British Troops DLC released & Official 1.01 Update

Are you buying the DLC?  

1112 members have voted

1. 1. Are you buying the DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm not sure
    • I'm waiting for the price to drop

So is BI going to force its publishers/distributors of the DLC (like steam or sprocket) to stick to the letter of EU law with respect to cross border trade for citizens of EU member states to elect to purchase any item from another EU member state and to pay the relevant taxes in that EU member state rather than their own so they may take advantage of currency changes like £ vs. € or different prices in € between EU member state due to the application of how taxes like VAT is applied at different percentages?

I only ask because I exercise my right to do this quite often as I run my own company and purchase equipment and parts from the cheapest places around the EU.

e.g. I would like to by in € rather than in £ as it IS cheaper for me and I have a RIGHT to do so rather than be forced into paying in £ because steam/sprocket want to make more money by doing precisely NOTHING bar potentially charge for converting £ to € rather than it be converted at little or no cost at the time of purchase via the credit or debit card company!

I guess you can pay in euros if you wanted, still, paying £7.68 seemed fine to me, i dunno what it would have been in euros once converted...

Got my pre-order in, can't wait till the 26th now!

(I pre-ordered mine for £7.69 )

£7.68 :p

So is BI going to force its publishers/distributors of the DLC (like steam or sprocket) to stick to the letter of EU law with respect to cross border trade for citizens of EU member states [...] and to pay the relevant taxes in that EU member state

An interesting point, certainly; it's probably possible to do so, perhaps by proxy, perhaps by other means: http://www.steamprices.com/uk/about

However, since the current exchange rate puts 8.99Eu at around £7.38, perhaps your potential savings arn't going to as significant as you might hope. Unless, ofcourse, you buy everyone in your company a copy of the game as an early Christmas bonus.

Sarcasm aside, BIS are more careful about the disparity between regions and prices than other developers and publishers, and that should be recognised.

http://www.steamprices.com/uk/topripoffs

RiE.

Take steam games, it has a registered part of it in the UK which serves as the method to apply VAT etc and the distribution of VAT to EU member states for purchases by people in that relevant country, thus ALL the applicable VAT for the EU enters the system via the HMRC (UK tax department) who then distribute it to the respective EU countries treasuries/tax department.

If the above was not the case then it would be illegal for steam games (if they were a USA company without part of the company being registered in the EU) to levy US federal taxes or VAT on an export out of the USA and they would have NO mandate to apply EU taxes/VAT on imports into the EU as there company wouldn’t be resident in the EU.

By implication of how tax/VAT is levied via as in an EU import by e.g. steam games means my rights my rights as an EU citizen should be applied and take precedence.

Working the other way imports from the USA to the UK vs. UK import duty/VAT given $9.99 = ~£6.40 = ~€7.80 (including taxes)

Excerpt from HMRC Reference Notice (April 2010)

2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?

• Commercial consignments of £18 or less are free from customs duty and import VAT. For example, goods purchased over the internet with an intrinsic value not exceeding £18, will not be charged any duty or VAT but this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet waters.

• If you are sent a gift with a value of £40 or less, and which complies with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4, it will be free from customs duty and import VAT, but this does not include alcohol, tobacco, perfumes and toilet waters.

• Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9

If e.g. steam games or sprocket as publishers get a fixed price per sale and BI get the remainder then BI would make more money by EU citizens purchasing from the EU country with the lowest VAT rate, they the customer would still pay €8.99 BUT there would be more percent of that €8.99 left over after taxes to support BI.

Yes the above and my prior post may seam like penny pinching :rolleyes: BUT it also comes down to principle and ones rights in a single competitive free market. ;)

The background photos on that page are priceless :D

It can not be played separately and does require the original Arma 2 : Operation Arrowhead (or Combined Operations) in order to be played.

Does this mean (as I feared) that those without the DLC can't play in MP on those servers who do? Or does it just mean the DLC isn't "standalone?"

