Sign in to follow this  
Undeceived

CM Operation Flashpoint 3 announced | "Oops, they're doing it again..."

@Max Power;

Just because he, like many, likes the setup and control of OFP:CWC and RO etc, It doesn't mean he doesn't like ArmA or anything.

I like Dragon Rising, and will probably buy Red River once its cheap. But that doesn't mean I think CM's way of doing things is the best. I may think some parts are better than ArmA, and you may disagree. Like the voice-acting, AI and command system. For instance,

I'm not an idiot, Ben S. He was saying that they should make ArmA more like RO or PR. My comment was about game philosophy. Game content can be substituted, modded, stolen, patched, whatever. Gameplay philosophy, however, is at the core of the engine built from the ground up. BIS chose to make the player's body move with a camera attached, not the other way around. Changing that would require them to make ArmA not ArmA anymore. The gameplay philosophy is a container as the bells and whistles and sidewinders and bullshit is to the contents. So if he likes the other games better, he should go and talk about how great it would be to substitute the transient game data of RO to a modern scenario, not ask BIS to rethink their entire existence.

Edited by Max Power

To make ArmA control as smoothly as other FPS without sacrificing control, I'd imagine they'd have to pour tons of money into a proprietary animation system that would let them retain their high quality motion-capture animations.

If you notice, third person avatars in CoD MP look like shit when they're moving around, because the ability to move in any direction at any speed while firing rocket launchers and eating an egg salad sandwich in mid-air is somewhat inimical to good animations.

No it wont, Thats exacly what I was saying. Did you not read it? :p

I know they don't care about the community at the CM forums, But I do care about them. I've made friends with them as you make friends here. And so I stay, a few gurus in the ME section teach me scripting, C# etc

So I stay there.

Yeah, No game will be like OFP:CWC, No game will top it. ArmA II is great, it just doesn't reach that standard. BIS will keep trying and keep trying. And thats all we can ever wish for. A company that listens to us, fixes for us, and changes the game for us.

OFPRR will not be a new OFPCWC, it will not be another OFP. And that, Was to be expected.

Anyway, We can always see what wonders lay behind the BIS doorway in the future. ;)

@Max Power;

Just because he, like many, likes the setup and control of OFP:CWC and RO etc, It doesn't mean he doesn't like ArmA or anything.

I like Dragon Rising, and will probably buy Red River once its cheap. But that doesn't mean I think CM's way of doing things is the best. I may think some parts are better than ArmA, and you may disagree. Like the voice-acting, AI and command system. For instance,

Big ben, but Why do you support a company or a forum that is full of shit. A company that wants to bring the name of OFP to a different kind of gameplay more towards the run and gun player. A company that only wants money who took out the MOST sigificant item of the OFP games the ME just so they can sell DLC that is already in the game. The voice-acting I will give you that but the command system ARE YOU ON DRUGS! The codemasters command system was so basic and simple that it killed the gameplay. You had no REAL control over your squad/AI just some basic move waypoint commands. You are so far off on that. Can you give any other thing that OFPDR had over ARMA2. Lets not get into a fight over this. CODEMASTERS IS A JOKE AND THEY KILLED THE NAME OF OFP that is the bottom line. Yes ARMA has some issues but you can't find anything like it or the company and the support it gives the community.

PS. I was on the codemasters forum a long time before you knew about the game and still have some friends there but I will no longer join in all the bull that the company will try to sell. You will see after OFPRR and you will only be here.

arma 2 is amazingly deep in its features and content I mean think about it

3D editor not fully working but its there

Editor

Awesome modules

complex landscapes

destruction

proper ballistics modeling and physics

all the freakin content

all the editing possibilities

Yes theres also alot of old limitations still their some aspects of the game arnt too good

like the vanilla sound effects, particles, some aspects of the graphics and overall stability of the engine.

