Sign in to follow this  
nodunit

Bohemia's realism.

For me, the realism in armaverse is the people who play it. You can play with a bunch of counterboys and destroy everything that moves in your sight, running like crazy and respawning in 5 sec if you die, or play with serious players, with a command line, tactic simulations, etc. I mean, you have the respawn button there, but NO, you just wait for a medic 10-30 minutes or more, you dont open fire if it is not necesary, you dont touch any vehicle if this is not your role, you dont grab enemy weapons even if you run out of ammo, etc, etc, etc

Guest Tyvern_Sniper-Elite

Navy has a railgun in R&D

The airforce has airborne laser in testing

The Army has a giant subwoffer

The airforce has a less than lethal laser rifle a.k.a. PHaSEr in R&D

The USMC has a device called dazzler for stunning bad guys

the USN SEALs have the 9-bang....it's a updated flashbang

people on youtube have coilguns

people on youtube have plasma gun prototypes

people on youtube have guassian rifles

....these are all real weapons.

Then what do we miss? Concussive warfare? Shooting every projectiles that will blast a tiny explosions to shatter everything on your way?

Edited by Dysta

My beard ensnares anything up to 7.62mm... Well a bit less now... I shaved recently...

My beard ensnares anything up to 7.62mm... Well a bit less now... I shaved recently...

That explains why Tier 1 operators have all those bushy beards...it renders the lower half of their face completely bullet proof! (Up to a 50.cal that is;))

And my pubic hair seems to handle those pesky mines..

but all I want is a green, eco-friedly, sustainable trebuchet, for a cleaner healther future.

Guest Tyvern_Sniper-Elite

the concussives from a electromagnetically firing rifle is the sound waves coming off of the round going mach 5+....if railguns are at there full potential by then....

I'm more intrested in the realism of the enviroment and the scenario.

I want U.S. soldiers to be recogniseably U.S.

In the original OpF game, the scenario of the rogue Russian General wasn't what gave the enviroment realism, it was that it looked like the kind of country that you would expect to fight a Russian army in.

The Russians looked Russian and the Americans looked American. They had all the right gear and lots of it. Army sized amounts.

It had roads and forests and towns and mountains and farms and tractors. And they looked northern European.

More than this, the scenario's had a feeling of plausibility, plant a roadside bomb and escape afterwards. take a convoy from one village to the next.

They were a refreshing break from the single handly destroy the invading legions of hell armed only with a handgun, or even the Rainbow Six scenario where a Swat team of just 4 would be sent in to kill 30.

I certainly like the stuff like tanks having weak points etc. Or being able to change stance and I do feel this adds to the illusion of realism.

I don't really want to wax too lyrical about the realism of the game mechanics though, because I have too many images in my mind of tanks flying through the air or helicopters upside down bouncing up and down on trees like trampolenes.

One of the things I liked most about the original in terms of authenticity and game mechanics was that they had chosen an era that the game engine was better able to model.

Using weapons system with a 8 km engagement range, pretty much asks for a computer that can happily run an 8 km view distance.

Using heat vision to challengelessly snipe a zillion baddies has very limited gameplay appeal.

So I felt that the Cold War was a better scenario than all the more recent ones. It allowed the game mechanics to exhibit better realism.

Satchel charge or Javelin? In terms of gameplay, my vote is for Satchel Charge every time.

In real life, I am not looking for any challenge. I want the easist most risk free kill available. But in a game...it's fun to have to mix it up a bit.

Edited by Baff1