Robalo will it be possible for you to implement something like Dodge from SLX where units strafe and roll into cover? And use cover more often if possible.

I already have some code for AI actively searching houses in combat in the unreleased version, but it wasn't tested too much.

About AI taking static positions in houses, it's a mission design thing IMO so I don't have plans for it. But implementation ideas are welcome.

About the dodge to cover, no plans yet, did not think about it, perhaps a first requirement would be a function to evaluate good cover positions based on perceived threats. We'll see :)

I already have some code for AI actively searching houses in combat in the unreleased version, but it wasn't tested too much.

About AI taking static positions in houses, it's a mission design thing IMO so I don't have plans for it. But implementation ideas are welcome.

About the dodge to cover, no plans yet, did not think about it, perhaps a first requirement would be a function to evaluate good cover positions based on perceived threats. We'll see :)

I was thinking move to buildings more as a result of enemy action or detection.

1. If they detect you they take up ready positions if they have good cover. I am thinking here more alone the lines of setting ambushes.

2. If they receive effective fire they take up defensive positions.

They do seem to do a little of (1) but are more likely to attack and flank, which sometimes they leave good terrain for poor.

They do seem to do (2) but sometimes ignore buildings. I hope you can get that working the CBA func mentioned above maybe an answer ?

Either way awesome work, making coop better on every iteration, thanks for your hard work.

I use this at the moment for moving AI into buildings:

http://dev-heaven.net/docs/cba/files/ai/fnc_taskDefend-sqf.html

That's sweet. Didn't know CBA could do that, basically removes the hassle with putting UPSMON into every test mission folder.

What exactly does "building size treshold" means?

@Robalo: looking into implementing SLX's Dodge may be a good idea since it gives an advantage over how soldiers move into cover in vanilla. Basically if you remember in vanilla soldiers move into the cover facing cover (even under fire). With SLX Dodge during those last steps before cover position they face contacts instead - while strafing or rolling sideways.

Edited by metalcraze

AFAIK, it's the minimum number of positions a house has before AI will move in. I could be wrong though.

@Robalo: looking into implementing SLX's Dodge may be a good idea since it gives an advantage over how soldiers move into cover in vanilla. Basically if you remember in vanilla soldiers move into the cover facing cover (even under fire). With SLX Dodge during those last steps before cover position they face contacts instead - while strafing or rolling sideways.

That's one helluva feature request. Does it work in SLX ? I there were some danger.fsm related changes in betas, dunno if SLX was updated for that.

Edited by Robalo

Yes it uses some danger.fsm changes to call functions that come in slx_dodge.pbo

The problem is that danger.fsm of SLX is outdated compared to vanilla one and AI has that old problem where AI will ignore close threats/run for cover first and engage later (right now it shoots first and relatively fast if the enemy threatens it) which makes AI an easy prey for a human player (not connected to slx_dodge in any way, since it behaves like that without it too)

That's why I don't just use SLX together with ASR and request a similar feature here as ASR is pretty much the only AI mod in an active development.

Metalcraze: I had suspected that the improvements afforded by the recent betas might compromise, conflict or even obsolete certain pbos from SLX. So would suggest disabling these pbos?

SLX_AI (replaces A2 danger.fsm to improve AI reactions. Requires SLX_FindCover)

SLX_FindCover (AI utility functions for finding cover and making AI's make a course diversion then continue on to their original destination)

SLX_AI_Dodge (resource for SLX_AI and SLX_ShotEffects. Makes AIs do evasive moves towards cover)

And have you found any others which are best left out given the recent betas?

SLX_AI and Findcover are faulty (can't use one without another)

And SLX_Dodge won't work without SLX_AI

I've been sitting on this new version for too long so here goes, finally uploaded (for game version 1.60):

1.12 | 05 DEC 2011

Fine-tuned revealed information for better awareness:

- shots are heard from a greater distance by default, but knowledge gained is now variable, determined from max sound range

and distance to shooter.

