Sign in to follow this  
pauliesss

New beta 71900 is up!(OA)

I'm not liking the new recoil that much. A bit too overdone for me personally. I feel like a weak cripple trying to handle a rifle. I mean I am in RL, but I don't need a game to remind me, lol. I try pulling down on the mouse when firing, but it doesn't seem to do anything--the rifle keeps going up no matter how much pulling down I do. Don't get me wrong, in the same sense I like improvements to recoil to feel more real instead of gamey, but maybe tone it down a wee bit?

Recoil is way overdone. The m4 should mainly kick backwards, with minimal muzzle rise.

Love the new recoil, it could perhaps be toned down 25% but please, no more than that. Firing the M60 from a standing position now feels like an exercise in futility (as it should).

I'm not liking the new recoil that much. A bit too overdone for me personally. I feel like a weak cripple trying to handle a rifle. I mean I am in RL, but I don't need a game to remind me, lol. I try pulling down on the mouse when firing, but it doesn't seem to do anything--the rifle keeps going up no matter how much pulling down I do. Don't get me wrong, in the same sense I like improvements to recoil to feel more real instead of gamey, but maybe tone it down a wee bit?

This exactly!

and hi Betsalel ;)

The recoil is ridiculous... take it away. The game is unplayable for me without the beta patch and with the beta patch I can finally play OA without much lag, however, I am not willing to switch to the beta patch for better performance if it means that I can't even hit anything twice in less than 2 seconds. I thought it was actually getting closer to a simulation game I guess I am mistaken. Assault rifles do not kick UP when you fire them they kick back with minimal movement on the sights and it only takes less than a second in real life to re-sight your target. Also this makes the AI ridiculously more accurate than you and gives them a huge advantage over you.

Yeah, don't remove it, just reduce it.

now I'm not too sure. will test more.

Edited by jpinard

Yha iv gave the beta an try, first beta i did for the serise. Yes the recoil is bad lol but, the lag issue is the worst of the end. Beta did not do anything for the skipping around you do in the game. This realy needs to be fix! Iv done alot to try to get this running like ArmA 2, im not an tech and i know little about cpu's but i know that this issue with the lag and skipping in game is the game it self! Please fix this lag issue in this game.

Feels smoother overall with this beta. I agree with most people that the upwards recoil is overdone, I was expecting kickback tbh.

Also, trees still look fubar, and the Steam/mods/beta situation makes me want to An Hero :rolleyes:

Kickback is in there, muzzle climb is a tad overdone though, especially when standing. PR folks will certainly be happy though, AK47 feels just like in PR:BF2 insurgency :D

Runs really smooth even with 23-30 fps on my Win7-x64 i7-950

Trees, as said above, looks like water paint in the distance...gets OK as you get closer though. I prefer performance > nicer trees.

Upward recoil is a bit too much. You need to adjust your mouse after 7-6 single shots. Shooting FN-FAL standing is like shooting MG from the hip :D. The need to re-aim is clear but aiming in PC is already a hard job, so I believe it should be lowered a bit to somewhere in between original OA and BetaOA.

I had some micro-stutter, I see that it is gone now ... so gj :thumbs-up:

Are there any changes in the oaserver.exe? Or is it the same as previous ?

Edited by Cross

23-30FPS is Smooth? I'd definitely not settle with that.

Recoil is way too much, you cannot take 2-3 quick shots. The need to re-aim is clear but aiming in PC is already a hard job, so I believe should be lower a bit so somewhere in between original OA and BetaOA.

Recoil needs to come back down to start position but maybe a centimeter above.This way one shot and the recoil will be just above target and a burst will be a bit higher etc..From video the weapon recoils up and stays/not moving back down to start position...BAD and unrealistic.

---------- Post added at 05:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

23-30FPS is Smooth? I'd definitely not settle with that.

FPS is not BIS fault.That is your systems fault.But the stuttering is their issue.I have stuttering running 140fps.:(

Dont see how some people can say its ran smooth in the beta when they say they get 23-30FPS! Wow realy? Play ArmA 2 then come back to the OA and you can realy tell that OA is an big step back in prefromence. My ArmA 2 runs smooth OA does not! I get lag issues and im not even playing MP! My system spece are good to where on the back of the game it says minimum and recommended system requirements and im in the recommended field. So its not the computer its the OA game itself.