My only real problem with arma 2 is some aspects of the graphics, lack of reload animations, assembly, sound effects in vanilla game and its interface for commanding units, sometimes the AI but hell in with DR and the upcoming RR look at what Codeshafters are attempting THATS RIGHT the Status quo. They lack the ingenuity, the effort to compile a game like a true OFP sequel.

Whatelse is there too add to Arma 3? Im sure it will please everyone, graphics engine will be improved, sound will be awesome, engine bugs will be ironed out and will hopefully get a more polished game at launch.

hoping this doesnt seem like an offtopic rant

Whatelse is there too add to Arma 3?

I would love it if Bohemia developed a game similar to Battlefront's Combat Mission Shock Force.

I'm currently playing Combat Mission Shock Force - Marines and it's awesome, if Bohemia develop a game like it I will be the first to order.

Arma 2 does already have a RTS mode: Warfare. :p

Yeah but unfortunately it's a half-assed attempt. No doubt if Bohemia decided to develop a genuine RTS game it would destroy the competition, they certainly have enough skill and experience to create such a game.

Big ben, but Why do you support a company or a forum that is full of shit. A company that wants to bring the name of OFP to a different kind of gameplay more towards the run and gun player. A company that only wants money who took out the MOST sigificant item of the OFP games the ME just so they can sell DLC that is already in the game. The voice-acting I will give you that but the command system ARE YOU ON DRUGS! The codemasters command system was so basic and simple that it killed the gameplay. You had no REAL control over your squad/AI just some basic move waypoint commands. You are so far off on that. Can you give any other thing that OFPDR had over ARMA2. Lets not get into a fight over this. CODEMASTERS IS A JOKE AND THEY KILLED THE NAME OF OFP that is the bottom line. Yes ARMA has some issues but you can't find anything like it or the company and the support it gives the community.

Like I said, I do not support CM, I am there for the community. Mainly the DR ME zone. At the moment i'm learning C# and XSLT scripitng.... All from the help of people on that forum.

PS. I was on the codemasters forum a long time before you knew about the game and still have some friends there but I will no longer join in all the bull that the company will try to sell. You will see after OFPRR and you will only be here.

I knew about Dragon Rising from its E3 presentations a few years ago. But you watched the forum and saw what was really going on back then. Must have been bad...

---------- Post added at 08:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

[...]

hoping this doesnt seem like an offtopic rant

A rant, in this thread? never!

I found out about DR from Sir Polaris, who is still a good friend of mine. I went by the name of Fozzy Bear on the CM forums.

I'm not so negative to think there is no perfect game, because there is. RO and PR are perfect games that deliver on a true MP tactical experience. They have faults, but with RO2 and a possible BF3, I'm sure it will only get better.

I'm also confident enough that BIS can reproduce the OFP CWC experience. So I'm patient. I do give plenty of kudos for BIS making OA play a lot smoother and feels a little different than Arma2.

I'm not so negative to think there is no perfect game, because there is. RO and PR are perfect games that deliver on a true MP tactical experience. They have faults, but with RO2 and a possible BF3, I'm sure it will only get better.

Strange, I don't like either of those...

I found out about DR from Sir Polaris

LOL I remember that seemingly stupid individual. He always insisted that Dragon Rising was going to be the ultimate simulation, that he was a gift from god sent to spread the word about Codemasters super-realistic military masterpeice.

I think when Dragon Rising was released he was unable to cope with the embarressment and humiliation of being fooled by Codemasters and now lives a life of self-imposed exile from all gaming forums.

Well... at least he left it to die once he realised he and the other 'heroes' (read:lolcows) of DR had been led down the garden path.

His playthrough on Justin.tv when the game was released was hilarious, too. He let everyone see how utterly rubbish the game was - for example by setting up a line of enemies in the editor and then walking down the line, knifing the unresponsive AI one by one. Some of the 'heroes' were extremely displeased that he didn't kid himself that the game was better than it was to save face.

Redeemed him, to some extent. Unlike those who are still over there, veering crazily between criticising CM as they axe features, and saying 'it could still be a good game in the end - have faith.'

