• Rainbow Six: Vegas & Vegas 2
    • Ghost Recon 1 & Desert Siege & Jungle Storm
    • Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2
    • SWAT 3 & 4
    • Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis
    • ARMA 1 & 2
    • Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
    • Other..

Pick the best 3 all-time Tac Shooter for you and, if you dont mind, say why. I tried joining sequences that were basically an incremented version of the original, in a single entry.

Edited by vini_lessa

Well I would say OFP, ArmA, ArmA II- Why? Open worlds, a lot of commands, vehicles, replaybility.

Outside of those...

SWAT 4- I have only played the demo but I like it a lot. I like the idea of not having to kill people but to actually follow procedure.

Rainbow 6- The first tactical shooter I had ever played. It was the N64 version but I enjoyed it.

I'm not entirely sure I have played any others actually. Rogue Spear demo was fun. SWAT 3 never worked on my computer but I am sure I would've enjoyed it. The demo was fun at least. There was an old MAC game I played that was fun at my friend's house. Damage Incorporated I think. I can't remember much about it but if it was a tactical shooter I would count it.

Hidden and Dangerous was my first of this genre and the one that made the biggest impression on me.

Rainbow Six. The first one and Rogue Spear, best games in the series. Too bad i cant get it to work properly anymore :(

After that Hidden and Dangerous 1 and 2, H&D1 was like the first game for me, together with the first R6, played them both at the same time.

H&D for the open environment, R6 for proper CQB. Love them both.

Then Operation Flashpoint, made the biggest impression on me due to its huge open environments, the campaign's story and the vehicular combat that came along with it.

It's just pure gold.

Swat 4 is also a great game, the command system in that game is unequalled, perhaps only by simplicity in Battlezone 1 and 2.

Also i like how that game makes you feel that every kill is a fuck-up on your account.

CQB entries are amazing :)

I played Ghost Recon a lot as well, but the replayability of it hasnt really matured really well.

It's still a good game to play every often but without random enemy placement in missions it can get a bit stale, which leads to me rushing things and dying because of the rushing :p

Still, on your first go playing the game, it is nothing but absolute awesomeness. The AI does some pretty amazing stuff there, especially when they come under fire.

They dont just seek hard cover, but if there is none to be found they will actively seek out dark shadows to ly low in. F'ing amazing.

Operation Flashpoint , while i would not put it into the tactical shooter genre due to its more expanded scope, it broke so many grounds to me that i continue to work on it and don't see myself moving away from it one day.

Ghost Recon, the best tactical shooter ever, replayability extremely high considering i play again from time to time and always enjoy every minutes of it.

Swat 3, completely awesome in every ways, played this and its impressive free upgrades for years thanks to lots of good community content. One of the best multiplayer pre-game system i saw too with the "lobby".

Rogue Spear being a close 4th to me, it was Rainbow Six done entirely better in every ways. Spent so much time in plannification of my assaults, just to end into various catastrophic results when left to AI.

Ghost Recon (2001)

America's Army 1

America's Army 2

And upcoming Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Well first seeing Graw, R6 Vegas and Dragon Rising here is completely outrageous ...

Well secondly they're all really different and I won't try to tell which is the best.

Still that right now, only H&D2, SWAT4, Ghost Recon, RavenShield and Arma2 are the tactical shooters I still play regularly with Project Reality and Red Orchestra.

Well first seeing Graw, R6 Vegas and Dragon Rising here is completely outrageous ...

Well, It's a public poll so you know precisely who to direct your rage at :D

Can i have a revote please in my hastyness to read the thread and vote i clicked on the second from bottom choice and now i fell a terrible erge to smack my head against my computer desk.

but my first choise would of been CWC

#1 R6,RS gets my vote. From mission pre-planning, roster and kit selection to action phase and MP, there was nothing comparable at that time. 1st Tactical shooter i played, 1st clan ...what a :cool: time it was.

