Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

Bohemia's realism.

It seems many people are under the influence that the only things that made OFP and Operation Arrowhead realistic are the theatre's, I beg to differ. Each and every release has been realistic and it has nothing to do with the environment it takes place in, that is moreso theatre authenticity.

The realism that drives behind the RV engine is the way things work IE tanks being more than simply boxes that explodes when shot enough and only that, but rather a box that can be taken out of action by destroying it's gun or tracks, not just it's armor.

It's about flying some helicopters and being shot through the glass with certain weapons, or not being shot if it applies, it's about as a soldier being able to have various stances, equpiment, the ability to arrange that equipment and to be wounded in ways that make you less effective rather than being a simple number to death.

Operation Flashpoint took place on an island with a rogue soviet general and a fraction of the army, Armed Assault took place on an island with an odd regional mix of tropical and european landform, did those happen and do they exist?

If the rules of reality can be emulated to a degree then it stands on it's own as being called realistic, and while it is true that the RV engine does not emulate reality in all aspects, it does more than most.

I agree with those points completely.

The "realistic" part of Arma/OFP has always been the combat itself. Partially, to the point of being unfair to the player (like the AK snipers in OFP). The gear never has been accurate to the last nut and bolt. Just think of the US soldiers in Armed Assault: they were originally meant to be USMC, which is evident from the cover of the officer, and the fact that the Uniform itself doesn´t have the velcro of the actual ACU. It´s Marines with an UCP texture.

Then Arma 2, where you get Russian soldiers using AK-107s and other tidbits like the XM8s, which were expanded upon in PMC. SCARs for the US Army in OA. Etc.

The whole discussion about this tank being unrealistic and that kit being wrong is completely moot, as long as the gameplay at the heart of the OFP/Arma series remains unchanged. Every gun shoots, every helicopter flies, every missle explodes. Wether the missle is from 1973 or 2015 -really- doesn´t matter, unless you like an older setting as a matter of personal preferrence.

I also agree . I don't know why people correlate the near future with lack of realism .

I also agree . I don't know why people correlate the near future with lack of realism .

Because in tzhe past simulatuions about future warfare (F"" in the 90's) turned out to be quite bullshit fantasy after a few years in terms of realism.

Technological advancment is making slower steps in reality as proposed in Therory. Like back in teh 60's when everybody thought for sure that by 2010 war would be fought from and in Space...it is not...it is fought in dusty mountains by fighters with AKs and RPGs can still hold their ground and we stil burn fossile fuels istead of powerign our 200 ton Land Detroyer Tanks with Cold matter fusion. Powered exoskalletons and combat ready Energy weapons where announced for the 90's in the 80's...I still don't see it in use.

Fantasy is often Centuries ahead of reality when it dreams of next decades.

Edited by Beagle

Because in tzhe past simulatuions about future warfare (F"" in the 90's) turned out to be quite bullshit fantasy after a few years in terms of realism.

Technological advancment is making slower steps in reality as proposed in Therory. Like back in teh 60's when everybody thought for sure that by 2010 war would be fought from and in Space...it is not...it is fought in dusty mountains by fighters with AKs and RPGs can still hold their ground and we stil burn fossile fuels istead of powerign our vehicles with Cold matter fusion.

Seems to be less the advancement and more the fielding due to budget and other constraints.

Seems to be less the advancement and more the fielding due to budget and other constraints.
does not make a difference..the main reason is and was that the projects used to give little advantage in field test but exploding costs.

Well, with the exception of the "Super Hokus Pokus", all weapons and vehicles shown in the Arma3 screenshots so far seem to exist already. No laz0rs, space fighters, light sabres or plasma grenades yet. ;)

Also, I endorse NodUnits first post 100%.

Authenticity is the thing. Given a standard of technology, does the game accurately emulate what we might reasonably expect to happen? I don't think it matters too much the technology used, only that the human simulation of use of that technology is reasonably simulated.

As such, it's more important to gift the BIS world with AI able to use muskets or SA-80s, and to have the weapon's individual requirements and abilities to affect the AI's abilities.

Helos or horses, the AI might be reasonably expected to handle each mode of transport appropriately based on appropriate abilities and risk assessments. Get the AI right, and it's adaption to item config, and all else follows :)

Edited by DMarkwick

Authenticity is the thing. Given a standard of technology, does the game accurately emulate what we might reasonably expect to happen? I don't think it matters too much the technology used, only that the human simulation of use of that technology is reasonably simulated.

As such, it's more important to gift the BIS world with AI able to use muskets or SA-80s, and to have the weapon's individual requirements and abilities to affect the AI's abilities.

Helos or horses, the AI might be reasonably expected to handle each mode of transport appropriately based on appropriate abilities and risk assessments. Get the AI right, and it's adaption to item config, and all else follows :)

This!

I really don't give a fly fuck about what kind of gun I am using, enither if it is a magpul christmas tree special edition AK or front loading repeater as long as their handling and ballistic is correctly model, but with that said I am also sick tired about the fact that both M16 and M4 share the same ballistic in un-mod ArmA2:p

I will only be worried when I see

Enter Battle Walker as

Driver

Gunner

Cargo

Space Cadet

etc

when standing next to something.

cj

i see now in teaser a tank with a future over gun , i see infaterie mens wits a battlesuit from 2080 and more little shit things to ............

i have have played arma and ofp - only all this years the atmosphere and the realunits....................

now sorry bis, im out - this kill the game

concratulations for you new 16teen year old cashcow..

arma is not a ghost recon or a battlefield - a good game makes not the spacial tactical hero factor !

and the atmosphere are not better with future spacials - thats the point

and shut up guys, with gametimeline arma 4 is then the great moon war with aliens ?

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

i see now in teaser a tank with a future over gun , i see infaterie mens wits a battlesuit from 2080 and more little shit things to ............

i have have played arma and ofp - only all this years the atmosphere and the realunits....................

arma is not a ghost recon or a battlefield - a good game makes not the spacial tactical hero factor !

and shut up guys, with gametimeline arma 4 is then the great moon war with aliens ?

What the hell are you on about?

What the hell are you on about?

Basicly - he don't like the fiction stuff , that's all

You guys are making a hell of a lot of assumptions. You know what I got from the trailer, specifically the tank firing? It's firing a SABOT round, and the CGI is limited therefore they didn't concentrate on making the cannon recoil.

You guys coming up with freakin' railguns are nuts. :confused:

XM8 not confirmed for A3

Gundam style battle suits not confirmed for A3

Conquest game modes not confirmed for A3

CoD game mechanics not confirmed for A3

Cash cow status not awarded by Activision.

Also can we please consider what technology we have now as a guide? Is that helmet so outlandish when compared to the HDMS?

f-35_HMDS.jpg

ArmA3 is correct in everything except the conflict in place and the weapons used. (By todays standard.)

Damn is that time of the month, you got ya periode, or what...

Dont like it, dont buy, or wait and see what the community cook up of addons.. Damn a hizzyfit for no damn reason...!

i personaly like the degree of futurism very much because its pretty reasonable for near future (btw do we know when this will be excactly? miller was born somewhen after the berliner mauer was torn down?).

because the world seems to be at war in these times, the nations began to invest more money to develop new weapons and vehicles, which is a pretty good reason to have a little futuristic look to all the new stuff.

the tanks are still running on tracks, the helis have rotor blades, the cars have wheels and even the jets dont use some star wars engines - so iam happy!

and what do the haters think what the future of the arma series should look like? M16, AKs and Abrams untill ArmA 10? no thanks!