The "CWC feeling" that "we all want" was in the missions and the 1985 campaign. Armed assualt and arma2 are better games, its just that BIS excelled in missionmaking for OFP and they are living in their own shadow since then. But I cant see much when it comes to the actual game aside missions that OFP was better in.

To wait for that "CWC feeling" in RR is riddiculous...

RR could never capture the CWC feeling much less Res, with the inclusion of a small environment, likely constant action to keep the players attention, keeping of tether limit, no civilians, lack of relateable characters, and the "You always win" not a chance.

To start you'd need a relateable character, less mr macho hollywood gravel voice who isn't afraid of anything and knows only the emotion of anger (if that) and more mr (or ms/mrs/) squishy human being who experiences a wide spectrum of emotions as their tale(s) unfold.

Second you need to start low, in OFP you started under the command of others which as far as console games go for the most part is strangely unheard of..oh sure you have objectives telling you what to do but people keeping you in line?

You need to work your way through the chain over the course of a looong campaign, not just 1 or 2 missions, the players not going to understand why their character is sad over the loss of a squad mate he/she only knew for a day or so.

You need chains and forced situations..IE less HEY ENEMY OVER THERE LETS SHOOT IT and more If I shoot them what are the consequences.." this gets the mindset and adrenaline pumping to an extent, sets the immersion, who knows..the player might even find their actually enjoying NOT shooting someone for once.

And that is all just the tip of the ice berg, the 3 above not generally seen on consoles, if RR pulls any off then I'll give it some praise for at least doing something different for the mainstream crowd.

Slightly random but does DR or RR have auto healing if you hide in a corner or if you're shot do you remain injured until a medic helps you?

Edited by NodUnit

Armed assualt and arma2 are better games, its just that BIS excelled in missionmaking for OFP and they are living in their own shadow since then.

I agree andersson, I can't even begin to fathom why anyone would be of the opinion that the original OFP or CWC are better than ArmA2.

OFP and CWC can't hold a candle to ArmA2.

I really miss the notepad in OFP, essecialy the notes. They always brought an extra level of involvement (or another word lol)

LOL I remember that seemingly stupid individual. He always insisted that Dragon Rising was going to be the ultimate simulation, that he was a gift from god sent to spread the word about Codemasters super-realistic military masterpeice.

I think when Dragon Rising was released he was unable to cope with the embarressment and humiliation of being fooled by Codemasters and now lives a life of self-imposed exile from all gaming forums.

more - he put scheme, diagram - that was meant to prove (hahaha) that if you not like DR, you are mentally ill and not grown personality

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

I agree andersson, I can't even begin to fathom why anyone would be of the opinion that the original OFP or CWC are better than ArmA2.

in some issues are (not saying about campaign - which you can do your own)

i miss OFP dirty atmosphere

i miss OFP mission editor with camera in triggers and easier to do SP missions than now, i miss OFP/Arma1 healing option (which now is wrong for me, i would like to see return to healing like in OFP, when you could heal near medic, not order medic only as team-commander, in Arma2 you can die surrounded by medics from friendly team - unless commander won't give them order to heal you )

I would like to see return to healing like in OFP, when you could heal near medic, not order medic only as team-commander, in Arma2 you can die surrounded by medics from friendly team - unless commander won't give them order to heal you )

This may be worth mentioning in the BugTracker, is it there already?

Must admit this would be nice, is there a Medic Mod out there that kinda makes the medic drag you somewhere or throws smoke and then heals you?

I loved the fact in OFP if you shot a medic, he'd stop where he was (even in the middle of a field) pat himself down and give himself a "treat" while still under the same heavy & accurate fire that got him hit in the first place lol.

I think alot of it has to do with nostalgia and the darker atmosphere of OFP.

Must admit this would be nice, is there a Medic Mod out there that kinda makes the medic drag you somewhere or throws smoke and then heals you?