Edited by Durka-Durka

I guess you can pay in euros if you wanted, still, paying £7.68 seemed fine to me, i dunno what it would have been in euros once converted...

Got my pre-order in, can't wait till the 26th now!

£7.68 :p

£7.57 if paid by euros with paypal. ;)

Does this mean (as I feared) that those without the DLC can't play in MP on those servers who do? Or does it just mean the DLC isn't "standalone?"

As has been mentioned countless times in this thread, DLC is a mod and if you don't have the mod you can't play missions that use the mod. Server's got nothing to do with it.

Just thought I'd point out a current camo I've seen.. Kinda like the currents Ka-52 camo :P agusta-westland-lynx-wildcat.jpg

Oh yeah just posting it in case there's time to do an extra skin....

£7.57 if paid by euros with paypal. ;)

Oh noes I've spent 11p too much lol! How will i find money to eat now? :)

Actually I was suprised it wasn't £7.99, its always nice to find something is less than you thought, even if its only 30 or so pence. And yeah the background images are indeed priceless. I feel that the Brit on the right is going to say a really bad joke for some reason.

Oh and is the US guy on the left a picture of Placebo moderating the forums? :p

Ok, ther's no problem for steam versions... but: for those purchased retailed versions of A2 and A2OA from what store should they purchase this DLC?

"This DLC is available only in English and Czech languages but it is compatible with all language versions of original A2:Operation Arrowhead and A2:Combined Operations."

:S

Any multi-language version compatible with retailed versions of the game? .-. I need the Italian version (Italian-English-French-Spanish).. I don't like have different languages in different pieces of the game :/

I don't like have different languages in different pieces of the game :/

Well as I read it those are the only two languages on offer (anywhere), I guess another publisher might offer others but I've not heard of it.

Anywhere to pre-order using USD? Don't feel like spending 2x the price for this from Sprocket since it's only in Euros and I don't want to use Steam. :)

Well as I read it those are the only two languages on offer (anywhere), I guess another publisher might offer others but I've not heard of it.

argh .-.

the Italian distributor is halifax but they don't say nothing about this DLC .-.

505 games (that should be a digital bros division) and idea games don't say nothing too .-.

Edited by DarkRadeon

Oh noes I've spent 11p too much lol! How will i find money to eat now? :)

When you're a Student, 11p will buy you a tin of Value Baked Beans....

Haha true that! Infact I think in the Witney Sainsburys the cheapest noodles cost 7p! So i'd have 4 pence to spare!

Out of interest when does the download unlock on sprocket? By that i mean based on which timezone?

British Student life: :toilet:
Haha true that! Infact I think in the Witney Sainsburys the cheapest noodles cost 7p! So i'd have 4 pence to spare!

Out of interest when does the download unlock on sprocket? By that i mean based on which timezone?

Seeing as it's BIS I assume it'll be released on the last minute of Samoan local time (Gmt -11) :p,

na just joking.. I guess it'll get uploaded as early as possible, but I wouldn't bet money on it, get a good night's sleep before the 28th; got a feeling many of us are gonna need it :D.

Witney.... ah it's such a small, small world :)

They cost a bit more in the new M&S tho ;)

Grow up? Look at your post. Who are you to say it is 'bad to release something for the price it is'? And who are you to say it's 'small'. And wtf, how could you compare it to MW2 who's map packs are nothing but ported maps and cost more than this DLC anyway.

No you're not obligated to buy this from BIS, no one said you are. But your crappy opinion of what makes a DLC worth while is irrelevant and pointless if you're going to word it like that.

It's not even out and your whining about how the campaign is going to turn out. Spoiled little gamer.

Stop raging at your computer screen it gives you increased blood pressure which is dangerous if it happens too often. Judging that you lept forth into using an insult in your first reply shows that you are quick to get angry over very small things, even somebody far away on the interwebs having a different opinion to you!

I mean I thought this was a public forum where differing views were accepted but evidently not!