- target information value (knowledge) is shared between AI groups as is, except a small loss due to random comm equipment issues.

AI will randomly search nearby buildings when in combat mode.

Fixed: AI was not giving up a weapon with GL even after spending all mags if they still had some GL rounds.

AI taking binoculars is now optional (still enabled by default). To disable in userconfig set: asr_ai_sys_airearming_binocs = 0;

AI taking sidearms by default (1.60 fixed issues involving sidearms). To disable in userconfig set: asr_ai_sys_airearming_sidearm = 0;

Also they will no longer ignore sidearms if that's the only weapon available even if sidearm rearming is disabled by config.

Userconfig settings now uncommented by default for clarity.

Separated configs from scripted features into their own pbos.

Robalo :D PLEASE put your mod in ACE :D! ;)

ASR-AI works just fine when separate from ACE. Also ACE mod contains the ASR-AI values, just not scripts.

The config part is already the same in ACE. For now it's easier for me to maintain this project separate, keeping it both usable and compatible for ACE and non-ACE users.

Is the new version up on SU or are you going to wait for 1.6 to go live?

Not sure what's best, probably to wait for 1.60, unless Sickboy ninja'd me again and uploaded it already :)

Either way, it's just a few kbytes, so it's not a big issue to grab whatever version from dev-heaven.

Now that this thread is renewed I have a suggestion:

Is it possible to make AI act smarter when under incoming fire but not being able to find a shooter.

What I mean is when AI is being attacked f.e. by a sniper but unable to see him they will just go into a danger mode into a nearby cover and stay there even when shots keep coming.

Is it possible to make (AI leader command) the squad to move X meters in the opposite direction of the incoming fire if they can't find the shooter for Y seconds? That will surely make them much harder targets as it will also force the sniper to move.

Not sure what's best, probably to wait for 1.60, unless Sickboy ninja'd me again and uploaded it already :)

Either way, it's just a few kbytes, so it's not a big issue to grab whatever version from dev-heaven.

I agree, 1.6 is not official yet. I downloaded it and set it as local mod on SU for now. Was just wondering if I should set it back to SU control - I'll wait :D

Now that this thread is renewed I have a suggestion:

Is it possible to make AI act smarter when under incoming fire but not being able to find a shooter.

What I mean is when AI is being attacked f.e. by a sniper but unable to see him they will just go into a danger mode into a nearby cover and stay there even when shots keep coming.

Is it possible to make (AI leader command) the squad to move X meters in the opposite direction of the incoming fire if they can't find the shooter for Y seconds? That will surely make them much harder targets as it will also force the sniper to move.

This mod helps the AI respond better to shots, especially those fired from long range, without magically giving them too much knowledge about the shooter. What the AI does then, it's up to the engine. I suppose scripting something is possible.

How does one detect good cover spots by scripting ? If only findCover worked...

Yeah even something like simply ordering them not to stay at the same spot when being fired upon for some time without finding a shooter will be good.

One of the main problems with AI right now is that it can be in two states during combat - attacking the enemy or staying in one place.

What if you fire rounds near someone you don't even know it's there ? Like a carefully placed sniper or some other well hidden units. You'd just cheat with this, forcing them to move out.

What version of ASR (I've never used it yet) should I use if I'm using A2/OA 1.59?

If an enemy sees rounds landing close near him for like 10 seconds I bet it's safe to say that enemy can now think that he has been detected.

What version of ASR (I've never used it yet) should I use if I'm using A2/OA 1.59?

Version 1.11.

---------- Post added at 22:25 ---------- Previous post was at 22:19 ----------

If an enemy sees rounds landing close near him for like 10 seconds I bet it's safe to say that enemy can now think that he has been detected.

Guess I'll try to experiment with something simple first, like a setting a random combat-mode SAD waypoint once "they know" someone's engaging them.