I loved the fact in OFP if you shot a medic, he'd stop where he was (even in the middle of a field) pat himself down and give himself a "treat" while still under the same heavy & accurate fire that got him hit in the first place lol.

yes, this is annoying now in SP ( i try to do some missions myself , i play my tactical missions, i downloaded some SP missions), yes, it is annoying that medic do not heal himself without being ordered to do it :/

so although he is most important part of squad, he can die one shot, another shot, third shot in some minutes , while in OFP he would heal himself

this "no order -no healing" is stupid in Arma2, i was talking it since first days of Arma2

another bug appears now with healing vehicles (ambulances), they made some memory point or what ? after one patch (can't remember which one) my ambulance won't heal anymore, just HMMV at rear side of it (so it must be somekind of memory point issue)

AI sometimes found way to heal , but me - as a player - i don't see option "heal at Tarpan Ambulance" "heal at Lublin Ambulance" :/

so i can place even dozen of custom ambulances and die after one , second , third wound :/

game is game, ambulance simulate healing process, recovering (so if they are present, why only BIS ambulance heal )

Edited by vilas

yes, this is annoying now in SP ( i try to do some missions myself , i play my tactical missions, i downloaded some SP missions), yes, it is annoying that medic do not heal himself without being ordered to do it :/

so although he is most important part of squad, he can die one shot, another shot, third shot in some minutes , while in OFP he would heal himself

this "no order -no healing" is stupid in Arma2, i was talking it since first days of Arma2

another bug appears now with healing vehicles (ambulances), they made some memory point or what ? after one patch (can't remember which one) my ambulance won't heal anymore, just HMMV at rear side of it (so it must be somekind of memory point issue)

AI sometimes found way to heal , but me - as a player - i don't see option "heal at Tarpan Ambulance" "heal at Lublin Ambulance" :/

so i can place even dozen of custom ambulances and die after one , second , third wound :/

game is game, ambulance simulate healing process, recovering (so if they are present, why only BIS ambulance heal )

Sorry bud /\ but i think you misunderstood me i was being sarcastic, though yes it would be good to have the medics heal themselfs, its not a good idea to set up shop in the middle of a killing field. The fact you got shot means your somewhere wrong, to stop at that place once hit is suicidal haha!

LOL. In most of my missions with OFP you never had a medic with you. You needed to bring the wounded guy to a med tent 10,000 meters away on foot. That sucked but everyone went slow and did not want to get shot.

I think alot of it has to do with nostalgia and the darker atmosphere of OFP.

I disagree. The campaign really was better then anything since from BIS.

Aside from a few very innovative missions in Red Harvest (Manhattan comes to mind), BIS hasn't come close to making a campaign as good as CWC.

And for the life of me I can't figure out why. What made CWC so great was A) It's length and depth B) The fact that there were numerous down times just driving a truck or patrolling to build tension and C) The overall cinematic feel while still being completely open world. The large breadth of missions where you were just a regular grunt taking orders was also a big part of the experience.

It would be so easy to go back to that concept but for some reason every campaign now is short and shallow. Red Harvest was the closest thing to that CWC feeling and it was so buggy and short that it still didn't get there.

I'm hoping BIS doesn't continue to follow the path of modern FPS games with 8-10 hour campaigns that are over in a flash. The 40 missions of CWC were just epic.

Edited by bonchie

I'm hoping BIS doesn't continue to follow the path of modern FPS games with 8-10 hour campaigns that are over in a flash. The 40 missions of CWC were just epic.

What are you talking about? I wish games went BACK to the 8-10 hour campaign. MOH took me 4 hours to beat, MW2 (I borrowed my roommates copy, i never bought it) took me 5. Sadly, FPS games are falling farther and farther from single player campaigns, and putting more and more into multiplayer.

I do agree that the best FPS experiences I have had were in the longer, more indepth campaigns like that of Half-Life and HL2. Sadly, I think the trend will continue, and I'll have to wait on FPS RPGs like Mass Effect and the few companies like Valve to deliver a true single player experience.