Sign in to follow this  
Zedrein

Military SciFi Projects Thread

3ds as in 3dmax? If so I'll happily send some helpful tutorials your way, you won't prefer O2 for modelling for very long I can garuntee you that. ;)

Yes, that 3ds. :p Is 2013 any different in terms of functionality than older versions?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Are there any A2 based tutorials for Max, showing perhaps the full process from starting to having a working item in game.

Just to get back on topic: I have had the notion to put one of these 59663.jpg in A2 to see how they really would fare within a proper combat environment.

I have the concept on how to make the control side of things work as they are actually broken down into three separate control systems with individual cameras for each which for fans of the MGS4 game can clearly see in game if they hang around long enough without getting stood on.

The legs are independent and will be the driver, the main turret has its own system and camera that would be the gunner, and there is the main system with the 360 degree top mounted cam that would in turn become the commander part, maybe with an additional controllable weapon.

My biggest concern is how to combine the working legs, which I would assume I would have to create as a soldier unit, and then having the armour pieces attached.

The concept is there, as it is basically a tank with legs on, pretty much how it looks in fact.

But is it feasible or should I just assign it to the trashcan before giving myself shitloads of grief?

Why not make Metal Gear Rex? I think that would be the most badass one to do. ;)

640px-Rexfield.jpg

Nuclear Rail-gun.

Vs.

"MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

:rolleyes:

b00ce

Why not use the Addon Request Thread or a PM? I think it would be more appropriate.

Proper Request

Vs.

"SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM"

Fair enough. :)

Anyway, I made a slight concession for the sake of utility with the Morita, I added a groove on the carry handle for sights. I want to keep it as true to the original concept as possible, but I also want it to be useful.

Morita_WIP_4.png

Compared to the original in the movie.

image23.jpg

Thoughts? Should I keep the groove for the sake of making it useful? Or stick with continuity, user friendliness be damned?

Thoughts? Should I keep the groove for the sake of making it useful? Or stick with continuity, user friendliness be damned?

Stay true, and to hell with the consequences.

I can't remember if anyone ever went ADS in the film at all and they were just a bunch of hip firing bullet spammers.

Maybe Rasczak when he TKs the grunt carried away with the bug as a mercy killing, but I think that was a sniper rifle he used.

Stay true, the real fans won't complain.

When Rico shot Rasczak after his legs were chewed off, he was "aiming down the sights". lol

I'm still torn, though. I might make both. Who knows.

The marksman rifle was just a Morita with a huge ass scope riveted to it, no grove.

SniperRifle8.jpg

Do Warhammer40k units !! ;)

Space marines, Tyrnides/Zergs, Eldars/Protoss and etc ;)

do Cobra/Destro/GI story/units ! :)

Do James Bond units !! ;-)

and of course - Starship Troopers units with jumpsuits, Heavy Chivalry heavy mechs and rest stuff ;-)

and of course - Starship Troopers units with jumpsuits, Heavy Chivalry heavy mechs and rest stuff ;-)

this is not a request thread laddie...

Go look in the OFP forums.. all these things were done there, and done fairly well (Admitadely the Starship Troopers mod did have some flaws but later releases fixed them)

Also b00ce, with the Colonial Marine stuff, are we going to see a Motion Tracker?

Also b00ce, with the Colonial Marine stuff, are we going to see a Motion Tracker?

Hopefully. I have yet to model it, but I do have some reference images for it. The main hurtle is the scripting.

@ b00ce,

First, nice to meet other Aliens fans!

Also, nice to see such appreciation of Aliens being worked into ARMA 2. Great job.

Slight update. Haven't really worked on anything lately (Dawnguard got me back into Skyrim :p), but I did manage to start UV mapping and made the receiver for the Morita today.

Morita_WIP_5.png

Picture A (129 kB)

/Picture B (135 kB)

I have some stuff I am working on. Pretty difficult considering all of the available tutorials are 2-3 years old and weren't written with Arma in mind. Using placeholders from Google Sketchup and tutorials found on the bistudio wiki, and unpboing mods that I have, I've managed to get a working battle rifle and proto-ODST. The problem, right now I am working on a prototype pelican. I figured it would be simple, make a plane like the Lesson 6 tutorial said, add in the "vtol=1" found in my AV8B mods and it would work. Instead I have a plane that goes 100, and when I flick on the auto-hover it slows to a stop and falls to the ground.

Anyone have any resources that actually explain how to create a vehicle for arma 2 that isn't on a website that hasn't been updated since 2006 nor is hoping you figure it out from unzipping 100 pbo's?

Edited by AmericanFAC

29fee5y.jpg Managed to get it in game, flies pretty fast, can hover and do what I Want it to do. Set up the landing gear exactly as the tutorial says, no dice. Same with the proxies for the player, I set it to jeepdriver and jeepcodriver and I spawn as a magical camera right outside of the cargo bay.... Hopefully I'll figure it out tommorow.

Nice pelican! Looks pretty accurate. :)

son8eq.jpg Okay, this is weird. I have 2 proxies for the driver. With them placed where the seats are, when I am in the vehicle I spawn as this weird thing that has a camera angle in the back of the cargo while flying, I am unable to move the camera and look around. So I tried moving them. Moved them forward as seen, but now I am kinda right outside of the cockpit. Is there more specific names or do I need to call the name in the config?

That is what the picture is of. The tutorial told me to place proxies and name them in the main model (not memory), I did, and I don't show up nor appear where the proxy is placed. With it moved far ahead like picture above I get somewhere behind the chairs in the cockpit. Its truly strange. I am downloading some template models for Arma 1 from armaholic as there aren't any for A2 there, hopefully this will tell me what I need to know.

Edit: Opened up a BI A10 template, had a proxy named "\Ca\temp\proxies\A10\Pilot", going to try that, I had "AV8B2_Pilot" and "jeepdriver" as the names before that.

Edit 2: Okay, I am spawning in the seat now "with feet dangling outside of the cockpit, which is great. But I still don't see from first person even when I am in first person, still from behind really close but not as far as Third person.

Edit 3: The above proxy worked, now I need to find one for cargo and find out how to get that landing gear to work. http://i47.tinypic.com/2v8k9xj.jpg (126 kB)

Edited by AmericanFAC