Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

Advanced Combat Environment (A.C.E.) 2 - v1.0 stable

Has anyone had success using any of the flare-happy aircraft in missions with high player count (20+)? And/or T-72Bs for that matter? Both missions I made with those caused massive desync and I couldn't find the reason. It's very unlikely that it's a script issue. Full thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=96496

Sorry for posting this in multiple places but it had been a while and I still haven't found a solution, especially considering that getting 20+ people to try see if a mission is working is pretty much impossible, for me at least.

Can anyone tell me how to use the C4? It lets me place it, but no action menu to detonate it. However, when placing claymores I get an action menu to take safety off claymore and then detonate. I figured the same would happen with C4 but I get nothing and can't figure out how to set it off. Any help would be great, thanks.

I tried to play around with the different weapons, and I saw that some silenced bullets (M110 for example) have a name without the "SD". I also saw that, when gearing, if I try to get a non silenced bullet it disappears, and it's replaced by the silenced bullet. This seems to be related to a ace_suppmag parameter in the config.cpp. I wonder if this is intentional. If it is, I guess the non silenced bullet at least shouldn't disappear. Put it back where it came from

Lots of cool weapons by the way

Hi there,

has anyone had any luck so far using the laser guided missiles on russian aircraft?

I tried them lately, but using the laser designator is very tough, as in zoomed in view, the target does not correspond to any hud markers, making hitting very hard.

Also ordering the AI to do that in a SU34 did nothing for me.

If you have got it running, I would be glad for an answer :)

(BTW if that is really the current targetting mode for russian aircraft, I have to say its a bit bonkers, russian aircraft have tv targetable lasers, which can autotrack a target, see LOMAC for (a rough) reference).

Cheers,

Crusader

Edited by TheCrusader

What is the Problem there? Do you know how these warning receivers work in RL?

They detect the IR-Radiation of any incoming missles motor/engine upon launch and then fire the flares/chaff.

I thought only some aircraft had sophisticated auto-release mechanisms, and others relied on the pilot doing it after getting visual contact. Would a civilian Mi-8 really have the former?

AFAIK, Arma 2 can only give different ballistics/etc based on the magazine of the weapon and not based of the weapon itself, so what ACE2 does is replace the "standard" magazines with those specific to that weapon "behind the scenes" so that proper behavior is achieved. That way (as it is IRL) you can use normal rounds in suppressed weapons and get suppressed effect but still have pretty much the same ballistics as a non-suppressed weapon, or use subsonic ammunition (where it actually exists, I doubt there is 0.5" subsonic ammunition IRL and TBH I dont' think anyone actually uses subsonic 5.56).

AFAIK, Arma 2 can only give different ballistics/etc based on the magazine of the weapon and not based of the weapon itself, so what ACE2 does is replace the "standard" magazines with those specific to that weapon "behind the scenes" so that proper behavior is achieved. That way (as it is IRL) you can use normal rounds in suppressed weapons and get suppressed effect but still have pretty much the same ballistics as a non-suppressed weapon, or use subsonic ammunition (where it actually exists, I doubt there is 0.5" subsonic ammunition IRL and TBH I dont' think anyone actually uses subsonic 5.56).

Is it possible to give suppressed weapons two firing sounds- one with subsonic ammo and one with normal ammo? Because the latter would be much louder. In Arma the muzzle blast is the same, even if SD rounds have no ballistic crack.

The ACE sound for the Tac-50 is so incredibly quiet it seems like it must be a subsonic round.

I thought only some aircraft had sophisticated auto-release mechanisms, and others relied on the pilot doing it after getting visual contact. Would a civilian Mi-8 really have the former?

I don't know how it is in RL with the MI-8 and neither how it is portrayed in the Arma2 game, IE if the civilian MI-8 hast the necessary detectors or not.

However, no matter if automatically countermeasures are launched or if "only" a warning tone appears and the pilot has to do it manually, still the warning receiver would alarm on unguided/Radar-guided missles fired towards the helicopter.

Edited by mr.g-c
automatically -> manually

Is it possible to give suppressed weapons two firing sounds- one with subsonic ammo and one with normal ammo? Because the latter would be much louder. In Arma the muzzle blast is the same, even if SD rounds have no ballistic crack.

The ACE sound for the Tac-50 is so incredibly quiet it seems like it must be a subsonic round.

AFAIK the actual sound of the muzzle is impossible to change when you change ammo, which is why it is the same, but for the TAC 50 there seems to only be 1 type of ammo, which is the regular one. The real reason for subsonic ammunition is not for less noise on the muzzle, but for eliminating the supersonic crack.

okay, so you are saying that it is intentional to have two bullets with the same name, and that when I have an SD weapon the non SD bullet is replaced with the SD bullet, giving a suppressed effect but non suppressed ballistics.

For what I have seen on wikipedia, SD bullets give an even better sound reduction, even on silenced weapons, at the expenses of range. If that it's true I would expect to have proper SD bullets, meaning some that are real SD and don't replace the non SD.

Now I understand why I could shoot so far with the M110 SD bullets :)

EDIT - yeah, I think you confirmed in your latest post: SD bullets are quieter

Edited by dontknowhow

Can anyone tell me how to use the C4? It lets me place it, but no action menu to detonate it. However, when placing claymores I get an action menu to take safety off claymore and then detonate. I figured the same would happen with C4 but I get nothing and can't figure out how to set it off. Any help would be great, thanks.