#2 SWAT3+ similar setting, slower paced gameplay, controls felt somewhat crude, MP not that popular. I bought 3&4 + "Stetchkoff".

#3 OFP came later, and the setting is completely different from the above. It plays in it's own league, and due to it's wide scope more of a jack of all trades, master of none - and still under construction. I love it. :D

Cause its not like this poll is going to be biased anyways. :rolleyes:

OFP, Swat 4, and the earlier Ghost recons and Rainbow Six 3's. I tried rogue spear or whatever and quit since the friendly AI couldn't even toss a grenade into a room.

Can i have a revote please in my hastyness to read the thread and vote i clicked on the second from bottom choice and now i fell a terrible erge to smack my head against my computer desk.

but my first choise would of been CWC

lmfao, way to not read the title :D

-OFP

-ARMA 1+2

-Sorry to dissapoint all you realism die-hards, but my last choice was 'other';

specifically being cod4 with the 82ndab tactical-realism mod. I tried it out when I played cod4 and didn't play on any other cod4 server ever-since, I was enthralled of it because I could quickly get on for a game if I didn't have much time, all of the players played tactically and were friendly and most of the players on the server had a mic, which made it great fun.

There were also a load of ARMA and ARMA2 players on there :)

Cause its not like this poll is going to be biased anyways. :rolleyes:

OFP, Swat 4, and the earlier Ghost recons and Rainbow Six 3's. I tried rogue spear or whatever and quit since the friendly AI couldn't even toss a grenade into a room.

My most memorable moment from that demo was watching as the #2 guy tried to toss a flashbang into a room, hit #1 in the back and blinded the whole team. I still liked it a lot though. I never got around to getting the whole game though.

R6- totally original pre-planning was great.

Arma2- the culmination of the best open world combat game series.

Swat4- Loved it. Wish they would continue to expand this series.

Never got the love affair with Ghost Recon though I never owned it. I guess the demo is not indicitive of it's greatness as I found that utterly boring.

Thinking again, maybe I should have included Hidden&Dangerous and Delta Force in the place of Vegas and GRAW.

Hey, I got curious about Hidden & Dangerous. I remember playing a demo of it and liking. Is H&D2 worth getting nowadays? (by the way, I dont mind gfx, as Im playing R6 right now).

And comeon Paul, dont be shy - admit you liked Vegas. :D

EDIT: opos, now I see Paul voted in Dragon RIsing, not Vegas.

Edited by vini_lessa

Never got the love affair with Ghost Recon though I never owned it. I guess the demo is not indicitive of it's greatness as I found that utterly boring.

It´s an even more slow paced game than ArmA. Incredibly difficult at times, but most rewarding if you can actually beat the mission. Also the Spetsgruppa Vympel mod added some amazingly well made and researched units & weapons. The maker of the mod (and OFP´s never to be forgotten Marine Assault Pack) now being employed at BI´s, is speaking for the quality of said mods.

http://www.baconbomb.com/modworks/index.html

GR1 should be freeware by now, i remember having it downloaded. Comes at the cost of ingame advertising, but i´ve never seen that, most likely helps telling your firewall to block the gr.exe:D

I forgot the absolute best tactical shooter from my list. Project IGI. that game kicked some major ass.

All ARMA, any OpF before DR, any Rainbow Six before Vegas, Any GR before 2, and all the SWATs.

Hidden and Dangerous 2, Rogue Spear and Ghost Recon would be my top 3.

ArmA II of course, and SWAT 4. :)

and DR, not

:rofl:

Hidden and Dangerous = Class

BIS Games (OFP, A1 A2)

R6 (up until Letdown)

SWAT 3 & 4

GR (I liked the originals better but to give Ubiwank some credit, the GRAW series was actually pretty good)

Arma 2 and don't forget about Operation Arrowhead. I know it's not out yet, but it's sure to be as solid as Arma 2 if not better. :D:cool:

Edited by swtx