Every time I read things like this, I got the same feeling, that it must be a little disappointing for BIS, to see people that continue to create myths about third party mods that, good as they are, have absolutely nothing to do with the features celebrated. Credit where credit is due. Most of what newbies mention about ACE and ASR AI, it's BIS work.

I agree that the mods are often overrated and given props for things AI do just as a result of the BIS engine. I said it before too :)

cover me in CQB, use cover, not go prone every two seconds, be good drivers

^^Not ASR AI :)

Also I'm not sure how often COWARMOD updates my bits so it might not always have the latest features.

But I do have some unique stuff that are not in the stock game, like the AI rearming, info sharing between groups, better reaction and sensitivity and better fine-tuning possibilities. I guess they also help to put the native AI skills to better use.

More features will come. I already have a new (hopefully) interesting group consolidation/cleanup feature for 1.13: AI groups left with just 1 member due to KIA will automatically reinforce a near group of the same faction, joining it.

Edited by Robalo

Good as it is, the CoWarMod does not include GL4.

But I agree that the latest patches, plus ASR AI and ACE provide a very challenging and at times believable experience.

I have GL4 in my COWarmod folder, how did it get there? (Oh well, not complaining.)

I had already tried to include GL4 into A2WarMod but I wasn't granted permission this time around, as I have GL3 in the Armed Assault version

No idea how it got there but not from COWarMod.

More features will come. I already have a new (hopefully) interesting group consolidation/cleanup feature for 1.13: AI groups left with just 1 member due to KIA will automatically reinforce a near group of the same faction, joining it.

Ooo. clever. Remember to include a failsafe.

(say I have two bodyguards grouped with a principal. I want the principal to break a CYCLE waypoint then run for the hills. It wouldn't do to have him reinforce the nearest group-- then stick around)

-k

I think attaching enableAttack false to certain waypoints like Hold and Sentry would make groups conform to user expectations a lot better. Although this could mess with existing missions. But obviously you can't prevent AI team leaders from making engage commands across the board.

Ooo. clever. Remember to include a failsafe.

(say I have two bodyguards grouped with a principal. I want the principal to break a CYCLE waypoint then run for the hills. It wouldn't do to have him reinforce the nearest group-- then stick around)

-k

OK, so if I understand you correctly you have a trigger activated when the bodyguards are killed. You already have the option to disable the skills for the principal: principal setVariable ["asr_ai_sys_aiskill_exclude", true];

Guess I need to add a check to automatically exclude units with checkpoints from this. Thanks for the hint!

---------- Post added at 01:24 ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 ----------

Hey Robalo, will you be able to pull off something like what's suggested in this thread?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=128846

If Igneous suggestion is too complicated, will it be possible to do something like what I've suggested? I think that will produce great results.

I think that's too low level for me to be able to fix. Interesting discussion, but I'm avoiding setting waypoints as much as possible in my mod by principle, because they tend to break missions.

What about enforcing the limitation on how many soldiers will AI commander issue an attack order to at once?

What about enforcing the limitation on how many soldiers will AI commander issue an attack order to at once?

I believe that's handled by the engine without tweaking options but I'd be happy if someone would prove me wrong.

There is a whole thread right now about AI commanders sending individual subordinates out on kamikaze assaults. (Often but not always.) If you could create a hard prohibition on one-man Engage commands, it could be beneficial.

I agree on that Robalo, if possible preventiong Team leaders from sending their men on kamikaze attacks would greatly improve the Gameplay

Hey there..i edited our server and launched your addon. I used default setting in config. Right now, when i got ai under my command, they don#t obey real good. I tell em to stay at chopper, so they can guard, but they always regroup with me? Am i doing something wrong?

Serverside its nice, ai is acting really smart

I was wondering, do the AI perform just as well if I combine ASR AI and Zeus AI into one folder?

I was wondering, do the AI perform just as well if I combine ASR AI and Zeus AI into one folder?

No probably not

Hey there..i edited our server and launched your addon. I used default setting in config. Right now, when i got ai under my command, they don#t obey real good. I tell em to stay at chopper, so they can guard, but they always regroup with me? Am i doing something wrong?

I guess they're just grabbing some equipment. They should stop doing it after you tell them to stop, hide, or set them to stealth or combat. You can also use the comms menu. Problem is if they are already busy scavenging, there's no way to instantly force them to stop doing it, the current cycle must end then the conditions are again checked for the next run. They automatically regroup after rearming.

No probably not

Alright, and could I run ASR and ZEU togther and get a better AI opponent? (not in same folder, but in seperate- ex. -mod=@ZeusAI;@ASR) Or should I just stick to one

Alright, and could I run ASR and ZEU togther and get a better AI opponent? (not in same folder, but in seperate- ex. -mod=@ZeusAI;@ASR) Or should I just stick to one

Hey Burdy,

It's not a problem of how you run them, combined into one folder or not, it's just that some features from one mod override the other and I can't tell you what the results will be. It's up to you (or anyone else) to find out.

I recommend running separate mod folders because it's easier to activate/deactivate them and to prevent confusion (which mod is this file from ? what version etc.)

If I assign my addon's base class for the "SF" skill set, does it work for all of the units? I inherit the same base class for all of the units.

If I assign my addon's base class for the "SF" skill set' date=' does it work for all of the units? I inherit the same base class for all of the units.[/quote']

That's correct. The (addon maker) way to do it is to either add the property like:

class My_Addon_SF_Soldier_Base : US_Soldier_Base_EP1 {
	asr_ai_sys_aiskill_level = 1;
	//other properties of this unit
};

or simply by inheritance basing your class on a SF class:

class My_Addon_SF_Soldier_Base : US_Delta_Force_EP1 {
	//other properties of this unit
};

Hi Robalo.

Quick query for you: do you have any advice as to what settings are best in the Arma OA user config file, specifically regarding these four settings:

skillFriendly=0.75;

skillEnemy=0.75;

precisionFriendly=0.40000001;

precisionEnemy=0.40000001;

There seems to be different schools of thought on what the optimum settings are for these to get the most out of the AI, and I wondered what your view is as someone who tinkers with this sort of thing. Cheers. :)