Aim at it and some options come up for arming/etc.; you need to be looking directly at it, very tricky with bouncing betties, especially when dug in

Hey guys - about the HALO stuff: I will update the ACE2 features wiki to give some tips on how mission makers can use the scripts. Just give me a couple of days. Thanks for the feedback on the 'chutes; and if you have any issues don't hesitate to report them over at the tracker (or look for existing tickets to add your supporting info to) :)

Nevermind. I think I found what I needed.

While SD bullets might make less muzzle noise, their true purpose is to remove the supersonic crack. I don't know if you ever heard one IRL, but from an M24, at 250m, the crack of the bullet going above you is about as loud if not louder than the shot itself. Of course if you don't hear the shot itself it's quite hard to tell where it's coming from even after hearing the crack.

Nevermind. Fix it again. My apologies.

Edited by Manzilla

Parachuting....After the last update, flickers left to right so I can't see where I'm landing. Before the update, it was beautiful.

Also when you have a parachute in you gear then parajump...for some reason it disappears occasionally.

While SD bullets might make less muzzle noise, their true purpose is to remove the supersonic crack. I don't know if you ever heard one IRL, but from an M24, at 250m, the crack of the bullet going above you is about as loud if not louder than the shot itself. Of course if you don't hear the shot itself it's quite hard to tell where it's coming from even after hearing the crack.

I see, thank you for the explanation. I would still think an SD bullet might be useful, although not often (wikipedia seems to agree with me :)), but I get the point. So no reason to discuss any further.

Only one thing: would it be possible to make it clear in the documentation? At least in the class list? Maybe even removing the "fake" SD completely. It's a bit confusing, because they are also in the ammo list for the specific weapon (I see for example ACE_20Rnd_762x51_S_M110 for both the M110 and M110 SD). I see that this trick of using double items seems to be used more often, because CQB weapons are probably there for a similar reason. It might be an idea to point it out somehow (for CQB it is far less of a problem though)

Thanks

AFAIK the actual sound of the muzzle is impossible to change when you change ammo, which is why it is the same, but for the TAC 50 there seems to only be 1 type of ammo, which is the regular one. The real reason for subsonic ammunition is not for less noise on the muzzle, but for eliminating the supersonic crack.

Well here's what I still can't figure out. Does the shooter hear the supersonic (ballistic) crack as a noise combining simultaneously with the muzzle blast?

If so, that explains why a suppressed M4 is really quite loud while an MP5 gives off a faint *click.*

But since it is a sonic sound wave, only people close behind or beside the shooter would hear combined muzzle blast and ballistic crack, so the target still wouldn't be able to pinpoint the position of the firer. Could they possibly hear the echo of the ballistic crack without being hit by the original soundwave?

So yeah, it may be beside the point of a subsonic round, but shouldn't the noise be markedly quieter?

Edit: And I can no longer get RPGs to set off flares.

Hi all

Lots of CTDs due to latest ACE weapon and explosion sounds.

Sad Walker

Hi all

Lots of CTDs due to latest ACE weapon and explosion sounds.

Sad Walker

I've been blowing stuff up with A-10s all day in a mission with AKs out the ears, and no problems. Which sounds are causing CTD?

I remember ECS where i crawled upon a russian roadblock and a UAZ stood parked on the road. The soldiers was standing around the car and i heared the orders/traffic from the radio even from the ditch even though not very loud. Very immersive. Its also very seldom the ACE radio sounds i noticed. I guess its not that easy finding good radio transmissions. Very nice you implemented it however.

Yeah that's why I made that ticket, they are really cool samples. I don't know if it's possible but if the sounds were affected differently by the type of vehicle. Like in your story, with the UAZ, it could be heard outside. But with a tank or helo you would have to be inside. Looking forward to Monday's tweaks :)

^^Definatelly. :)

With lighter vehicles the sound could be heared some 10-20 meter radius even though low at that the radius edge, and from tanks/helos it could be heared as now - very short radius.

I dont think ACE has inside radio sounds though? I only heared it outside so far wich is cool by me cause it adds to the immersion big time. Inside can be disturbing yet good if lower inside and little louder outside. Not loud, but you know what i mean. Tricky one to get really good - i know.

Im sure the ACE team will get there. :)

You only hear a supersonic crack if the relative speed between you and the bullet is bigger than the speed of sound. If the bullet is moving away from you then the relative speed at which it's moving at you is negative, which means no supersonic crack.

@Alex72

I think that having inside radio sounds would be good too (optional module ftw). Just imaging rolling into a town in a Humvee and hearing the crackle of the radio, or providing CAS in an A10 and having the occasional reminder that you're not alone. Something to break the silence ;)

Deffo man! Im with ya homey. :D Just meant not too loud so you can have it plus scream on your mates at the same time!

Lets see what the boys come up with. :cool:

Updater GUI (0.9.8) and the Portal are both now completely hooked into Gamespy:

* http://updater.dev-heaven.net/stats/history

* http://updater.dev-heaven.net/main (See the servers below)

* http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/news

Mods available on the network are auto linked, and incase of the Updater GUI, will be auto installed.

Mods that are already installed, will also be auto-selected when joining a server over Gamespy.

Future support planned for determining which addons are allowed, by addon signature keys.

The portal is filtered for dedicated-servers-only.

* Main

* Updating gamespy list

* Servers incl filtering

* Server details incl players (not very pretty yet :P)

Hopefully more improvements and refinement for next weeks :)

@Walker: Please create a report with details as described in the instructions at: http://ace.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Bug_Reporting

Especially interested in the rpt :)

Edited by Sickboy