FPS is not BIS fault.That is your systems fault.But the stuttering is their issue.I have stuttering running 140fps.:(

Of course FPS is BIS' fault, don't tell me an i7 940, 5970 OC'd, 6GB DDR3 ram and a fast SSD can't handle this game at more than 45 average FPS with a few things set to very high and then it just goes down with "Disabled" for AA, "Normal" for AF etc.

( That's excluding the micro-stuttering which is BAAAAD, Zargabad is UNPLAYABLE for me, it's like playing a slideshow )

The game IS poorly optimized, especially for high-end hardware and that's a fact, as much as I love the game that's just how it is.

Agree with Sethos on this its poorly optimized! In same words its like playing an slideshow.

Some 0.0 LODs missing on some FLIR rifles. Brief tested, will post a complete list of weapons affected.

Might be worth for someone else checking those as well (AK74 for instance is missing first few lods)

Well...your eyes can hardly tell the difference after 30 fps. You need to set your video settings well and not be over ambitious. I play all @high + terrain@normal and PP&AA@low + VD=4000 with 8800 GTS.

ArmA is not designed to be as FPS and neither needs omfg-uber-1337-1500 fps for pwning-DM. Actually all you need is steady 30-40 FPS with a proper Gfx Card.

Most of my clan mates run OA with 40-60 FPS with i7s and latest graphics cards. If you cant, gotta check your win & arma settings. ;)

The thread is about betapatch...forget about what I write, tell what problems/improvements you see with this beta.

Edited by Cross

I agree its poorly optimised but only for loading textures.You have to understand that a large map is causing the cpu to not be able to prioritize cycles for graphics.This is why this happens for me......

Just now I was looking at a scene and it said 20fps.It didn't move for 15 seconds then it shot up to 50fps.Why does it do this??This is the beta also.

Well...your eyes can hardly tell the difference after 30 fps.

No but can feel it and there's a MASSIVE different between 30 and say, 45 or 50. 30 feels really sluggish and is unacceptable when you have a high-end rig, then it's a developer problem.

I like the new recoil, just tone it down a tad... performance wise i get about 5 fps more...

HOWEVER, what is up with 3rd person view with beta?

I don't play in this view but still lmao

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/Wayne8559/arma2oa2010-07-0222-53-46-96.jpg

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo14/Wayne8559/arma2oa2010-07-0222-53-39-35.jpg

Oh, and i like that we no longer have to insert the cd too. :)

Edited by Cossack8559

Dont know why some of ya keep going back to its an cpu problem, its not! ArmA 2 runs just fine. Same settings as ArmA 2 is in OA and FPS is 40 and up but still get the lag issue in game? Its OA! Not the CPU nor the Graphics Card. So you people on here saying its smooth are also saying your getting 20-30 FPS! Yet you dont see how the OA is like an slideshow with its lag?

@Wolfstriked

You say its cause of large maps, its an desert with not much as it is to Chernarus its much more then the desert! Yet in ArmA 2 it runs much smoother then OA. Beta did nothing for the lag issue at all!

1in1....the desert map in OA is excellent with a pegged 60fps and no stutter at all.I can load up me in a tank with freaking 40 infantry and no stutter pegged at 60fps.Utes in Arma2 was similar with some drops to 58/57.Chenarus is horrendous for me as is the two larger maps in OA.Its the cpu being slow that causes this IMO.If I stare at a scene and get 20fps that then jumps to 60 its not that my video card can't handle it....its that the cpu is busy thinking of what to render.Too large of a world sadly.

I am really surprised I am still stuttering like crazy in Zargasbad.I was hoping OA was the cure to my blues.What I don't understand is why I am still only using 2.5g of memory.If it is now LAA then why can't it use more?

Can anyone please help me with this:

I can't seem to figure out how to configure this beta with other mods. When I start the "launch arma 2 oa beta.exe", I can't activate any mods via the in-game modlauncher. I do not even see them.

What am I doing wrong?