Sign in to follow this  
Snake Man

PMC 51km Desert

PMC 51km Desert v1.1 for ArmA 2.

This is 51km x 51km desert terrain with war torn cities and villages. There is also few modern (intact) cities, three airbases, six oilfields, five harbors, dirt road network and two lane highway.

New features are terrain objects separated to their own addon.

ArmA 2 screenshots, 10km viewdistance: image 1, image 2, image 3, image 4, image 5, image 6, image 7, image 8, image 9, image 10, image 11, image 12, image 13, image 14, image 15 and image 16.

Read online manual: here.

Required Addons: AGS industrial, AGS port and PMC Terrain Objects.

Download PMC_51km_desert_v1.1.rar - 104mb.

Mirror 1: n/a

All mirrors are very much appreciated, thank you.

Edited by Snake Man

To be clear. Which addons are needed at all?

Here I see AGS Industrial and Port, Armaholic says Port & Buildings.

Kinda confusing...

And thx for release. Looks great.

I can imagine that this must have been a lot of work, but something is really striking: Your use of round brush-shapes. (Very obvious on Picture One) :rolleyes:

Try to work with different types of brushes: Especially the Natural Brushes do, with a proper spacing, magic in terms of nice looking texture edges/blending.

Keep it up/and improving!

:)

Downloading. It will be nice when real-world scale like this is as "easily" accomplished as the usual 10x10 maps. Thanks for your effort Snake Man!

Fucking awesome!

Now I must pray for my FPS to be good.

Imho it looks a bit too constructed, lifeless and missing natural looking stuff.

It still does look like OFP > ArmA > Arma2 port and I hope you will find some time to make it look better more natural. :)

Imho it looks a bit too constructed, lifeless and missing natural looking stuff.

It still does look like OFP > ArmA > Arma2 port and I hope you will find some time to make it look better more natural. :)

Gotta agree. It just looks too randomly placed. But what can you expect from such a huge map.

Plus the textures are very weak.

PihFS.jpg

Texture setting are at very high and all other setting are mixed High/Very High.

Hoping PMC Somolia map is alot better than this! :)

I wish PMC just made the map much much smaller but made the city 34 much bigger and much more detailed. ArmA2 really needs a map with a real city for once.

Yeah City 34 would be awesome on a standalone map with alot more details, less repetition and better ground textures and some clutter, grasses, etc.

when loading the addon i get the message pmc_desert...... needs AGS_INDS

this is very strange as i have all three the current AGS packs (INDUSTRIE / BUILDINGS / HARBOUR) in the same addon folder as the island ??????

i checked to see if i have a other AGS_INDS active but no other file was found on the hard drive with that name

forget about what i typed here before it seems its the time setting thats screwing up the textures and not this island :(

Edited by supergruntsb78
some typo's & a BIG mistake from my side sorry for that

i get same error...pmc_desert...... needs AGS_INDS and i got the addons needed

You can download the required addons AGS inds v1.3.1 and AGS port v1.3.1 from Armaholic.com at this time. Other mirrors hopefully appear later.

There appears to be some "low texture quality" bug, this was not present in the ArmA version, I'm currently looking into the issue.

Manual explains random placed buildings and other work in progress status issues as well as my plans for future updates.

I would love to see some (multiplayer) missions made for this terrain. Last night I had nice mission with horror1 and I'm glad that the terrain worked perfectly without any problems (this was on windows hosted server).

Here is screenshots from last night MP

NPjZr.jpg QApyA.jpg QAs2J.jpg

CBoUi.jpg NPoYJ.jpg

If anyone wants some MP with this terrain, just let us know.

Also getting require AGS_Inds...

And i got them from Armholic last night..

PS: DO this work in A2 OA/CO???

Edited by Andersson[SWEC]

Mmm..And OACO..

But i have to say..Though i LOVE the size, the detail and ground is not good at

all..Sorry, your on the right track, but in my world this is not even beta...

Runs fine on ArmA II standalone here. Great map so far, way more details and densely towns appreciated though. Keep on the good work :thumb:

nice map but pointless as whats the point in creatinga city map that is empty? i imagine its nearly impossible to populate it like a living breathing city full of NPC's without needing a 10ghz core i7 cpu and 3 way SLI 480gtx just to load the map up

I rather like it, it's huge and while it may not have tons of things everywhere like many have said, it reminds me greatly of 80's sims where you had huge worlds and this expands on that turning huge into gigantic.

I think people place too much on maps all having to be so densely populated, why not use a modern computers power different? Instead of detailing with the small things create a giant map and add only what is needed.

Edited by NodUnit

Havn't had time to check this out yet but I think NodUnit raises a good point.

Having worked with the failed Austraila island team I fully I understand that a line has to be drawn when atttempting to create a map this big. And you have have to give PMC full points for actually delivering.

I think if people steped back a bit from the usual First person infantry midset they would see the possibilities an island like this opens up for larger joint operation battles.

I like the grand size, it may not be what is classic to most people (medium size, good detail, like chernarus), but it is certainly more "sim-like", like how FSX has the whole world in low low detail. This is like medium-low detail but is HUGE, providing the ability for things like aircraft use and long-range battles. And concealed massed movement.

Bugger. I've been waiting for someone to release a map like this and when they do I'm over 100 miles away from my house.

I completely agree with Nodunit and Berzerker above, people need to step back from the first person shooter mindset and think more along the lines of planes, tanks and guided missiles.