shouldn't have it"? Hmm....

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Personally I'd rather see the realism upped instead of extra content, what about proper chain of command? C2?

Personally I'd rather see the realism upped instead of extra content, what about proper chain of command? C2?

As much as I am for realism in games , that would be a bad choice $ wise for BIS. Most people buy games/DLC because they get to play with something new.

Russian players might buy the DLC just because they get the KA-60 for example ...

Is it just me or has anyone else thought 'A Team' custom mission with the new PMC characters? :lol: :D

@LJF: What would C2 bring me as a gamer (I've only briefly heard about CoC for OFP, I can't recall ever using it)? Sounds like something complex that is not available through scripting, teamswitch and high command. And might require additional commands. I hope it doesn't evolve into "in order for this command to work, you need a specific DLC".

So I agree with maionaze, let's keep DLCs content related, and not mix complex systems into it (like new artillery computer only working with a DLC).

I don't think so. I think it's just about pre-rendered cutscenes. But this might be a step forward...

When I first read this I thought it's about recording demo.Maybe cause I always wanted such a feature.

Do you want to make ArmA boring and only for hardcore military nerds?

At the moment ArmA has the perfect balance between realism and fun. For the rest there are mods.

At the moment ArmA has the perfect balance between realism and fun.

^this x1,000 ;)